• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you own a retirement/second home?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We bought a new single level 2800+ sq ft penthouse condo with breathtaking views, built in 2008 but never lived in until we bought in 2014, to eliminate most maintenance issues. No more yard work is the biggest deal. We are behind double security gates which means that we can lock up and go away on vacation without worrying about break-ins. We develop a close relationship with other owners in the building. We pay high HOA fees but it is worth it. We get 3 full days of janitorial service per week and the building is kept in pristine condition. The landscape is well kept and beautiful. We don't worry about the roof and other common areas. We could not have picked a better place and home to retire.

Just curious, what is considered high maintenance fees?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have no idea where we will retire. But we are buying and selling and adjusting along the way.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what is considered high maintenance fees?
We pay $794 per month and it covers water and garbage. We have 3 HOAs, one is the "Master" for the entire resort community, one for the development that we are located where you need to get through a gate and there are other homes in the community and the third one is for the condo building itself. The condo building is the expensive one. Our condo building HOA is expected to go up some next year.

We don't have a gym nor a pool. We have to join a private sports and social club in the resort community for that.

Everything else we are on our own, i.e. utilities (electricity - no gas in the building) and internet. We have 2 water heat pump compressor units in our home for HVAC and that thing is supposed to last a long time, and we are responsible for that. Because there is no gas to the homes and we are on the top floor our electricity bill tends to run high throughout the year.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We pay $794 per month and it covers water and garbage. We have 3 HOAs, one is the "Master" for the entire resort community, one for the development that we are located where you need to get through a gate and there are other homes in the community and the third one is for the condo building itself. The condo building is the expensive one. Our condo building HOA is expected to go up some next year.

We don't have a gym nor a pool. We have to join a private sports and social club in the resort community for that.

Everything else we are on our own, i.e. utilities (electricity - no gas in the building) and internet. We have 2 water heat pump compressor units in our home for HVAC and that thing is supposed to last a long time, and we are responsible for that. Because there is no gas to the homes and we are on the top floor our electricity bill tends to run high throughout the year.

Just wondering because the MF on our brand new condo is $500. There is no pool and only 60 units. I thought $500 a month was high for brand new construction. I imagine we will be in the $700-$800 range in a few years.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wondering because the MF on our brand new condo is $500. There is no pool and only 60 units. I thought $500 a month was high for brand new construction. I imagine we will be in the $700-$800 range in a few years.
We have no complaints for what we pay in HOA. We have no pool and gym as I have stated above. But the incredible beauty that we are surrounded with and that moment hits us each time we drive into the resort community, we say to overselves that every dime of the HOA that we pay is worth it. Our condo building is also incredibly well maintained. If you are in the area, I would love to show you around and maybe you will also fall in love with this area like many of us.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have a while to go for retirement. I don't know where I might end up. My family keeps asking me if I am moving back to Canada anytime soon. Since I am divorced and have not family at all in the state that I live in, nor any near by.

I figured the TX house is the retirement house, as it is near a lake (I live about 12 houses up the street, buy my mailbox has a lake view), easy enough driving to the gulf, and I live in a community that is gated, and where the front yards of the house are maintained as part of our HOA. The guy who cuts the time bit of back yard I have charge me $10 bucks when he comes.

I figure my timeshares are my second home. I also realized I should have never sold by house in downtown toronto, as I don't want to pay that price point to move back. So I will just have to live at my friends house in the summer, and they can live at my house in the winter. I think I might make that work.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So I will just have to live at my friends house in the summer, and they can live at my house in the winter. I think I might make that work.

Interesting idea. My brother lives in San Diego, and has a great guest room. Whenever he visits up here, he stays with me in my guest room. I think he and I need to have a little chat. ;)

Dave

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I figure my timeshares are my second home. I also realized I should have never sold by house in downtown toronto, as I don't want to pay that price point to move back. So I will just have to live at my friends house in the summer, and they can live at my house in the winter. I think I might make that work.

Yes, it might be worth a small fortune today! A few weeks ago I saw my late great uncle's house featured in the Toronto Star's Home section in the "what they got" column. My GU sold the house, which was in the Leaside area, in the early 2000's for less than $500K - it just resold for nearly 2 million!! Granted the kitchen & bathrooms had been redone - but wow, that's quite a return on their investment!!

~Diane

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We moved to Florida 31 years ago, because my husband got a big career changing job with plenty of perks, they paid for house hunting trips. Paid all moving expenses, helped us get a mortgage etc.
We found a perfect family house in a nice area with brand new schools and stores, lots of activities for the kids. DH is retiring this summer, the kids have been on their own for some time now. We consider this our retirement house. We are so used to living here, we don’t want to move.
Our timeshares and trips are like having a vacation home. But none of the worries of owning a second home.
Silentg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yes, it might be worth a small fortune today! A few weeks ago I saw my late great uncle's house featured in the Toronto Star's Home section in the "what they got" column. My GU sold the house, which was in the Leaside area, in the early 2000's for less than $500K - it just resold for nearly 2 million!! Granted the kitchen & bathrooms had been redone - but wow, that's quite a return on their investment!!

~Diane

A house I lived in right after I got out of high school in Hawaii went through a fire a year later. The family who owned it were given about $150K for it all, including their possessions. A few years ago I was on vacation in Hawaii and drove by the house, just to check it out. It had long since been rebuilt, and was on the market - for $1.4 Million. :eek:

Dave

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought our second home 11 years before hubby retired. Since we had known since 1985 that we wanted to retire in Charleston, it seemed that prices in the Historic District would only get higher over the years. We bought a 1170 sq ft circa 1875 kitchen house. We started out with a mortgage, spent three years remodeling it from top to bottom, used it on weekends, vacations, and for me when hubby was traveling for work. We then sold our 5,000 sq ft. house and bought a 3,600 sq ft house in NC, where hubby worked and paid off our CHS home. Eight years later, with retirement almost upon us, and knowing that we would be moving my mother out of her FL home and bringing her to live with us in Charleston, we bought a 3,000 sq ft house, also in the Historic District, with cash, and began some remodeling of it. Two years later, we sold our NC home and moved to Charleston permanently. We began renting the kitchen house out. We've had a lot of people wanting to buy it but just can't bring ourselves to part with it. When my mother is no longer with us, I see selling our current home, ridding ourselves of much we have and moving back into the little house. It is pretty much a lock and leave house with fewer expenses and very little landscaping to maintain. We would miss our current location closer to restaurants and our great neighbors though. Still, we hope to travel for months at a time, perhaps spend the hot months of the year in New England and the cooler months in our little house. Time will tell.
That seemed like a great plan. Ours is somewhat opposite of yours. We purchased a vacation home in northern Michigan 3 houses from Higgians lake about 2.5 Hours from our Home in SE MI. We remodeld the kitchen and made several improvements. We go up there almost ever weekend, and my wife is a teacher so she spends the summer up there. we plan to sell our home down state and downsize and retire there full time in 5 or 6 years. Then we can fully use our timeshare to snowbird to warmer places like florida & Georga and South Carolina 11 t0 13 weeks.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
@Snazzylass: We're looking strongly at Southern Nevada. Still deciding where, and not ruling out any particular area. We're spending a few days down there at the end of this month to "walk the streets" a bit, and get a feeling for whether it would be a good fit. The Costco transfer is actually a huge part of the possible plans, and isn't an easily accomplished thing. I've been approaching things from the idea that a transfer wasn't likely to happen, but if one can be arranged, it may change everything, and we can move sooner. All else being equal, we'll probably wait to buy something until we know if/what will happen for my spouse's job. Then we'll sell here, move there, and deal with the real estate market at that time. This is a very loose plan. Stay tuned. :)

Dave[/QUOTE]

That's sounds like an ideal location for your needs. I hope the Costco thing works out. My impression is that real estate is a little soft there. In general, you should not need to worry about healthcare.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I've looked a lot at real estate here and those fees are not out of the norm. The purpose of $500/ mo now is to build up the fund (reserves) for when things need to be addressed. Think of it as a bit of a savings account.
It's better to have a well-funded HOA than a struggling one!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Wow. I am coming across some of these types of communities on line in my search. I think this is crazy. I look at some of these homes/condos and think- what the hell do they (the HOA) do for this kind of money?
They say they do "landscaping" and snow removal and trash and insurance. That's it. Most don't have pools or a gym or a clubhouse or activities or anything at all. They do not even take care of the exterior of the homes/buildings.

In NH, for example, I would not consider what they do landscaping. Some of the communities we looked at - the lawn is barely mowed- brown and barely any bushes or flowers or anything. Nothing impressive to look at.

So- wait. At home it costs us $45 per month for plowing our 700 foot driveway. The town plows our road. Yes- we do have to shovel around our doorways and our deck. Hubby just had to buy a new snowblower last year after like 10-15 years. But we could always hire someone to shovel around our entrance ways if we had to.

At most of these condo associations, they only plow- they do not shovel up to your doorway or even over to your oil or propane tank for the delivery guy!

It costs us $36 per month for trash pick up. We have no landscaping to do as we are living in the woods, except an occasional mow (we do not have a lawn to speak of) and blowing leaves in the Fall- maybe a little cleaning up. I usually put two flower pots outside with some flowers in the summer. BUT, we could get a landscaping company to come out and mow if we needed to, or to do whatever else. Hubby also had to buy a lawnmower last year- after 10-15 years. But- he barely has to use it.

We pay $24 per month for our own security system monitoring. Most HOA's do not have security- some might.

Every so many years sometimes we have to have trees taken down and our driveway sealed. We already have to take care of the exterior (and interior ) of our home so that's a wash. We, of course, have to pay all our utilities/oil/wood/propane and other expenses like internet and TV. Sure, we have to pay to have our boiler serviced and our wood stove chimney cleaned. And we already don't have a pool (though we could get one) or a clubhouse. We have our own exercise equipment in our home.

We are surrounded by beauty- the woods and wildlife and privacy.

Missing- family, friends and an active community setting. Will be difficult to age into due to seclusion. Have to drive everywhere.

Then there are the property and school taxes. Yes- here- very expensive. = $825+ per month right now and rising every year. But- same in an HOA community- you still have to pay taxes. In NH,- they can run $500 per month and up. Other states, taxes are cheap.

So-leaving property and school taxes out of it as it has nothing to do with the HOA fees-

I add this up and for us get $105 per month (with the security monitoring) for the basics and then, of course, extra for the other things I mentioned as they come up- just as you would in the HOA situation anyway.

Even if I throw in, let's say, $100 or even $200 per month for home maintenance.....still don't get to $500 and up

So- $500 per month or more? Crazy town.

I mean- it all comes down to what do they do for the money you pay. That is the bottom line.

I was looking at CCRC's also- most at $3100 - $5500 per month (no care or meals included- independent living). They give you a worksheet to fill in to compare your current living costs with that of the CCRC- for Independent living. Ummm....you can see how that worked out. I am surprised they even give you this worksheet. Must believe most people can't add.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
No! We do not own a second or a retirement home outright. Our second and retirement home,
we also, called timeshare and hotels time.

Exactly, and it's called freedom.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
No! We do not own a second or a retirement home outright. Our second and retirement home,
we also, called timeshare and hotels time.

Exactly, and it's called freedom.

Funny, freedom for us was just the opposite . . . when we stopped paying $2000/week to timeshare in Florida in the Winter, and bought a place to be there all winter, for less money.

The good thing is being old enough to have that freedom.

The bad thing is being old enough to have that freedom.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We pay $125 a month for trash, worker lives on site, large community pool, landscaping. 0nly 31 houses. Still feel it’s a little pricey.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
We pay $125 a month for trash, worker lives on site, large community pool, landscaping. 0nly 31 houses. Still feel it’s a little pricey.

We pay $800/year in property tax for a house, with no maintenance fee, and that includes weekly trash, recycling, and lawn waste pickup, and large bulk lawn waste and appliance pickup on order.

Of course, it also pays for police, fire, schools, roads, sidewalks, parks, beaches, etc. . . . .

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We pay $800/year in property tax for a house, with no maintenance fee, and that includes weekly trash, recycling, and lawn waste pickup, and large bulk lawn waste and appliance pickup on order.

Of course, it also pays for police, fire, schools, roads, sidewalks, parks, beaches, etc. . . . .

That is like living for free! I did not include my property taxes in my HOA fees since it is separate. I guess we can see how inequitable the property tax laws are. But good for you!

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
That is like living for free! I did not include my property taxes in my HOA fees since it is separate. I guess we can see how inequitable the property tax laws are. But good for you!

Well, not free, but better than the $2000/week we used to spend to be there. Small vacation rentals are $4000/month.

Our FL county likes to have their hand in a lot of our business, but, once you get used to that, it's not all that bad.

You can get by because of the Save Our Homes Act, by dropping Wind from your homeowners insurance, and if you were lucky enough to have bought at the bottom of the bottom, when thousands of perfectly good homes were available for, in our case, twenty cents on the dollar.

Hurricanes? We've been through two. They can huff and puff, but it's really hard to blow over a little concrete block house. You clear the trees, put up a new privacy fence, and all's well. (knocking on you-know-what)

We also like the affordability of used vehicles, thrift stores, etc. We also have a great neighborhood, lots of looking out for each other and stuff like that.

Just before we left this year, I stumbled onto a canal-to-Gulf front lot where a manufactured home had been removed, and an absentee owner had it for sale. I searched the Internet to see what it would take to put a nice manufactured home on it, and I found a whole community near Tampa with really nice $15K-20K homes.

There's a lot of manufactured home communities in our neck 'o the swamp.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
. . . worker lives on site . . .

I'm not sure what that means for you, but we have that, too. This winter he put a new roof on the house, fixed the water heater, repaired the air conditioner, cleared the brush along the canal, put in steps and a dock, mows regularly, takes care of the vehicles, keeps the boat running . . .

We have another worker who sweeps up all the sand and yuck that makes it's way into the house every day, makes the beds every morning, generally cleans the place up, takes care of the cats and dog, does the laundry, cooks most of the food . . . .

:cool:

Best of all, of course, none of our workers have to shovel snow, but they like to see those stories on the news.