• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2018 ] Do you own a desirable Timeshare with a lower Maintenance fee cost?

Lanswitch

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas South
The Gardens at West Maui
I bought a 1 Bedroom at The Gardens at West Maui off of EBay for $1 total out of pocket. Maintenance fees are around $760 a year (or about $2.25 per day, equivalent to a cup of coffee at a restaurant per day). Have visited it but have never actually stayed there.
So we far have traded it on Interval for a 2 Bedroom at the Marriott Newport Coast Villas, a 2 Bedroom at the Marriott Desert Springs (week52) and 1 Bedroom at the Marriott Ko’Olina.

jadejar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Morritt’s Tortuga, Morritt’s Seaside, Royal Dunes, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Grande Ocean, Moon Palace
Royal Dunes Resort maintenance fees are $885 a year but I consider that cheap for a 3 bedroom/3 bath unit a short walk to the beach on Hilton Head. Units are well maintained with every building getting a planned makeover every 5 years.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The problem I see with maintenance fees are that

1. Even so called low fees can balloon without notice with a high extra assessment
2. I have seen where a resort that had low fees gets gobbled up by a large chain resulting in fees exploding.
3. I used to think maintenance fees are to maintain your 1\52 share of the condo owned and 1/52 of one condo / all condos on site to cover common area. However, the math doesn’t make sense. Why would it cost, as an example, 600 a week or 2400 a month 31200 a year to maintain one condo and it share of common area. Most maintenance fees are 900 a week. The math doesn’t make sense unless you add in profits. However, a huge profit was made on each initial timeshare sale.

I personally think all timeshare maintenance fees need to be audited and only cover the actual cost of maintaining.

Anyway, my two cents. Maybe someone can shed light on why fees are 500 a week and up in the first place. I might be missing something here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
The problem I see with maintenance fees are that

1. Even so called low fees can balloon without notice with a high extra assessment
2. I have seen where a resort that had low fees gets gobbled up by a large chain resulting in fees exploding.
3. I used to think maintenance fees are to maintain your 1\52 share of the condo owned and 1/52 of one condo / all condos on site to cover common area. However, the math doesn’t make sense. Why would it cost, as an example, 600 a week or 2400 a month 31200 a year to maintain one condo and it share of common area. Most maintenance fees are 900 a week. The math doesn’t make sense unless you add in profits. However, a huge profit was made on each initial timeshare sale.

I personally think all timeshare maintenance fees need to be audited and only cover the actual cost of maintaining.

Anyway, my two cents. Maybe someone can shed light on why fees are 500 a week and up in the first place. I might be missing something here.

Do you own your home? There are lots of costs to maintain a property. Timeshares even have more costs, lots of staff salaries, benefits and taxes for these employees, insurance for lawsuits, property damage, I can keep going on and on. You should look at an operation budget to understand all the costs.

I can tell you with all the timeshares I own, with lower and higher maintenance fees, it is much cheaper for me to own timeshares then to maintain a second home. Plus when problems occur due to wear or natural disaster, I do not have to be there, management takes care of it.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I hear you there. Yes, I own my home. I have a cleaning lady twice a week and hire maintenance when needed plus do upgrades on my home. The maintenance cost all in (including insurance, property taxes, utilities, maintenance, cleaning services and upgrades) is 21000.00 per year and I am here full time. The home is 2100 square feet. So, divided per week would be 21000/52 = 403 per week.

Let’s say you pay maintenance fee of 1000 a week. This number is quite common. 52 k to maintain a unit just seems high.

I can appreciate though that you value having everything being taken care of unlike having your own second property.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
We own a 2BR at Grandview in Las Vegas with mf of $830. We also own a 3BR at VV at Bonaventure outside Ft. Lauderdale with mf of $895. Thought those were quite reasonable with Grandview being in rather good demand for late November.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I forgot to add that I have looked at many Operational Budgets and do find some items vague. Here are some of the funny ones I found over the years.

Misquoto survellience ..........l 65.00
Steak dinners for owner updates........l. 52.00
Good debt expense...............103.00
Gratuities"...............................147.00
Golf fees .................................119.00
Ocean reporting.....".................16.00

Common one is bad debt expenses which I have been told refers to owners not paying.

I guess in short I believe allowable expenses on maintenance fee bills should be standardized and all resorts should receive an outside audit to ensure numbers are correct. That way, every timeshare owner will have low, fair, reasonable fees and feel good about what they are paying for with all timeshares...not just a few.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I hear you there. Yes, I own my home. I have a cleaning lady twice a week and hire maintenance when needed plus do upgrades on my home. The maintenance cost all in (including insurance, property taxes, utilities, maintenance, cleaning services and upgrades) is 21000.00 per year and I am here full time. The home is 2100 square feet. So, divided per week would be 21000/52 = 403 per week.

Let’s say you pay maintenance fee of 1000 a week. This number is quite common. 52 k to maintain a unit just seems high.

I can appreciate though that you value having everything being taken care of unlike having your own second property.

Fred,

At your home do you have indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs, fitness center, business center, tennis courts, mini-golf, meeting rooms, reception staff, activities staff, security personnel, etc.?

Might I suggest there can be no comparing the costs of maintaining one's residence and the costs of maintaining a timeshare resort.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
"We've wondered if there are any very well-managed and maintained, quiet beachfront resorts in the Carolinas or southwest FL Gulf coast... with low maintenance fees."

We love our ocean front with a 180 degree ocean view at the Outer Banks Beach Club II in Kill Devil Hills. MF is $651 for a 2 BR unit. It has an independent HOA and is managed by SPM which does a great job from what I see and read about them. We also own another ocean front 2 BR unit about 2 miles north ($735 MF) that I don't feel is well run as they have a horrible delinquency rate.
Another great one is Harbor Ridge on Mt. Desert Island close to Bar Harbor ME ($547 MF, 2 BR) which has a little bit of a view of the sound leading out to the ocean. Wonderful people that work there.

We just bought a deeded fixed week 42 at Outer Banks Beach Club I in Kill Devil Hills. 3 bedroom unit - MF is $736.00 for 2018. I believe these are also managed by SPM. We haven't been there yet and plan to mostly use this unit for PIC purposes with Wyndham, but we may end up using the deeded week on occasion.

http://www.outerbanksbeachclubresort.com/

We also purchased a unit at Colonies at Williamsburg recently. 4 bedroom 4 bath unit, deeded week 37. MFs were $795.00 in 2018 plus $60.00 r/e taxes so $855.00 in total. Not bad for a 4 bedroom/4 bath unit in a nicely maintained timeshare. We also plan to use this unit on occasion and trade it for Wyndham PIC points when we don't make use of it.

https://www.vacationvillageresorts.com/vvr/colonies_williamsburg/

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
2BR lock-off at the Quarter House. Splits into two full 1BR units each with a full kitchen. A little over $300 for each side.

The doctor that wrote to two positive timesharing articles was an owner here. He said he has never been to the resort, but it trades very well.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Quarter House is a unique property. From what I remember reading, the rooms are all different and vary quite a bit. Also, the place had a long history of serious racial discrimination that ultimately had to go to court.

I really like NOLA and we own a fixed week, fixed unit in NOLA but its not at the Quarter House.

I attended a no-sales owner update at one of my timeshares last year and one of the costs was to lobby government to keep the homes in front of our property from building upwards and blocking our ocean-view. Obviously, people will be all over the board as to whether or not that's a worthwhile expense and if so how much, but it's definitely the kind of intangible expense that does improve the overall experience of pretty much everyone's stay at the property.

The kind of math you need to do is simply to compare the timeshare ownership to the cost of renting or buying something similar and also to factor in the costs associated with timeshare ownership (beyond MF there are also taxes and exchange company fees and airfare and pet sitting etc). Then you just determine whether or not it's worth it FOR YOU to own or not.

And also, if you want a say in how MF are spent, you should get on the HOA.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I almost gave away my best flexible Timeshare it’s only a studio, but it’s on Cape Cod and the Maintenence is just a bit over $400.00 Next year we are going in October instead of May. I called the Holly Tree Resort and they said my unit was available for the week I wanted.
We have traded it for other places it has a very high TPU of 21 .Some of my one bedrooms are not that high in TPU.
Silentg

Dave Landry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City Beach
We own points at Wyndham Panama City Beach. Maintenance fees are low because it takes more points to stay at this resort than many others. We use the points at the higher fee resorts that require less points and really maximize the savings.

schenriq

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The smaller 1BR of the 2BR lock-off @Sheraton Broadway in MB. Desirable -- check, albeit it's not oceanfront. Low MFs -- check at four-twenty per year.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I think my week 23 at Blue Ridge Village is pretty reasonable at $730, or near that. It's a 2 bed with loft and sleeps 8.

My Val Chatelle weeks are $770 per year for a 3 bed, 2.5 bath unit + garage for summer. The trading power is horrible. I love the resort, but I need to get rid of my three summer weeks or deposit them to some other company besides RCI.

Twin Rivers does still have the low maintenance fees for 3 bedroom units. That is a desirable property for a lot of folks. We live in Colorado, so I don't stay there much.

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
My lowest MF is at Oakmont Resort in Pigeon Forge, TN (RCI). The MF is $410 for 1 BR unit.
Now whether that is good or not???????

Guess my deal is better. Same MF at that resort but I have a two bedroom. I'm pretty amazed they can do that. I've never been there but use it for RCI points. My general impression is that it isn't fancy but is well kept up.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Guess my deal is better. Same MF at that resort but I have a two bedroom. I'm pretty amazed they can do that. I've never been there but use it for RCI points. My general impression is that it isn't fancy but is well kept up.

Guess I may have to make a call to their office tomorrow! Thanks for the info, JohnPaul!

We've only been there once (and that was several years ago). Our recollection matches your description - the resort wasn't anything special, but if you are going to be around and about the Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg area, it worked well as a base of operations. If the newsletters since then are accurate, they appear to have undertaken some refurbishing.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Guess I may have to make a call to their office tomorrow! Thanks for the info, JohnPaul!

We've only been there once (and that was several years ago). Our recollection matches your description - the resort wasn't anything special, but if you are going to be around and about the Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg area, it worked well as a base of operations. If the newsletters since then are accurate, they appear to have undertaken some refurbishing.

He may own a higher season week than you do so may get more points. However it is very unusual that he would pay the same maintenance fees for a two bedroom unit as you pay for a one bedroom unit unless he has an every other year instead of an annual.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
He may own a higher season week than you do so may get more points. However it is very unusual that he would pay the same maintenance fees for a two bedroom unit as you pay for a one bedroom unit unless he has an every other year instead of an annual.
I own a 1 BR at HICV Las Vegas Desert Club. The maintenance fees for the 2 BRs are the same as the 1 BRs. It has been this way since before the HICV conversation. A great deal for the 2 BR owners, about $650 per year. Not such a great deal for me.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I own a 1 BR at HICV Las Vegas Desert Club. The maintenance fees for the 2 BRs are the same as the 1 BRs. It has been this way since before the HICV conversation. A great deal for the 2 BR owners, about $650 per year. Not such a great deal for me.

I knew there were some resorts that did this but like I said I thought it wasn't that common.

The first time I heard of this it really surprised me because how in the world is that fair? It makes no sense because the two bedroom unit is obviously a larger portion of the building, takes longer to clean, uses more sheets, towels, utilities, has more people using the pool and any other amenities at the resort, etc. And if you bought from the developer who would pay the same to buy a one bedroom week as you would pay for a two bedroom week? Like you said it is a sweet deal for the two bedroom owners but not so much for the one bedroom owners.

vmpt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coronado Beach Resort, Fox Run, Coral Reef Beach Resort, Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines, Marriott Barony Beach, Sand Pebbles Resort, Westin Lagunamar
We have a 2 bedroom beachfront rotating week at Capri by the Sea in San Diego. Approx $700 total for mf and prop tax. My family bought 3 different weeks when it opened in the 1970s. Love this place.

jl2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove At Yarmouth
I only own 1.

Our 1 bedroom/2 bath unit is $556 a year.

The Cove At Yarmouth, Week 26 (usually July 4) on Cape Cod.
A Healthy well planned reserve fund.
Independently managed
Fully renovates every 8 years
Just added a third (outdoor) pool, bathrooms and pool bar with food and drink, with live nightly entertainment in Summer. Open till 11PM. Really loved this addition this year!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I knew there were some resorts that did this but like I said I thought it wasn't that common.

The first time I heard of this it really surprised me because how in the world is that fair? It makes no sense because the two bedroom unit is obviously a larger portion of the building, takes longer to clean, uses more sheets, towels, utilities, has more people using the pool and any other amenities at the resort, etc. And if you bought from the developer who would pay the same to buy a one bedroom week as you would pay for a two bedroom week? Like you said it is a sweet deal for the two bedroom owners but not so much for the one bedroom owners.
I own at HGVC Plantation Beach Club at Indian River and 1 and 2 bedrooms have the same maintenance fees. I have the 1 br and am ok paying the same as the 1 brs are on the top floor with the best views and the unit is all on one level no steps, the others have steps because they are two levels.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I own at HGVC Plantation Beach Club at Indian River and 1 and 2 bedrooms have the same maintenance fees. I have the 1 br and am ok paying the same as the 1 brs are on the top floor with the best views and the unit is all on one level no steps, the others have steps because they are two levels.

We've stayed at this resort twice and last year for two consecutive weeks. I really like the resort and the units. The first time we stayed there I was having trouble with my knee from a fall so having to use the steps when I needed the bathroom during the day and evening before bedtime wasn't fun. At the time I didn't know the one bedroom units were all on one level and could have asked if someone wanted to trade units and take our two bedroom unit. I can't remember her name but the woman who is usually at the front desk is nice and very helpful. We had a nice view both times from the two bedroom units we stayed in.