• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do Open Market Points impact my membership?

shown

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I'm a Wyndham owner and love my membership. My wife and i are considering supplementing our points with some from the Open Market.

My question is, what impact does this have on my current membership. e.g. If I try to upgrade my membership in the future, will the Wyndham staff see these points on my account and refuse to work with me since I went rogue?

We're also curious about anyone else's experience with Open Market points in general. They seem like an incredible way to get a ton of points for way cheaper if you're willing to give up the membership upgrade bonuses. We're already VIPs so we're not looking for more membership perks.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have the money you should have no problem at all im sure .

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

CruiseGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Bonnet Creek, and Royal Vista
Wyndham sales will continue to work with you. They only make money if they sell something. They will try to convince you that your resale points won't work, or that something new will impact how they work, that you can't get the same reservations with them, so that they can get you to turn those points in and sell you retail points in their place and make money off you. And they will also point out how the resale points aren't eligible for certain perks that aren't worth the extra cost of buying the points retail anyway, and usually have additional fees associated with the perks on top of it. The resale points also don't count toward VIP levels, but most people can't justify the additional cost for the VIP level unless they travel a lot and are flexible enough that they can get the last minute bookings and upgrades that are needed in abundance to save enough to justify the cost difference.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy resale going forward forever! YOU should NEVER WANT to work with sales again! The resale points work just the same and cost pennies on the dollar compared to buying direct from sales.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought all my points resale. Never had a problem booking a resort as long as there was availability. I can never be a VIP buying resale but I saved $100,000 buying resale. IMO buying resale is the way to go with todays new web site update. The VIP benefit of cancel and rebooking to reduce point usage within 60 day time frame is no longer a perk of being a VIP.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I'm a Wyndham owner and love my membership. My wife and i are considering supplementing our points with some from the Open Market.

My question is, what impact does this have on my current membership. e.g. If I try to upgrade my membership in the future, will the Wyndham staff see these points on my account and refuse to work with me since I went rogue?

We're also curious about anyone else's experience with Open Market points in general. They seem like an incredible way to get a ton of points for way cheaper if you're willing to give up the membership upgrade bonuses. We're already VIPs so we're not looking for more membership perks.
Rogue? You will be doing a favor to owners who want to sell their points. You will save 95%-99% over points purchased directly from Wyndham. You won't get points discounts/upgrades with these points, and will have to pick up your newspaper in the lobby rather than having to pick it up at your door.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Rogue? You will be doing a favor to owners who want to sell their points. You will save 95%-99% over points purchased directly from Wyndham. You won't get points discounts/upgrades with these points, and will have to pick up your newspaper in the lobby rather than having to pick it up at your door.

He's already VIP and will continue to get whatever discounts and upgrades he's getting now.

shown

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
First of all, thanks to everyone who has responded. What a great site and resource!!

You guys have convinced me that the savings of buying points resale FAR outweighs any downside or loss of perks.

One other Q if I may... Does anyone know how housekeeping and booking work with resale points. As a VIP I get unlimited housekeeping and 5 free bookings, but are those benefits tied to the points I use or to my membership? In other words, can I my free bookings with resale points or only with Wyndham bought (non-resale) points? Would I pay housekeeping?

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
You get 1 reservation transactions for every 77,000 points direct or resale per calender year.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how housekeeping and booking work with resale points. As a VIP I get unlimited housekeeping and 5 free bookings, but are those benefits tied to the points I use or to my membership? In other words, can I my free bookings with resale points or only with Wyndham bought (non-resale) points? Would I pay housekeeping?
Are you Silver VIP ? Your 5 free bookings must be 5 free guest certs. You will get the same VIP benefits on your resale points as you get now on the points you bought from Wyndham.
Just the resale points won’t count in getting you to a higher VIP level.

Edeited: Depending on how many points you have. You could have 5 free reservation transactions and 5 free guest certs. As raygo123 stated you will get 1 free reservation transaction for every 77,000 points you own.

Last edited:

shown

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Are you Silver VIP ? Your 5 free bookings must be 5 free guest certs. You will get the same VIP benefits on your resale points as you get now on the points you bought from Wyndham.
Just the resale points won’t count in getting you to a higher VIP level.
Yes, Silver VIP. Thanks for the clarification.

shown

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
You get 1 reservation transactions for every 77,000 points direct or resale per calender year.

Thanks raygo123, that helps. Sounds like at every 77k, i shouldn't have any problems with reservation transactions.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
Thanks raygo123, that helps. Sounds like at every 77k, i shouldn't have any problems with reservation transactions.

Even if you needed an additional one or two in a given year, they're only $19 now. Although multiple transactions on the same day are no longer bundled into one RT, every transaction uses one RT.

shown

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Even if you needed an additional one or two in a given year, they're only $19 now. Although multiple transactions on the same day are no longer bundled into one RT, every transaction uses one RT.
Thanks, that's good to know they're cheap. While i still have your attention, my wife was asking if we can combine the points from both pots to make a single reservations or if each reservation has to be made using resale OR Wyndham bought points. I know that's a weird Q but it would make a HUGE difference if we can combine them for reservations.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's good to know they're cheap. While i still have your attention, my wife was asking if we can combine the points from both pots to make a single reservations or if each reservation has to be made using resale OR Wyndham bought points. I know that's a weird Q but it would make a HUGE difference if we can combine them for reservations.
Yes at 10 months you can use all points available to make 1 reservation. All points can be combined for ARP if they are deeded at the same resort with same type of ownership like UDI. Or you can combine all CWA contracts together for 1 ARP reservation

There will only be one pot in future years at 10 months.
If you deposit points they will show up in the same points bucket as your use year points.

Last edited: