TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Deneen et al v. Wyndham Vacation Resorts, Inc.; August 14, 2019 [Merged]

Discussion in 'Wyndham Vacation Resorts' started by IsaiahB, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Grammarhero

Grammarhero Official TUGBBS Rescission Master TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham, EY 434k pts
    Williamsburg Plant, EY 4L/4
    DRI South Bend, EY 1/1

Been to:
    Intl: Aruba, Aus, Bah, China, Jpn, HK, Macau, Mex
    US: AZ, CA, DC, DE, IL, IN, KY, MD, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WV
    In class action lawsuits, there has to be a class rep that represents your situation. That’s why you see the words “similarly situated.” None of the class reps so far are resale buyers.

These are my opinions gleamed from years of legal experience. Call one of the Plaintiffs lawyers and ask if resale purchases are included or if they are willing to represent resale buyers.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  2. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    No thank you. I only posted this because it is interesting to me. Your posts on this topic are very interesting too.

Bill

3. Grammarhero

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham, EY 434k pts
    DRI South Bend, EY 1/1

Been to:
    US: AZ, CA, DC, DE, IL, IN, KY, MD, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WV
    Deleted

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. HitchHiker71

HitchHiker71 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Outer Banks Beach Club I
    Colonies at Williamsburg
    WCA VIP Gold (718k EY)
    National Harbor Resale (689k)
    Successor in this case is using the legal definition of a corporate successor, and therefore your interpretation of the word is not correct with respect to resale contracts. A corporate successor is a corporation that takes on the burdens of a previous corporation through merger, acquisition, or other means of succession. Successor liability is an important issue in areas such as product liability, environmental concerns, and labor and employment law. In this instance it is specific to product liability. The term successor here is protecting the class action from any changes to Wyndham's corporate structure - in an attempt to avoid product liability/culpability by changing their structure. It has nothing to do with resale contracts, sorry to say.

ecwinch, Grammarhero and easyrider like this.
  5. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham PresRes, Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (4), some others.

You're trying hard but missing the mark. If you bought resale, you have entered into no security agreement with Wyndham. Wyndham doesn't need security on a resale contract. Prove me wrong and show me a copy of a security agreement with Wyndham (or any other timeshare company or any company at all!) that you signed as part of a resale.

Maybe it would be better to think of auto sales. You buy a vehicle from a dealer and you sign a security agreement with the dealer (or the parent corporation or a finance company). You agree to make payments as specified and the dealer (or parent corporation or finance company) retains a security interest in your vehicle -- he has the right to repossess if you don't make the payments. If you sell that car to a private party, your buyer has nothing to do with the dealer. The dealer has no skin in the game and has no need for a security agreement.

A successor to Wyndham would be a corporation -- the result of a sale, name change, reorganization, etc. A resale purchaser of a Wyndham contract would not be a successor to Wyndham, he would be the successor to the previous owner of the contract.

6. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    How is that a problem? The resale buyer didn't pay for the status or privilege and didn't get what he didn't pay for. Sounds perfect to me!

Grammarhero and Braindead like this.
  7. Jenny Ellis

Jenny Ellis Guest

I don't care about the money. I just to cancel my contract. Some crazy attorney wanted $5000 upfront to join a multi-party lawsuit. I'd rather be in a class action that doesn't cost me a dime.

Grammarhero likes this.
  8. dgalati

dgalati TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Desert
    National Harbor
    You are correct Jim resale buyers didn't pay to achieve the level of privilege and status by paying developer price. I have traveled for less then a VIP without paying for the VIP status and so called privilege. Just make it work how ever you can.

easyrider likes this.
  9. easyrider

Resorts Owned:
    It is called Worldmark by Wyndham but Worldmark is not owned by Wyndham. Wyndham is only the hired developer for Worldmark.

I originally thought that the term "successor" would mean successor, not "corporate" successor or "successor - in - interest" although the "successor - in - interest" would be a person obtaining the timeshare in the same manner as a resale buyer. If the suit actually read corporate successor or successor in interest it would be vary clear who is in mind to be included in this class.

Bill

HitchHiker71 and Abrams Firm like this.
  10. CO skier

CO skier TUG Member

You are very confused. Wyndham purchased and owns the rights as Developer for WorldMark.

Wyndham is "hired" only as the WorldMark program manager.

11. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    So, you are saying you CAN have the status and privilege without paying for it!

12. dgalati

dgalati TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Desert
    National Harbor
    Yes this is possible if you consider that some VIP owners let their family travel for free. I do have a VIP Uncle remember and I did give him a resale deed to use with his VIP status.

13. Braindead

Braindead TUG Member

[Post removed by Moderator - everyone play nice]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2019
    dgalati likes this.
  14. OldGuy

OldGuy Guest

Resorts Owned:
    some
    Just going awry here . . . we had a recent, very-short discussion, about how resale owners could be bound by the obligations of timeshare contracts they were never a party to, and upon reading those that I have saved on my laptop, the verbiage in standard TS deeds does that.

So, by a stretch, if part of the complaint is that Wyndham does not fulfill their obligations, in addition to the deceptive sales complaint, all owners could be included.

Granted, it will just be a blip on the radar, but, c'mon folks, we've had this discussion before, and it's hard to find a retail timeshare sales operation that is not unethical. It is just a matter of the level of sleaze. Part of the new Arizona timeshare legislation, a part that ARDA prevailed on, was a cooling-off period, so buyers could sleep on it overnight, before closing the next day.

15. HitchHiker71

HitchHiker71 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Outer Banks Beach Club I
    Colonies at Williamsburg
    WCA VIP Gold (718k EY)
    Remember that what you're referring to is a legal document, therefore it's written and must be interpreted using legal language and terms. Legal documents use different language/terms that require the ability to interpret certain words using their legal definitions, not lamen's terms, hence the fact that its a legal document. :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    easyrider, Grammarhero and dgalati like this.
  16. Grammarhero

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham, EY 434k pts
    DRI South Bend, EY 1/1

Been to:
    @HitchHiker71 are you a lawyer? You appear to have a legal background.

HitchHiker71 likes this.
  17. HitchHiker71

HitchHiker71 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Outer Banks Beach Club I
    Colonies at Williamsburg
    WCA VIP Gold (718k EY)
    Nope. But I'm formally trained in legal contract drafting and review as part of my job. It also helps that I worked for one of the largest law firms in the world for 15 years, in an IT capacity - the last half of which was at the level where I dealt with vendor contracts, reviews, etc., on an almost daily basis at times - so I was trained by the best so to speak - meaning the people who I learned from were some of the best attorneys in their respective fields. You quickly learn how to properly interpret legal documents when performing contract reviews and making edits/alterations on a frequent basis.

SueDonJ, dgalati and ecwinch like this.
  18. OldGuy

OldGuy Guest

Resorts Owned:
    some
    Prior to my career as a sleazy direct salesman, I prepared to be a lawyer, with lots of law as an undergraduate.

Does that overqualify me in law?

:ponder:

Grammarhero and HitchHiker71 like this.
  19. easyrider

Resorts Owned:
    Are you trying to say that Wyndham owns Worldmark because they paid to be the developer for Worldmark ? Worldmark is its own corporation owned by its members and operated by its membership board is how I remember the story.

Bill

20. HitchHiker71

HitchHiker71 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Outer Banks Beach Club I
    Colonies at Williamsburg
    WCA VIP Gold (718k EY)
    The good news is that there are several online legal dictionaries where you can quickly check on the legal definition of any particular word. Here's a link for "successor" for instance:

https://definitions.uslegal.com/s/successor/

Gotta love the internet - pretty much anything we want to know about is only a few clicks away. :)

Grammarhero likes this.
  21. easyrider

Resorts Owned:
    I wrote up thousands of contracts and have been disposed to review other contracts involved in conflicts. Usually, if a word has more than one meaning, that meaning has to be clarified and can't be subjective. Usually the meaning of a noun is the legal definition of the noun. If there isn't an adjective use to describe the noun the simple definition applies.

There is no adjective used to describe the noun successor in this lawsuit.

Bill

HitchHiker71 likes this.
  22. HitchHiker71

HitchHiker71 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Outer Banks Beach Club I
    Colonies at Williamsburg
    WCA VIP Gold (718k EY)
    Yes, but your error is in interpreting Wyndham - which is not singular - as a singular successor. Wyndham is a corporation - hence it's a corporate successor.

easyrider likes this.
  23. OldGuy

OldGuy Guest

Resorts Owned:
    some
    When DW asks me a question, I normally say, "You've got the answer in your hand."

24. easyrider

Resorts Owned:
    The sentence reads Wyndham or its successors. "Or" is used as a conjunctive adverb meaning both Wyndham and successors are different entities. Wyndham is singular and successors is plural.

The word " and" instead of "or" could mean corporate successors but they used "or" meaning at least two groups, Wyndham or its successors.

In a contract "or" describes this or that. In a contract "and" describes both this and that.

Bill

HitchHiker71 likes this.
  25. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    The issue is not one of sleaze so let's stop the nonsense (or, as you call it, going awry -- by a stretch).

The issue is whether the plaintiffs in this case were deceived (whatever) by Wyndham sales people with whom they had contact and from whom they purchased some interest in timeshares. The issue NOT to be decided is whether people who had no contact with and never bought anything from Wyndham can assert that they were deceived (whatever) by Wyndham. The question is too bizarre to even consider.

Braindead likes this.