• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does Manhattan Club still have 1 in 4 rule?

senorak

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been searching on TUG....but couldn't find an answer. Last time I stayed at the Manhattan Club they had the "1 in 4 rule". I didn't see that listed (when I looked into possible exchanges on RCI). ***It would be a "weeks exchange"*** I know about the $50+ fee per day.
Thanks in advance for any update.

Deb

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Yes, it is still in effect. Just to test it out, you could try to book something and see how far you get in the process. When I've tried, the system blocks me long before I have to type in a credit card number.

senorak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is that I just booked a stay at the MC. (It's been at least 5 years since my last stay there.) However I did not see the "1 in 4 rule" listed anywhere. I've been through my confirmation at least twice.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I have not seen the 1 in 4 rule listed. Stayed there back in May for 3 nights. I have a RCI points account and access to RCI points through the HGVC portal.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Well this is interesting. I signed into my RCI accounts through both HGVC and Disney, and could not find any disclosure. There is availability through Disney (another interesting bit of information). Anyway, I went part-way through the process of booking with Disney/RCI, and did not see any disclosure. I remember that in the past the 1 in 4 rule was part of the "urgent information" section, or something like that.

I stayed at the Manhattan Club in April 2019 with my HGVC/RCI account, but I can't test out a booking because that account does not show any availability right now.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
So for a new visitor to this particular thread; Can someone explain what the 1 in 4 rule is? Thanks!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
So for a new visitor to this particular thread; Can someone explain what the 1 in 4 rule is? Thanks!

Manhattan Club reservations are only allowed every four years because it is so popular. We stayed there on our first trip to NYC, but haven't even bothered to check lately because Marriott Residence Inns have kitchenettes and breakfast. RI is also our go to in cities like Chicago, Denver and Atlanta -- Denver and Atlanta also have "light" dinners on week nights for business travelers. Light could be a sandwich, or a plate of pasta and salad and bread -- in other words plenty of food. And often free wine or beer. We like the option of not having to go out for dinner, or of reheating leftovers from the previous evening's meal out.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Manhattan Club reservations are only allowed every four years because it is so popular. We stayed there on our first trip to NYC, but haven't even bothered to check lately because Marriott Residence Inns have kitchenettes and breakfast. RI is also our go to in cities like Chicago, Denver and Atlanta -- Denver and Atlanta also have "light" dinners on week nights for business travelers. Light could be a sandwich, or a plate of pasta and salad and bread -- in other words plenty of food. And often free wine or beer. We like the option of not having to go out for dinner, or of reheating leftovers from the previous evening's meal out.

Thanks for the explanation. Sort of a raw deal for the owners considering it's their home resort.

So what do the owners do for the other three years? Always trade?

And why can't owners occupy their own unit once a year? Did the Resort seriously oversell the weeks or has that yet to be established? I knew at one time there were tons of unhappy owners and lawsuits.......

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thanks for the explanation. Sort of a raw deal for the owners considering it's their home resort.

So what do the owners do for the other three years? Always trade?

And why can't owners occupy their own unit once a year? Did the Resort seriously oversell the weeks or has that yet to be established? I knew at one time there were tons of unhappy owners and lawsuits.......

The 1-in-4 rule applies only to exchangers, not owners.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
The 1 in 4 rule does NOT apply to exchanges into the Manhattan Club.

To find out if the 1 in 4 rule applies to a resort click under the “fees tab” in RCI. Under that will be a “policy restrictions” section.

While TMC has no such restriction, below is an illustration of how this restriction will be listed. This is from the Hilton Club in NYC where the 1 in 4 rule does apply.

5216A7C3-B5BD-4713-B04C-CAC94F475797.png

Also, if the restriction does apply, your RCI account will not let you book it a second time until the 4 years has passed.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Manhattan Club reservations are only allowed every four years because it is so popular.

Yes. TMC is popular. However, I do not think that is a singular or primary factor motivating 1 in 4 restrictions. Massanutten Resort has to be one of the easiest places that exists to exchange into. It (or the Great Easter Resorts within it) have 1 in 4 restrictions.

My understanding from TUG discussions is 1 in 4 restrictions apply to resorts at the request of developers. They are not driven by RCI.

There are two reasons In my view that 1 in 4 restrictions are likely to exist.

1) It gives an incentive to buy an interval at a resort someone wants to regularly use rather than for them to have an ability to regularly exchange in.

2) Resorts often view people exchanging in as people to market ownership to. They would rather have fresh people to market to than people that have stayed there in the past 4 years but declined to purchase or attend a presentation.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Yes. TMC is popular. However, I do not think that is a singular or primary factor motivating 1 in 4 restrictions. Massanutten Resort has to be one of the easiest places that exists to exchange into. It (or the Great Easter Resorts within it) have 1 in 4 restrictions.

My understanding from TUG discussions is 1 in 4 restrictions apply to resorts at the request of developers. They are not driven by RCI.

There are two reasons In my view that 1 in 4 restrictions are likely to exist.

1) It gives an incentive to buy an interval at a resort someone wants to regularly use rather than for them to have an ability to regularly exchange in.

2) Resorts often view people exchanging in as people to market ownership to. They would rather have fresh people to market to than people that have stayed there in the past 4 years but declined to purchase or attend a presentation.

I totally agree with what you say here. It is also one of the negative aspects of RCI system reservations. We are mostly HGVC owners and do like to return to Hawaii year after year for many weeks at a time without owning any timeshares in Hawaii. The 1 in 4 rule would prevent that if we owned at other than HGVC resorts. With RCI you can't do that.

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
I would think with all the resorts in the hawaii market the 1 in 4 rule would be easy enough to overcome..

I totally agree with what you say here. It is also one of the negative aspects of RCI system reservations. We are mostly HGVC owners and do like to return to Hawaii year after year for many weeks at a time without owning any timeshares in Hawaii. The 1 in 4 rule would prevent that if we owned at other than HGVC resorts. With RCI you can't do that.