• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Distance from Charleston Airport and 95?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're trying to get my MIL to HHI and would like to have her use her local airport on Long island NY Islip Airport but it only goes to Charleston SC.

I'm driving down so was thinking I could conveniently time it to pick up her and my wife in Charleston and then make our to HHI.

Anyone have a sense of the logistics and if this will add much to the overall drive NY to HHI?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're trying to get my MIL to HHI and would like to have her use her local airport on Long island NY Islip Airport but it only goes to Charleston SC.

I'm driving down so was thinking I could conveniently time it to pick up her and my wife in Charleston and then make our to HHI.

Anyone have a sense of the logistics and if this will add much to the overall drive NY to HHI?

It's actually very easy.....

I went from HHI to Charleston, SC about 15 years ago, and if I recall correctly it took somewhere between sixty and ninety minutes. At that time I used a map; of course today it would be using a GPS device.

I didn't use 95 when I did the journey but instead used other roads so I could get a good feeling of the area.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
According to Google Maps it's 1:51 from Charleston Airport to HHI via highways 17/21/170/278. It's 2:10 using an alternate route that goes part of the way on I-95.

Coming south on I-95, the Charleston Airport is about 40 minutes down I-26 from the I-95/I-26 intersection. So it's 40 minutes out of your way to the airport, plus 1:51 from the airport to HHI, so about 2:30 total drive time to HHI from where you exited I-95 to head toward Charleston International Airport (plus wait time at CHS). By way of comparison, the drive from the I-95/I-26 interchange straight to HHI is about 1:40. So you are adding about 50 minutes to your drive, plus the wait time at the airport.

Savannah is closer to HHI, but then you would have to pass HHI and double back after going to the airport. It's about 25 minutes from the US278 exit off of I-95 (the HHI exit) to the SAV airport, so the roundtrip would be 50 extra minutes of driving, in theory, exactly the same as CHS.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

I-95 crosses I-26 (which is the main route to Charleston) at about Exit 89. Once you are on I-26, I would allow 45 minutes to an hour to get to the airport as Charleston can have bad afternoon traffic. I would allow the same to return up I-26 to I-95. Once you are back on I-95 South, you have about 80 miles to the HHI exit (around mile marker 8 or so).

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Could always spend a night in Charleston if you have not spent time there recently. It’s a nice historical city to explore.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

As noted, roughly 2 hours depending on the route. Some historic areas along the way if you chose to do some exploring and I'd agree, spending time in Charleston is a treat unto itself.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is 2 hours pretty much on the button. I would not take 26/95 though. You can take 17 both ways. From HHI take the Okatie Highway (170) to route 21 to 17 to the airport. Repeat on the way back. It saves almost 40 miles and is mostly 55 mph until you get to the Charleston metro area.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also take Amtrak to Savannah--might be a possibility as well, if the flying logistics are unrealistic (I've picked up my spouse at the Savannah Amtrak station and brought him back to HHI before--pretty easy peasy.)

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also take Amtrak to Savannah--might be a possibility as well, if the flying logistics are unrealistic (I've picked up my spouse at the Savannah Amtrak station and brought him back to HHI before--pretty easy peasy.)
Not so easy on the train ride part though. It's at least 15 or 16 hours on the train plus whatever time it takes to get to Penn Station or Newark.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If they want to travel on the front end it brings a flight directly in to HHI or to Savannah into the picture.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great suggestions. With all that my MIL would have to do we decided the easiest for her is to do the JFK to HHI direct for her and my wife and have them take a nice car service to JFK.

I'm driving down because I like having my own bike and beach tent so I'm leaving Friday night and will pick them at SAV airport.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great suggestions. With all that my MIL would have to do we decided the easiest for her is to do the JFK to HHI direct for her and my wife and have them take a nice car service to JFK.

I'm driving down because I like having my own bike and beach tent so I'm leaving Friday night and will pick them at SAV airport.
I'm confused, flying to Savannah or in to HHI?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
SAV. To me flying into HHI always meant SAV but i guess now with HHI Airport becoming more of an option from NY I guess I should've specified.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
SAV. To me flying into HHI always meant SAV but i guess now with HHI Airport becoming more of an option from NY I guess I should've specified.
Depending on traffic you'll be less than an hour. As was stated for Charleston, Savannah is a fund city in it's own right. So staying a couple of days there would be fun too, esp if one needs to adjust by a day or 2 due to airfare.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're local in Port Royal Plantation on HHI. We always take the route suggested by Big Matt above. Pretty much four lane all the way although it can be really really boring.