• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you love Marriott or are you beginning to dislike them

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As with any real estate purchase, (and I say that, as all real estate has ongoing fees, such as taxes), the real question is - is there value received by the purchaser?

Value (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder (owner).

Marriott has a fine set of properties. They now go at a fine price today, on an ongoing basis. They used to be more affordable, but those days are now gone. So, given the current price structure, are days purchased with Marriott worth the price you pay - to you? (Now some people bought Marriott time shares decades ago, and ended up with better ongoing deals than new purchasers. That's nice for them, but meaningless to a person purchasing now.)

Some people can afford top end properties at top end prices, some can't. Some people value top end properties, and are willing to pay for them, some don't. I make no personal judgement, either way.

The personal question which only each individual can answer, how much am I willing to pay for value, and what is available at that price. It could be a lot, it could be a little, or it could be zero.
All true up to a point but I'd point out that in some cases it's the difference in buying a 3 year old auto at 60% the cost of a new one of the same type (though the up front differences are larger with timeshares). Or even in some cases whether you pay the side sticker (more than MRSP) or get a significant discount for the same item new. As you alluded to, there are 2 sides to the equation, the up front costs and the ongoing risk. IMO one should never buy a timeshare they couldn't pay cash for and couldn't easily afford the yearly costs with reasonable projections. But certainly some see a given timeshare option, or even timeshares in general, as a benefit or a liability depending on heir focus. We've been very happy and continue to be happy with MVC. For example I had ten 2 BR units at Grande Ocean week 27 this year. While the cost of dues isn't negligible by any stretch, comparing to a discounted rack rate, I feel pretty good about my costs and that's representative of the value we tend to receive from Marriott. And because a friend asked me to investigate houses for their trip for HHI, I am also very aware of the prices there. One large house would have been as much or more than the dues on the weeks used.

I get even more value from Bluegreen looking at it $$$ wise but we still prefer Marriott as our main travel option because of the resorts, locations and generally higher quality. And given the resorts and locations I don't feel Westin/Vistana offers much to the system for us though I feel Hyatt does. That's not to dis Westin/Vistana, just that my opinion of the resorts and locations are that for the areas I tend to see as a plus there there just isn't much added. We are not planning to go back to MX and don't like to do Ferry's and otherwise Marriott & Westin tends to have similar locations and resorts. Hyatt, on the other hand, has resorts in areas that tend to be different and additive. And one could say the reverse as a Westin/Vistana owner, Marriott doesn't offer much either and Hyatt does.