• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dog Suggestions

dogfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have been looking for a dog. My wife has some moderate dog allergies which complicate this a bit. We would most like to get a dog from a shelter as a rescue, but would consider other options. Any ideas which breeds would work best? We tend to like calmer dogs. Any ideas would be helpful as we consider our options.

Thanks.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Poodles, Schnauzers, and Maltese are all smart, easy care, non-allergenic breeds. If purchased from reputable breeders, you can usually get a good one. My caution about rescue dogs is they may have been surrendered for a reason, often related to temperament. Buyer beware.

Good luck!

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In that there is an allergy issue have you considered a standard poodle. They do not have fur but hair. Some allergic to dogs usually does well with a poodle.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Siberian huskies are also non-allergenic, though they do shed. The calm part: not nocessarily, though their energy isn't usually the hyper bark-at-every-stranger type. They're also the most beautiful. :)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have recently fallen in love with Coton de Tulear and Bichon Frise and they are both relatively hypoallergenic. However neither is a calm dog breed but they are very cute.

We won't have another pet as long as our cat is alive. We want him to be the center of our attention after he was somewhat bullied by our other super cute cat for the 11 years when we adopted both from the shelter. We had to put down the other cat this Jan. We decided that we won't have 2 pets at the same time in future.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Kaya xoxo.jpg
My mom adores her Bichon, which is also hypoallergenic. We are regulars at the dog park. If you want calm then I would avoid: Huskies, Labs, Golden Retrievers, Aussies, Border Collies, and doodles. They are all great dogs but very energetic.

We have the world's calmest dog (suspected Newfoundland mix) but she's probably not hypoallergenic. She was a rescue and came with no issues except some funky teeth so rescues can work out, but it is a crapshoot for sure. Our last Lab (and truly our last lab) was a total goofball nutjob that we had from the time he was 10 weeks old, so puppies are also a crapshoot. Good luck and let us know how this turns out!

Last edited:

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most loving dog is the Maltese, but all dogs love their master. We got a male that was two years old and had to deal with issues for years. It took a long time to break him of bad habits like peeing on plastic, or house training. Also, he is now 12 years old and stills marks everything and anything with a smell of another dog. We can’t leave him in other houses or with anyone else. Get a female dog is the lesson learned. We also had a French Poodle that was a great dog. But she was very smart and almost controlling. She barked too much and was too energetic. So maybe get a regular Poodle that is more calm. They also come in all sizes and a big one might be a better watch dog.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Btw, you can check breed specific rescues. Also some breeders sell the adult dogs that aren't being used for breeding any more and also may have puppies or adult dogs who have been returned for some reason.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If the big issue is allergies, then avoiding a mixed-breed dog should be important. Any sort of unknown parentage should be avoided, since you have no idea what you're getting. Even a mixed-breed dog that is "mostly" a non-allergenic breed can be highly allergenic from the other parental breed. A supposed-purebred from a rescue may or may not be fully purebred - how can you truly know?

Buying an adult dog from a breeder is your likely best bet, and yes, some breeders do offer retired breeding stock to pet homes. You'll have to find the right breeder, meet the right dog, and ask a lot of questions. Some of those adults who have been used for breeding (especially with a commercial breeder), may have their own set of personality issues that might cause them a difficult transition to a pet home. Again, buyer beware.

The idea should be to talk frankly with the breeder, and tell them exactly what you're after. They may have a dog, or know of one from another breeder, that is exactly what you're after. They will know their dogs, and how they are. Gender of the animal doesn't often make a difference, but females of some breeds can be more aggressive than some males. Ask the hard questions.

My sister-in-law is an internationally-recognized breeder of super-champion Parson Russell Terriers. (Her dogs often go to Westminster.) She has amazing dogs that show beautifully; they are beautiful and calm and obedient in the show ring. But at home they are active, noisy, barking machines. They set each other off, and it's a nonstop noisefest around the kennel. They're sweet as pie, but noisy as hell. So do your math - a pretty package doesn't always make a great pet. :)

Dave

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
No dog is completely non allergenic. Unless you have a totally non shedding breed, then bathe them about weekly, there will be dander which is saliva from them licking themselves, and their favorite humans. I rescued a Lowchen - that's Bear over to the left, and the reality is that I shed more than he does, but dogs just bring stuff into the house and are not the cleanest of critters. They also bring in a ton of love and it's worth the price.

I hope you can find a new friend that makes your life complete.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Siberian huskies are also non-allergenic, though they do shed. The calm part: not nocessarily, though their energy isn't usually the hyper bark-at-every-stranger type. They're also the most beautiful. :)

I had huskies and malamutes. These are dogs that need to work. They have a high activity level and they need to run and pull. They shed their fur seasonally. Great dogs- as are most- but be aware they will need training- as does any dog- and you are going to get a lot of exercise!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Look in to the soft coated Wheaton terriers
Probably not going to find one as a rescue though

View attachment 12396

I love these. I just met a couple that has a miniature one I think it was- more like a smaller, midsize dog. Very friendly. And yes- soft!

dogfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your responses. I especially enjoyed the pictures! A number of these dog types we have/are considering, but you have also given us some more ideas. We have talked some about doodles, but our son has one which we watch sometime and they probably are a bit too lively for us.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Look in to the soft coated Wheaton terriers
Probably not going to find one as a rescue though

View attachment 12396

My family had one of these when I was growing up. Great dog!

We have a Brittany now. She is a very loving dog that’s pretty easy to train. Very active, though. She needs excercise to be happy and if she gets a whiff of game birds, she goes into hunting mode.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband is allergic to almost all normal pets. It took a long time, but eventually we found out that he could tolerate poodles and bichon frises. Poodle are highly intelligent animals. BichonFrises are very loving animals.

If you look at the shelters and can spend an hour or so with the pet one on one, you'll get a good hit on whether your wife can tolerate them. Also, feeding a low processed species appropriate diet can help with the allergies (or so I've been told by many people).

If you look at poodle mixes, avoid goldendoodles. I work in a health food store for pets and have contact with many dogs every day. It's the gooldendoodles and golden retrievers that knock everything down and don't seem to know that their handlers are their handlers. They are the only dogs that are completely out of control in the store.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
We have a Havanese-Poodle who was a rescue from a pet store. Apparently in this area, if pet stores do not sell their "excess inventory", the pups are destroyed. Local rescue organizations step in and find homes for the dogs.
Neither Havaneses nor Poodles shed; they have hair. Havaneses tend to be calmer - poodles can be high strung. Our dog alternates between the two LOL. She is 9 lbs but Havaneses tend to be a bit bigger, about 13 to 15 lbs. They are great dogs.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Everybody will have an example of the "perfect" dog breed, as the great comments above demonstrate. It's a lot like choosing a greeting card for someone else to give: It doesn't always hit the mark, and everyone has their personal preferences.

Acquiring a pet, (whether through adoption or purchasing from a reseller), is a lot like buying a timeshare. It's very easy to get into one, but can be difficult to get out of one. (See what I did there? LOL!) Just like with timeshares, do your research to make sure the pet you take on is a good fit for you and your family.

Dogs, and dog breeds, are as varied as anything you can think of. Over the centuries, hundreds of dog breeds were developed for specific tasks. Form followed function. Greyhounds were bred to run. Huskies were bred to pull dogsleds. Lhasa Apso's were bred to be palace watchdogs, to sound the alarm, if an intruder happened to get past the Mastiffs guarding the perimeter. A lot of breeds were derived from other breeds, until today you can pick size, color, lifespan, general temperament, even non-allergenic traits. It's a buyers smorgasbord of options. So-called "Designer Dogs" are the worst of the lot, as people indiscriminately pick two dogs they think would make a visually interesting mutt, and breed them on and on. It's all about the money, with little to no consideration about health issues, poor genetic traits, and the general fitness of the resulting animal. These people are doing a terrible disservice to the dog world.

It's important to do your research, because even though exceptions exist to every dog rule, it isn't a fixed situation. I've known dogs that were calm and loving to their owners, but were completely out of control with anyone else. Who will watch your dog when you're away? You can't always dismiss bad behavior with, "Oh, sorry, he's excited." A wet-nosed puppy that is playful and fun and loving, will turn into an adult within six months to a year. Five pounds can easily become fifty pounds. Keep in mind the adult version of what interests you, because that cute puppy will never be this way again. Just like with children, they grow up, whether we like it or not.

I work with an older woman who was lonely, and adopted a Lab mix puppy. They loved each other, and she was devoted to her puppy. Nine months later, the dog was destroying her house, because the woman was unable to properly train or exercise it. It wasn't housebroken, barked incessantly, and dragged the poor woman down the street when she tried to walk it on a leash. She would cry at work about "What am I going to do?" She had no idea what she was going to get into.

I'm a socially active person at my work (I work for a hospital, and have a lot of people around me.) Through different conversations with different groups of people, I knew another woman who's daughter and son-in-law had just lost a younger Lab they'd adopted due to congenital heart issues. They'd mourned the loss of their dog, and wanted to adopt a young adult companion for their aging Golden Retriever. They wanted a dog that would be a good fit, and who would enjoy living on a five acre property on a lake with a long beachfront. Long story short, I put the two women in touch with each other, several meetings occurred, play dates happened, and the daughter adopted the older woman's Lab. They are all great friends, and the change is working perfectly, especially for the young female Lab, who now has manners, limits, and proper behavior. Best of all is she's exhausted at the end of every day from playing so hard, and she sleeps soundly every night. The former owner has full visiting rights, which everyone considers a win-win. Happy ending.

I offer this to give you even more to think about, because I know you don't have enough to think about on this already. LOL! :)

I hope you find the perfect dog - for you. Good luck!

Dave

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The idea should be to talk frankly with the breeder, and tell them exactly what you're after. They may have a dog, or know of one from another breeder, that is exactly what you're after. They will know their dogs, and how they are. Gender of the animal doesn't often make a difference, but females of some breeds can be more aggressive than some males. Ask the hard questions.

Dave
Well said Dave. When we were approved by the Labrador rescue we were able to give them our very specific "want" list. Since my husband was in the midst of his cancer treatment and had also had a stent placed in his heart, we were very firm that this wasn't the time for a puppy or a dog with a lot of issues. We had to have one of those dogs that I have read about over the years - calm and easy going. (Our actual list was: good with kids, adults, cats, and all other dogs, housebroken, no separation anxiety, and low to medium energy level). The woman who interviewed us told me that we were asking for a lot but I told her that I had heard that there were dogs like this and that it was our turn for one like that.

Our last two dogs, Buddy (Lab) and Mia (sheltie mix) were a handful - Buddy because he was a Lab (lol), and Mia because she was a rescue who took over a year to housebreak and hated white fluffy dogs and Beagles. Mia was ours for 15 years (she was 17 when she died) and I was tired of managing an aggressive dog. I told the rescue that we were in no hurry. It took a few months but along came Kaya (approximately 6 when she came to us) and the rest is history. For the record, she had a short haircut when we got her and I knew that she was a mix. But after 2 years, I'm certain that there is not an ounce of Lab in her. She isn't food motivated, uninterested in balls or retrieving, and is a couch potato (actually that isn't quite true - she's too lazy to get up on the couch :D ). Plus she has the longest fur of any dog that I have ever owned and has to be groomed regularly. Surprisingly she isn't doublecoated and sheds less than Buddy did. The only downside is that while she loves me, she is completely enamored with my husband. It was the opposite with Buddy and I miss that!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
No dog is completely non allergenic. Unless you have a totally non shedding breed, then bathe them about weekly ...

Jim

Ours found a solution to this problem....

20181226_161222.jpg