• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you advertise your travels?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't have any qualms about posting travel on our FB account. We use Ring also and it's nearly instant. But that's hardly the only security as we have another system as well. It doesn't hurt that our neighborhood is open with no privacy fences, so, you're in full view if you are trying to break in. And while 3AM seems like a good time, some of my neighbors are still up, good luck with that. Any siren that goes off will be heard. But that doesn't mean it's impossible either.

As far as the point about flaunting trips goes, there is some truth to this but it goes both ways. Many of our FB friends specifically ask us to post pictures, usually with comments of post more. They love seeing them. I am sure there are a couple who feel the opposite too as noted by easyrider. AFAIAK, that's their problem, being envious of others. So, there is a mix of those who want to see and they get inspired to actually travel themselves, and, those who cannot or choose not to travel and simply wish they could do the same. But even some of the latter group get some enjoyment out of seeing places they might not otherwise.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have Ring. I can tell you that Ring is only good for video recording. There are many seconds of delay before your cell phone is alerted to someone ringing the door bell. By the time you get it and answer, Elvis has left the building.

Mine rings (no pun intended) about as fast as a regular doorbell, have some of their hardwired cameras as well on the outside. Fortunately, have yet to ever see anyone unknown around my house. I do see skunks every few nights. I suppose it's good to know they are there! I scare them off when the alert comes up, from the inside of course.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've got a question for you Ring doorbell (or similar) folks. It really just seems like a self monitoring (vs central monitoring) system. What happens when you are flying or in a play or other place where your phone is off or don't hear the alert on your phone? Seems like it leaves a lot of holes in the security but would love to hear from people with actual experience.

Not true. That's what the Ring Protect Plus plan is for (if you wish central monitoring). For a flat $10/month rate, it includes all Ring devices you have, professional monitoring, 10% off purchases, endless warranty (until you unsubscribe), so, cheaper than most security monitoring services. The warranty by itself makes it useful if you have a bunch of devices.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Only to close friends and family. Also we hire a House/Pet Sitter that moves into our house.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine rings (no pun intended) about as fast as a regular doorbell, have some of their hardwired cameras as well on the outside. Fortunately, have yet fo ever see anyone unknown around my house. I do see skunks every few nights. I suppose it's good to know they are there! I scare them off when the alert comes up, from the inside of course.
Since my last post on this, we have also installed a whole house Ring monitored alarm system. We have Arlo for video recording within the house, Ring video outside for motion and doorbell, and Ring inside for front and back doors and all patio doors and motion detection.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't worry a lot about it. We have neighbors & friends who check out the places and Bruno, the rottweiler can't be trusted to bark before he charges.

Jim

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
Rarely ever think about it. We've lived here in a small town for thirty years and have never heard of a local break in. We have never locked the house and don't believe neighbors do either.
Not saying it's a Good idea but it has never been a concern here. It will be a sad day when that changes.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't worry about whether or not people know if I'm home or not. When we first moved to this area, our real estate agent *never* locked his car when he was showing us a property. We thought it was an act, but later learned that there just isn't much in the way of crime here. In fact there is a monthly publication that maps every individual property crime in the city on a map that's 1/4 of a page of newsprint, or maybe smaller. It's not a large city, but still.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have pets and have pet sitters and friends coming into the house throughout the day to feed, clean and check on them. We set the alarm for when we know there should not be someone at our home.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We do check-in on Facebook when we travel but we also delay the postings until we are home.

We enjoy the memory popup 1 year later on Facebook and each following year- nice reminders of past travels and friendly folks we met along the way.

Not for everyone for sure but also best not to advertise in real-time that you are away from home.
I've been On Facebook nearly ten years. We enjoyed keeping friends updated while we were traveling, and then, when my husband was ill it was an efficient way to keep family and friends updated. Later, On a solo trip to Europe, I had a friend 'watching' me -- and I kept my promise to post nearly every day. That helped me to feel safe. Now that I'm settled down, I REALLY enjoy the almost daily reminders from FB. Like having a scrapbook that finds you.

All that being said, the bottom line is nobody has to read my posts, and I like creating an online journal of sorts. In fact, FB has a vendor that will prepare a bound book of memories, and I have done two topic specific books this far. I anticipate enjoying them bedside some day far in the future.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We usually post photos after we go somewhere. I enjoy seeing my friends and families’ posts too.
It is a good way to keep in touch. Have lot of cousins, friends that don’t live nearby, and my siblings live far from me too.
I still enjoy the TUG posts too, because all the stories of travel and timeshare experiences is what we have in common.
I never get political on any forum. When others do on Facebook I snooze them for a month.
Silentg

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have the Ring door bell. I check it every day and delete each day's recording. I think it's $30 a year to record.

We also have a camera on each corner of our house covering the front, sides and back. My neighbor is always home and has our keys.

I also try not to worry too much......I think the only thing/s they can probably steal are the tvs? I can't think of anything else one would want to carry out. As long as we are not home.....I hope not anyway. Many years ago, our brand new car was stolen in front of our house and it had an alarm.......I don't think it went off :( It was a horrible feeling... I can't even imagine being robbed at home.

I used to check-in on FB if we were eating out, etc. Not so much anymore. When I do, it's after the fact.

I have deactivated my FB in the past. I use it less and less - for some major event - it all gets old after a while.......

I find it great to connect with family and friends who are out of state/country, new birth, wedding, etc.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The main reason we don't do alot of travel posts on fb is that many people we know can't travel because of health or wealth. We feel like we are flaunting our trips or maybe bragging a bit when we do. It might be we just humble, lol.

Bill
Exactly. We take four week+ trips per year and a few weekend trips. Most of our friends might take one trip per year, and I have some family members who cannot afford to take any trips per year (the ones that I gave one of our weeks to this year). I am not about to rub salt in their wounds. We are so, so fortunate to travel as much as we do, but I have really cut back on posting photos. Sometimes I do instagram only because a lot of my friends won't move over to IG from FB, so they don't ever see those photos. We went to Hawaii twice this year, but only one trip made it to FB. And when we got back from France, I was sick so my husband posted pics on his FB page. It was awesome! I not only didn't have to deal with posting, my FB friends didn't see most of the photos. (He only tagged me in two).

That said, on Tug, all is fair! Travel and timeshares is our common interest and I love hearing about other people's trips. :)

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I see it all the time and I'm constantly amazed. Friends and people I've never met for some reason unknown to me like to make sure we all know where they are. I see it on Facebook. People "Check In" or "Go Live" at local and remote to their home locations. But Facebook isn't the only place I see it. Even here on TUG I see people listing when & where they'll be traveling.

Why hi-lite the fact that you will not be at your home for an extended period of time? What's the point? Heck, you might as well put a sign on the front door: "Not home. C'mon in and see what valuables I've got."

I post when I go on vacation but I have 2 kids still living with us and they are always home along with all of their friends that love to come and visit...It's a full house so it would be difficult for the robber...

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
PSA, for those who may not be aware. There is a separate app for Ring named Rapid Ring, which is what I use. For those who do not like or have trouble with the delays when a notification goes off, this is an app built for speed, it's really fast.