• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC help figuring it out

Reaction score
Trying to figure it out in terms of resale cost vs direct. Ideally we want the option for both Animal Kingdom Savannah view and Aulani. 2 bedroom for both locations. Family of five maybe six in the future. Which use year since we got kids and how many points. If I understand things correctly I would need about 500 points for either locations at any time. With direct that be about $94000??? How to make this work with resale to make it work. Hopefully I am clear in my request/question. Thanks.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
500 should be a little over for AKV Savannah and a little under for Aulani OV assuming 7 nights during the summer since this is Magic Season for WDW and Premier for HI. It'd be premier for WDW for easter. That's assuming 2 BR but if you were OK with a 1 BR (pullout plus smaller pullout sleep 5) then it'd be a little less. It really depends on how flexible you are within the school calendar and ho frequently you are likely to go to each. Assuming every other year at each and that you're well versed in all the WDW resorts but set on AKV almost all trips, my first thought would be to buy 2 contracts, one at each of at least 250, probably a little more. Resale that's roughly $100 per point. I'd also make it a priority for Aulani to find a subsidized contract. You'll pay a little more up front but end up far better off long term. And I'd suggest you consider one and see how it goes. You might also want to look at non DVC for HI which will give you more a lot more options and likely be cheaper still long term.

The best UY is the one that starts just before your usual trips, if that's summer, June is likely best but for Spring break March is likely best. And it may be the retail perks are worth it in your situation so you might buy resale then do a retail add on of 75 pts for the perks. With the pass discounts you might be able to make up the difference in a few years depending on how you used it. If you don't have enough DVC experience/knowledge for the various resorts buying just SSR will be cheaper still both short and long term and should get you in to those options routinely but cannot be guaranteed. That's esp true if you are fairly flexible and/or want to try multiple resorts over time. SSR should offer modest up front savings but it'll save you almost $1 pp over AKV and over that on Aulani non subsidized. At this amount of points I would buy 2 separate contracts even if the same resort but personally I'd give myself options.

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
You've got lots of reading to do! I've been on TUG forever, and there is a lot of good information here, but there are some dedicated DVC websites that are very helpful also. I bought a resale DVC last summer, and since then things have changed some on the resale side. Here are some websites that will help:

https://dvcnews.com/

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/

There are a bunch of DVC resellers who run reputable businesses. I bought my DVC contract through the following company, but there are plenty of other choices:

https://www.resalesdvc.com/

Read everything that you can, and ask questions on the message boards. Best wishes on your purchase!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It's important for you to buy AKL because if you don't, you won't get many consecutive nights without that long booking window.

I was unable to get anything at AKL early January. This is new because I used to be able to book at 7 months with no issues. Beach Club is nearly impossible for anything anymore. I would own Beach Club, if I could buy at this point of my life. We own 500 points, half at OKW and half at SSR.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 500 points, half at OKW and half at SSR.

Just to clarify for n00bies: when you own 2 resorts, you can only combine points at the 7 month window (not 11 months out). But you can use 250 current OKW + 250 borrowed OKW to book OKW for 2020, and then bank the 250 SSR pts to use in 2021 with 250 current SSR pts in 2021, and rotate resorts every other year...

I have an Oct UY - I like to travel in Nov and Dec. An Oct UY is pretty much ideal for that. When I go online in Jan 2020 to book December 2020, I can use banked Oct 2019 pts (if any) + current Oct 2020 pts (they are current based on the dates of the stay - the date I call or go online to book is irrelevant) + borrowed Oct 2021 pts (if needed).

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Disboards.com has lots of info. I suggest starting with pointe for every other year. You can bank and borrow. You’ll likely find that your vacation style changes over the years. 500 is a lot of points.
You can transfer in pints 1x a year and it’s not too hard to find owners to transfer points. I’d try try 1st imho.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
Disboards.com has lots of info. I suggest starting with pointe for every other year. You can bank and borrow. You’ll likely find that your vacation style changes over the years. 500 is a lot of points.
You can transfer in pints 1x a year and it’s not too hard to find owners to transfer points. I’d try try 1st imho.
But it may be hard to find a transfer of a smaller number of points. Most owners want to transfer all the points they have, not just a few. You are limited to one transfer in or out each year.