• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Discount Hawaii Car Rental

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Advantage depends on the airport. It also is advisable to sign up for their frequent buyer program so you can get through the line faster. We have had good rentals some places and bad in others.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Advantage depends on the airport. It also is advisable to sign up for their frequent buyer program so you can get through the line faster. We have had good rentals some places and bad in others.
That is why I checked the reviews for the airport where I would be renting. Maui reviews were not good.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Discount Hawaii has been our go to company for years. When we turned the car in today at Lihue, and I prompted Cliff to see if there was a discount available for turning it in Tuesday instead of Saturday since we had cut our trip short due to Dad's situation, the gal said to him "blah blah $600 blah blah $250 discount". I was not about to deal with it then, but either he never looked at the confirmation paperwork I handed him (I sit outside with the luggage, he goes in to the counter) and let them charge him $600 for a car rental that was supposed to be less than half of that, or the company decided we'd voided the one week contract and we got charged a very high daily rate for 3 days. Once we get Dad settled at home with hospice I'll figure out what the real story is, and I'll also check to see if we were charged at Kahalui our reservation price or something different.

Looks like I need to go to Yelp and Trip Advisor to warn folks about Advantage at Lihue. And lesson learned to triple check the paperwork. We had a $205 reservation through Discount Hawaii at the Lihue Advantage. Cliff declined their insurance at least twice (our own USAA probably covers us, and in any case using our Amex card does), but did not look at what he signed. Sure enough he got char
Discount Hawaii has been our go to company for years. When we turned the car in today at Lihue, and I prompted Cliff to see if there was a discount available for turning it in Tuesday instead of Saturday since we had cut our trip short due to Dad's situation, the gal said to him "blah blah $600 blah blah $250 discount". I was not about to deal with it then, but either he never looked at the confirmation paperwork I handed him (I sit outside with the luggage, he goes in to the counter) and let them charge him $600 for a car rental that was supposed to be less than half of that, or the company decided we'd voided the one week contract and we got charged a very high daily rate for 3 days. Once we get Dad settled at home with hospice I'll figure out what the real story is, and I'll also check to see if we were charged at Kahalui our reservation price or something different.

So I guess it's time to put a warning review on Yelp and Trip Advisor. Our $205 Discount Hawaii Advantage rental at the Lihue airport did indeed become $600. Cliff declined their insurance twice (our USAA insurance, as well as using AMEX to pay for the car covers us), but then did not look at what he signed. SOBs added $200 in collision damage insurance and another $56 for something called "RSP". Don't know if we then paid additional taxes on the $256, but bill was just over $600 and we got a $250 refund for returning it 4 days early. I don't blame him because I could see myself signing without looking if I'd declined something twice. I'm sure they count on the fact that after waiting 30-40 minutes in line folks are in a rush to start their vacation and don't review what they are signing. Expensive lesson learned.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is why I checked the reviews for the airport where I would be renting. Maui reviews were not good.

Rented last month in Maui OGG from Alamo as they had the best reviews and a good price. Wife refused to get in the car due to the dirty seats, (she was right). Brought two more by us - no dice. We looked at another - all were TERRIBLE! Then the lot gal said wait just a minute, I have one you'll like, and I said I will come with to look at it. She stopped me and refused to allow me to go with her. She went to the back of the lot, and drove up with a Ford Escape. Low and behold, she was right, it was great!

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We are trying something new (for us) this year. We have booked an off-airport Enterprise rental on Maui through Costco...22 nights in Sep-Oct, $574 for an intermediate car. Seems like a reasonable deal. We shall see how it turns out. We (or I) just have to catch a taxi for the short ride to Enterprise to pick up the car. I think the "I" idea will work best...coming back to the airport after getting the car to pick up wife & luggage. Then reverse the process when returning the car.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We are trying something new (for us) this year. We have booked an off-airport Enterprise rental on Maui through Costco...22 nights in Sep-Oct, $574 for an intermediate car. Seems like a reasonable deal. We shall see how it turns out. We (or I) just have to catch a taxi for the short ride to Enterprise to pick up the car. I think the "I" idea will work best...coming back to the airport after getting the car to pick up wife & luggage. Then reverse the process when returning the car.
Probably feasible, but a small caveat.

I live in the Seattle area, and one time when I rented a vehicle at a downtown Seattle location, to avoid paying the tourism concession fee I had to prove that I was either a local resident or had been in Seattle for at least 24 hours prior to the rental. The Seattle area fee is hefty - with the fee added it's more expensive for me to rent a car locally for $35/day than it is to rent from a SeaTac area facility for $20/day.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Sounds like another reason not to use Advantage. It's come up at cheapest several times with AutoSlash. I checked their reviews on Maui and they were not good. So I've opted to pay a bit more for a company I know, and one where I am a member.
Thanks for the advice about Advantage on Maui. AutoSlash has just come up with a better price than I had for Maui. I will let it go and pay the additional. I don't need another headache, while on vacation.