• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does Any One Know The Proper Authorities That Need To Be Contacted??

Leonidas123

Reaction score
Hello, I have a friend in Canada here who has been scammed over a $100, 000 in a Mexican timeshare scam.

The other day I sent the scamming companies an email with a ip tracking link inside. They both clicked on them and I now have their ip addresses.

Anyone know which authorities(we are in Canada, but not sure if that matters?) he should be contacting?

We're looking more for the authorities that might follow through and check into the ip's and perhaps pursue the scumbag scammers. Not really concerned about reporting it just for the sake of reporting it.

He realize's the money is gone and not coming back but if their is any chance of at least maybe catching these guys that would obviously be great.

Thank you for any help you folks might be able to provide to us.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Hello, I have a friend in Canada here who has been scammed over a $100, 000 in a Mexican timeshare scam.

The other day I sent the scamming companies an email with a ip tracking link inside. They both clicked on them and I now have their ip addresses.

Anyone know which authorities(we are in Canada, but not sure if that matters?) he should be contacting?

We're looking more for the authorities that might follow through and check into the ip's and perhaps pursue the scumbag scammers. Not really concerned about reporting it just for the sake of reporting it.

He realize's the money is gone and not coming back but if their is any chance of at least maybe catching these guys that would obviously be great.

Thank you for any help you folks might be able to provide to us.

Buying a factional ownership in a property, a vacation property or timeshare in Mexico is not really a scam. Your friend must have bought something. Without know what was purchased it is difficult for anyone to help. If it was a timeshare that was purchased your friend had 5 days to cancel. If they are past the 5 day rescission period then they actually own something, especially if they paid up front.

Bill

Leonidas123

Reaction score
No, the timeshare itself wasn't a scam. He got cold called a couple years later from someone claiming they had a buyer for his timeshare and etc. He got totally fooled and has sent them a wack load of money. Sounds like the classic scam those guys seem to be working these days.

Leonidas123

Reaction score
After reading around I'm thinking perhaps filling a complaint with the IC3 might be a good idea.

Ellis2ca

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No, the timeshare itself wasn't a scam. He got cold called a couple years later from someone claiming they had a buyer for his timeshare and etc. He got totally fooled and has sent them a wack load of money. Sounds like the classic scam those guys seem to be working these days.

He sent them $100,000 for them to sell his timeshare? Why did he do that ?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Must have been valued at ~$1.6M if you figure it's a 6% brokerage fee. Think that's the list price for a Grand Luxxe 4 BR....

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ugh! I'm so sorry to read stories like this. There are some terrible people out there that prey on the hopeful.

My guess is that unless you can identify exactly who was running the scam, it will be almost impossible to take action. If the scam came from the USA through the internet or US Postal Service, contact the FBI.

Leonidas123

Reaction score
Hey guys. Sorry been a while since posting my original.

Why he sent them so much money? I really don't have a good answer to give you. And trust me we've asked him that same question a million times ourselves lol. He's more than aware of how stupid it was. He truly believed he was getting it all back plus a bunch more in the end. He just got in way over his head and it snow balled from there.

Yes the scam is running from the USA through both the internet and the US Postal Service, with the funds being sent to Mexico. From what I understand these scammers need the funds sent to another country because the US government won't let them get away with it in the US.

I do believe I may have the actual ip'addresses of the two places involved, as I sent them both a ip tracking link and they both clicked on it sending their info back to me directly.

I did send my buddy a link to the IC3(FBI) Complaint Referral Form. At this point I feel like it's in his hands now. I've done everything I can for him. Up to him to submit that form now.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
You might want to let your friend know that he has now been identified by the scammers as an easy target. What’s next is a likely call from an “government” agency that will tell him they can get his money back but that it will require an upfront fee. Of course, this is another attempt to steal more money.

Leonidas123

Reaction score
You might want to let your friend know that he has now been identified by the scammers as an easy target. What’s next is a likely call from an “government” agency that will tell him they can get his money back but that it will require an upfront fee. Of course, this is another attempt to steal more money.
He knows. He's ready for it now.