• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Deed or trust?

CHRH

Reaction score
Hi I wonder if I can get some help here, I originally bought a week in a 3 bed lock off at Mystic dunes florida in 2008, finding out in 2011 that the original company had been bought out by DRI. Our week was converted to 13000 points by DRI and we were persuaded to purchase another 2000 points by DRI to get us upto Silver level. I now get two maintenance bills, one for my original resort ownership (DEED)at Mystic Dunes and one for my DRI 2000 points ownership(trust). last year about 2600$ which is fine. we use the system every year and have had some great holidays.However Diamond at our "members update" meeting each year seem very keen on us relinquishing our DEED and as they put it "bringing it into" the TRUST. not for free i might add, last Quote was 12000$!!!!!! ha ha, luckily as in a past life I used to sell life insurance and real estate i have not been pushed into what i feel is a bad deal, my question is why are DRI so keen on me relinquishing my DEED, and at an exorbitant price, if they want my Deed so badly they should transfer it for free! or even better pay me for it!!!!!!!

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
$12,000 is why they want you to relinquish. They'll tell you anything to get you to spend more money. If you relinquish, you'll end up paying more in maintenance fees because there's a fat overhead for the trust. If you keep the deed, there is a risk that you could get hit with a big special assessment, but if you're in the trust there's a risk that a special assessment for any resort in the collection could increase your fees. We've had a deed with points since 2004 and have enjoyed the flexibility of booking with points.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
@CHRH In case this helps: If all your 15,000 points were in the US Collection trust, your annual fees for 2018 would be $2,879.10.

Here are the details:
Point Standard Assessment Base fee = $230.00
Per Point Std Assessment = $2,390.40 ($0.15809 per point)
The Club Base Collection Assessment = $181.00
Per point The Club Point Collection Assessment = $77.70 ($0.00518 per point)

CHRH

Reaction score
$12,000 is why they want you to relinquish. They'll tell you anything to get you to spend more money. If you relinquish, you'll end up paying more in maintenance fees because there's a fat overhead for the trust. If you keep the deed, there is a risk that you could get hit with a big special assessment, but if you're in the trust there's a risk that a special assessment for any resort in the collection could increase your fees. We've had a deed with points since 2004 and have enjoyed the flexibility of booking with points.
Thanks for the info, was hit for a S/A this year due hurricane damage at mystic dunes only $170 though, maint went down $100 for 17 over 16 so interested as to what 18 will be.They told us that only a minority 2% of original mystic owners have not transferred to the trust but I'm not sure i believe them, just trying scare tactics!

CHRH

Reaction score
@CHRH In case this helps: If all your 15,000 points were in the US Collection trust, your annual fees for 2018 would be $2,879.10.

Here are the details:
Thanks i think we will tough it out.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

Here are the details:

It's apples to oranges, but I get 15,500 points for my deed at the Point at Poipu, and my annual fees for 2018 were $2,104.59.

Details:
HOA maintenance fees = $1666.45
2018-THE Club® Base Standard Assessment = $285.00
2018-THE Club® Point Standard Assessment = $153.14 ($0.00988 per point)

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, was hit for a S/A this year due hurricane damage at mystic dunes only $170 though, maint went down $100 for 17 over 16 so interested as to what 18 will be.They told us that only a minority 2% of original mystic owners have not transferred to the trust but I'm not sure i believe them, just trying scare tactics!
The US Collection trust own 56% of all units at Mystic Dunes. So, DRI + deeded owners own 44% of units.
If 2% of original owners have not transferred to the trust then those owners own a tons of week each or DRI own a tons of week or it's a lie because there is a tons of unit (44%) that are not in the trust.