• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Desert Springs v. Shadow Ridge

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
I thoroughly enjoy DS I, as it allows for free access to the JW Marriott Spa Monday thru Friday. There, they have a private lap pool, poolside eatery, and quiet environment (less kids)... DS I is larger than DS II...

I'm sure you know this, but it may be very hot then, very possibly above 100 degrees. Because it is not during a school break, I think mid-week the pools will be quiet, but the weekends are jammed with families at the Shadow Ridge primary pool. There are adult pools, but they are small (think kidney pool at an apartment). Enclaves pool appears quieter, but I've only walked through it, not spend a day there.

I will be curious to see how other TUGgers talk about the DSVs for an adult trip -- I remember mostly kidney pools at DSV I, but there was a bigger pool at DSV II. There is shaded parking at both properties, so that it is a toss-up (but important when it is over 100 degrees).

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Make sure you request a 2BR DELUXE unit. It is nearly impossible to get this unit through II, as they treat both sides as a one bedroom with full kitchen and one bedroom with limited kitchen. It will be a larger studio with separate balcony - great for an 11 year son... Also, the slide at Shadow Ridge will be well received for that age bracket... Have a great time!!!:wave:

SeaDoc,

Do you know which Room #'s at Shadow Ridge Enclaves are the Deluxe Units versus just the normal Enclaves 2BRs? I've not been able to figure out which ones have the dual 1BR units. Please advise and thanks!

Greg

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
No, don't have a floor plan, but could call room control at shadow ridge...

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also wondered if the deluxe has the folding wall in the master BR. I do not think I would like this and seemed more like a studio with that wall.

I also wonder if there is a way to differentiate between 2 bedroom and a 2 bedroom deluxe. Thanks

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I also wondered if the deluxe has the folding wall in the master BR. I do not think I would like this and seemed more like a studio with that wall.

That's the unit they gave me when I was there. I thought it was quite ridiculous, when compared to the other Marriott resorts (even compared to the other sections at the same resort). Definitely the smallest 1-bed Marriott I've ever seen.

FWIW, since then I've seen the same type of furniture and kitchen table (physically attached glass table to the kitchen island/sink/countertop) at the new units in Las Vegas. It's a good use of space, but definitely not what one expects by visiting other Marriott's. I could easily understand lots of disappointment in regards to unit size.

Sent from my iPad

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the unit they gave me when I was there. I thought it was quite ridiculous, when compared to the other Marriott resorts (even compared to the other sections at the same resort). Definitely the smallest 1-bed Marriott I've ever seen.

Sent from my iPad

We saw this type of unit while on a presentation. I believe this should trade as a studio vs a one bedroom. I am surprised Marriott would try and pass this off as a one bedroom.

Nice and new but configuration would be a deal breaker for me.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
Actually, Marriott treats it as a studio deluxe unit, not a one bedroom. It is II that treats it as a one bedroom limited kitchen. And when one uses points you can select the additional word deluxe to differentiate it from the studio standard which is a small studio, without balcony (and no longer building this unit). Actually, the two bedroom deluxe unit is quite nice - each room has its own balcony, washer-dryer, and full size refrigerator. The units are more balanced in size, which lends well to two couples to live separate lives in a comfortable unit for both...

We saw this type of unit while on a presentation. I believe this should trade as a studio vs a one bedroom. I am surprised Marriott would try and pass this off as a one bedroom.

Nice and new but configuration would be a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Actually, Marriott treats it as a studio deluxe unit, not a one bedroom. It is II that treats it as a one bedroom limited kitchen. And when one uses points you can select the additional word deluxe to differentiate it from the studio standard which is a small studio, without balcony (and no longer building this unit). Actually, the two bedroom deluxe unit is quite nice - each room has its own balcony, washer-dryer, and full size refrigerator. The units are more balanced in size, which lends well to two couples to live separate lives in a comfortable unit for both...

Sounds like Marriott is learning from Westin, and hopefully improving upon it. Regardless, the "1-bed" I got does relate better to a "studio" designation, and it's a shame II is trying to fool us.

Sent from my iPad

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

I also wonder if there is a way to differentiate between 2 bedroom and a 2 bedroom deluxe. Thanks
AFAIK all enclaves units have the horrible big sliding closet door dividing bedroom from the unit. While we like the enclaves pool and location, we agree it does not feel like a true "separate bedroom." Always felt like we were trading down from the villages.

As for room codes, this is what I found:
ZZAD: 2 Bedroom (DELUXE) Villa, Bedroom 1: 1 King, Bedroom 2: 1 King
TOVI: 2 Bedroom Villa, Bedroom 1: 1 King, Bedroom 2: 2 Queen
ZZAB: 2 Bedroom Villa, Bedroom 1: 1 King, Bedroom 2: 1 King

OVTM: 1 Bedroom Villa, 1 King, Sofa bed, Balcony
IVMT: 1 Bedroom Villa, 1 King, Sofa bed, Balcony
OVTG: 1 Bedroom Smaller Villa, 1 King, Sofa bed, Balcony

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which of the Palm Springs properties is:

A. Newest/most modern?

B. Best for Families activity-wise

Does anybody have a sample activities schedule from any of the Palm Springs locations?

I am thinking of going end of August (w/2 kids under 7).

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
For that age bracket (7ish) would go with Shadow Ridge

The Shadow Ridge Enclave units (2 Bedroom Deluxe) would be the most modern and newest. However, the Shadow Ridge Villages are slightly larger and closer proximity to the slide and kid's area... Enjoy...:clap:

Which of the Palm Springs properties is:

A. Newest/most modern?

B. Best for Families activity-wise

Does anybody have a sample activities schedule from any of the Palm Springs locations?

I am thinking of going end of August (w/2 kids under 7).

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between Shadow Ridge I - Villages and Shadow Ridge II Enclaves?

I assume these are both on the same general grounds....

Which would you recommend with a family with 2 young kids ages 4 & 6 and why?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
What is the difference between Shadow Ridge I - Villages and Shadow Ridge II Enclaves?

I assume these are both on the same general grounds....

Which would you recommend with a family with 2 young kids ages 4 & 6 and why?
SEADOC described it pretty well above, as did other posts in this thread.
Hard to say with little kids. If they are not good swimmers, enclaves pool will be better, but all pools are available either side.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you

I assume, from looking to the map, that the Villages and Enclaves are within the same very large complex but that the main activity is closer to the Villages buildings.....

Are the on-site dining options open for breakfast, lunch and dinner or are they just pool snack bars open during the daytime?

dneveu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor, Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Grand Chateau
We have stayed at Desert Springs I and II and Shadow Ridge a number of times. We have never stayed in the Enclaves units at Shadow Ridge.

At Desert Springs I and II there is no dedicated sit down restaurant on property. There is a pool bar and grill in Villa's II at The Palmeras Pool. They also have a shuttle bus service which takes folks over to the JW hotel where there are restaurants.

At Shadow Ridge there is a sit down restaurant located in the Club house building where the golf shop is also located. I think it is called "The Grill at Shadow Ridge". We have never eaten there so I can't speak to the food or hours of operations. There are also 2 different pool bar & grills. One is in the Villages complex (called Chuckwalla Pool Bar & Grill) and one is in the Enclaves complex called Snake Bites Pool bar and Grill.

All resorts have a small marketplace. At Shadow Ridge the marketplace includes a gourmet coffee counter. There is no coffee at Villas I and II however the JW hotel next door had a Starbucks cart in the lobby last time we were there.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
At Shadow Ridge there is a sit down restaurant located in the Club house building where the golf shop is also located. I think it is called "The Grill at Shadow Ridge". We have never eaten there so I can't speak to the food or hours of operations.

It's very blah.

Sent from my iPad

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's very blah.

Sent from my iPad

We ate at the restaurant two or three times. It is pretty decent priced for a family and the food was not bad. But they had not cleaned many of the tables outside. A lot of them were very dusty.

Foggy1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Over the years the food varies from OK to ??. Service is the same. Serves Lunch/Dinner. No breakfast. Prices are OK. Many places to eat within a couple of miles.