TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Different car for retirement?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by DaveNW, Dec 1, 2019.

1. WinniWoman

WinniWoman TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook

He went to the dealer. He had texted me something about not purchasing tire insurance.

DaveNW likes this.
  2. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Ok. Even if he has to pay for a full replacement tire, it's still only a couple hundred dollars. It's a tire. The same could happen on any vehicle with RFTs. When someone buys a new BMW, they have the option of deleting the RFTs in favor of conventional tires and a spare. But even if your brother had done that, he'd still be on the hook to buy a new tire to replace the one that got the nail.

My point is that this isn't a BMW issue, it's a tire issue. :)

Dave

CanuckTravlr and WinniWoman like this.
  3. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
    Concerning Roadhazard warranty: If you don't want to pay the dealer costs, you can go to Discount Tire, NTB, Goodyear ... and purchase it as separate item on new car tires.

DaveNW and WinniWoman like this.
  4. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

I've just been informed that Cliff had a hard time getting in and out of the Miata. And he says it is too small to carry the winch it would take to hoist me out of it. So that's off the list.

Lydlady, Tia, DaveNW and 2 others like this.
  5. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

As an owner of 3 BMWs, including a 545i. I had nothing but both small and huge electronic and mechanical issues, including the last car, the 545i, towed due to engine failure warning that came on twice within a week and we only had possession of the car for a total of 24 hrs after 5 repair service visits within the 2 weeks. The dealership said they had no idea on the cause of the problems. I dumped the last one, the 545i, at 70K miles and swore off ever owning one again.

We have been very happy Subaru owners but then we sold the last one off when the trunk space on our second Outback was too small to hold 2 sets of golf clubs. Our first Outback had wider trunk space. We weren't thinking when we bought our current car, Lexus ES350, to get wider trunk space. It has been a disappointment and we should have bought a Subaru Legacy to get the wider trunk instead.

Our next car will go back to a wider trunk space and comfortable SUV, which we have not found yet. Since we drive alot, Subaru's superior 4 wheel drive and Eyesight technology cannot be beaten for safety. We will seriously look at the Ascent or Legacy if the Outback continues to be built with narrow trunk space.

6. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    We have both a small sedan (Nissan Altima) and an SUV (Toyota Rav4).
    Each offers a different driving experience. I enjoy driving them both.

BTW, I got our last set of tires at Sam's Club. Their tire mounting service
    ($15/tire) includes lifetime balance+rotation & road hazard protection.

DaveNW likes this.
  7. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I'm still driving a Tundra pickup that I got initially to pull our 5th wheel RV. It's big, comfortable, loaded with options, and a gas hog. The trailer is history. But it's paid for, and I can't see spending 10's of thou$and for a lesser vehicle.

DW bought a Honda plug-in hybrid, so we buy zero gas unless we take a highway trip. It's big, comfortable, snappy to drive around town, and has averaged over 60mpg over 1 1/2 years. The dog has his 'happy place' in the trunk with the back seats folded down.

I'm holding out for an electric pickup, but that may be a lengthy wait. I think the expected Tesla p/u is butt ugly, and the Ford F150 electric is an unknown. No hurry, but so far, none of the offerings raise my pulse. The Toyota is fine.

Jim

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    WinniWoman, easyrider and DaveNW like this.
  8. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    Our most recent purchase (my husband's 2016 Ford Edge) will probably take us into retirement. I drive a 2012 Mini and I plan on driving it until it dies. So far, so good. It is my favorite car of any that I have owned. I will get a few more years out of it and will decide on the next car then.

Before we bought the Edge I sat in the passenger seat of 17 different cars. No lie. I have long legs and Asian cars, especially Honda's and Toyota's hit me at a weird place on the back of my legs and trigger my sciatica. American cars definitely have the most comfortable seats for me, with the German cars a close second. I really, really loved the Lincoln SUV and the smaller Cadillac, but my husband didn't want to drive those ("old lady" cars to him, lol). We will always have some type of crossover, just for ease of getting in and out.

For our retirement years, I think that comfort and reliability will be the most important features.

WinniWoman, slip and DaveNW like this.
  9. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    Not a fan of the looks of the Tesla pick up truck either. I wonder what Elon was thinking. The Tesla motorcycle looks like it was designed kind of like the truck, lol.

Bill

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e54d734a6a3f542e6237b56bbe9c2e0a&oe=5E83102B

Rolltydr and DaveNW like this.
  10. Bucky

Bucky TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    LOL. This thread was perfectly timed for us. Picking up the wife’s new RX350 this morning. As of two months ago I was driving a very conservative Nissan Rogue. I am in end stage heart failure but still get around pretty well, albeit on battery power 24/7. I decided I wanted a “little fun again” in my life. Went and purchased a used BMW 435i. I love it. Except, I have to fall into it! Getting out is easier. But, it sure is fun while I’m in it. This thing has better 0-60 and 1/4 mi times than the 1964 GTO with tri power I owned many moons ago. I’m a firm believer you can’t take it with you. As long as the wife is well taken care of is all that matters to me. Our kids already make more than we ever did so they can fend for themselves.

WinniWoman, klpca, DaveNW and 3 others like this.
  11. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Go ahead and enjoy it. I, too am on battery power with an Ejection Fraction of 20-25%. I'm enjoying the kick of the electric Honda. My needs are simple, and the rest of the family will be fine. Take good care!

Jim

WinniWoman and DaveNW like this.
  12. simpsontruckdriver

simpsontruckdriver Guest

He can go to the local tag office in the county he is moving to. Florida title transfer fees are $77.25 for an out-of-state title transfer fee for an electronic title, $2 to record a lien, and $225 for a new-to-Florida vehicle fee. Florida uses electronic titles, meaning it's a couple extra dollars if a paper title is requested. Then, he will have a choice between a "basic" tag or one of hundreds of plates that benefit something (sports or charities) for extra cost per year. Of course, if he is moving to the ever-growing Villages, he should plan on following the mantra "when in Rome do as the Romans do" and also buy a golf cart! But, since Florida does not require emissions testing, and our gasoline prices are fair (lower than the west coast and northeast), fuel economy isn't much of an issue.

Transferring/signing up for Medicare is a whole different matter (which is what I do).

TS

DaveNW likes this.
  13. elaine

elaine TUG Member

Yep. Dh gave 10 year old Nissan Armada to ds and got a Honda Pilot. He still wanted a larger suv. But Honda gets much better gas mileage, easier to get in/out, and has more safety features like lane departure warnings frontal collision etc. which we thought was a good ideas for 60+. We will likely hand it down to ds or dd in 10 years as well. Also bought extended warranty. 1st time ever. Will be in new city and want convenience of just taking to dealer and not worrying.

DaveNW likes this.
  14. PamMo

PamMo Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Much to our kids' amusement, we've transitioned from a Porsche 911 and BMW X5 to a Chrysler Pacifica van (to haul all the grandkids on trips) and a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit (DH says we "needed" it for rough back roads to hiking trailheads).

15. Brett

Brett Guest

My retirement car is a Honda CRV - easy to get in/out, good on gas and mechanically reliable

16. buzglyd

buzglyd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Lagoon Tower
    HGVC Carlsbad Seapointe
    Gaslamp Plaza Suites
    Carlsbad Inn
    SVV Bella
    Only lease German cars. Never own a German car out of warranty.

17. Carta

Carta TUG Member

Retired 2003....Bought new Nissan Sentra 2005.....Nothing fancy...I use it to run errands and go fishing..Today I have just 51,500 miles on it..
    Wifey Poo has the new SUV...When we drive anywhere far, we use her car...

18. wackymother

wackymother TUG Member

We just got a 2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid. We thought it would be comfier than it is for my husband, who has back and leg problems, but other than that we like it. It's very luxurious compared to the 2004 Corolla we had up till then! I wanted the new safety features, including lane assist, blind spot alert, backup camera, collision avoidance, braking assist, things like that, and so far the ones we've used have been really helpful for aging drivers. Highly recommended for everybody.

DaveNW, Rolltydr and WinniWoman like this.
  19. WinniWoman

WinniWoman TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Well he did transfer one car- but that is a car he owned. This is a leased car.

DaveNW likes this.
  20. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

On my last car I had extended warranty up until 100K. It cost me nothing to send it in for service but what is the point of owning a car when it spends more time at the dealership than it runs?

DaveNW and PamMo like this.
  21. Bucky

Bucky TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    Shoot, you’re in great shape Jim! My EF is <15 Have had an LVAD for just over three years now. It is what it is.

DaveNW likes this.
  22. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
    I’m just the opposite. Because I’m tall I can not easily get into a car. I need my SUV for ease of entry. Now that might change in 20 years.

I bought a Toyota Highlander in September hoping this will take me into retirement in 2026. I’m usually able to get 12 years out of my Toyota

DaveNW likes this.
  23. elaine

elaine TUG Member

In my 20s I had a 318i manual BMW. When the speedometer went out and it was $700 to repair, with a blue book of about $4k, I decided that I didn’t really need to know how fast I was going and drove it that way for a good year! I guesstimated from the rpm or just went the speed of everyone else.

x3 skier, klpca and DaveNW like this.
  24. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
    I'm loving my Toyota Highlander... Do you like yours?

Tia and DaveNW like this.
  25. BJRSanDiego

BJRSanDiego TUG Member

Expenses and reliability.

When I retired, I had a truck and 2 cars. Their average age was about 20 years old. I had read that one of the mistakes that people make when they retire is to spend a big chunk on their nest egg (remodeling, motorhome, huge $$ vacation, etc.), so I continued to nurse along those 3 old vehicles doing the servicing and vast majority of the repairs myself. Also, I retired just before the 2008 recession and watched my 401K turn into a 201K. So, I was very conservative in my expenses and budget. After about 6 or 7 years my 401K had significantly recovered and I felt more confident in my finances. Also, my need for having a reliable vehicle was a major growing factor and motivator. I no longer wanted to be "on call" whenever something malfunctioned on my old vehicles.

So I sold the both the old T-bird and the '84 Vette (it was no longer practical and I rarely drove it) and bought an Equinox (with the V6). Great car, ultra reliable and decent mileage. Also, it had enough room for our "drive-to" vacations. Then a few years later I replaced the 22 year old truck with a new Chevy Colorado (truck). Lots of creature comforts but only so-so reliability. It has a small truck bed and camper shell, so it is great for TS trips. The height of the truck required running boards for my wife.

BTW @elaine , when the instrument cluster on the Vette stopped working, I went to GM for a replacement and they quoted $4K for a new cluster (plus installation costs). Yikes!! That nearly took away my breath. I found a company that would take in the "core" and replace it with a refurbished (used) cluster for about $400 or $500. I did the install. Whew!

I have some friends who recently retired and they down sized from 2 vehicles to only one - - a Prius IIRC. They live in Palm Desert, Ca. so the Prius works well for them. Easy to drive, easy to park and low operating cost. It seems like having only one car is working out fine.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 1:51 AM
    klpca and DaveNW like this.