• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

dry red wine vs beef broth

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am cooking a leg of lamb for the first time over the weekend. The recipe calls for
  • 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
They seem like very different things. I generally don't cook with wine so am leaning toward the beef broth.

Any arguments that wine would make for a better leg of lamb.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am cooking a leg of lamb for the first time over the weekend. The recipe calls for
They seem like very different things. I generally don't cook with wine so am leaning toward the beef broth.

They are just flavoring agents. If you are cooking an entire leg of lamb, you would want at least a full cup of one or the other, and probably more. The spices you choose will make more of a difference in the ultimate taste of the dish than whether wine or beef broth is used.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

I would use a Cabernet Souvignon, (not broth- unless someone has a thing about wine. 1/4 cup isn't much) and minced garlic. Serve with mint jelly. What time's dinner?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Red wine will make it a little sweeter. I generally use chicken broth but if I were to pick one of the two listed, I would pick beef broth. I don't like entree that is sweet, with sweet glaze or balsamic reduction.

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I have tried to like lamb, but just don't. Must have inherited that from my grandfather who worked transporting sheep on ships on Lake Erie. According to my mother he thought lamb tasted like the sheep smelled.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
During a trip to my Brother and SIL's House Patti made a Beef Stew and a couple nights later a Red Spagetti Sauce. SIL was raving about the meals. Patti told her that when you start with frying a couple pieces of bacon (remove after they well done) in the Pot and add 1/2 bottle of Red Wine everything turns out very tasty.

Many people do not like Lamb for 2 reasons: 1. The Lamb is not young and fresh; and, 2. People cook it incorrectly.

Now if you want to really try a healthy and flavorable red meat try Goat. Though Goat can be hard to find. I will buy an entire rear leg and have them cut it in about 1.5 inch strips at a Mexican Butcher Shop.

I am really spoiled because Patti is a fantastic Chef/Cook.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe translate that into beef broth or grape broth.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thanks for all the advice. I kind of wish I could cut it in two and try it both ways. I think I will go with the wine as I don't think 1/2 cup for 7 pound leg will do all that to the taste but perhaps will help make it more tender.

When I was little we did lamb with the mint jelly and I never liked it but when I grew up I had it at Greek and other middle Eastern restaurants as well as Indian places. We cook lamb chops on the grill and even lamb shoulder. There was a sale at the store on the leg which is normally over $30 for $17 so I decided I would give it a try rather than the more traditional beef or pork roast for a Sunday family meal.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I love lamb. My mom used to serve us lamb chops on a semi-regular basis and that was usually my request for my birthday.

About using wine vs beef broth. Dh does the cooking, he will usually use wine, unless we don't have any available for cooking. Then he will use beef broth.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Thanks for all the advice. I kind of wish I could cut it in two and try it both ways. I think I will go with the wine as I don't think 1/2 cup for 7 pound leg will do all that to the taste but perhaps will help make it more tender.

Assuming you are roasting the leg of lamb: The acid in the wine won't have much, if any, impact on tenderness; that is for pot roasting/braising/stewing where the meat is down in amongst the wine. In addition, the wine won't impact the flavor very much other than a little basting throughout (which I don't do anyway with roast lamb). The main impact is on the flavor of the gravy. You will use it to deglaze the pan of all the drippings and make gravy. If you want a little sweetness in your gravy, use wine. If not, use beef broth. Chicken broth is a more neutral flavor and you can even use a little water.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Man. I kind of like savory over sweet. I guess back to beef broth.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I love lamb. My mom used to serve us lamb chops on a semi-regular basis and that was usually my request for my birthday.

About using wine vs beef broth. Dh does the cooking, he will usually use wine, unless we don't have any available for cooking. Then he will use beef broth.

I am reminded that there was a diet plan (maybe Scarsdale??) 40 or so years ago that had me eating certain foods on certain days. Mom made lamb chops, as was called for in that day's diet menu. That was it for me on that plan. Bring on the chocolate chip cookies!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Bring on the chocolate chip cookies!

DW is baking 144 (12 dozen) cookies (6 varieties) for a Christmas party this year.
However, not all of them will make it to the party itself. :thumbup: