• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Discount Hawaii Car Rental

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
Is that $147 the base rate, or does it include taxes? I just checked Costco and they show a Full Size at Alamo for 5/19 to 5/26 for $89 plus tax, or $152, all in. I see an Intermediate car the same week for $148, all in. Is this what you're seeing? $95 for a week is great, if it includes fees.

Dave

The $147 for Oahu and $95 for Maui include base rate and all the taxes & fees. The Maui fee just blew me away. It dropped about $110 from my reservation with Discount Hawaii made in January. The Oahu price is about $50 lower.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The $147 for Oahu and $95 for Maui include base rate and all the taxes & fees. The Maui fee just blew me away. It dropped about $110 from my reservation with Discount Hawaii made in January. The Oahu price is about $50 lower.

$95, all in? That an amazing score! Congrats!

Dave

nalismom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked with DHCR in December for September 2012 and received confirmation from Alamo. Today when I go to the Alamo site to view my reservation with their confirmation number it will not bring up the reservation and says I need to contact the Tour Operator. Anyone have this experience? Does this mean I no longer have a reservation?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I booked with DHCR in December for September 2012 and received confirmation from Alamo. Today when I go to the Alamo site to view my reservation with their confirmation number it will not bring up the reservation and says I need to contact the Tour Operator. Anyone have this experience? Does this mean I no longer have a reservation?

We used DHCR on our last trip and noticed the same thing. The reservation is good, but if you need to cancel or make any changes, you need to do it through DHCR. We didn't have any problem when we went to pick up the car, and we got the low rate that DHCR had promised.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

I believe it's because DHCR gives you its corporate discount rate, so changes for the reservation need to be made through them. You may want to double check the rate you're quoted by trying to make a new reservation, either through them or through another site directly. As you're probably aware, car rental rates tend to change frequently.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Luanne,
We've been to Oahu and Kauai many times using Alamo through Costco and the additional driver was free, even when we added myself at the kiosk. This year I decided to fill in all the information on Alamo's website to cut down kiosk time. I just clicked on Terms & Conditions in each coupon box on Costco's website and it states this "One additional-driver fee is waived for Costco members at participating Alamo locations." I am assuming Maui isn't included. Please call Costco's toll free 1-877-849-2730 to be sure.

All I'm saying is, if we'd wanted a second driver we would have been charged an additional fee. At this point I'm not going to call and check. :)

We were able to upgrade from a midsize to a fullsize car at no extra cost however.

johnfornal

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at the Last minute deals

Hi,

I am leaving Sunday back to the islands again...Kauai this time.

Used Costco many times before and always compared with Hotwire....

This time I used these guys but didn't get the word (email) this morning that last minute deals had dropped prices by $130 at Alamo and Enterprise, so do your own research each day to catch the best deals...

I know what I have paid in the past and the new price is less than $25/day for standard car all in....thats about right. Hope it helps.

Aloha,

John:cool:

rifleman69

TUG Member
Reaction score
Price should be closer to $19.00 including taxes for standard (Nissan Altima or similar). Do your due diligence!

toby9116

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have used them for years. The only time we do not use them is if we can catch a good deal thru Delta vacations air+car(but you have to be careful with Delta Vacations because price does not include taxes and fees). Some times we get air+car close to or cheaper than air only price from MSP to LIH

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
FYI, I don't know what's up with Costco, but I received great deals on both Maui and the BI for car rentals through them. Both were about $50 per week less than what Discount Hawaii quoted. Right now I have an intermediate car for 8 days on Maui for $185 including an extra driver, and 6 days in the BI in an intermediate SUV for $135 (mid June). It's worth checking out.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Not Maui, but I just checked Costco for a rental car out of ABQ for an upcoming trip. My gosh! I'm saving over $100 for the week! :whoopie: My reservation using Avis with a corporate discount for a midsize was abour $320. With Costco we're getting a Budget car (not my favorite, but for the savings I'll take it) is $205. And yes, that includes all fees. I checked priceline and tried bidding and I doubt I'm going to get something cheaper.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Since starting this thread I've been keeping tabs daily on car rental rates. Things are hopping all over the place, and it's been an interesting chase, trying to find the best deal.

I've ended up with a convertible for a week on Oahu through Enterprise from HNL for $236 all-in. I got it through Costco's website. With the $44 I saved by not using the transfer company to Waikiki from the airport, that makes the convertible less than $200 for a week. I can definitely live with that. I could have gotten a hardtop car for less money, but it's Summer in Hawaii, so why NOT have a convertible? :)

The convertible on Kauai is still cheapest from DHCR. That was through Thrifty. I'm staying with that one.

Vacation is just a few weeks away, so my focus is shifting away from car rental, and closing in on things-to-do tickets. Fun times!

Dave

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Since starting this thread I've been keeping tabs daily on car rental rates. Things are hopping all over the place, and it's been an interesting chase, trying to find the best deal.

I've ended up with a convertible for a week on Oahu through Enterprise from HNL for $236 all-in. I got it through Costco's website. With the $44 I saved by not using the transfer company to Waikiki from the airport, that makes the convertible less than $200 for a week. I can definitely live with that. I could have gotten a hardtop car for less money, but it's Summer in Hawaii, so why NOT have a convertible? :)

The convertible on Kauai is still cheapest from DHCR. That was through Thrifty. I'm staying with that one.

Vacation is just a few weeks away, so my focus is shifting away from car rental, and closing in on things-to-do tickets. Fun times!

Dave

Thanks for posting Dave. I had looked at Costco over a month ago and the rates have changed for us also.

7 nights in a mini van on Maui is cheaper through Budget on Costco, than the price I got through Discountcarrental, Thrifty. A midsize with them was $239.58 incl taxes.

Base Rate $143.54
Taxes & Fees $80.64
Rental Price $224.18

Basically $15 bucks cheaper for a 7 passenger vehicle...kids will love the van, hubby will hate it:rofl:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for posting Dave. I had looked at Costco over a month ago and the rates have changed for us also.

7 nights in a mini van on Maui is cheaper through Budget on Costco, than the price I got through Discountcarrental, Thrifty. A midsize with them was $239.58 incl taxes.

Base Rate $143.54
Taxes & Fees $80.64
Rental Price $224.18

Basically $15 bucks cheaper for a 7 passenger vehicle...kids will love the van, hubby will hate it:rofl:

Ah, but $15 is $15! Remind Hubby of that next time you're buying gas. ;)

Glad you found a better bargain.

Dave

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
The place I have used for the past few years has been unbeatable: www.carrentalhawaii.com.
I have a 3-week rental for end of June through mid July on Oahu, made in January of this year. The price for a Full Size was $588 ($792 after taxes).
I just checked the site and they have the exact same price today.
90% of the time, they give you Alamo. The only negative is that the confirmation number they give you is not valid at the kiosks for some reason.
The BEST thing about this place is that you can get the quote instantly without having to give them any personal information.
No other site I have seen even begins to approach these prices.

Even so, I just requested a quote from Discount Hawaii Car Rental, and will let you know the results.
I will say that I am put off by having to enter so much personal information this site requires me to put in just to get a delays quote. Were it not for the rave TUG reviews, I would have skipped the site for this reason.

Last edited:

lakeshearers

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Maui in July, and I thought I had a GREAT rate already - checked Costco today and have a minivan for 9 days for $338 all inclusive! That is over 1/2 off where I started when I orginally booked, and $119 over the rate I got a month ago when I got the best rate I could imagine! This is crazy for Maui!!!:whoopie:

Oops - should have said this is with Avis.

JulieAB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Yikes, I'm just seeing almost $400 for a midsize! We're looking at the end of Aug/Sept, flexible on the island but lean toward Oahu. Thoughts? This is Costco even!

kherbold

TUG Member
Reaction score
cheap cars hawaii

Afte many years... he best place to book a car is www.hotwire.com

Beats any car rental and intermediary ever.

If you think you are getting a good deal some where... book it.. make sure you can get a refund if you cancel.. hen go to hotwire.. with the same dates and type of car..... get quote.... dont book it..... but have it monitored or watched..... unless of course its lower right away... you may see price go up, but eventually its lower than the origional quote..... never failed yet...

same with hotels...... they are great.

karl

Those of you who know me also know I usually brag about the great deals on car rentals in Hawaii that you can get from Costco.com. But I'm also frugal enough to know that a deal is a deal, no matter where it comes from. I wanted to pass along a strong recommendation for anyone who might be able to use their services.

I had what I felt was a great car rental deal from Alamo through Costco.com for our upcoming two-island trip to Hawaii. Just for the heck of it, I asked the folks at Discount Hawaii Car Rental to see what kind of a deal they could give me.

To their credit, they came back with a much better deal through Thrifty for both Oahu and Kauai. Same type of cars, including a convertible on Kauai, but at a much cheaper price. By going through them instead of using the reservations I had made six months ago, I saved more than $125. And that's enough money to go a long way toward a great sunset dinner at The Beach House in Poipu. :cheer:

www.DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Afte many years... he best place to book a car is www.hotwire.com

Beats any car rental and intermediary ever.

This is not true. I am a frequent user of both Priceline and Hotwire. I check them for every rental I do. Suffice to say that I have seen many occasions where Hotwire is not even close to being the cheapest option. I have seen situations where Hotwire has actually been the most expensive option.

It always pays to shop around, and Hotwire is certainly one site that is always worthy of checking.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Over on the Travel Forum, there are several recommendations to use Costco. I've used them myself with good results, but as Steve says, it also pays to shop around Priceline, etc.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently booked cars for a 3 island trip for June. I had never used Costco before. My experience is that Costco pricing changes daily just like Hotwire. I'd always been a staunch Hotwire supporter. Not anymore. I'd look everyday and go back and forth between the two to see who had what when. Of course with Costco-you can book/cancel..book/cancel.

My final bookings are :

Oahu 2 days Premium car 55.00 (Costco)

Maui 7 days Premium car 173.00 (Hotwire)

Kauai 8 days Premium car 250.00 (Costco)

All ended up being Alamo.

All in 478.00 for 17 days. Not too shabby! My only wish is that is was actually me who was going! :bawl:

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco Alamo - 2nd driver is always free and we've been doing this for years. I just booked today through Costco's website. The strange thing is it made me create an account to log in in order to book the rez. I went to Alamo.com to verify if Alamo got my rez and found it. I also filled in driver's license and addresses, etc and added myself as 2nd driver and the confirmation from Alamo came back with the description 2nd driver's name ($9.99/day) but the line total = $0.00. :)

When you did this..added the second driver...did you have to show ID at Alamo? I ask because I have booked a car on Oahu for a family of 5-however the husband will not arrive until a couple hours after the family. The wife will need to pick up rental car and then pick him up. She really doesn't want to drive all the time-so I told her to pick him up and take him back to Alamo to add him. They have a Costco Rez-which says 2nd driver free. It sure would make things simpler if I can add him via Alamo.com and she can just use the Kiosk and get on her way. Do you think I can do this?

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
Why not give Alamo in Honolulu a call. They may allow you to bring a copy of the 2nd driver's license and get him listed on the record. Otherwise when you pick him up at the airport just stop by Alamo and get him signed in.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Our son arrived 8 hours after us, and we added him when we picked them up at the airport. You have to go to the counter and not use the easy kiosk, but they will add the second driver later.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I just updated my Honolulu reservation yesterday, (after finding a killer deal through Costco's website -- best rates yet), and the reservation included the second driver.

Dave