• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Deed Back to Resort?

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to sell my week for some time now with no success. I have the name of the BOD President at my resort and want to send a letter asking them to take the deed back. Reason is that my husband has had multiple surgeries and has another one coming up in October. We will still be able to travel but not for some time and we can't afford to pay multiple maintenance fee's. HERES MY QUESTION: What is the best wording to use in the letter asking them to take the deed back? I did see a post some time ago about how to go about doing this but can not find it now. Any help would be so appreciated.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to sell my week for some time now with no success. I have the name of the BOD President at my resort and want to send a letter asking them to take the deed back. Reason is that my husband has had multiple surgeries and has another one coming up in October. We will still be able to travel but not for some time and we can't afford to pay multiple maintenance fee's. HERES MY QUESTION: What is the best wording to use in the letter asking them to take the deed back? I did see a post some time ago about how to go about doing this but can not find it now. Any help would be so appreciated.

I wouldnt say it much different than you said in your post.
Dont say we can't afford to pay multiple maintenance fee's. say we cant afford to pay this resorts maintenance fees

As long as they think you might pay their fees there is no reason for them to take it back.. however, Once they are convinced that they will never see another dollar from you, then they have to do something..and their only choices are to do nothing and wait for your default or take it back. I mean , sooner or later, they are going to get it anyway, through foreclosure, Why not take the easier, simpler, cheaper path

just dont leave any doubt in your letter.. You have to say, You cant continue to pay.

Thats my advice, for what its worth....

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your advice is worth more than you realize. Thank you for your help ~ I was at such a loss. I believe I've been trying to sell two of my weeks for over a year. I will definitely take you advice and move on with it. Again ~ THANK YOU.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ron's advice is the way to go. I would add that you should follow up with phone calls. I was successful in Deeding Back Weeks at 4 different Resorts. All were the consummated only after multiple phone conversations.

George

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is rare that I find myself in agreement with much of anything said by Ron Parise in these forums, but his input above on this subject is a noteworthy exception.

Some resorts are hard line and intractable in their "Just Say No" stance regarding "deedbacks", but others can be more reasonable, particularly when it is made abundantly clear to them in your correspondence that their two straightforward, "black and white" choices are to 1) either voluntarily accept a "deedback" now, or
2) forget about seeing any more maintenance fee payments and just go right ahead and undertake the avoidable time, effort and expense of foreclosure. Pick one.

I must respectfully disagree with George however regarding making too many phone calls, primarily because it is highly unlikely that you will actually reach anyone truly knowledgeable and / or with any "deedback" decision authority by phone. Generally speaking, you want to reach the HOA President --- not just unauthorized employees or other minions at the resort (where the HOA President is not located, btw) --- and while you may be able to easily obtain the HOA President mailing address it may be considerably more difficult to reach him / her by phone. The written word quite simply carries more weight, at least IMnsHO. Anyway, I wish you luck and success.

Last edited:

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many thanks Theo and Ron for you excellent advice. I only have BOD, Pres's. name and the address of the Timeshare property. I think I can find his personal address on the "White Pages.com" I'll try that and keep you posted on results. Very grateful for your help. :)

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
My resort is Silverwoods at Treasure Lake. It has a HOA but is managed by Crown Resorts. So, who would you say makes the final decisions in a deed back? (If they will even take it back)

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My resort is Silverwoods at Treasure Lake. It has a HOA but is managed by Crown Resorts. So, who would you say makes the final decisions in a deed back? (If they will even take it back)

There is one way to find out. Call the Resort; call the President of the HOA; and call Crown Resorts. Tell each of them that you want to Deed Back your Week. If they say they are not the one to be talking to, ask them who is. Assuming none agree to the Deed Back ask all of them to whom you should make a written request. Then decide on a course of action. This is not rocket science.

George

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Unless the HOA is comprised primarily or solely of stooges hand picked representatives of the resort developer (which is generally only true within the "chains", e.g., Legacy Vacation Club (formerly known as Celebrity Resorts), Wyndham, etc., then it is the owner-elected BoD / HOA that makes any and all decisions and policies regarding acceptance of "deedbacks".

At any and all "independent" facilities (i.e., those not associated with any "chain"), it is solely the owner-elected BoD / HOA that makes any and all such decisions.

Fwiw, I cannot envision a scenario where a contracted (...and always replaceable) management company (and / or its' on site representative, the property manager) would have any authority or say in the matter whatsoever. Remember, at independent facilities the management company (and it's' on site property manager) are, in effect, paid employees of all the timeshare owners there. The mgt. company is hired by (and can be fired by) the BoD / HOA that represents all the owners there.
In other words, the tail does not wag the dog --- the dog wags the tail. You want to reach the President of the HOA --- anything else is just a "conversation".

Last edited:

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Theo. Your information is most valuable. I am in the process of hopefully and correctly wording a letter to the Pres. of the HOA. I found his name and where to mail information to him.. Wish me luck!! I am so grateful for your knowledge in this matter.:)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

rosco1e

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently gave/sold my unit back to Marriott. I got to the point where I didn't need it anymore and also the fees were getting pretty steep. I called them (they have an actual department that does this stuff).

From then on everyone was cordial, helpful, somewhat slow, but overall great. They paid me roughly about 1/3 of what I paid for it originally.

Wish all resort companies acted like them. They've always been first class.

winbett

Reaction score
deed back to resort

I was successful in doing a deed back with Carriage Ridge Resort in canada managed by Shell. Did not have to pay any maintenance fees after I sent in request, all was said and done in 6 months. I didn't receive any compensation back but was glad to get out of fee on a resort we were no longer using.

floydp

Reaction score
I deeded back several of my T/S weeks with no problem. I deeded back a Silver Lake week but continue to get M/F billings which are ignored. My second recommendation is for you to call your home resort to find out what is required to do a deed back. My first recommendation is for you to read the link that Brian posted. I believe that the post will answer almost all of any question you may have.

HPK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anybody explain to me what BoD or HOA means ?

I have written Legacy vacation Club that I want to give my deed back but they answered that they had no program for that.

I am not surprised. As owner I noticed that about 10% of my yearly fee goes to cover the fee's of the people who are not paying theirs. So the owners pay for that, the management company does not. So why would they accept a deed when then they have to cover the yearly management fee. I do not like it but I understand their policy.

rockotoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is rare that I find myself in agreement with much of anything said by Ron Parise in these forums,

I must respectfully disagree with George however

Interesting. Respectfully disagree and disrespectfully agree all in one post! :clap:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
You want to reach the President of the HOA --- anything else is just a "conversation".

If you can reach the President of the HOA, go for it. In my case I was successful Deeding Back Weeks at 4 Resorts and never wrote or talked to an HOA President. Every one of my 4 Deed Backs were different. My advice continues to be to call anyone and everyone who will talk to you and when you get someone who is quasi responsive don't let up.

George

LauriBuck

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have written Legacy vacation Club that I want to give my deed back but they answered that they had no program for that.

I am not surprised. As owner I noticed that about 10% of my yearly fee goes to cover the fee's of the people who are not paying theirs. So the owners pay for that, the management company does not. So why would they accept a deed when then they have to cover the yearly management fee. I do not like it but I understand their policy.
BoD - Board of Dirrectors
HOA - Home Owner's Association

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

BoD = Board of Directors (of the HOA)
HOA = Homeowner's Association (although in the context of timeshares, "home" is actually the timeshare property and its' owned intervals)

Legacy Vacation Club (formerly known as Celebrity Resorts before Celebrity Resorts filed for bankruptcy around 2009 and later "re-emerged" as Legacy Vacation Club) is a prime example of an operation where each property HOA is comprised primarily (or even solely) of stooges hand picked representatives of the developer.
In such situations, the HOA stooges never "bite the hand that feeds". Instead, they always dutifully represent the best interests of the developer, with the interests of the actual fee-paying interval owners a mere afterthought --- if even considered at all. It certainly comes as no surprise to me that the Legacy Vacation Club position on "deedbacks" would very consistently be "No, we would never even consider it. Just keep paying those maintenance fee bills --- and have a nice day".

Legacy Vacation Club is a great example of why many people deliberately and willfully choose to own only at independent resorts, where the developer is long gone from the scene and the HOA / BoD is comprised solely of interval owners duly elected by other interval owners. Other interval owners are exactly the people I want representing our best interests --- not hand picked developer stooges who just obediently and routinely kowtow to the developer at every possible opportunity.

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Silverwoods at Treasure Lake managed by Crown Resorts

My resort is Silverwoods at Treasure Lake.
It has a HOA but is managed by Crown Resorts.

So, who would you say makes the final decisions
in a deed back? (If they will even take it back)

Silverwoods at Treasure Lake
ph: 814-375-1800

Deeded Ownership

Deeded timeshare ownership at any Crown Resort takes place by issue of a Warranty Deed. This type of fee simple deed is the highest form of ownership in deeded timeshare real estate. You obtain title to the property free and clear of any liens and encumbrances. Your specific timeshare unit and vacation week are recorded on your deed confirming your resort location and vacation time. All documents are prepared by our licensed real estate professionals and processed by our legal department. Upon completion of the recording process in the appropriate county courthouse, your deed will be mailed to you for your records.

The Resorts at Treasure Lake
Silverwoods and Wolf Run Manor
1129 Treasure Lake Dubois, PA 15801
Phone: 800-756-3155 or 814-375-1800

Customer Services/General Info:
acctserv@crownresortsltd.com

http://www.crownresortsltd.com/Resorts/TreasureLake.aspx

Crown Resorts represents 11 Timeshare Owner's Associations

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more thing...

Many thanks Theo and Ron for you excellent advice. I only have BOD, Pres's. name and the address of the Timeshare property. I think I can find his personal address on the "White Pages.com" I'll try that and keep you posted on results. Very grateful for your help. :)

You've received good advice from Ron Parise and Theo. I would add only one thing. If the HOA President seems hesitant to accept the deedback, offer to pay attorney fees. This cost of a couple of hundred dollars is conciliatory (offering to meet him halfway) and may push him over the edge.

(I'm assuming your maintenance fees are current. If they are not, it's going to be a much harder sell.)

Larry
(I asked my HOA for a deedback and they agreed nicely, provided I paid $150 attorney fees. See this thread.)

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amen, Brother!

Legacy Vacation Club is a great example of why many people deliberately and willfully choose to own only at independent resorts, where the developer is long gone from the scene and the HOA / BoD is comprised solely of interval owners duly elected by other interval owners. Other interval owners are exactly the people I want representing our best interests --- not hand picked developer stooges who just obediently and routinely kowtow to the developer at every possible opportunity.

Amen, brother!

Larry M
(Fixed week 33 at Egrets Pointe, Edisto Island, SC, an independent association which happens to be on the grounds of Wyndham Ocean Ridge. Egrets Pointe owners have the use of all the Wyndham Ocean Ridge amenities.)

garrysells

Reaction score
deeding back silver lake resort time share ?????

I deeded back several of my T/S weeks with no problem. I deeded back a Silver Lake week but continue to get M/F billings which are ignored. My second recommendation is for you to call your home resort to find out what is required to do a deed back. My first recommendation is for you to read the link that Brian posted. I believe that the post will answer almost all of any question you may have.

How did you go about deeding back your deeded time share at Silver Lake resort ???

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

floydp

Reaction score
How did you go about deeding back your deeded time share at Silver Lake resort ???

As mentioned, go to the link that Brian listed, which he repeated just before this reply.