TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Does the Alaska Airline credit card Companion Fare cert work to Hawaii?

Discussion in 'Vacation Travel Information' started by dlpearson, Aug 15, 2019 at 2:44 PM.

1. dlpearson

dlpearson TUG Member

I have the Delta AMEX platinum for the companion fare ticket, but it's restricted to use within the lower 48. I just got an offer from Alaska for their Visa card. It comes with an annual companion fare for $99 + tax).

Does it work for flights to Hawaii?

Thanks,
    David

2. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OFC (Maui)
    WKV x4 (Scottsdale)
    Yes.

Which is why we have three Alaska VISA cards.

3. dlpearson

dlpearson TUG Member

4. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

Yes, it was our go to for HI, but we now have the SWA companion pass and use that. We couldn't find a good use for the AK companion pass for last year compared to discounted alternatives and points so we dropped the card.

5. dlpearson

dlpearson TUG Member

6. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

We use one of our three certs to go to Hawaii every year. One other cert gets used to go to Mexico. When we have had a surplus cert, family members at times have used it to go to Hawaii as well.

7. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 50,000
    Royal Solaris San Jose del Cavo
    Patti and I each have an Alaska Visa Cards. The Companion Fare works for all Alaskan Flights. We usually have no problem using both every year. Though one year we were getting close to losing a Companion Fare. So we used it to buy Son and DIL round trip tickets from Seattle to San Diego and they reimbursed us the actual dollars spent. The Companion Fare was really great when you could use it on First Class, but they cancelled that option about 10 years ago.

8. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Newport Coast Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY
    The other recent change to the Alaska companion ticket is that you have to pay the fare using the Alaska card. Of course you get 3x miles per dollar. However, most recently I decided to use our Chase Sapphire Reserve card to pay the airfare, so we would have travel insurance provided by that card. IIRC the Alaska Visa card doesn't provide that. Both my DW and I have the Alaska card and use both of the companion fares each year, usually for Hawaii or Mexico.

Best regards.

Mike

9. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    We have three Alaska accounts that provide companion tickets. For us, we use them for Mexico and Hawaii. At check out there is an option to purchase trip insurance for very little. Our three week trip to Mexico cost for the optional insurance was about $50 and about the same cost for our next trip to Maui. One of the cards is used to rack up miles and the other two mostly for the companion tickets. I keep thinking I need one less card and one less companion ticket but some one always uses them if we don't.

The one thing that would be nice is if the companion ticket could be used on partner airlines.

Bill

klpca likes this.
  10. jehb2

jehb2 TUG Member

The itineraries aren’t the best for me and they change my flight a gazillion times. But this deal is so good I don’t complain.

11. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

Great reminder. We have our last companion fare from our anniversary but cancelled the card because we didn't want to pay for the AF. We need to book a reservation prior to Oct 1 2019 so we can pay with another credit card.

12. artringwald

artringwald TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
    Just keep in mind that unlike most loyalty cards, the $75 annual fee is billed as soon as you get the card. The good news is that you get the companion ticket shortly after you're approved.

We liked the companion tickets years ago when you could use them for first class to Hawaii. Now you can only use them for coach.

13. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    Yes, the total cost is almost 200 for the ticket when you count the annual fee. Not as great a value when flying from the west coast.

14. easyrider

Resorts Owned:
    You are right but the companion ticket does allow two checked bags round trip. I think that is about $100 off of the $200 aprox cost to use the companion ticket unless you only have a carry on.

I was told that companion tickets can be used for Virgin Airline trips because Alaska bought Virgin.

Bill

15. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    Don't get me wrong, we use it. But the baggage discount is for 1 bag per person, with any ticket you buy on the card on the same itinerary as the cardholder, so that's not really any savings.

One of the beefs I have in this regard is that the companion ticket must be booked in a separate transaction (itinerary). So if you have 3+ family members traveling, only the cardholder and companion get free checked bags. The other 2 pay full freight. Normally 6 additional guests get free bags, so using the companion fare can hurt you.

We usually get tickets to Hawaii in the 350-450 range, so we often use it for more expensive not well planned trips with higher ticket cost.

16. easyrider

Resorts Owned:
    When I purchase tickets for others, such as family members, no one has had to pay for their checked luggage. I often use the companion ticket for us and a combination of miles and money for the others depending on who the others are. Generally, I haven't had to pay for more than six people including us on any trip in this decade.

I find that google often has better airline prices from Seattle than Alaska Airlines with a companion ticket so I absolutely get what your talking about.

Bill

17. Firepath

Firepath TUG Member

I thought the person on the account had to be on the reservation when using the Companion certificate but it sounds like I've missed out on booking for others all these years. Now I need to earn another one so I can give it a try.