• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you have to be Square Trade certified to rent and sell on Ebay? If so ...

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where do the once and a while guys (2or 3 rentals - 1 or 2 sales) go to get similar volumes of customers. Has another auction site become "the place" for sales & rentals? Is there a clear second to Ebay?

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rentals YES , Sales

you don't need to be ST certified to sell, the listing fee is $35 plus any bells and whistles and the final fee is also $35.

As to other sites, Myresortnetwork, redweeks, tug, all get some traffic. We do well with Redweeks, but we also us bidshares, and when it has to go, Ebay.

The process to get certified is simple, I think it costs $10 and $7.50 for each month of use.

You can suspend it once you've rented you weeks, and then reactivate it automatically when you list a new rental.

fwiw,
:D Greg

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of these verification processes are disadvantageous to folks born or living outside the U.S., like the zip code, social security number or U.S. billing address. Are any of these a part of becoming Square Trade certified?

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
No it's not

boyblue said:
Some of these verification processes are disadvantageous to folks born or living outside the U.S., like the zip code, social security number or U.S. billing address. Are any of these a part of becoming Square Trade certified?

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys!

ctyatty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Square Trade certified is a waste of money

I am a long time eBayer, tried Square Trade, too expensive. I have lots of positive feedback and won't do business with sellers that don't. EBay fees are high enough and then there are PayPal fees, don't pile it on with Square Trade.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
ctyatty - you don't have that choice when you wish to rent a timeshare week - you must be ST certified which as you correctly point out is a waste of money but their game, their rules I guess.:rolleyes:

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if you're only doing a few rentals a year is ebay worth the hassle?

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Probably. It's tough to ignore that database and proven use. Where else could you dump a timeshare dump in as little as a week? :) Having said that, I have seen $200 timeshares not sell, such as Silver Seas in Ft. Laud several months back. A few years back I sold my weeks 7&8 at Coconut Bay on Ebay, for less than I paid for them (resale) 7 years before, but I did get rid of them which was the purpose.

SQ does permit you to suspend your membership and fees for only the periods you need it, if infrequent, rather than a monthly charge. Problem is they don't answer emails and it's impossible to find the address where you can suspend on their website. I placed a rental TS last year and used 'my' SQ number, but the ad was deleted without notice or explanation. Emails received no answers. I think it was because I changed my sign-in password to Ebay, but couldn't find out how to let SQ know. Dumb. SQ is a Major rip off that Ebay apparently owns...and was probably put in to increase business from the wholesalers and hurt actual owners.

Brian