TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Disney Aulani and ROFR question: Anybody lost a DVC Aulani contract before?

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club - DVC' started by Great3, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Great3

Great3 TUG Member

Hello DVC Members,

I finally decide to purchase Disney Aulani and I am starting with a small 100 points subsidized contract. It is currently being sent for ROFR with DVC (makes me nervous thinking about it). In looking thru all the various ROFR threads I could find, it appears to me nobody ever had Aulani taken by ROFR before. ROFR appears to be really active for WDW resorts, but not Aulani.

Just wondering if anybody with Aulani lost a contract before to DVC ROFR?

I already own 3 other timeshares, with HGVC, WorldMark, and Silver Lake Resort in the last 5 years, and been considering DVC ever since. DVC was just too expensive back than (in my view point), because 100 points don't even get you a full week in a studio in Aulani (don't even talk about a 1 bedroom unit that I prefer staying in with a kitchen), that's why I been delaying the purchase for so long. I just couldn't seem to justify the cost of DVC back than.

Fast forward to today, I find that I mainly use my HGVC at Hilton Lagoon tower, and always found one week to not be enough, and usually wanted 10 days or longer for such a long flight. Plus it was always cheaper to fly back on a Mon/Tues/Wed than on the weekends if you do an exactly 1 week trip. I would always supplement my stays at hotels for last 3-4 nights in the past, but always felt nickeled and dimed with the resort fees and parking fees in Oahu. Plus, I finally got over the fact that I can live with just a microwave and small fridge the last few nights in a Studio, at least it will better than just a hotel room. I finally did the math, and decided Disney Aulani is for me, as I understand you get free parking as a DVC member, and no resort fees (just TOT tax that is everywhere for Hawaii). Plus, I have traded in the Marriott's Ko Olina before, and every time I walked thru Aulani, I always envied the people who get to use the lazy river. I always told myself one day I will get to use those pools in Aulani somehow. Now I am finally one step closer to achieving this dream!!!

So, wish me luck on a dream come true, and hopefully I pass ROFR. Will report back when I do. So, what's been your experience with ROFR and Aulani?

Thanks,
    Great3

TravelTime, ljmiii and alwysonvac like this.
  2. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    Did you say how much you were paying for that per point?

3. alwysonvac

alwysonvac Sighting Expert TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark,
    HGVC (Oahu & Vegas),
    VISTANA Mandatory (Orlando & Scottsdale)

Bought and sold several over the years including Disney & Four Seasons
    Yeah, I just looked at the ROFR thread on the Disboards. They have reports of AUL passing and none taken in the last two years. Good news for you :thumbup:

Hoping your dreams come true :cheer:

klpca likes this.
  4. Great3

Great3 TUG Member

Sorry, in my excitement and haste I forgot to mention I am paying $104 per point and closing costs.

Great3

5. Great3

Great3 TUG Member

Thanks Alwysonvac… Yeah, I am thinking I will be okay, but it's still so nerve racking waiting...

Thanks,
    Great3

6. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MVC, Westin, Hyatt, DVC, Four Seasons
    Aulani is my favorite DVC resort (along with AK). It is my favorite resort in all of Hawaii and I have been to Hawaii 8 times, staying in all 4 and 5 star resorts in the past on all the major islands. I bought 200 points for $82.50 through Fidelity about 1-2 years ago. $104 is probably okay for a smaller contract and given that Aulani has gone up in the resale market recently. I was told by my broker that DVC is not exercising ROFR at Aulani at any price. She was absolutely sure my offer would pass and it did.

Aulani is really the best value IMHO in the DVC network right now between being a 4.5 start hotel on the beach in Hawaii, it is a gorgeous Hawaiian themed resort, it has among the lowest buy-in costs, and it is actually fairly easy to trade into other WDW resorts at the 7 month mark. The downsides are the MFs are a bit higher than other DVCs but overall, the difference is inconsequential to me.

7. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

I think it's a near certainty you'll be fine. Aulani isn't sold out, so there isn't much incentive for them to buy back points, except at a very bargain basement price. Congratulations on your purchase!

TravelTime likes this.
  8. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MVC, Westin, Hyatt, DVC, Four Seasons
    I suspect that in the long term, Aulani will sell for multiple increments over the current resale price. Hawaii is very expensive and us west coast people love to pay a lot of money for nothing. LOL

9. Great3

Great3 TUG Member

Now, wouldn't that be nice? I always buy with expectations / assumptions that all timeshares will be worthless / 100% lost of principle when the time comes for me to exit, and just be happy / pleasantly surprise if there are value left at all. Of course, for DVC, I hope this isn't true, but I still just try to keep my hopes down, so I won't be disappointed. I plan on holding onto this DVC contract for 20-30 years, and sell sometime alone those lines, unless I happen to replace with an even bigger points contract.

Great3

10. JohnB3

JohnB3 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DVC - SSR
    VV - Grandview
    MHB - Marriott Willow Ridge
    Nice price on a subsidized contract. That resort has sold more slowly than Disney planned (they have started and finished a couple of WDW resorts since they started sell Aulani) I think you will be fine My family really enjoyed Aulani last summer but it's a long way from the east coast.

11. Great3

Great3 TUG Member

Well, I am happy to report today, I got notification from my broker that my contract for Aulani passed ROFR. Now just waiting on estoppel and closing. Super excited!!!

History: I made offer on Feb. 28th, seller and I each countered one time, and than seller accept at $104 that day. We both signed contact same day, and it was submitted to DVC for ROFR review on next day on March 1st. Today, March 12th, I passed ROFR, so about 12 days total (8 business days). Thanks, for listening (reading).

Great3

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    RX8, littlestar, Firepath and 3 others like this.
  12. rickandcindy23

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    Congratulations!

We are excited that we are staying at Aulani on 4/26/2019 for one night, before we go over to Marriott's Ko Olina for a week. We have never been. I got a one bedroom Island Gardens view. It was 50 points, however. Rick said, "How many????" Hahahaha!

13. Great3

Great3 TUG Member

I stayed at Marriott's Ko Olina before, it was absolutely amazing. You will love it. Truth be told, I am actually not that big a fan of Disney, but my wife adores all things Disney, and I just wanted to make sure she is happy!!! Besides, I always wanted to use the lazy river there, that I can do that all day long.

14. Swans5

Swans5 TUG Member

I can't remember what their pool-under-construction periods are, but my sister just called the resort for an August visit and got the $50/night resort credit attached to her reservation. Worth checking if they are doing this in April. Fingers crossed the lazy river is available!

15. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

Refurbishment is from aug 19 to dec 17 according to dvc. These pool areas will be closed.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

16. Great3

Great3 TUG Member

Thanks Everybody. Although I haven't close yet, I feel very good now that I pass ROFR already, but still won't count my eggs until it hatched.

Am I crazy, I am already thinking about putting in an offer for another Aulani contract after reading all the threads about the possibility of renting out the points to cover your Maintenance Fee's? That way, I can get a 1-bedroom like I always loved / wanted (that was what put me off purchasing DVC for so long originally because of buy-in cost versus what you can get for your points for the MFs - only studios at Aulani for 100 points contract and not even a full week). I am starting to envision enough points for a 1 bedroom for a whole week or a little bit more now, and just renting out what I don't need. Originally, my plan was just a studio for a few nights to replace hotel stays. Man oh man, the possibilities, and the dream just keep on getting bigger!!! I am going to have to think about it some more.

Thanks,
    Great3

TravelTime likes this.
  17. NotNew

NotNew Guest

Yes, 100 points is difficult to use/get enjoyment from.

18. NotNew

NotNew Guest

19. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Why wouldn't DVC not want to exercise ROFR on subsidized contracts at just about any cost? Would it be cheaper in the long run to take it back in and resell it unsubsidized?

20. JohnB3

JohnB3 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DVC - SSR
    VV - Grandview
    MHB - Marriott Willow Ridge
    They still have a boat load of unsold inventory at Aulani so I don’t think you will see much focus on ROFR until they are much closer to sold out, at which point I’d expect the subsidized contracts to have more trouble that others. I believe Disney sees Aulani as a failure

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  21. NotNew

NotNew Guest

I would agree. Disney has so many points to unload. They probably wont start to care until much more of the inventory sells out.

22. NotNew

NotNew Guest

BTW, $80-100 / point is right where I've seen most everyone buy/sell right now.

23. chalee94

chalee94 TUG Member

There is always a risk of a recession or gas price spikes that might limit travel and mean you'd have to eat the additional maintenance fees yourself. (DVC is relatively safe but it's a big cost up front and there are always risks, even if everything is roses right now.)

24. rickandcindy23

Resorts Owned:
    What price is average for Boardwalk Villas and Beach Club Villas? I also love Wilderness (Boulder Ridge) and would love to know what those are going for.

25. RX8

RX8 TUG Member

Fidelity seems to have the most realistic listing prices. I purchased VGC from them at a price significantly less than other places I looked at.

https://www.fidelityresales.com/disney-timeshares

ucsfdude likes this.