• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"Don't miss" in San Diego

Emily

TUG Member
Reaction score
Travel and accommodations are set and we are excited. My calendar is jammed until we leave so I am feeling a little apprehensive over the fact that I don't have a list of what to see and eat yet for San Diego.

It is just my husband and I (first time in 20 years) traveling. We will be in San Diego for 5 days. We are planning on the zoo. Not planning on Sea World - one in Fla visited 4 years ago.

We will have a car. We are staying in a B&B on Sail Bay in Mission Park

Looking for a "don't miss list" of places to see and eat. My husband and I like most cuisines, neither of us drink.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would expect your B & B hosts would be the best source

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might enjoy dining at The Marine Room in La Jolla. It has a large window and it right on the coastline. Great views all the time.

San diego has so many things to offer. What type of things are you interested in? History? Beaches? That will help narrow down suggestions.

Also, the Hotel del Coronado, in Coronado, is a nice place to visit. It has a lot of history.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course while at the zoo, in Balboa park, there is so much more. The Natural History Museum, great classic car and airplane museums. One of- if not the- largest outdoor organ (free recitals). A conservatory, a Japanese garden. The Prado Restaurant (and others). There are artists studios. More More More. And that's just in Balboa Park.

We love Little Italy in SD. Good and relatively inexpensive eats. Historic Old Towne. Great Mexican food. At either of these, just park and walk around. Trust your nose (and the line outside) for a good recommendation.

Take in a ball game. Eat overpriced brats and peanuts.

These are a few of our SD favorites.

Jim

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Here's a link to an earlier thread with lots of suggestions. http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174885&highlight=san+diego

Depending on what you like to do I would list must-do's in no particular order:

Balboa Park (Zoo + The Prado restaurant)
Coronado Island (Bike riding, Peohe's, Miguels, the beach and of course, The Hotel Del Coronado)
Little Italy/ the embarcadero/the Midway museum
La Jolla (La Jolla Shores, George's at the Cove - or the patio upstairs, The Marine Room)

Sorry - just realized I repeated some of the other suggestions! Great minds think alike!

lizfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Snorkeling in La Jolla Cove is must and La Jolla in general is a great place to go. Lots of upscale food and dining.

lizfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant lots of upscale shopping and dining in my previous post- NOT lots of upscale food and dining. Too much multi-tasking I guess:)

bshmerlie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this may sound crazy but a couple of years ago we did a first timers skydiving jump. You could see the whole city and ocean as you're floating down. It was $179 a person.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I live in SD

Make a res at Jakes in Del Mar for dinner. Ask for a window table at 5:00 pm when they first seat for dinner. Take your time eating so that you can see the sunset. Jakes in right ON THE BEACH. After dinner take off your shoes and walk in the sand and get your toes wet. If you want one "special" dinner to remember, this is it.

Walk out to the end of the pier in Oceanside (there are other piers too). Ruby's is a diner at the end and is good for hamburgers or just a drink.

Midway museum/aircraft carrier - - plan on 6 hours

Go out on a SD harbor cruise - - 1 or 2 hours - relaxing - beverage and snacks served.

Rent a small sailboat in mission bay. No experience required although perhaps helpful

Old Town SD - walk in old shops, museums and have dinner.

Sat or Sunday afternoon in Balboa park watching the performers. Have dinner and/or drinks at the Prado.

Tijuana - NO - don't risk it. Rental car agreements not in force across the border - bad idea - don't take a chance to ruin your vacation.

I forget when you said you are coming. If after November consider driving out to Anza Borrego NP and go through the visitor center and walk back to palm canyon. Dress appropriately for the weather and bring water.

Mission San Louis Rey (Fallbrook/Oceanside) and Mission San Diego De Alcala (San Diego) are interesting as is the Mission San Louis Rey de assension south of Temecula.

Temecula wine tasting followed by checking out the antique shops in Temecula old town area.

Children's pool in La Jolla - - sit and watch the waves, people and seals.

Report back what you did and what you liked/didn't like

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoyed Cabrillo National Historic Park. It has an outstanding view on a clear day. We were lucky and saw a "black" submarine coming into port on the day we were there. There is a website that gives driving directions, hours, etc.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here's a second for the Midway. I went because my husband wanted to go and figured a couple of hours and we'd be gone. I was fascinated. We went early and arrived about when they opened. We ate lunch on board, and shortly before they closed, we left.

As to visiting Tijuana, I would disagree with the poster above. It is NOT true that rental car agreements are not in force there; many companies, including Avis allow their cars across the border. Naturally, since we live 6 mts. of the year in Rosarito Beach, which is 30 minutes south of Tijuana, I prefer Rosarito, but Tijuana is safe, and if that's on your wish list, don't be afraid to do it. If it isn't, don't fret about adding it: San Diego has enough for days and days.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
As to visiting Tijuana, .

I would disagree AGREE with the poster above. It is NOT true that rental car agreements are not in force there; many companies, including Avis allow their cars across the border.

Naturally, since we live 6 mts. of the year in Rosarito Beach, which is 30 minutes south of Tijuana, I prefer Rosarito, but Tijuana is safe[INCREDIBLY DEPRESSING, DIRTY AND DANGEROUS] ,

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think the OP has mentioned if they wanted to visit Tijuana or not. I'll throw in that if you do want to (I used to go there as a kid and I really miss it), there are tour groups from San Diego. They aren't cheap, but they take you down in a bus and the driver gives a narration and then you get some time to shop and eat on your own. You board the bus at the designated time and they take you back to your hotel in San Diego.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As Presley said, OP hasn't indicated a desire to go/not go. I thought the list above was a great one for things to see and gave a second to the Midway plus my perception that visiting south of the border isn't a bad thing. I didn't mean to sidetrack the posts or start a war. It would be much better to drop the subject--especially since it probably has absoutely no relevance to the OP.