• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

driving down to Disney in Jan - where to stay off of 95

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bentley Brook
I am planning on a driving vacation from MA to WDW in Jan 2020. We will be staying at Bonnet Creek resort, most likely, since I have Wyndham points and there is availability in that non holiday season in Jan.

I will have my son who is in a wheelchair, so doing the 20 hour drive is not going to work (I have done it in the past when he was 10 years younger, and survived!).

Where are the places to stay that are in RCI and maybe allow only one night. I can book 2 nights, but only stay one night since I have a lot of RCI points, but I would rather not. I see Savannah but I need another place between DC and there. DC to where I live in MA is a breeze of a drive for me, but I know I will need to stop shortly after DC. I really don't want too far off the highway (maybe an hour?), so some places I was interested in are out. Since it is just for overnight, breakfast and maybe a few hours if it is something to see, we are not looking for 4 star accommodations - just a bed and a place that has an elevator to the units.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We used to drive from Orlando to Boston every summer when our kids were small.
We would stop in Petersburg, Virginia. But the area has changed. The places we stayed are no longer there.
More recently when we travel, by car, we stay at IHG affiliated hotels because we have points thru HICV.
If you are just stopping for the night, Richmond, Virginia is a good place to stop.
Have you considered taking the auto train?
You can pick it up in Lortan, Virginia and it takes you to Sanford, FL. My parents took this a few times.
Safe travels,
Silentg

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
we take the autotrain all the time. love it.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you have hotel reward points I would book that rather than through rci or just book a hotel/motel direct. If you are going to stop only one night I also would try to get south of DC on your first night.
Alternatively you could make a 3 night stop in Alexandria or Williamsburg either on the way down or back and book through Wyndham.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, when I moved people from New England to Florida, truckers regularly used US 301 to avoid I -95. I can't speak to specific hotels that could be booked with RCI Points, as I used Choice Hotels discounts.

Jim

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
If you own Wyndham, they have a nice place in Santee two minutes off 95

Massachusetts to Santee would be quite a drive. If we don't take the AutoTrain, we would stop in Santee as being more or less half way. But, we're starting in Northern Virginia. It's becoming very difficult, if not impossible, to get a single night at Santee (Wyndham Lake Marion).

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Dupe

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would stop in Rocky Mount, Wilson, or Lumberton in North Carolina. All of them have a wide variety of good one night hotel brands (Comfort Inn, Fairfield, etc.). They also have good restaurant options, gas stations, and are right off the highway. I'd look for a hotel for about $125 per night with free breakfast. Get some sleep, eat, gas up and back on 95.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
the short answer is this - stay off 95 everywhere! :D

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've made this drive too, but with 2 drivers, and stopped in Petersburg,VA, about 2 hours south of DC. There's a Hampton Inn & Holiday Inn Express (where we stayed), clean, comfortable, easy parking & conveniently located just off Exit 45 of I-95. Oh, and we paid just under $100/nt. I'm sure any of the major hotel brands along the way would be acceptable.

We also found that the Petersburg and Mechanicsville areas had the best gas prices (though they are at opposite ends of I-295 (the bypass road around Richmond). Depending on the time of day passing through you might consider using the bypass around Jacksonville, FL too. I don't envy you that long drive ...

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in Gaithersburg, Maryland, a couple of years ago--I think on the way to Williamsburg, Virginia. There's a Marriott and a Courtyard by Marriott there that are right off the highway and walking distance to a nice area with restaurants and movies. In fact I think the Courtyard is right IN the shopping area. HTH!

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
the short answer is this - stay off 95 everywhere! :D

Much as I despise I-95, this is not a very helpful comment. There are no alternatives if one is driving.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Much as I despise I-95, this is not a very helpful comment. There are no alternatives if one is driving.

I know you're correct about that Jim - there is just something about that interstate - every inch of it that I have traveled over the years reminds me how bad an interstate system can be....I can't think of any other interstate in the U.S. that is as depressing, extracts more money per mile from those who travel it, and just feels as blighted as I-95.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
The Washington area is the worst (other than NYC). I've been going around NYC for about 30 years and have even taken a more westerly route to avoid the Washington area. I even have taken the Delmarva route to Williamsburg to avoid the Washington area.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a very nice Hilton Garden Inn in Wilson, NC. off I95. Accommodation are nice and they have an excellent breakfast buffet. We stop here for breakfast on our way to Hilton Head or to Myrtle Beach, Sc.

I95 from Virginia to Florida is not that bad of a drive unless there is an accident or highway construction IMHO. We always drive I95 South to Orlando, Florida.

We normally may three (3) stops: Wilson,NC for breakfast; Lumberton, NC for lunch and Savanna, Georgia for dinner and a over night stay in a hotel.

The next morning we will drive to Orlando with stops for a ligh snack and lunch.

Last edited:

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Get gas in VA as NC gas is higher cost.. Cheap gas in VA is at 11b (emporia exit) heading south.. exit to right and see gas at 1.99 at exxon or sunoco stations. when you hit SC around the Florence area be on the lookout for cheap gas.. We use gasbuddy app to find best price usually around exit 164. from there we hit exit 3 or 1 in georgia for cheap gas before you hit florida. sometime you can find good prices in around orlando if you look on gasbuddy.

be sure to use google maps with the route so if something come up, wreck, etc you will see it before you hit it and can divert you around the mess.. (its saved my bacon several times coming and going from NC to WDW.) when we stop I try to scroll up the road to see if anything looks like it might be popping up.. RED !!!

happy travels and hey to mickey.. gasbuddy.com

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please use gasbuddy.com app to find cheap gasoline along I95 South & North. Gasoline is resonable in Virginia, South Carolina & Georgia.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
We usually stop to see Pedro at South of the Border tho I only stayed at a motel there once.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP and anyone driving thru Emporia,Virginia please observe their speed limits.

Smoky the Bear will give you a speeding ticket.

We normally stop the next exit after Pedro on I95.

Regular gasoline prices are a few cents cheaper.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I go north. End of story.