• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Discussion about Last Minute Rentals forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I suppose I have more of a problem with the Looking for LMR section vs offering LMR
There is a section in TUG that requires membership for those looking
Rent-Wish-USA
and

For Exchange

If your looking for something this is the place for that, people can try to help others here.
I have helped, and have been helped using this section.

So I really wouldn't mind seeing the looking for LMR disappear especially if it can be used by non-members.

no part of the marketplace requires membership to browse.

the only part of the forums that requires membership is the sightings section.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
added a new sticky that will hopefully make it easier for folks to find more rentals available and increase traffic for those interested in renting to the marketplace for additional discounted rentals.

Crafty71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
Maybe it's just me...as Bob Dylan once said: "The times they are a'changing...".

Now that more and more TS are points based and we are all (presumably) adults, I don't know why it cannot simply be "offered" and "wanted" threads (with no guidelines or restrictions)...somebody wants something, they put it out there and people that have what the person wants (or close to it) can make an offer and that person is free to accept the offer or reject it. The same goes for someone who has something to offer...they can put it out there with whatever price they want and then entertain offers and are free to accept or reject...

Sounds so simple, but I have not been around these parts for as long as others and so there is probably something I am missing...:shrug:

Cheers!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Now that more and more TS are points based and we are all (presumably) adults, I don't know why it cannot simply be "offered" and "wanted" threads (with no guidelines or restrictions).

As explained above, a forum like that would be overwhelmed by commercial/for-profit rentals, which is not our goal.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me...as Bob Dylan once said: "The times they are a'changing...".

Now that more and more TS are points based and we are all (presumably) adults, I don't know why it cannot simply be "offered" and "wanted" threads (with no guidelines or restrictions)...somebody wants something, they put it out there and people that have what the person wants (or close to it) can make an offer and that person is free to accept the offer or reject it. The same goes for someone who has something to offer...they can put it out there with whatever price they want and then entertain offers and are free to accept or reject...

Sounds so simple, but I have not been around these parts for as long as others and so there is probably something I am missing...:shrug:

Cheers!

thats exactly how it works....here: https://ads.tug2.net

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Is there any way to improve the Advance Search Page?

(1) It states “Type a Resort Name or Location or Keyword” but it doesn’t accept a resort system. For example if I wanted to a list of all two bedroom platinum HGVC resorts for rent or sale. There is no easy way to pull that info. Perhaps a value on the pull down list that indicate all “HGVC (all resorts)”, “Marriott (all resorts)”, etc. The person can then use the other fields to limit the location to a specific area if they wish.
NOTE: Also there doesn’t appear to be a way to indicate annual or eoy on the Advance Search Page.

(2) There doesn’t seem to be a way for folks to pull all exchanges requesting their specific resort or location. For example, I see lots of private exchanges requesting the Maui area but the Advance Search function doesn’t have a way of presenting that information. I’m assuming the Advance Search Page should have another field that searches through the selections captured under “Owner wants to exchange for...”.
It would be nice to pull all exchanges requesting my specific resort, or the location where my resort resides or any requests for resorts in my timeshare group (i.e HGVC).

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I know things aren't going to change but I am giving my suggestions anyway and I feel like these very modest changes won't open a flood gate of commercial renting. You already have commercial renting for profit but right now only those who can get cheap smaller units can benefit from the current levels.

My proposal (every 3 years levels can be re-evaluated)
1 BR, studios, hotel size units remain the same $100 per night. ($700 max per week)
2 BR $125 per night. ($875 max per week)
3 BR or larger $150 per night ($1050 per week)

Since point systems often charge close to twice as much for weekend rentals (Fridays and Saturdays) if a rental is for 5 nights or less then Friday and or Saturday can have a premium of an extra $50 per night. (if you have a full week or longer, you probably have enough weekdays to balance out the higher cost of the weekends)

So for 5 nights or fewer nights including weekend night(s)
1 BR or smaller $150 per night for Friday and/or Saturday and $100 per night for other nights. (5 nights including 2 weekend nights $600 or less)
2 BR $175 per night for Friday and/or Saturday and $125 for other nights. (5 nights including 2 weekend nights $725 or less)
3 BR or larger $200 per night for Friday and/or Saturday and $150 for other nights. (5 nights including 2 weekend nights $850 or less)

I would also like to see no more than 5 separate topic/new posts per month under LMR for any poster. If you have more than 5 than include multiple rentals in the same thread or add to your current topic. Don't start a new thread. One of my pet peeves is one or two posters will start a new topic to ask for the same rental multiple times (starting a new topic each time) rather than bumping their original requests.

Yes it would be harder to moderate. I have volunteered to moderate a more complicated LMR board in the past and would still be willing to do so.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is there any way to improve the Advance Search Page?

(1) It states “Type a Resort Name or Location or Keyword” but it doesn’t accept a resort system. For example if I wanted to a list of all two bedroom platinum HGVC resorts for rent or sale. There is no easy way to pull that info. Perhaps a value on the pull down list that indicate all “HGVC (all resorts)”, “Marriott (all resorts)”, etc. The person can then use the other fields to limit the location to a specific area if they wish.
NOTE: Also there doesn’t appear to be a way to indicate annual or eoy on the Advance Search Page.

(2) There doesn’t seem to be a way for folks to pull all exchanges requesting their specific resort or location. For example, I see lots of private exchanges requesting the Maui area but the Advance Search function doesn’t have a way of presenting that information. I’m assuming the Advance Search Page should have another field that searches through the selections captured under “Owner wants to exchange for...”.
It would be nice to pull all exchanges requesting my specific resort, or the location where my resort resides or any requests for resorts in my timeshare group (i.e HGVC).

1. you can absolutely just type in a resort system name in the advanced search box. you dont have to select any items from the drop down menu.

1b. there is also an option to choose the usage type:

upload_2019-2-16_1-6-55.png

2. we do not have the ability to search for what folks want in exchanges, this is something done automatically (to detect matches and alert members about them via email). all you have to do is post your own direct exchange ad and anything that matches for you will trigger a notification via email.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know things aren't going to change but I am giving my suggestions anyway and I feel like these very modest changes won't open a flood gate of commercial renting.

Perhaps all that's wanted is things to remain the same, but get better.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
1. you can absolutely just type in a resort system name in the advanced search box. you dont have to select any items from the drop down menu.

1b. there is also an option to choose the usage type:

View attachment 10414

Thanks but how do you pull all HGVC rental ads?
Here’s what I see in the drop down.

Pulling all Marriott tends to be easier since the resort name generally begins with Marriott so all I need to type is Marriott.

A34059DB-8D83-4E4A-A48D-33D5C014B3F1.jpeg

114FAB19-E73C-4200-9793-0379F81BA08B.jpeg

6165B6B0-B6A7-4721-BDE8-64687E9FF8E6.jpeg

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of limiting LMR posts to the amount of MFs instead of $700. If someone exceeds MFs, other users would quickly flag it, and it can be removed.

Or we could have a separate LMR section for high end resorts.

I would like to improve direct exchanging. I own Wyndham and Bluegreen and I would love the idea of trying more Hiltons, Marriotts, etc. I am happy to pay extra for the upgrade or to give a peak week for an offseason week if needed, to equalize the exchange.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I like the idea of limiting LMR posts to the amount of MFs instead of $700. If someone exceeds MFs, other users would quickly flag it, and it can be removed. <snip>

This would put an enormous burden on TUG moderators. Somebody flags a listing and before removing it, a TUG Moderator has to try to find out what maintenance fees are for that resort, week and unit size.

If the only thing needed to remove a listing would be some number of flags from users, it sounds like Craig's List.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I may have missed something but if someone posts in the "LMR wanted" I don't see where there is a limit to what I can ask for my unit when I contact them.

I currently have an ad in LMR offered, I check often in the wanted forum to see it there is something that matches what I have. I of course say that I'll rent for the $700 that I have posted.

I like the forum and for me the $700 is still just over my cost so I don't lose anything there, I can see why others would like it raised a little just to cover their costs. I did rent one of the units I had posted over there last week.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the vast majority of resorts, you can find MFs by doing a quick search. It takes a couple minutes only. Plus, all the regulars know what MFs are. Someone abusing the rules, would quickly be identified. For example, if I post Bonnet Creek 1BR for $3,000, you and many others would quickly flag it.

Maybe for the obscure resort, the posters are encouraged to add their actual MFs. i.e. I am requesting $800. My MFs are $900.

If a couple posts slip through the cracks, no big deal.

pentiumii1

Reaction score
Denise - that is partially true. I do wish make a profit on rentals. But at other times I do not, instead I truly wish to help someone else out in a bind or in need. I know I have been helped that way. And I wish I would have been helped on a recent last-minute trip to the Florida Keys (for family wedding). None of my regular resources could help me find a timeshare to use in the keys. I posted on the last minute and got nothing at all, except a few PMs that said that the low level of $100 per night just would not cut it for the Keys. While I was not asked to offer more, the implication was there. I felt it was inappropriate to offer more, despite my misgivings about the $100 per night limit. But I would rather line the pockets of a fellow timeshare owner than a hotel.

I searched hotels and found that a mid-range hotel (LaQuinta, Marriott Courtyard, Holiday Inn Express, etc.) in the middle keys would cost me over $350 per night once I added the hotel tax, etc. to the cost. And this is for . . . a HOTEL ROOM. So, that is what we did, I rented a hotel room that was supposed to have to two double beds, but only had a king bed; we used an air mattress for our teen daughter to sleep on the floor. The room was not clean, was noisy, and had view of the dumpster (main floor). And I had to pay to park on top of that. . . my wife commented "we have grown accustomed to staying in timeshare units, and I am so disappointed in this stay."

Long story short, I got online and found a last-minute room at Wyndham Sea Gardens for the last two nights of our stay, and commuted the last two days. It was worth it to have a clean room with a separate bedroom (and bath!!) for our daughter and a kitchen, and laundry.

How I wish that I could have requested a true timeshare unit for the Keys for our stay, and paid an appropriate price for it.

Can consideration be given to altering this long-held tradition? Maybe keep at at $100 per night for the studios and one bedroom units. Or maybe allow the posters (such as myself in the Keys situation) to offer to pay a more reasonable cost per night for some of these situations?

Thanks for allowing an opposing viewpoint. I do appreciate this forum and venue.

Wesley

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Some MF's are much better than others for some pretty nice stuff.
At our resort the 1,2,and 3 bedrooms all have the same MF but a huge difference in points.
Just how they set it up, buyers have no idea until later. Of coarse the seasons make a difference in points. A 2 bedroom has same MF all year but points from 50,000 to 172,000 for the same unit different season. Following a MF standard would be a mess in MHO.

We can always research a value to a vacation / resort so many times a limit can't be made on the $100 a night trip.
So just because a limit is say $200 many times that won't be made but prime times are another story.
This is the real value of timesharing and ownership saving us money by owning.

If I traveled non prime time I would just rent from tugers cheaper than owning no dought in my mind by just using the Tug wish section.

Last edited:

pentiumii1

Reaction score
As a renter or consumer of the LMR offers, it has always boggled my mind that people want more for their weeks but couldn't have been bothered to start finding a renter until a few or even one week before it has to be used. Isn't there another section where people can post their weeks within any duration and at any price? It seems to me that the limit somewhat forces owners to have more awareness of what they own and what the consequences are of letting it expire or go for less than their MF. It is clear from the listings that most are always listed at the maximum of $100 and that whatever the limit would be raised to would become the new typical price from the owner. In my opinion, the LMR section has been well thought out and ultimately helps owners get something out of a bad situation. I try to think back to the days when I was clueless about how timeshare worked and wonder how some of my comments to owners may have sounded. Today I understand why rooms are available on specific dates, the concerns the owners have about the reservation process, the payment process, as I have always had some concern about whether the property would be there when I arrived. I would however like to offer a giant thank you to all of the owners that take the time to post their units and deal with unsophisticated renters. I sincerely appreciate you. I am sorry that I cannot always pay your entire MF, but I hope that I have helped defray those expenses while being a responsible and dependable renter.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really do NOT like the LMR thread rental price limit ... I get inquiries from the Marketplace offering me $100 or less per night. And many times, they also want to rent only 2 or 3 nights but my points reservation or fixed week is an unbreakable 7 night booking.

What is the one common statement the 'prospects' say "something is better than nothing" .. my thoughts are "I rather WAIT and get nothing" as that firm offer from you was an insult.

But what I say is "good luck to finding a place" ... and note their userid id as "bottom feeder". And I rather give it back to my one resort to rent out ... at least they are onsite and have keys to the unit. Others I cancel the points reservation 15 or more days before checkin ... trying the cancel/rebook for the discount, etc. And if I have leftover points, I deposit those expiring points with RCI. Still cheaper paying an exchange fee and a RCI combining fee, than "gifting" a TS vacation stay costing me a Guest Certificate and the $1000+ MFs for the year.

I have gotten replies telling me to SAVE their contact info or they contact me a week or two before the checkin day ... repeating their lowball offer. And sometimes offering $100 per night for a 2 night stay. Or they only NEED a 1 bdr .. they won't be using the 2nd bedroom.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
...a TUG Moderator has to try to find out what maintenance fees are for that resort, week and unit size.

Seems to me that trying to determine an owners maintenance fee by a simple search may not give a reliable answer.

For example, when searching for sale listings at Sheraton Vistana Resort, maintenance fees can vary, for the same describe unit.

One 2bd/2bath that sleeps 6, lists the maintenance fee at $971.00, while another is listed at $823.20

The 2/bd/2bath units that sleep 8, vary from $977.00 to $1,280.00

You also have 2lbd/2bath units that sleep 8, with different maintenance fees of $1,066.49 and $1,200.00, according to the listings.

Small sample agreed, but all are floating units and all float weeks 1-52.

Perhaps I'm missing something but, can we really determine a particular unit's exact maintenance fee?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Primetime1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club La Pension NOLA
Obviously, a hot-button topic and lots of good points on both sides...a couple of points I like are it should only be available to members that pay the 15 bucks (sm price for great resource). I only joined last yr and just renewed today for 3 yrs.
IF, and I have no idea if true, the 100 a night limit has been in place forever, why NOT update the max price to reflect some kind of common ground w/annual auto increases? Seems like these 2 changes could be simple and fairer and reflect the realistic MF's we pay.
I am finding myself in a similar situation this year-I have a Mardi Gras week and just decided Fri to not go...will be offering a great deal and I do feel that 700 is better then 0 but also it would be nice to get the true MF back.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Today it is very hard to find a desirable hotel room, in a desirable area and desirable time for less then a few hundred a night.

$100 in some cases will be an extreme bargain. If a prime winter week showed up in Key west or Marco Island for $700 for the week it would be grabbed in a few minutes. If one was allowed a bit higher $1000 -$1200 would be a bargain too.

Seems tugs current setup is what it is, definitely has its merits and I understand the model but it doesn’t take these higher priced areas and higher demand times into the equation.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really like the idea of a members only exchange forum that was mentioned.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
The number of resorts with maintenance fees of less than $700 a year for a week are getting fewer and fewer. I'd like to see a second category of last minute rentals. Keep the original one and add a second one for last minute rentals of say maybe a maximum of $150 a night. Of course people are going to think they might get the maximum but they will quickly find out there is no interest if they've overpriced it. And there is nothing stopping anyone from making an offer for less than they are asking.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I like the suggestion of a 2nd section for PREMIUM LMRs for max of $140 or $150/ni (so max $1050/week),
maybe with stated rules of Marriott, Vistana, Hyatt, HGVC and DVC properties only.

Or a 2nd section for 2BR+ properties for $150/ni max.

Status
Not open for further replies.