• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Drone captures flash flood during Maui hike

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
"They said that the guidebooks recommend these hikes, but that they don’t warn you about how dangerous they can be. He explained that because of water diversions up in the mountains, rain water is funneled to this single stream, causing it to flood in seconds. These rescuers perform these rescues weekly, and they said that they were happy that on that day they were all successful rescues rather than retrieving bodies as they unfortunately often must do."

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
When were visiting friends on Maui one time and stopped at the Seven Pools, they cautioned us that when in that kind of terrain to always be alert for the sound of bongo drums in the distance. And if you hear that, get to high ground immediately because that is the sound of a descending flash flood. Duly noted.

Later we learned that a flash flood hit the Seven Pools about two hours after we left, and some people - staying at the same resort that we were at - were swept into the ocean, with one death.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Wow. That was scary to watch.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
This reminder is on the Kalalau Trail in Kauai.

2011%20Hawaii%20013-L.jpg

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We did the 2 mile hike to the Beach several years ago. It is more like a climb up and down with some of the steps being 15 to 20 inches. After spending some time on the Beach but staying out of the water we then hiked the 2 miles up to the waterfall. The waterfall was gorgeous. Total hike 8 miles. Lots of up and down; and, forced the river several times. Total time about 8 hours. Since the major storms last April we have wondered about the condition of the trail.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We did the 2 mile hike to the Beach several years ago. It is more like a climb up and down with some of the steps being 15 to 20 inches. After spending some time on the Beach but staying out of the water we then hiked the 2 miles up to the waterfall. The waterfall was gorgeous. Total hike 8 miles. Lots of up and down; and, forced the river several times. Total time about 8 hours. Since the major storms last April we have wondered about the condition of the trail.
You still can't get to the trail head because they haven't finished repairing the road to it. I'm not sure they've been able to even evaluate the effort to restore the trail to make it safe again.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
We're at the end of a 23 night stay in Hawaii, and if we had a nickel for every person we saw disregarding warning signs - some of them serious, like don't go up to the blow hole and look down into it - I could pay for this vacation all over again. There were beaches with red flags and lifeguards telling people to stay out of the water due to heavy shore break and dangerous currents - with kids playing in the surf. So many times I cringed in anxiety from what others were doing ... unreal!

mj2vacation

Reaction score
Too many visitors think Hawaii is all lollipops and unicorns but it's not Disney just nature in the raw. There's a chart online showing the drownings on Kauai, some of those beautiful beaches can be lethal.
I grew up on an island. Been swimming since I was 2. The water in Hawaii is the first time that I have ever been nervous. It is rough, and unlike the east coast, you can’t predict wave flow as well.

Maui has seen a spike in drownings, part of the speculation is that full face masks are contributing to it. Some don’t exchange enough air.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't need to see that. From the title I thought I was going to see a flash flood showing the power of water. Not a flash flood with people in it.