• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Desert Springs Villa I Gifted (major noob)

AKC3333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Springs Villas I
So long story short, I was gifted a DSV I (white) 2 bd timeshare from a relative. At first I thought this was an insane gift, but then I posted on tripadvisor and found out it's not a great gift at all. A message told me to visit tug2/tugbbs, so I joined. I saw on ebay of owners selling their weeks for several hundred dollars, while I see my annual fees are close to $1500. So was this really a gift or did my relative dump this on my plate and now I'm stuck with it? I am total newbie to this timeshare business, I mistakenly started my research after I signed up the documents.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
If you enjoy travel, and if you are willing to put in some time to learn the ins and outs of the timeshare game, it can become a very enjoyable gift. That was good advice to join TUG - there's lots of information here and TUGGERs are a helpful and friendly group.

Yes, timeshares don't have much value when sold. The value is in the use if you can learn to make good use of it.

So allow yourself some time to learn. And think about how you like to travel and how you might maximize the benefit of your new timeshare ownership to enhance your vacations. In the end, if it's not for you, DSV1 is a nice resort and you'd hopefully be able to unload it.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
So long story short, I was gifted a DSV I (white) 2 bd timeshare from a relative. At first I thought this was an insane gift, but then I posted on tripadvisor and found out it's not a great gift at all. A message told me to visit tug2/tugbbs, so I joined. I saw on ebay of owners selling their weeks for several hundred dollars, while I see my annual fees are close to $1500. So was this really a gift or did my relative dump this on my plate and now I'm stuck with it? I am total newbie to this timeshare business, I mistakenly started my research after I signed up the documents.
AKC3333 - You own a great time at a great resort. The White season contains the entire Fall season and I own the equivalent across town at Marriott's Shadow Ridge. I book Thanksgiving Week every year and that week is a great week to be in the desert. Lots of things to do and the weather is usually fantastic. It also trades very well on Interval International.

Given that you paid nothing for the ownership, your maintenance fees are really what you would pay for a 4 or 5 star 2 bedroom suite for 7 nights. Hard to find that in Palm Desert for a little more than $200 a night.

Use TUG. Learn how to maximize your vacation and enjoy what you have. If you get tired of it over time, you can pretty easily give it away. Marriott's are one of the few timeshares that have *some* value and they are easy to give away for free.

aandmrun

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have owned the exact unit and season that you where gifted for more than 24 years and we love it! Yes, you will need to keep up the maintenance fees and pay between $1500-1600 every December, but it is well worth it. We usually invite friends or relatives because these are lock-off units and the second bedroom is fully functional as it's own unit and allows for privacy. The resort is always in top form. The units are continually remodeled. If you join a trading company (II), you will be paying a bit more per year, but it will allow you to trade for other locations as well as to separate the lock-off 2nd bedroom and vacation 2 weeks at 2 separate locations if you wish. It will only be worth it to you if you really learn how to use it and plan your vacations at least 8 months to a year in advance. Good luck to you and Enjoy!!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We love DSV I and paid a significant amount for 2 weeks during Red season. We love the fall season and love to go there between Oct to mid-Dec which is where your season will fall under. We also enjoy Jan/Feb where our Red season weeks fall under. Our neighbors and their family and my husband and I usually book the week of Thanksgiving until mid-Dec in the Rancho Mirage/Palm Desert area Vistana/Marriott timeshare resorts. If you can afford to pay the maintenance fees and property taxes, which the latter are billed separately by the Riverside county, you will enjoy the resort very much. DSV 1 is our favorite resort in the entire Palm Springs area.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
There was obviously a reason (or reasons) you agreed to accept it, even knowing little about it. Tell us about that, your thoughts about it and what you thought you could do or like to do.

Like, jpc763 I own at Shadow Ridge and have traded for great vacations during prime time in Tahoe, Park City, Newport Coast (CA), Maui, Ko Olina (Oahu), and others. Read all the Marriott stickies, and learn how you can lock off giving you 2 weeks, and trade through II. You can end up with 2 weeks in a 1BR and 2BR for about $140/night. Or 2 weeks in a 2BR for about $155 a night.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if you really do not like it, you can call Marriott resales to resell it (866.6824547) or they will take it off your hands and pay something.

Used to have same week before I sold it back to Marriott and it trades great.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Welcome to tug and the world of timesharing. Seems from previous posts you have a nice place and time.

Unlike tuggers most owners believe their weeks have more value then they do. No need to think a relative dumped this on you, think of it as a great gift.

You paid nothing, if you love it you’ll have years of enjoyment. If it ends up not being for you, you can gift it to someone you know or offer it to another tugger. Either way, you have come to the right place to figure out how to use it best.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that this is a very nice gift. I think if at some point you decide you don't want it, it should be easy to get rid of. Even if you wouldn't receive a large amount of money for it, I doubt you'd be stuck with it. The fall is a great time to go to the Palm Springs area, and Marriott weeks are sought after for their trading preference in II with other Marriott weeks. If you chose to post it for free in the bargain deals section I'm pretty confident you could find someone to take it off your hands in <24 hours, so I think getting stuck with it is unlikely.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Like others I would encourage you to learn more about how to use your unit and get the most out of it. We own there in the Red high season but have stayed there in the fall (white) season and love it then too.

The resort is beautiful and has been maintained very well. Definitely check it out for yourself and see if it, as well as trading through Interval International, can work for you. If it doesn’t you should be able to give it away.

Best regards.

Mike

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
It will cost you ~$1,600/year, but used wisely, you will get vacations worth far more.

Hang around here and learn how we utilize our ownership interests to maximize value.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Start by reading all of the stickies in the Marriott board; that will teach you more about the system and how to use the week.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I own two Marriott Palm Desert white weeks. For me, it is the best time of the year to go there.

Some things that I do to get the best value out of my timeshares:
1. I "split" the units so I get two weeks of vacationing for one maintenance fee (each).
2. I typically deposit the efficiency and using Interval's upgrade feature I consistently trade into a one or two bedroom unit. I have a platinum Interval membership so I only pay $59 to upgrade from an efficiency to a one bedroom. I also sometimes deposit the 1 BR for more challenging trades. I also will reserve an efficiency in one of the Palm Desert Marriotts and then trade into a larger unit at one of the same Marriotts in Palm Desert. This costs me around $250 to 300 but it also gives me a big 2 BR unit.
3. I put in formal requests when I trade and use the shotgun approach: one some of my requests I have put down a dozen different locations/timeshares and months of requested dates. This stacks the desk in my favor As a result, I have had some good exchanges into areas that are considered difficult to trade in to.
4. If you request another Marriott you will have a 22 day preference period. I think that is HUGE in improving my chances of exchanging into another Marriott.
5. I have been reserving Thanksgiving weeks and using them to exchange. Thanksgiving week has the best trading power (125) of the white weeks.
6. I also regularly do manual searches. For instance, in September, I saw a 2 BR Marriott in Newport Coast show up for next Sept. and saw that I could use my Palm desert efficiency to exchange. I paid $118 upgrade fee but if I was renting the unit directly, I would have to pay around $2500. So I thought that I got tremendous value out of that exchange.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Sounds like a fantastic gift to me. Like others have said, read TUG and learn how to use it and maximize your use. You can easily get 2 weeks use out of it. It will open up worlds of travel to you.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah...the gift time share. That is how I first started! My MIL gifted us a week in Daytona area of FL over 10 years ago. We have never stayed there, instead I opted to learn the II system with it and have exchanged into much nicer places each and every year.

Here are a few questions for you:
1. Do you see yourself using the week at Desert Springs?
2. Do you see yourself taking annual vacations anywhere else?
3. Can you afford the annual fee?
4. Can you afford annual vacations (flights, activities, etc)

If the answer to all of the above is No...then you may want to give it up and call Marriott.
If the answer is yes to them all...then stick around and ask all your questions and get ready for some wonderful vacations.

Timesharing is a game, there are rules and tricks to play. Learn them all and it will be awesome. Don't take the time to learn them....then you will just be stuck with a bill every year.

Also, to answer your question about your relative dumping it on you. In my case...I don't think my inlaws even knew the week was worth a $1 on the open market. I believe they still thought it was worth the same thousands they paid the developer for it. Your relative probably the same.

AKC3333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Springs Villas I
Wow, thank you everyone for the responses. This forum group is great. I read each and every message on this thread and got some good information.

So, to be a little more specific about myself, I live in LA and have my whole life. Since as far as I can remember, I have gone to the desert with my family and friends countless amounts of time and I still go now probably 2-3x a year (its only 90 mins away). I have also stayed at JW Marriott many times, even before Jesse Spano's father got married there (hopefully one person here got that lol). I am in my early 30's and recently got married. My wife and I want to travel out of US (China, Australia, Europe, etc), we do not care so much for the DSV unit. Our Palm Springs trip usually consist of hotel rooms or renting a big house with friends and family. What got my interest in all this was the Interval International/trading part of it. So far, here is the research I have done....

1st, I call MVC one calendar year of the date I want to book. I was also told Thanksgiving is the best week, but I don't want to risk waiting for that week and not be able to secure the booking. So for my first try I'll opt for the 2nd/3rd most favorable time in the white season.
2nd, I pay $80 for lock off (this gives me 2 weeks instead of 1)
3rd, I pay $89 for II membership and deposit my weeks into II
4th, I have (2) 1 week trips to a destination of choice (or so I hope) available on II
............and that's basically all I know for now.

Now I have heard all that jazz about nothing available, you have to real flexible, you won't get what you want, etc...What can we do, as beginners, to trade into someplace good? Like for example, we really want to go to Tokyo, Japan, but if we can't get it we are open to other places as well. Whats the II gold and platinum? Is that worth it? What is trading power and how do you get the most of it? I guess I don't and won't really know until I have 1 or 2 runs with all this to get a real hands on experience.

Thank you again for all your help.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting married. Yes, right now you are fine with a hotel room or sharing a house with friends. But the older you get you'll appreciate your own SPACE. Before kids, my wife traveled with her job and we flew for free and stayed free (with upgrades) wherever we went (I married for miles and points... she got a house with a washer and dryer). On our "free" honeymoon (in my early 30's) in Hawaii, we went on a Marriott timeshare presentation and it was such a soft sale, we walked out and said we "would" buy a Marriott timeshare one day (sadly, I don't think they are a soft sale anymore). We bought one a few years later after our first kid and she stopped working. The timeshare space has spoiled us. You will appreciate come to appreciate the "less hassle" factor of having a kitchen. Even if you are the kind who doesn't want to cook-- simply going to the grocery store and having food for breakfast and snacks removes so much vacation hassle. I'm saying all of this because those things will become more important to you in a few years.

With our kids we have traded to Scotland and France. Word of warning though, our Scotland timeshare was not the american standard. For example, they billed us for the electricity we used. But it was another country and we had an adventure.

Since you are new, it will take time to learn how things work and to learn what to expect. We have gotten every single trade we have wanted-- but we had "reasonable" expectations. We didn't trade a winter season studio and expect a two bedroom summer week at Hilton Head. Yes, those trades are "possible," but not they are not likely. If you are trading a fall week and I'm trading a summer week and we both want Newport Coast-- it's going to me. I'm trying to say remember to temper your trade expectations with what you are giving up.

Lockoffs are great-- but you have to consider how you will use your work vacation time. If you lock out this year and next year, you would in theory have four weeks to take. At one stage of your life, you might want four timeshare weeks. But since you are mobile right now (no kids for example), you may prefer to not lock out and have one week to trade every year (trading a bigger unit increases your chances of trade success) and use the rest of your work vacation time to cruise to Europe, hotel hop between countries in Europe or take four day weekends at Tahoe. The trick is to analyze your needs and use the timeshare to achieve your travel goals.

I'm personally not sure you would benefit with II gold/platinum immediately because you only have one week and you are still learning the tricks of the trade. But yes, you will experience additional costs because you have to join Interval and pay the trade costs.

I totally believe timeshares have been a huge benefit to our lives. The truth is our accommodation costs are the same no matter which spot we pick. The only thing that variable is transportation. We live within driving distance of Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head. Some years, we've done beach vacations with very little costs. Other years, we've gone to Newport Coast, Phoenix, Paris, Fort Lauderdale, etc with flights being the only additional costs. Again, a week of accommodations in France costs me the same as a week in Myrtle Beach! So in that regard, timeshares have made travel to different places easy and much more affordable for four people.

We now have one son in college and one in high school. Our next stage will be going back to flexibility (away from school calendars) and trading for smaller units in the fall when airfare is A LOT cheaper!

Does all of this make sense?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for you - you have the basics down! Once you have done your 4 steps, it is time to start playing with II.

1. Search the directory for your desired locations and resorts within that location. (actually you don't have to be a member to do this, you can go on II's website and see their resorts.
2. It will be a plus if above are Marriotts - because as an owner, you will get first chance at them. But, not required.
3. Once you narrow it down - put in an OGS (on going search) for your "wants" you will need to pick 3.
4. Don't just wait and let it happen - explore II. The getaways are great value. You can easily pick up a bunch of units in the desert off season for family and friends much cheaper than paying for hotels.

Since it doesn't appear that you will "need" 2BR units at this point. I would suggest you lock off and deposit both units. in the end....if you end up with too many that you can use. You can always be a good friend/family member and give one them away to someone.

I would tell you the people that yap about nothing available either have 2 issues.
1. They want to exchange their low/demand so-so resort for a much nicer place.
2. They want to exchange their off season week for a high demand week.
3. They don't set up OGS
4. They don't plan ahead

Your weeks should trade fine - you just need to deal with the planning ahead and OGSs and you should be fine.

All above is my experience in trading in the US or Caribbean - I have no experience in the areas you desire.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
My wife and I want to travel out of US (China, Australia, Europe, etc), we do not care so much for the DSV unit.

Like for example, we really want to go to Tokyo, Japan, but if we can't get it we are open to other places as well.

I don't think you'll be able to make use of your timeshare while in Japan. But there are a number of possibilities for other international trips, especially if you can vacation for several weeks at a time.

Marriott has 2 very nice timeshare properties in southern Spain (Marbella, Playa Andaluza). So perhaps you could combine a trip to Spain with a timeshare stay along the Costa del Sol. This might include Madrid, Seville, Cordoba, Granada, and possibly Barcelona. There would be some flights or drives or trains between locations, however. (We did this a few years ago. We flex LAX to Madrid, stayed for 5 nights in Madrid, then flew to Malaga and rented a car. We had a 1 week timeshare stay at Playa Andaluza and then drove a loop through Seville, Cordoba, and Granada before returning the car in Malaga and flying home.)

There are properties in Phuket, Thailand. Think about a trip to southern Asia along with a timeshare week in Phuket. (We have this coming up. Fly LAX to Bangkok, then Siem Reap, Chiang Mai, a week in Phuket at the Phuket Beach Club, and finally Singapore before returning to the US.)

France has a timeshare property. This thread was just posted:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/trip-to-marriott-s-village-dile-de-france.280999/
The France Disneyland property is not in Paris. So you could either visit Paris first or consider using it as a base and taking the train into the city. And, as that thread points out, it could also be your base for visiting the Loire Valley or other portions of France.

It's also possible to use a timeshare location in the USA as a jumping off point, or a stop on the way home, when taking an international trip. My wife and I sometimes do this. It not only breaks up a very long flight into more comfortable segments, but it also gives us a week to relax after a hectic international trip where we've been very busy running around to visit all the tourist sites. For example, someone who lives in the western US might try to work in a timeshare stay at an east coast property following (or on the way to) Europe. Or how about a timeshare stay in Hawaii worked into a trip to Asia.

AKC3333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Desert Springs Villas I
@Swice - thank you! and Thank you again for all the information, most of it makes sense, some I will need to do some more research on.

@mdurette - Thank you for the info, I will need to see what this OGS is, not sure exactly how that works. My next 'duty' is to learn how II works inside and out.

@GetawaysRus - Thanks for the international traveling advice. I am actually interested in that Thailand trip you're going on. That's another destination my wife and I want to go to, if we can make it work with MVC that would be perfect.

I guess my main job now is to learn II 101 and become familiar with how it all works.

BigMac

Reaction score
@Swice - thank you! and Thank you again for all the information, most of it makes sense, some I will need to do some more research on.

@mdurette - Thank you for the info, I will need to see what this OGS is, not sure exactly how that works. My next 'duty' is to learn how II works inside and out.

@GetawaysRus - Thanks for the international traveling advice. I am actually interested in that Thailand trip you're going on. That's another destination my wife and I want to go to, if we can make it work with MVC that would be perfect.

I guess my main job now is to learn II 101 and become familiar with how it all works.

As you are based in LA, you have many choices flying out of LAX. Hawaii is one obviously and there are several excellent MVC resorts on the islands of Oahu, Kuai, Maui, and the Big Island. Mexico and Costa Rica are other destinations easily reached from LAX. Also Australia with an MVC resort on the Gold Coast. Yes, Thailand is another option. We have been there many times but you have to watch the weather. Best times are December through April. We've never actually traded into Thailand because we found the price of the hotels was significantly cheaper than the implied value of the trade. Phuket Beach Club might be an exception however but it is somewhat remote for us

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
You may want to consider renting out your unit this year to offset your maintenance fee. You would most likely get over $1500 for the week. Learning curve there is not very steep. I mention this because timeshare is all about planning and you may want to take the first year to learn what you can do - renting it out rather than trying to trade it. And II is not involved when renting.

Has the 2018 week been used yet?
Have you reserved your 2019 week?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Some people never wa
Wow, thank you everyone for the responses. This forum group is great. I read each and every message on this thread and got some good information.

So, to be a little more specific about myself, I live in LA and have my whole life. Since as far as I can remember, I have gone to the desert with my family and friends countless amounts of time and I still go now probably 2-3x a year (its only 90 mins away). I have also stayed at JW Marriott many times, even before Jesse Spano's father got married there (hopefully one person here got that lol). I am in my early 30's and recently got married. My wife and I want to travel out of US (China, Australia, Europe, etc), we do not care so much for the DSV unit. Our Palm Springs trip usually consist of hotel rooms or renting a big house with friends and family. What got my interest in all this was the Interval International/trading part of it. So far, here is the research I have done....

1st, I call MVC one calendar year of the date I want to book. I was also told Thanksgiving is the best week, but I don't want to risk waiting for that week and not be able to secure the booking. So for my first try I'll opt for the 2nd/3rd most favorable time in the white season.
4th, I have (2) 1 week trips to a destination of choice (or so I hope) available on II

Now I have heard all that jazz about nothing available, you have to real flexible, you won't get what you want, etc...What can we do, as beginners, to trade into someplace good? Like for example, we really want to go to Tokyo, Japan, but if we can't get it we are open to other places as well. Whats the II gold and platinum? Is that worth it? What is trading power and how do you get the most of it? I guess I don't and won't really know until I have 1 or 2 runs with all this to get a real hands on experience.

Some TS owners I know typically don't want to go back to a place where they've stayed before.
Me? If I enjoy a place, I like to go back.

I live in N. San Diego and have a whole bunch of TS I like to go to every year or two. Each are within driving distance. Since you live in the region, I'll share:
1. Sedona
2. Phoenix
3. SVC Vino Bello (Napa)
4. Newport Coast (every year)
5. Marriott Timberlodge (Tahoe)
6. Hyatt Highlands Inn (Carmel)
7. Harbortown Ventura
8. Tucson, Az.

I have also traded into SVC Kona Coast 2 (three times), Marriott Maui Ocean Club, and Poipu Point (Kauai). I try to reserve Thanksgiving week in Desert Springs to give my white week the most trading power. I have also traded in to Welk Northstar (Tahoe).

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Desert Springs Villas 1 is a beautiful resort. Large,lovely units! I have traded in there twice and LOVED it ! You will also be able to trade into beautiful resorts with this week! Enjoy the many fantastic vacations that will come with this if you keep it :)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

If this is your first timeshare and it's not one you like or plan to use part of the time, I'm not sure it'll be a blessing to you, so you might want to try to get out of it. It is important to learn the system (both Marriott and II) and to plan EARLY, like 12-13 months out minimum. I'm not a big fan of one's first foray into timesharing being a trading option but it is workable if you truly learn the system and are proactive. I'd plan to trade to other Marriott's mostly, you can start that planning now since you can get to II's Directory as a non member. Then you'll either plan to go to places where it seems feasible to trade to or not use the timeshare, most of us do some of both. Trying to do everything at this point just using the timeshare is a recipe for disaster and frustration. Always trying to trade up with a white week there, you'll need to be very flexible. When most people hear flexible, they're thinking 2 or 3 weeks at 1 or 2 resorts but that is not nearly flexible enough for this situation IMO. You're likely looking at shoulder season, smaller weeks and lower rated resorts to some degree. You might want to list 10 different weeks and 5-10 different resorts but of course the easier the trade, the less this applies. The more options you give, the more likely you are to be successful. The other portion that can really add to your value is if you are able and willing to take things on short notice looking at the website daily, usually while you have an ongoing search (OGS) in place. You can always change your list or dates before any match if your situation or availability changes. Good luck.