• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Deeding Back Timeshares

Kurt Brown

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't walk in my shoes

Kurt,

I don't think that in your case you have had such a life change that you can not afford the timeshare. I believe that in your case you have simply decided the product no longer works for you. I view this as your responsibility to sell this week. Have you ever visited this resort? If so many owners do enjoy time at the resort and might be happy to take a week from you for free.

Dear Cancun Dish,

I am happy that you are apparently living a life with much good fortune. I hope that it continues and that you do not suffer life changing problems - health, family, or financial.

I try to act as an advocate for those who need help. And, I post under my own name. I have nothing to hide.

You are entitled to your opinion on timeshare issues. However, you do not walk in my shoes and you have no right to decide what I can and cannot afford. Nor do you have the right to judge whether changes in my life are significant or not.

Kurt

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's see if I understand this. I own a Week at XYZ Resort in ABC, Florida. I'm happy with my ownership, use it every year and pay my MFs on time. For whatever reason all the rest of the owners have personal issues and deed their Weeks back to the HOA. The Weeks are currently bding offered on Ebay for between $1 and $100 with few takers.

In short, I now own the only week paying MFs and the HOA owns all the rest which are essentially unsalable. There is no income for the Resort other than my MF since the HOA has let everyone elso off the hook. Next year I get billed $1.5 million for my Week to cover expenses.

Thanks Kurt!!

GEORGE

As the sole owner and member of the HOA you now are responsible for 100% of the TS, you decide the 1.5 million MF just doesn't make sense anymore and you sell the place off. Unfortunately, after all the fees involved you are only able to clear 1.1 million from the sale. Too bad for you.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
John,

I just don't buy this argument - which is not new!

First, like any organization, tasks can be "farmed out" to outside organizations, when the management/board does not consider itself to be expert in a task.

Second, it is (and was) totally foreseeable that as owners get older and as life situations change, that intervals will have to be sold by someone. In my view, that becomes the responsibility of the resort/board to create a market for such intervals. The resort/board is in the best position to do so. A board running a multi-million dollar operation cannot simply say to the owners - the developers have run away, we have no idea how to run and maintain the resort, poor us. Most resorts are under the auspices of a management company, anyway - hired by the board; paid by the owners.

If there is no other option, wind up the corporation, like any other business that no longer can be managed due to changing circumstances and changing economic factors.

Again, leaving the owners who encounter life-changing situations with two unconscionable choices - to pay even when they cannot afford or use the intervals, or face foreclosure, is not satisfactory. And, the board and other owners are gladly accepting this blood money.

Can you truly enjoy your vacation knowing that you are significantly contributing to the suffering of others?

Kurt

When you go into a contract, just because your life situation changes doesnt mean your obligations change. That goes with everything in life. Did you think that your life would always be the same as it is when you first purchased the timeshare? Why should others be responsible for your life? Try giving back a house or a car to the bank when there isnt much equity. In the case of timeshares the other owners have to obsorb the cost instead of a bank.

Two of my resorts have an agent who will sell timeshares that have either been repo'd or an owner wants to sell thier timeshare. They will often head up rentals, too. They work on commission. Until they find a new owner, the orignal owner is responsible for all mfs, etc.

cancun dish

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kurt,

I agree that in a perfect world there is a method to exit ownership. Most resorts at least have a person in-house who handles resales. I was just at Calini Beach Club and they at least had a price list available. I have been at other resorts that did not even have that. You/We can influence that by being active and understanding what is happening with the management of the resort and to ensure that reserves are being maintained to prevent special assessments. We can also encourage our boards to at least maintain a relationship with a person/company to provide sales and to provide space to offer giveaways/for sales etc.

If I remember your original post on this subject you were angry because a resort that had an upcoming special assessment of $2500 would not take your deed back. I don't believe and will not advocate that any board of directors should take on additional liabilities unless the governing documents call for this. If you were willing to pay the special assessment and next years dues that would seem reasonable as the HOA would have a year to attempt to market and would not burden the other owners with the special assessment.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ANYONE TRYING TO GET RID OF THEIR TIMESHARE

Tug has setup a place in their BBS classifieds ads for people to advertise TS for sale under $25. Link here

This may be a great place to just get rid of your TS and give other TUG members a chance to grab a real bargain.

Please note this is the "beta BBS classified ads", not the regular TUG classified ads

that said...if you really want to get rid of your timeshare for $1 you may also place it in the existing classified ad section at no charge.

ONLY timeshares for $1 no other fees...no hidden charges etc...ie those of you who just want out.

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are entitled to your opinion on timeshare issues. However, you do not walk in my shoes and you have no right to decide what I can and cannot afford. Nor do you have the right to judge whether changes in my life are significant or not.

Kurt

Agree. And yet, you are trying to say all HOA should walk in the same shoes. And you are trying to sell the same idea to all HOA does not matter if they can or can not afford?

Let each HOA decides. I believe when the resort sold out, the owner will take over, and they have to determine what they can and can not do.

If you own an unit in resort operates by owner, and you don't care to select a able man to run the HOA that care so it will take back the deed, that is something wrong in your part.

If you own an unit at resort operates by developer, than I may think your arguements has some ground. Than again, each one has his/her shoes to deal.

Jya-Ning

Last edited:

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
As the sole owner and member of the HOA

The 1st assumption is the HOA is controlled by owner. Not by developer or management company.

Assume that is true, then it is upto the only owner decide what to do, how to operates and make the budget. So it may not be 1.5 M operation cost. There may have some legal cost though.

Since HOA is the one that hold all these property, too bad for HOA. Even if it has to sell and the resort owes 1.5 M, HOA will be the one declare bankrupcy. If it is US resort, as pure owner - IMHO, I believe he does not have personal liability. He will just be another person in-line of bankrupcy returns.

Jya-Ning

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
We know what end result we ALL want - now how to get there.

Kurt seems to have the idealistic approach to this. He's pointed out 'the problem'.

John points out the realities of how the real world works. He's pointed out why the 'simple answer' (getting the resorts to take back any and all deeds) won't work - especially for the other owners.

Remember the 'disposable diaper problem'? Until enough people got 'concerned' about all the disposable diapers going into the landfill and clogging up the place with the plastics that would not disintegrate (at least not fast enough), no one seemed to be doing anything. Once 'everyone' starting talking about it (positively or negatively) someone started doing something and we end up with a highly recyclable disposable diaper.

Let's remember that a credit rating is a report card of how you handle your finances. A good credit rating is important - but not at all phases of life. Having a good credit rating is critical when you're young (just out of college and through your 40's and 50's - maybe 60's) but somewhere along the line you're going to stop needing to buy stuff on credit. So older couples who are facing health problems and just want to get rid of their timeshare should NOT be worrying about what happens to their credit rating. And even if you do have to be concerned about your credit rating - it can be fixed over time.

So protecting your credit rating is not life and death. People have credit rating problems because of other things - not just timeshares.

In MOST cases, people who are desperate to get rid of a timeshare are desperate in other areas of their lives too. People get into all kinds of trouble without really meaning too (and not only with timeshares). Those who are truly in trouble (medical problems being the biggest one that really throws people) will not end up with stellar credit even if they can get rid of the timeshare without putting a blimp on their rating. Medical bills will put them over the edge.

It is NOT the resort (or the landlord, or the bank) who 'ruins' someone's credit (at least in most cases but mistakes happen). It's the financial circumstances and how they are handled by the person who's involved. Bad things happen to people. Some people have the back-up means to carry them through when that happens. Others don't.

The members of the resort's Board of Directors have a FIDUCIARY RESPONSIBILITY to look out for the majority of the owners. If they take back deeds with no plan on how to to get them - quickly - into others' hands who will pay the m/fs - that's not responsible. It's reckless. Management was hired to manage the resort. Not for selling timeshares (would you want a timeshare sales person running YOUR resort?). It's great if they can help but their real job is managing the resort.

I'd like to think that EVERY resort out there could at least allow owners to list their unit on some sort of bulletin board (website, book by the front desk, etc.) for other owners to see so that the other owners are aware that they are available. Some resorts do this already (at either no cost or low cost). The resort should always take the opportunities it has to 'market' these units. Those opportunities would be newsletters, legal notices, etc. that the resort sends out. If nothing else, it could be one line that reminds owners to look at the list. If the resort would take it one step further, they can mention the list to those who exchange in and other guests (renters) they have on site. Of course, the owners who are 'desperate' to get rid of their units should offer them at zero cost. Those who would hold out for any money as a purchase price, aren't desperate to get rid of future costs.

It would be nice too, if the resorts would also be 'helpful' in the transfer of title by making it easy to do. Some resorts will do the paperwork for the transaction for a small fee (this way the resort is assured that it's done properly). But, if they don't want to get that involved, at least refer to someone who will handle things without reinventing the wheel each time (someone who will 'cookie cutter' the process for any owner thus reducing costs).

Some resorts do a great job in helping owners who want and ask for help. Others don't think it is their job. The real 'trick' here is to convince the resort management that it IS in the resorts' best interest to help desperate owners as they come up rather than close their eyes until it becomes truly burdensome to EVERYONE (because there are so many).

Next time any of us are at a resort we own at, we should ask what their policy is regarding helping owners who no longer want to own there. If they have no policy, suggest one that is easy to maintain (such as the notebook I mentioned above). If the resort is actively in sales, these 'used' units could be very profitable to the sales staff as perhaps they could get those who say 'too expensive' to buy a 'resale' at a lower price (and since the desperate owner is giving it away they can keep any amount they get). Heck, they could even have one person who 'whispers' this to someone who has just walked out without buying retail.

As always, just my thoughts (grin).

Kurt Brown

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you get it

Let's see if I understand this. I own a Week at XYZ Resort in ABC, Florida. I'm happy with my ownership, use it every year and pay my MFs on time. For whatever reason all the rest of the owners have personal issues and deed their Weeks back to the HOA. The Weeks are currently bding offered on Ebay for between $1 and $100 with few takers.

In short, I now own the only week paying MFs and the HOA owns all the rest which are essentially unsalable. There is no income for the Resort other than my MF since the HOA has let everyone elso off the hook. Next year I get billed $1.5 million for my Week to cover expenses.

Thanks Kurt!!

GEORGE

You get it, George. Congratulations.

Since you don't want to buy other timeshares at your resort on Ebay for $1, you surely don't believe in the "greater fool" theory, where some other idiot will buy them, do you? Of course not!

You realize that the other intervals at your resort are "essentially unsalable". And, you don't want to end up as the "last one out, turn out the lights".

I am sure you would not be one of those with your head in the sand, waiting for the tide to come in.

You would not be an owner at one of those resorts that, believe it or not, gets older every year, requires more and more maintenance, and fees and special assessments keep going up.

And, of course, some TUGgers are EXEMPT from life problems. Exempt from ever getting sick or heaven forbid, dying. Exempt from ever getting into financial difficulties. Exempt from ever getting older or having health problems where it is no longer feasible to go to the resort. Exempt from having responsibility for other family members or children or friends, for whom they need to give financial help.

For those TUGgers, none of these things can ever happen to them, because their resorts are well run and everyone at their resorts pays, and will continue to pay forever. I am sure that at your resort, there is a payment machine attached to every deceased owner's gravesite, so that the resort staff and other owners do not have to be inconvenienced if some owner becomes a deadbeat.

No, George. You will know exactly when to get out. You will make a huge profit on the sale of your timeshares.

Just like I am sure you will know exactly when to sell every stock and mutual fund in your portfolio, to get the maximum profit. And, I am sure that you have sold all of your real estate holdings ahead of the current crisis, yes?

So, you get it, George. And, you are welcome. Glad I could help a little.

Kurt

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If it's that simple, Kurt, why haven't you answered my specific questions to you. Is it that there are no legitimate answers?

cancun dish

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again,

This article and this discussion was started a few months ago when the original poster complained that one of his resorts had been hit with a special assessment. In lieu of paying the special assessment the poster wanted to deed back the unit to the HOA and was upset when he could not do that.

This was not started for the sick and infirm. This thread was started because someone who was wiling and able to pay did not want to pay.

As another poster stated those that have unfortunate terms in their life are probably going to get out via a conversation with a board member. To take a deed back because someone did not want to pay a special assessment is another issue.

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
The members of the resort's Board of Directors have a FIDUCIARY RESPONSIBILITY to look out for the majority of the owners. If they take back deeds with no plan on how to to get them - quickly - into others' hands who will pay the m/fs - that's not responsible. It's reckless. Management was hired to manage the resort. Not for selling timeshares (would you want a timeshare sales person running YOUR resort?). It's great if they can help but their real job is managing the resort.).

I think that it is reasonable in the carrying out of the FIDUCIARY RESPONSIBILITY that the BOD require that the management of the resort have a plan for unwanted timeshares, one that is well thought out, organized, funded and staffed to handle the situation of owners who just want OUT. This plan can involve fees, marketing, rental programs, resale programs and owner assistance that is sensitive to the needs of owners. This plan should include deedbacks in leau of foreclosures for any owner that is current and willing to work with the TS in getting OUT.

Kurt Brown

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try reading the article!

If it's that simple, Kurt, why haven't you answered my specific questions to you. Is it that there are no legitimate answers?

I'LL START BY SUGGESTING THAT YOU READ MY FULL ARTICLE IN TIMESHARING TODAY. I BELIEVE THAT IS A LEGITIMATE ANSWER. THAT IS WHY I WROTE IT.

I'LL TRY TO RESPOND TO YOUR SPECIFIC QUESTIONS. THE ANSWERS I HAVE ALREADY GIVEN, YOU HAVE DISCOUNTED, SO I AM NOT SURE HOW WORTHWHILE THIS WILL BE.

"Having participated on numerous HOA boards of various types over the past 35 years, and having considered this type of issue on numerous occasions, I agree with John. It might well make sense to try to find a third party to refer owners to if they want to sell, but for the HOA (that's all of us as owners) to readily take back every timeshare that individual owners no longer want would seem to be a foolhardy policy.

THE FOLLOWING HAS TO DO WITH FULLY PAID UP TIMESHARES, FOR WHICH THERE IS NOTHING OWING EXCEPT THE NEXT YEAR'S MAINTENANCE FEES.

I HAVE SUGGESTED TO PEOPLE SEEKING MY ADVICE THAT THEY OFFER TO HAVE THEIR OWN ATTORNEYS DRAW UP A QUITCLAIM DEED AND THAT THEY OFFER TO PAY RECORDING FEES, SO THAT THE RESORT AND OTHER OWNERS DO NOT INCUR ANY COSTS IN TAKING BACK TIMESHARES; THAT THE SELLER FIRST CONTACT THE HEAD OF THE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION OR THE LEGAL DEPARTMENT AT THE RESORT, SINCE MOST RESORTS TRAIN THEIR STAFF TO TELL ANYONE WHO ASKS THAT THE POLICY IS NOT TO TAKE THEM BACK.

THESE SUGGESTIONS ARE MADE TO PEOPLE WHO ARE SINCERE IN TRYING TO SOLVE THEIR FINANCIAL AND HEALTH PROBLEMS; WHO WANT TO DO THE RIGHT THING; WHO HONOR THEIR FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS AND WHO ARE TROUBLED BECAUSE THEY CANNOT CONTINUE TO PAY.

THIS PROCESS IS LESS TROUBLESOME AND LESS COSTLY TO THE OWNERS THAN TO HIRE AN ATTORNEY TO FORECLOSE ON THE DEED, WHEN THERE IS LITTLE LIKELIHOOD OF GETTING ANYTHING BACK.

When taking back a timeshare, the first thing that happens is that no one is responsible for the MFs on that timeshare until a new owner is found. For some timeshares that can't even be sold on eBay for $1, that could be forever. That means our MFs go up because someone isn't paying their share on that timeshare.

THAT IS THE PROBLEM. MANY CAN'T EVEN BE SOLD ANY MORE, EVEN FOR $1. THAT IS NOT THE SITUATION THAT EXISTED WHEN YOU AND I FIRST PURCHASED. THAT IS THE NEW REALITY. IF WE KNEW THAT WE COULD NOT EVER GET RID OF THEM, AT ANY PRICE, WE WOULD NEVER HAVE PURCHASED IN THE FIRST PLACE. THE PROBLEMS AT THAT TIME WERE DISHONEST SALES PEOPLE, THEN PROBLEMS WITH GETTING DECENT EXCHANGES WITH ALL OF THE CONFLICTS OF INTEREST AT RCI - MAKING IT POSSIBLE FOR NON-OWNERS TO GET VACATIONS AT A CHEAPER PRICE THAN WE PAY FOR MAINTENANCE FEES/SPECIAL ASSESSMENTS/EXCHANGE FEES/GUEST FEES.

IF THE RESORT DOESN'T DO SOMETHING PRO-ACTIVE, AS I SUGGEST IN MY ARTICLE, THIS WILL HAPPEN WHETHER YOU AND I LIKE IT OR NOT. AND, I AM ONLY TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE WHO ARE SINCERE IN TRYING TO WORK SOMETHING OUT. WE BOTH KNOW THAT THERE ARE MANY WHO WILL SIMPLY IGNORE EVERYTHING AND FORCE A FORECLOSURE ACTION - AT GREAT COST TO THE OWNERSHIP.

I AM A TIMESHARE OWNER ALSO. I WANT TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO GO TO MY RESORTS AND ENJOY MY VACATIONS ALSO. BUT, I ALSO REALIZE THAT IF THINGS ARE NOT DONE, THAT IF THE SITUATION IS IGNORED, THAT THE TIMESHARE RESORT MODEL WILL COLLAPSE.

WHO KNEW THAT RCI WOULD DESTROY THE SYSTEM THROUGH ABSOLUTE GREED, AND MAKE TIMESHARES ESSENTIALLY WORTHLESS?

AND, RESORTS REFUSING TO HELP WITH THE NATURAL REALLOCATION OF THE INTERVALS IS CONTRIBUTING TO THE INCOME OF ALL THOSE SCAM ARTISTS OUT THERE. MANY PEOPLE WHO CONTACT ME HAVE ALREADY LOST MONEY TO THEM. IF THE RESORTS HELPED WITH THIS PROCESS, SOME OF THOSE SCAM ARTISTS WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS.

Also, the costs associated with facilitating such sales by the HOA could be horrendous. How does the HOA pay for the advertising, personnel and closing costs on timeshares that won't sell for more than a few bucks without adding significantly to the net costs of the HOA - meaning even more increased MFs for the rest of us.

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE OUTSIDE SALES ORGANIZATIONS THAT WILL SELL THEM FOR A PERCENTAGE OF THE SALES PRICE, WITH NO NET COST TO THE RESORT. THERE ARE INEXPENSIVE WAYS THAT THE RESORT CAN OFFER INTERVALS TO THEIR MEMBERS - THROUGH WEBSITES; THROUGH FLYERS AT THE FRONT DESK.

"THAT WON'T SELL FOR MORE THAN A FEW BUCKS" - THAT IS AN ATTITUDE THAT IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM ONE YOU SEEM TO BE ESPOUSING. MANY RESORTS WILL SELL THEM "FOR A FEW BUCKS" TO THEIR OWNERS AND TO OTHERS WHO ARE INTERESTED BECAUSE THEY REALIZE THAT PAYING OWNERS, OWNERS WHO PAY MAINTENANCE FEES ARE THE REAL LIFEBLOOD OF THE RESORT - NOT MAKING A BIG PROFIT ON RESALES. LOOK ON THE INTERNET! LOOK AT THE NEW REALITY! OTHER THAN "GREATER FOOLS", WHO IS GOING TO PAY A LOT FOR MOST TIMESHARES??

The developer sells us a product. Then the developer or a third party will maintain the property at a cost - our MFs. Isn't that a lot like many businesses? A car manufacturer sells us a car. Then, at a cost, the car manufacturer or a third party (at our option) will maintain it for us. We don't even think of suggesting that the manufacturer come get it and haul it away if it breaks down or otherwise has no value to us. What's so different about a timeshare that suggests the developer or HOA should take it back?

AS I SAID EARLIER, AND AS YOU IGNORED, I SAID WHEN A CAR IS PAID OFF, ONE CAN GET RID OF IT. I AM TALKING ABOUT PAID OFF TIMESHARES.

AS TO TIMESHARES WHEN THERE IS STILL A SIGNIFICANT BALANCE OWING. WHEN A BUYER PURCHASES A TIMESHARE FROM A DEVELOPER, THEY USUALLY SIGN A STATEMENT THAT AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE, THAT THEY HAVE NO SIGNIFICANT FINANCIAL PROBLEMS THAT WILL KEEP THEM FROM MAKING PURCHASE PAYMENTS. YES, SOME PEOPLE GET INTO FINANCIAL PROBLEMS WHILE THEY ARE STILL PAYING ON THE PURCHASE. JUST LIKE THEY DO WITH HOSPITAL BILLS AND CREDIT CARDS. SOME ARE DEADBEATS WHO SIMPLY DECIDE THEY DON'T WANT TO PAY ANY MORE. SOME ARE SIMPLY IN OVER THEIR HEADS. I DON'T HAVE A ONE SIZE FITS ALL ANSWER.

MY TYPICAL SUGGESTIONS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING. CONTACT AN ATTORNEY OF YOUR CHOICE. UNDER ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGE, GIVE A TRUTHFUL ACCOUNTING TO YOUR ATTORNEY OF YOUR HEALTH/FINANCIAL PROBLEMS. HAVE YOUR ATTORNEY CONTACT THE HEAD OF THE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION OR THE LEGAL DEPARTMENT. PERHAPS THEY CAN WORK OUT A PAYMENT PLAN OR A RESOLUTION WITHOUT GOING THROUGH A FORECLOSURE, THAT IS IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF BOTH THE PURCHASER AND THE RESORT.

ANOTHER SUGGESTION IS TO CONTACT THE HEAD OF THE SALES DEPARTMENT OR THEIR SALES PERSON AND OFFER TO PAY A SMALL COMMISSION OF THE SALES DEPARTMENT WILL RESELL. THEY WOULD BE GIVING UP ALL EQUITY, INCLUDING DOWN PAYMENT AND PAYMENTS MADE. THEIR "USED" TIMESHARE WOULD BE CHEAPER TO A NEW BUYER THAN WOULD A "NEW" ONE. SO, THE PROCESS WOULD MAKE SENSE FOR CLOSING BUYERS WHO BALK AT THE INITIAL PRICE. REMEMBER, PEOPLE WHO OWN MONEY ON THEIR ORIGINAL PURCHASE ALMOST ALWAYS OWN AT A RESORT STILL IN A SALES MODE.

A THIRD OPTION IS TO FIND A FRIEND, FAMILY MEMBER, CO-WORKER WHO WILL HELP WITH PAYMENTS IN EXCHANGE FOR HAVING THEIR NAMES ON THE DEED AND SHARING IN THE USAGE. THE NEW PERSON PROBABLY PAYING A LOT LESS THAN THE OWNER DID PAY ALREADY. OBVIOUS? I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME THAT THEY NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT. YES, THERE CAN BE PROBLEMS WHEN SUCH A PARTNERSHIP IS FORMED. BUT, IT IS AN OPTION FOR SOMEONE WHO IS DESPERATE.

I'll concede that there are some high-end timeshares, especially those with year-round high seasons, where the HOA would make a nice profit by accepting unwanted timeshares. But there are very few of those resorts.

AGAIN, SELLING AT ANY PRICE BRINGS IN A MAINTENANCE FEE PAYING NEW OWNER. AND, THE QUICKER THE SALE, THE LESS DRAIN ON THE RESORT BUDGET. SO GET OUT OF THE THOUGHT PROCESS THAT THE RESORT HAS TO MAKE SOME SORT OF BIG PROFIT ON THE RESALE AND TAKE ON A DEVELOPER STYLE SALES TEAM.

As a further example, suppose I own a timeshare at a Florida resort that is partially destroyed by a hurricane. The insurance limitations result in a special assessment of $5,000 per timeshare, more than the average resale value of any of the off-season timeshares at that resort. So, because the resort has adopted the policy that some of you espouse, about half of the owners (most of the off-season owners) deed their timeshares to the HOA. That leaves all of the remaining owners with double the proposed special assessment and double the normal annual MFs! Then the deed-backs accelerate until the BOD finally votes to stop accepting deed-backs. Since I was away on an extended deserted island trip, it turns out that I’m the only owner left when I find out about the mess. And my MFs to make the budget balance, before considering the SA, are up to $2,340,000 for my single week (52 weeks X 100 units X $340 normal MF). I don’t think I can pay!

YOU ARE BIG ON OWNERS TO DO THE RESPONSIBLE THING AND PAYING NO MATTER WHAT. THE SITUATION YOU HYPOTHESIZE ABSOLVES THE RESORT OF ITS RESPONSIBILITY - TO MAINTAIN SUFFICIENT INSURANCE AND RESERVES, TO PAY FOR NATURAL DISASTERS AND FORESEEABLE REPAIRS. THAT IS NOT RESPONSIBLE MANAGEMENT AND SHOULD NOT BE A REASON FOR SPECIAL ASSESSMENTS, IN MY WAY OF THINKING. AT SOME RESORTS, INCREASING MAINTENANCE FEES AND ASSESSING SPECIAL ASSESSMENTS ARE A WAY TO INCREASE PROFITS FOR MANAGEMENT! DO I HAVE TO NAME NAMES? AT SOME RESORTS, SPECIAL ASSESSMENTS ARE DUE TO MANAGEMENT IGNORING PROBLEMS OVER MANY YEARS UNTIL SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE. DO I HAVE TO NAME NAMES?

BASICALLY, MY POSITION IS IF A RESORT IS RUN PROPERLY, AND IT WAS BUILT AND SOLD ORIGINALLY AS A GOOD ECONOMIC PROPOSITION, THEN THERE WILL BE SUFFICIENT RESERVES AND REASONABLE POLICIES SUCH THAT THE RESORT CAN ABSORB A FEW DEEDBACKS EACH YEAR - GETTING THEM QUICKLY INTO THE HANDS OF NEW PAYING OWNERS. IF THE RESORT WAS NEVER A GOOD ECONOMIC PROPOSITION AND WAS BASED ON SELLING TO A BUNCH OF FOOLS, THEN IT SHOULD FOLD AND SELL OFF THE REAL ESTATE FOR WHATEVER AMOUNT, DISTRIBUTING THE PROCEEDS TO PAYING OWNERS.

Bottom line? Except in a few situations, such as where all timeshares at a resort have decent resale values, an HOA has to rely on the legal obligation to pay MFs for financial stability. If that were changed to a voluntary obligation, because an owner could deed a timeshare back, there would be financial chaos at many timeshare resorts.

AGAIN, IF THE UNDERLYING VALUES ARE NOT THERE, IT IS GOING TO COLLAPSE SOMETIME ANYWAY. YOU ARE ONLY PUTTING OFF THE INEVITABLE.

Lastly, each owner made a purchase with certain obligations (e.g., MFs and SAs) detailed in the legal documents that each new owner is supposed to read during the purchase recision period. I don’t know of very many businesses that if I don’t like what I purchased, I have the right to give it back years later for credit (e.g., no further MF obligation). Why should the developer or a timeshare HOA be different from any other business?

THE PEOPLE THAT I ENCOUNTER, AND I AM DISCOUNTING AS I SAID EARLIER THOSE WHO SIMPLY DON'T WANT TO FACE THEIR OBLIGATIONS, ARE PEOPLE WHO TAKE THEIR OBLIGATIONS SERIOUSLY. THEY HAVE PAID FOR YEARS, AND NOW THEY ARE ENCOUNTERING HARD TIMES. THEY WANT TO DO THE RIGHT THING. I BELIEVE, AS I SAID IN THE ARTICLE, IF MEMBERS STOPPED BANKING WITH COMPANIES THAT ARE INTENT ON DESTROYING TIMESHARING, AND IF RESORTS ARE WELL RUN, THAT THE RESORTS CAN DEAL WITH A RELATIVELY FEW DEEDBACKS, AND GET THEM INTO THE HANDS OF NEW PAYING OWNERS.

IN MY ARTICLE, I SUGGEST A NUMBER OF WAYS THAT THE RESORTS CAN ALSO OFFSET COSTS BY VIGOROUSLY PURSUING RENTAL INCOME. INCLUDING, ACTIVE MARKETING OF BONUS TIME TO PRESENT OWNERS, GETTING INTO THE RELOCATION BUSINESS WITH REAL ESTATE AGENTS, PURSUING COMPANY GETAWAYS AND RETREATS AND CONFERENCES, POOLING INVENTORY WITH OTHER RESORTS TO OFFER "EXCHANGES" TO THE MEMBERS OF ALL THE RESORTS, BANDING TOGETHER WITH OTHER BRICK AND MORTAR BUSINESSES TO DEVELOP OFF-SEASON EVENTS TO DRAW TOURISTS, COOPERATING WITH HOSPITALS TO PROVIDE HOUSING FOR FAMILY MEMBERS OF PATIENTS, AND OTHERS. SEE THE ARTICLE.

I think it’s great that a few resorts believe they can assist owners. But I definitely believe it’s not the resort’s obligation to do so.

I THINK IT IS THE RESORT'S OBLIGATION TO HELP DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM - TO PROP UP RESALES. THE RESORTS SOLD THE INTERVALS ORIGINALLY. IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO SAY THAT THE DEVELOPER HAS FLED, WE DON'T KNOW HOW TO RUN A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS, POOR US. RUN IT OR GET OUT AND SELL IT OFF.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My two specific questions which I addressed to you are in the last paragraph of post #13 in this thread:
...why should a BOD that manages the resort's operations efficiently take back the dog-weeks that can't be easily sold? Why should the remaining owners shoulder that increased MF and selling expense?
Adding, as asked here earlier, why should the HOA agree to forego MFs on such a week merely because someone no longer wants to own such a "dog" week. I'm referring to someone who can afford to pay, but doesn't want to.

I don't believe those questions are directly addressed in your article, which I have carefully read, or in this thread.

As stated in those questions, I'm asking about "dog" timeshare weeks (e.g., in mud season of an otherwise popular resort), for which there probably is no rental market. Such "dog" weeks at a successful resort are not new. They have always existed. Why should a successful resort's HOA take back such timeshares that they probably can't sell or rent; and if they can, it would likely be at a greater cost than any proceeds. As we know from many hard-luck stories here at TUG, there are many such nearly worthless weeks.

Also, I believe you totally missed (or ignored) my point in the revised car example in post #13. Even in a paid-off timeshare, the owner has a legal obligation to pay MFs, just as the car owner has a legal obligation to make loan payments. Why should the timeshare owner be relieved of that legal obligation but not the car owner?

Lastly, your simplistic insurance solution for storm damage doesn't reflect reality in the current insurance market along the Florida coast and other hurricane-prone areas. It's now impossible to get full coverage in some locations and even where it's available, huge deductibles that would necessitate a special assessment are more the norm rather than the exception.

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why should the HOA agree to forego MFs on such a week merely because someone no longer wants to own such a "dog" week. I'm referring to someone who can afford to pay, but doesn't want to.

As stated in those questions, I'm asking about "dog" timeshare weeks (e.g., in mud season of an otherwise popular resort), for which there probably is no rental market. Such "dog" weeks at a successful resort are not new. They have always existed. Why should a successful resort's HOA take back such timeshares that they probably can't sell or rent; and if they can, it would likely be at a greater cost than any proceeds. As we know from many hard-luck stories here at TUG, there are many such nearly worthless weeks.

Beyond having a contractual obligation. Why would an owner continue to pay the MF of the "dog" TS week when the owner could rent the same accommondation for a fraction of the cost. Doesn't make economic sense. Why continue to shoulder the burden?

Just because of the threat of damaged credit, collection and foreclosure costs that the TS holds over the owner of the "dog" weeks?

A basic sense of fariness suggests that the TS needs to work to resolve this problem, before it implodes. It makes sense to address this problem in a proactive way that balances the interests of all involved.

Why do you claim the TS a success? For who the prime week owners? The dog week owners sure don't think it's a success or feel it's worth being an owner.

The "dog" week owners continue to pay and supplement the fees of the prime week owners, correct? This lower class of owners must pay so the upper class owners can enjoy the resort?

What if the "dog" week owners found new owners who no longer paid, couldn't be found, default judgements for the TS get obtained but are uncollectable, collection and foreclosure fees rise but bear no fruit.

If the upper class then must pay twice the MF is the TS still a success....maybe and maybe not.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Timeshares have been around for many, many years and there have always been "dog" weeks at well managed resorts and there always will. Probably at almost every resort - perhaps with the exception of a small minority of resorts where there is reasonable year-round demand, such as in Hawaii. So does that mean that the majority of resorts - those that most of us own at, stay at and exchange into - are failures?

To me, a successful resort is one that manages its finances in a manner that is fiscally responsible and keeps the resort maintained and serviced at a high level. Whether there is a small percentage of owners that want to shirk their legal responsibility doesn't enter into - for me - whether a resort is successful. Every resort - yes - every resort has some of those.

Your "what if" doomsday scenario isn't new. But with very few exceptions, it's not reality. There aren't many timeshare resorts, except for some that have seen fraud or gross mismanagement, that have gone belly up. What makes you think that will change?

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personal Responsibility !!!!

To me, it seems that a few people are taking the stand that "when I bought, and agreed to the original contract, I am at liberty to change my mind at any time, and shaft the rest of the owners" !!!

What happened to personal responsibility??? I think I can assume, that everyone that bought a timeshare was of legal age, and "sound mind", and KNEW what they were agreeing to. (You DID read what you were signing, didn't you???!!!)

Some are "boo-hooing" the fact that they "might have "dog" weeks. Didn't they buy these "dog" weeks for a lower price than the "good/prime" weeks?? They chose to pay less at time of purchase, AND, knew (in most cases) that the maintenance fee, per week, would be the same for each week (sized unit) at the resort.

It is NOT the HOA or management company to sell unwanted weeks/units. The HOA should NOT take back weeks (as a general rule) because "someone wants out".

In cases of "true hardship", many, or most resorts/HOA's will work with the affected party, and try to come to a mutually attractive understanding.

Many resorts have a list of people that want to sell their week(s). Just ask for it. The best way to "get rid" of an unwanted timeshare might be to let the management company/HOA know that it is no longer wanted, and to get in touch with other "satisfied owners at the resort". The owner does the legwork NOT the management company/HOA. The management company/HOA might keep a list of owners that are looking for more weeks.

I guess I'm not part of the "ME" generation.

Tony

bugzapper

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I believe you totally missed (or ignored) my point in the revised car example in post #13. Even in a paid-off timeshare, the owner has a legal obligation to pay MFs, just as the car owner has a legal obligation to make loan payments. Why should the timeshare owner be relieved of that legal obligation but not the car owner?

Perhaps your car example was not addressed because it is mostly irrelevant. If you insist on a car example, consider the following:

Fred, George, Ginny and Ron individually do not have the resources to purchase a car and succeed in pooling their cash to buy a new one, without a loan. They have agreed that each will take turns using the car and they will share the maintenance costs. They have agreed that Fred would use the car in the morning, and so he uses it to drive to class every day. George gets it for the afternoon and drives himself to work. Ginny takes the evening shift and uses it to drive to all of her social activities. Ron has it during the wee hours of the morning, using it to get to his graveyard shift. Ron knows he won't use the car on the weekends, but since the cost of his share was a little less than the others, he doesn't mind too much. They are each thrilled to have the increased freedom the car provides.

The years go by and they put many miles on the poor little car. George and Ginny no longer use the car for themselves and use it to generate income as a taxi. Ron no longer works the graveyard shift and has no need of the car. In their city, there is little demand for taxi service during the wee hours of the morning. Ron would love to sell the car, but every time he suggests doing so, he is outvoted by the other three. Now that the car has hundreds of thousands of miles, the maintenance costs are many times what they were when the car was new. Ron realizes that he is paying for repairs on a car so that others may use it. His attempts to sell his interest in the car fail. Ron offers to give his share of the car to the other three owners, but they wisely hold Ron to his original commitment. After all, didn't Ron knowingly agree to participate in the maintenance of the vehicle? Besides, how would it be possible for George and Ginny to make money from their taxi service if they didn't receive Ron's cash? How could they afford to restore the car to its original luster if Ron didn't contribute his share?

Over time, Ron has become incensed at the patent unfairness of his situation, realizing that he is essentially giving his money to the other owners, but he sees no way to find release except through the good graces of the other three.

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps your car example was not addressed because it is mostly irrelevant. If you insist on a car example, consider the following:

Fred, George, Ginny and Ron individually do not have the resources to purchase a car and succeed in pooling their cash to buy a new one, without a loan. They have agreed that each will take turns using the car and they will share the maintenance costs. They have agreed that Fred would use the car in the morning, and so he uses it to drive to class every day. George gets it for the afternoon and drives himself to work. Ginny takes the evening shift and uses it to drive to all of her social activities. Ron has it during the wee hours of the morning, using it to get to his graveyard shift. Ron knows he won't use the car on the weekends, but since the cost of his share was a little less than the others, he doesn't mind too much. They are each thrilled to have the increased freedom the car provides.

The years go by and they put many miles on the poor little car. George and Ginny no longer use the car for themselves and use it to generate income as a taxi. Ron no longer works the graveyard shift and has no need of the car. In their city, there is little demand for taxi service during the wee hours of the morning. Ron would love to sell the car, but every time he suggests doing so, he is outvoted by the other three. Now that the car has hundreds of thousands of miles, the maintenance costs are many times what they were when the car was new. Ron realizes that he is paying for repairs on a car so that others may use it. His attempts to sell his interest in the car fail. Ron offers to give his share of the car to the other three owners, but they wisely hold Ron to his original commitment. After all, didn't Ron knowingly agree to participate in the maintenance of the vehicle? Besides, how would it be possible for George and Ginny to make money from their taxi service if they didn't receive Ron's cash? How could they afford to restore the car to its original luster if Ron didn't contribute his share?

Over time, Ron has become incensed at the patent unfairness of his situation, realizing that he is essentially giving his money to the other owners, but he sees no way to find release except through the good graces of the other three.

Nicely put.

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your "what if" doomsday scenario isn't new. But with very few exceptions, it's not reality. There aren't many timeshare resorts, except for some that have seen fraud or gross mismanagement, that have gone belly up.

What makes you think that will change?

What will change? Awareness of degraded exchange availability, awareness of rental options (from your exchange company or TS itself) that demonstrate you'd be better off renting, awareness of rising MF's, awareness that inspite of your best efforts you cant even give your timeshare away, awareness of the helplessness of your situation.

Awareness that a personal solution exists: LEGALLY TRANSFER THE DEED TO SOMEONE WHO WON"T PAY AND IS IMMUNE TO THE COLLECTION and FORECLOSURE PROCESS.

Awareness that even some moderators at TUG (a place that you had come to trust for good advise) understand your plight and the risks involved for the TS, but don't propose solutions because of their own self interests.

Last edited:

e.bram

Reaction score
Teepeeca:
As far as I know in all my TSes the only legal document between myself and the HOA is the deed, which does not carry my signiture. The sale contract is only between me and the former owner.
A RTU might de deferent because it is a lease signed by landlord and tenant. Points might be different because is agreed upon the owner and point operator by contract(also a kind if lease).
So, as a deeded owner where does my obligation to the HOA exist from?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Teepeeca:
As far as I know in all my TSes the only legal document between myself and the HOA is the deed, which does not carry my signiture. The sale contract is only between me and the former owner.
A RTU might de deferent because it is a lease signed by landlord and tenant. Points might be different because is agreed upon the owner and point operator by contract(also a kind if lease).
So, as a deeded owner where does my obligation to the HOA exist from?

It is attached to the deed. The deeded condo/timeshare carries the obligation in its language.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Nicely put.

How so? He signed onto a 1/4 share and 1 of 4 votes. Until 3 agree to terminate he is on the hiik. He could weasel out & he was silly not to restrict use type (no taxi use) but he remains liable

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
ebram,

Your obligation is legally binding through your actions...

First, your payment of "consideration" in purchasing the unit from the seller.

Second, your "acceptance" of the deed and then use/rental/exchange of your unit.

No court in the land will not immediately dismiss your arguement IMHO.

John

Dave*H

TUG Member
Reaction score
THERE WILL ALWAYS BE OUTSIDE SALES ORGANIZATIONS THAT WILL SELL THEM FOR A PERCENTAGE OF THE SALES PRICE, WITH NO NET COST TO THE RESORT.
If this is true, you would be doing everyone a favor by listing some of those organizations. I would imagine that there are many resorts that have a few dogs weeks on hand that need to get sold.