• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does WM take a credit card deposit for your stay?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My first WM stay happens in a few weeks. We'll be four in a 2 bedroom unit for a long weekend. Wondering if WM takes a credit card deposit for either myself or my guests? I don't know what extra charges there might be, so am just curious what to expect.

Thanks,
Dave

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
It varies some do take a deposit, some charge tot taxes, and some have never asked me for a card.

But they will always ask you for owners up date....

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Most resorts do not charge a deposit for an owner. Guests are typically asked for $150 deposit. If it's a resort called WM but really mostly Wyndham (like Pagosa Springs) they will charge a deposit.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It varies some do take a deposit, some charge tot taxes, and some have never asked me for a card.

But they will always ask you for owners up date....

Most resorts do not charge a deposit for an owner. Guests are typically asked for $150 deposit. If it's a resort called WM but really mostly Wyndham (like Pagosa Springs) they will charge a deposit.

Thanks. We're going for a family wedding/birthday/anniversary weekend, so will only be at the resort to sleep. So no, I don't have time/desire for an Owner's Update. I sincerely hope it's not a hard sell thing. ;)

Dave

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What JohnPaul said. There are a few exceptions (which should be noted in your confirmation email) but generally owners don't pay a deposit. Guests always do.

The exceptions are generally shared resorts. Notably, WM Reunion has a deposit for everyone that is PER DAY and relatively substantial ($100/day, iirc).

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation

I stayed at The Camlin this year and they charged Owners a deposit. And if memory serves me right Depoe Bay did also.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I stayed at The Camlin this year and they charged Owners a deposit. And if memory serves me right Depoe Bay did also.

FWIW we stayed at both the Camlin and Depoe Bay in May and was not asked for a deposit in either place.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
What JohnPaul said. There are a few exceptions (which should be noted in your confirmation email) but generally owners don't pay a deposit. Guests always do.

The exceptions are generally shared resorts. Notably, WM Reunion has a deposit for everyone that is PER DAY and relatively substantial ($100/day, iirc).

Yes, Reunion charges $110 for the first day and $100 per day thereafter to a max of $710.

Note that this is not a damage deposit, but is meant to cover use of pay-as-you-go amenities such as the restaurants, spa, golf courses, etc.

Reunion is not managed by Wyndham and sets its own deposit policy.

https://www.clubwyndham.com/cw/resorts/wvr-reunion-orlando.page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We'll be at Leavenworth, so I don't know how much local stuff there would be at the resort. Although I think there is a TOT tax.

Dave

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I just checked online regarding an upcoming stay at the Worldmark/Wyndham Pagosa (CO). Guess what? New wording I'd never before noticed regarding taking a Security Deposit on check-in.

WM Reservation Confirmation said:
Resort Information: Pagosa Springs ONLINE ALERT - FROM 2004-10-20 TO 2030-12-31 A security deposit is required at check-in. Guests must be 21 or older to check-in. This resort has a check-out time of 10 am. No RV parking onsite.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've sent WM numerous complains about the webpage for Pagosa Springs. Looks like the are actually acting on some of them, at least highlighting things in your confirmation such as above (one of my items).

Also, pictures have been updated to give a better representation of the overall property (not just the fanciest units).

Still nothing to let you know that a one-bedroom (not deluxe) is the small (and I do mean small) side of a two bedroom and that a one-bedroom deluxe doesn't just mean a tiny bit fancier ala normal Worldmark but actually the large side of a two bedroom lock off.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they're going to use those words very differently than the worldmark standard meanings, they should put that in the descriptions on the Webpage. I just checked and nothing it noted. "Smaller than the average WM unit" would do, and is something that they have used in other locations.

FLYNZ4

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use WM a lot, but I've never been "charged" a security deposit; the most I've seen is a credit card hold. On the grand scheme of things, why would I even care? This is no different than the (way too many) hotel biz trips I take. Hotels hold much more than the normal nightly charge. It is a general practice across the hospitality industry to put a hold on your card.

OTOH, It does tend to change human behavior for guests (at least a bit) knowing their can be financial repercussions for aberrant behavior. This certainly is not absolute, as we see at resorts during extreme rental periods (ex: volleyball weekend at Seaside). From a practical standpoint, the $100 hold doesn't amount to much. Severe damage will be charged to the account owner, not a renter.

/Jim

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
One year a Group of renters smuggled in sand and built sand castles in the living room. I wonder how much that cost the owners?

IsaiahB

Reaction score
One year a Group of renters smuggled in sand and built sand castles in the living room. I wonder how much that cost the owners?
I heard about that one! Fairly certain they charged them for all the labor and the unit unavailability.
Jim - any insight?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
What? What is wrong with people? I hope they were charged!

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they're going to use those words very differently than the worldmark standard meanings, they should put that in the descriptions on the Webpage. I just checked and nothing it noted. "Smaller than the average WM unit" would do, and is something that they have used in other locations.
This is strange since the Club Wyndham site for Durango mentions the undersized aspect of the units. Never heard that Pagosa had undersized rooms.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked online regarding an upcoming stay at the Worldmark/Wyndham Pagosa (CO). Guess what? New wording I'd never before noticed regarding taking a Security Deposit on check-in.
They may call it a Security Deposit, but every Club Wyndham resort (which Pagosa is) requires a credit card hold upon check in, regardless of ownership status.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Then there was the person that after a night of drinking go and turned on the spigot of the jetted tub, sat down on their bed, and woke up an hour or more later. The damaged extended down several floors.

Remember it is the Member that is responsible party for damamges.

FLYNZ4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard about that one! Fairly certain they charged them for all the labor and the unit unavailability.
Jim - any insight?
Yes, my understanding is that was reported to OC. I do not know first hand if OC charged the owner, but I assume they did. That would be the normal process.

/Jim

FLYNZ4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then there was the person that after a night of drinking go and turned on the spigot of the jetted tub, sat down on their bed, and woke up an hour or more later. The damaged extended down several floors.

Remember it is the Member that is responsible party for damamges.

Yes I am aware of that incident too, but I do not think it was after drinking. An incident like that would cause repairs beyond the insurance deductible. At Seaside, the deductible at the time was $25K. That is a pretty expensive bill to receive.

There are many reasons I choose to not rent. Owner liability is a big reason. The larger reason is that we really enjoy our frequent stays in great units, so we use all of our points. We will invite friends to stay with us, and I will occasionally gift a unit to a close friend. I also occasionally book for a family member... but usually get units for family when we are also present.

Several years ago at an owners meeting, Gene Hensley (then President WMtC) called out Debbie and I as the couple who use WM the most in a positive tone as what is available with WM. Our usage hasn’t diminished.

/Jim

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
They may call it a Security Deposit, but every Club Wyndham resort (which Pagosa is) requires a credit card hold upon check in, regardless of ownership status.
True, but seeing the wording on the confirmation was "new to my eyes" and I thought it might be helpful to the OP as they learn, by experience, which locations will NOT ask the owner for a credit card at check-in and which will ask for such. I was glad to see it noted on my reservation confirmation as I already knew, by experience, what to expect for this type of stay.

This is strange since the Club Wyndham site for Durango mentions the undersized aspect of the units. Never heard that Pagosa had undersized rooms.
Keep in mind that context of the comment: Worldmark owners booking Pagosa directly through WM, not through Wyndham Club Pass or Wyndham. The Worldmark resort gallery page for Pagosa does not provide any information on the differences between "1BR" vs "1BR Deluxe." The fact is that the 1BR is the "B-side" of a 2BR lockout unit; it is a small unit with a nearly unworkable "kitchen" tucked into a tight corner of the "living room" (which is basically the unit's entry way, also quite small). The 1BR Deluxe is the "A-side" of the same and is much larger ... much more "on par" with what we consider a "typical/traditional WM unit" with, perhaps, a few upgrades such as a grand pantry or extra closet.

WM locations don't often have lockout configurations ... so we aren't pre-conditioned to navigating the A-Side/B-Side layouts. Frankly, the wording on the WM resort pages fails us on this point.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As the OP for this, my question was mainly to know what to expect. If I go to a resort without any on-site paid amenities, what would they charge me for?

Dave

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As the OP for this, my question was mainly to know what to expect. If I go to a resort without any on-site paid amenities, what would they charge me for?

Dave
Do you feel your question has been adequately answered ... or is the issue still clear as mud?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Do you feel your question has been adequately answered ... or is the issue still clear as mud?

Lol! No, I’m good, thanks. Thanks for asking. My first WM stay is in five days, so I’ll learn firsthand what happens. :)

Dave