• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC vacation trades for....????

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
Just curious if anyone can tell me where to find DVC members who might want to "trade" for somethink like Hyatt or Marriott [I know, I know...not likely..LOL....doesn't hurt to research :) ].. for 2020. Disneyworld....animal kingdom or ???

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tug marketplace would be a good place to post an ad. I would suggest offering an up trade, because an even trade isn't likely to be even in $ Value. (Unless you're talking oceanfront Maui or something similar).

I'd think you might have a better chance with an offer like a 2 bedroom for 5 nights in a one-bedroom or something like that.

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tug marketplace would be a good place to post an ad. I would suggest offering an up trade, because an even trade isn't likely to be even in $ Value. (Unless you're talking oceanfront Maui or something similar).

I'd think you might have a better chance with an offer like a 2 bedroom for 5 nights in a one-bedroom or something like that.

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the advice. I will try that. I've done alot of private trades over the years, but it takes alot of time for it all to work out so everyone is happy.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Try Mouseowners.
I've done trades there as well as here.

Also try the DVC facebook groups.
Might find a taker there if you have something high end.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I think you need to price out how much the Disney vacation is worth as a rental and then offer something that has equivalent value if a DVC member were renting their points. So if you want one week in an Animal Kingdom savanna view in September (lowest season), that is 209 points for the week. The DVC maintence fee is $7.44 PP but they could easily rent it out for at least $15 PP without much effort. So that brings the rental price to $3135. If you could offer an Animal Kingdom owner a trade worth $3135, you may get a taker.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I wish we had another forum to trade premium and/or high value weeks/locations other than TUG marketplace. I tried it a few years ago and only got those wanting to "trade-up" mud weeks vs. fair exchanges. Maybe a separate marketplace for Hyatt, HGVC, MArriott, DVC + other non-branded but high season prime locations (such as summer beach, winter SW FL, ski weeks).
OTOH, I've had great luck with other tuggers who messaged me and vice-versa.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I wish we had another forum to trade premium and/or high value weeks/locations other than TUG marketplace. I tried it a few years ago and only got those wanting to "trade-up" mud weeks vs. fair exchanges. Maybe a separate marketplace for Hyatt, HGVC, MArriott, DVC + other non-branded but high season prime locations (such as summer beach, winter SW FL, ski weeks).

Good idea...I agree!

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think its really unlikely that would fix the problem. It isn't like the Tug Marketplace exchange board has so many ads its hard to wade through them.

People (tuggers especially) are spoiled being able to uptrade through RCI/II that they think they can do that in private trades too, but it absolutely doesn't work. People need to ask themselves "If someone offered me this trade the other way, would I consider it." If it isn't somewhat equal from a value perspective, its really unlikely that someone will accept it.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I have done like-for-like trades before with tuggers (not on marketplace) and no one was trying to trade up. Imho, those who own dvc, Hyatt, Marriott, etc. are paying a premium in annual fees and are already at the top of the timeshare spectrum.
One of my trades was for a lower quality unit but at prime location/date. Both parties got what they wanted. Upgraded digs in shoulder season for downgraded digs of prime week/location.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have done like-for-like trades before with tuggers (not on marketplace) and no one was trying to trade up. Imho, those who own dvc, Hyatt, Marriott, etc. are paying a premium in annual fees and are already at the top of the timeshare spectrum.
One of my trades was for a lower quality unit but at prime location/date. Both parties got what they wanted. Upgraded digs in shoulder season for downgraded digs of prime week/location.

Exactly! If one thing about the week you want (location, quality, season, size) is better than your week, you probably need to offer an upgrade on something else on that list.

A 4* shoulder season for a 3* high season fits that description for sure.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While I agree somewhat in principle, the reality is that most trades are not truly like for like. A significant portion of TUG members, and timesharer's in general, tend to be averse, maybe even downright insulted, for an asynchronous trade such as a 2 BR for a 1 BR, a full week for a shorter time or some other adjustment. And many are simply looking to score a deal rather than orchestrate a "fair" trade. There are advantages and disadvantages for both sides doing a direct exchange. My experience has suggested it's just not worth it. I'll trade through RCI trading for DVC and rent my DVC points where applicable. For DVC you'll likely come out ahead renting out the points and have more safeguards AND options renting the alternative option. About the only way I'd even look at it as a DVC member would be for someone I know or if something fell into my lap and even then, I'd want to be the one traveling first AND I'd want it to be a truly fair trade considering rental prices and the like.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
People (tuggers especially) are spoiled being able to uptrade through RCI/II that they think they can do that in private trades too
TUGgers are more inclined than average to really want a deal. While I'm sure you can find people who will be reasonable in their expectations, I suspect most of us are not.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Are there very many DVC owners who would want to trade into Wyndham? I live right near WDW and would gladly trade a 2 bedroom deluxe for DVC studios. That would be a fair trade right? I'm thinking 1 DVC point is equal to about 2,000 Wyndham points.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Are there very many DVC owners who would want to trade into Wyndham? I live right near WDW and would gladly trade a 2 bedroom deluxe for DVC studios. That would be a fair trade right? I'm thinking 1 DVC point is equal to about 2,000 Wyndham points.

Here’s the way I’d think about that.

Let’s say you want to exchange with a DVC owner for a week in a studio at the Polynesian, lagoon view, in Magic season. That’s 199 points.

The DVC owner could, with zero work, rent those points through a broker for $15/point, or $3000. Or the DVC owner could put a little work into renting those points herself and get $18/pt, or $3500.

Using the broker has no risk, so let’s say the DVC owner does that. Is your exchange a better value to them than renting a Wyndham week from a rental source? If I go directly to the Wyndham website and I can could book a 2BR over Thanksgiving 2019 (say) at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for $2838. So it would really make no sense for the DVC owner to do that trade when they could do a zero risk rental of their points through a broker and then turn around and do a zero risk rental of the unit they want from Wyndham directly.

There are possibly DVC units that this would work for- lower season studios at lower point resorts. But universally I wouldn’t say that a DVC studio is an even trade for a Wyndham 2BR. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t. You have to look at a number of different scenarios to figure it out.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are and for those willing to do like for like on true value, they might be able to make it work. That's esp true if they are able to get a high demand option from Wyndham. Likely the best location to try are the rent/trade boards at Mouseowners and Disboards. Just be sure to read the rules carefully as they are very strict though likely the latter more so.

For me personally I wouldn't put the effort in, and I love a good chase. Effectively it's like 2 rentals where the stars have to align but one has more risk than the other if they travel last.

Have you tried for an exchange? With an ongoing search you should be able to get SSR studio or 1 BR (likely 1BR) for roughly $400 plus the Wyndham points. A direct exchange will likely cost more points but save those dollars and give you access to other resorts plus more flexibility. IMO the best way for this to work is to find someone you can partner with so each can get the benefit of both systems.

Lookingtobuy

Reaction score
Here’s the way I’d think about that.

Let’s say you want to exchange with a DVC owner for a week in a studio at the Polynesian, lagoon view, in Magic season. That’s 199 points.

The DVC owner could, with zero work, rent those points through a broker for $15/point, or $3000. Or the DVC owner could put a little work into renting those points herself and get $18/pt, or $3500.

Using the broker has no risk, so let’s say the DVC owner does that. Is your exchange a better value to them than renting a Wyndham week from a rental source? If I go directly to the Wyndham website and I can could book a 2BR over Thanksgiving 2019 (say) at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for $2838. So it would really make no sense for the DVC owner to do that trade when they could do a zero risk rental of their points through a broker and then turn around and do a zero risk rental of the unit they want from Wyndham directly.

There are possibly DVC units that this would work for- lower season studios at lower point resorts. But universally I wouldn’t say that a DVC studio is an even trade for a Wyndham 2BR. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t. You have to look at a number of different scenarios to figure it out.

Hi guys. Who are these brokers? I want to rent my Dvc points out

Thx

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Thx. Do u know what they charge?
They dont charge anything to you sort of. They rent your points for $18-$19 a point and pay you $14-$15. They make $3-$4 of every point from the renters payment.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk