TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone rent on TUG Marketplace anymore?

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling & Renting Timeshares' started by SunandFun83, Dec 5, 2018.

1. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

By resort but broken out by rentals and resale listing for each property. Look on Redweek for inspiration.

Drill down by geo then list of resorts then each resort by resale or rental list.

Right now I get every TS in a city. I can sort by resort name but still too much rental vs. resale combined. Overwhelm.

Plus too much having to open ads to cull. The oyster analogy applies.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    TUGBrian likes this.
  2. CalGalTraveler

I am actually suggesting that this be added to the Forum because I never even get to these other pages because I go directly to the forum and it's a separate login so forget.

3. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

:wall:
    Hmm... now that I have publicly complained about it I can't duplicate it... maybe just user error...:wall:

4. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    In the past when I put something out on the TUG marketplace I had either two results: 1) crickets (no one contacted me) or 2) someone bothered me endlessly to rent the the unit they wanted for the $100 per night LMR rate.

I had someone pester me for 6 months. I was renting Thanksgiving in Hawaii in a 2 BR. They kept bothering me even when I asked them to stop. Their argument was they always did this and always got what they wanted for the $100 per night fee. They were on a budget and that was all they could afford. Why they kept bothering me was they felt that I would have to give it away at some point.

Even when I explain it was a point booking that I could cancel and carry over to the next year, either they didn't get it or didn't care. Clearly they had learned that people will rent to them for less than the MF as people with fixed weeks and no users get desperate.

I refused on principle. I refuse to supplement someone else's vacation on my $$. But I am afraid there is those out there that we have trained to behave like this.

I have had better luck on Redweek or VBRO where people have better expectations and are less rude about it.

Tank, Egret1986 and vacationhopeful like this.
  5. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

we can add links to pages anywhere, ill see if we can add to the "marketplace" drop down at the top of the forum for links to these specific pages.

I added 4 quick ones, if there are any others you prefer let me know, its easy to add!

upload_2018-12-10_20-42-9.png

CalGalTraveler likes this.
  6. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 50,000
    Royal Solaris San Jose del Cavo
    We do not rent. We use what we own.

silentg and AwayWeGo like this.
  7. JudyS

JudyS TUG Member

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have discussed it here. I actually don't feel all that strongly about changing the LMR rules.

Thanks very much for the information. I have a follow-up question I'd like to ask you. But, I've already "hijacked" this thread enough! So, I plan to send you a PM.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  8. JudyS

JudyS TUG Member

Wow, now that is quick Customer Service! I wish it were that easy to get other businesses to make improvements to their websites!

I'd say the thing I would like most on the TUG marketplace is for rentals to be displayed separately from sales. Maybe they could just be sorted as rentals first, then all the "for sale" listings? That is how Redweek does it, and it seems to work.

As for my overall thoughts on the TUG Marketplace, even though finding the rental or sale you want can be difficult, listing there is very easy. (In contrast to, say, AirBnB, where listing is a nightmare.) So, I find it well worth my while to list there, even though I get fewer replies than from most other sites where I list. Plus, TUG members get a bunch of listings for free. And on the TUG Marketplace you don't have to constantly "bump" your ads, as you do on Craigslist.

Actually, I just ran out of Ad Credits for the first time a few days ago, so I bought some more. Hey, it's only $3 for the TUG Marketplace, and Redweek is $30. (And eBay is 10% of the rental price plus a listing fee -- yikes!) $3 for a TUG Marketplace listing is a good deal.

CalGalTraveler and Egret1986 like this.
  9. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

I agree on it being easier to sort/filter thru rentals and resales...ill be sure that gets added as I dont see it being a difficult filter to add.

JudyS and CalGalTraveler like this.
  10. Egret1986

Egret1986 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Yes, I agree that people have "learned that people will rent to them for less than the MF." When they go into their spiel about always getting what they want for the $100 per night fee (or some other low-ball figure), I "show them the door."

I have had similar situations as yours. Like you, I'm finding rudeness has become more prevalent. Also like you, "I refuse to supplement someone else's vacation on my $$." I will negotiate on pricing, but you better come to the table without the rudeness and expectations. I had a couple of situations this past summer where I would have rather lost the weeks than rent to the people that approached me in an obnoxious manner. With that attitude (rather lose than deal) and waiting it out, I ended up renting those weeks to others for a fair price.

11. CalGalTraveler

Good for you in sticking with your guns. It is one thing to ask politely because you never know, but quite another to be rude and expect it.

IMO if they are this rude upfront, imagine how they would react if there is an issue.

12. SunandFun83

SunandFun83 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I think the $100 cap has been around fo many years. Maybe it is time for TUG to raise the LMR amount to $150. The guest can always say no, and, move on to something else. My maintenance fees are up more than 50% over the last 7 years.

Tank likes this.
  13. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

The attitude of "Something is better than NOTHING" is very common to bottom feeders .. IMHO. They will NOT be back to rent for the cost of the MFs ever .. .they KNOW how smart they are. And be very careful in listening to "sob" stories ... you are tryng to pay your MFs and other related expenses.

The grocery store does not sell steak for the price of hamburger ....

PS I have rented a timeshare or two over the years. I once had a regular guest who email me and asked if a person she knew had rented a certain unit from me AS this person was bragging about the cheap rate she got from me. She NOW felt I had been charging her too much in the past.

14. JudyS

JudyS TUG Member

I actually had this happen to me just this past week. Someone wanted a week of mine for $475 when my MFs were just about $1000. And, this was for a Christmas week in a popular Christmas destination. When I said no, they gave me an argument about how they had rented the same resort for $475 in the past. I told them they had probably been given an RCI or II weekm and were lucky it didn't get cancled. I have since rented my week to someone else for my asking price.

I agree. I worry that people who offer rude low-ball offers may also trash the room. I'd rather have it sit empty and eat the entire MFs than rent to someone like that.

I get the sob stories too, about how they have very little money and want to give their kids a vacation. I just say I can't afford to rent at the price they are offering. But, I am also thinking two other things:
    1) I regularly donate money to humanitarian organizations. Why should I spend my money subsidizing the vacation of some kid I don't know, when I could use that money instead to save the lives of children in Africa?
    2) If they can't afford to cover the MFs, how will they pay for transportation costs, the cost of ski lift or theme park tickets, etc.? If they are really as broke as they say, I'd expect they would take a cheaper vacation instead. When I was little, all of my family's vacations were spent in a state park, usually in a canvas tent. I'm too old and worn out to sleep on a tent floor now, so I'm glad my family did lots of camping when I was a kid. Those camping trips were great!

TUGBrian likes this.
  15. Tank

Tank TUG Member

From my understanding the $100 a night has been the same since it was created on tug. 20 plus years now.
    I beleave it serves a different purpose today for tug than it did when it was created years ago do to technology.

I think if we could go back in time and listen why things were put into place at one time it sure could open up our eyes.
    Like social security, or today's word "entitlement", all depends on who is benefiting from said rule at the time.

Key factor here is it is not our websight to change, just use.
    I use it to the best of my ability to benefit me, and others use it to benefit them. Just like anything in life. If I'm selling I want as much as I can get, but if I'm buying I want it as cheap as I can get.
    I always felt that a great deal would be if if I could get a vacation at your cost, I win. Some are still $600 Most are more- $1200 - $1800 MFs and more in many cases now. We all felt that it was a reasonable amount vs renting or we would not have purchased the timeshare to begin with. It's not practical to complain because prices go up. It costs money to keep these at standards we require.
    I bet 20 plus years ago very few payed over $700 MFs for timeshares. If you did it was a special place. Mine was $480 in 1997 and 2019 is $1049 plus membership / booking fees, and every other charge they can dream up.

I learn on tug, and grow. We all have opinions, not all the same.

Thankful to be a member

Dave

TUGBrian and tschwa2 like this.
  16. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    I agree with the OP who said with the increasing maintenance fees $100 a night sometimes isn't enough anymore. Rather than increase the cap in the current last minute rentals could there be another category of LMR with maybe a $150-$175 cap? There are a lot of resorts with maintenance fees in the $1000-$1200 a week range and that would be enough to cover it.

I can see the problems and why Brian might be very hesitant to raise the cap. The reason I'm suggesting another category of last minute rentals is because if you raise the cap in the current category we are going to see too many owners who actually think they will get the max amount for their week. Unfortunately for some people who own at certain resorts you can rent stays at those resorts so cheaply on eBay that nobody who knows better will pay them even $100 a night. They often can't even cover the maintenance fees for their week when they try to rent. But these are the very people who when they see higher limits will likely have unrealistic expectations about what they can get for their week.