• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Decision time again- first week of Oct.- Vermont or Outer Banks?!

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok all ya knowledgeable and most high advisors, rarely does the TUG board get it wrong as far as helping sort through challenging travel decisions, thus we come forth seeking wise counsel.

First full week of October we are headed about an equal driving distance either to The Outer Banks with the soft early fall breezes blowing with no real crowds or to Vermont with all the peak fall colors and the small towns and villages.

So as usual please do not hold back. Please state your welcome and needed advice! I appreciate your thoughts and tip my hat to you!

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Outer Banks could be a wipe out if a late season hurricane came to visit and Vermont may or may not have peak leaf season during any particular week in October.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What a nice dilemma to have, Cheapseater! I think it really depends on whether you want to extend your summer, or ease into a beautiful fall.

We were in Smuggler's Notch last September, and although it wasn't robed in peak autumn colors, the hills were covered in beautiful splashes of greens, yellows, oranges, and reds! We loved the landscape and wonderful Vermonters, who seem to be a very special breed.

OBX was another place we "discovered" last year, and we'd like to return. The first week of October would still be quite warm, with a chance of getting hit by storms. Hurricanes have changed my plans last minute a few times in the past, so I learned to always have a Plan B.

It all boils down to, do you want a beach or mountain vacation? Another factor might be if one resort is much nicer than the other?

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I LOVE fall in New England...it's my very favorite time of year here. I'd side with Vermont. :) Even if the leaves aren't peak, it's still an amazing place to visit. Though we've just done Feb break in NH, and had a blast. We're pretty easy to please!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We pick Vermont. Always a nice time there. Used to have a timeshare in Vermont. We are going to Smuggler’s Notch this spring. Never been there. I too would worry about storms in the Outer Banks.
Either way, have fun!
Silentg

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'm partial to Vermont. 1st week in October is the best there. But never been to Outer Banks so can't comment on it.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have the first week in Oct in VT. Absolutely beautiful. We mountain bike and the woods are magical that time of year. This year will be our 14th in a row. Never get bored and even think of exchanging it. That week is statistically the height of leaf season. Saying that it varies every year so you cannot be sure. The outer banks would be nice too. Could still swim so it depends again on what sounds better to you. A dip in the ocean unless you get a cold snap or possibly wake up to a bit of snow if it is cool. Don't worry it melts quick at low elevations.

My vote would be VT if I had a say. If you decide VT pm me or post and I can give recommendations for hikes and activities. Also hit a chicken pie supper at a church. This is always great. Also the beer is much better in VT.;)

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have the first week in Oct in VT. Absolutely beautiful. We mountain bike and the woods are magical that time of year. This year will be our 14th in a row. Never get bored and even think of exchanging it. That week is statistically the height of leaf season. Saying that it varies every year so you cannot be sure. The outer banks would be nice too. Could still swim so it depends again on what sounds better to you. A dip in the ocean unless you get a cold snap or possibly wake up to a bit of snow if it is cool. Don't worry it melts quick at low elevations.

My vote would be VT if I had a say. If you decide VT pm me or post and I can give recommendations for hikes and activities. Also hit a chicken pie supper at a church. This is always great. Also the beer is much better in VT.;)
And the creemees. And the fudge. And the cheese. :) The Crews Kids reminded me of why they like Vermont better than just about any other place!

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
What a nice dilemma to have, Cheapseater! I think it really depends on whether you want to extend your summer, or ease into a beautiful fall.

We were in Smuggler's Notch last September, and although it wasn't robed in peak autumn colors, the hills were covered in beautiful splashes of greens, yellows, oranges, and reds! We loved the landscape and wonderful Vermonters, who seem to be a very special breed.

OBX was another place we "discovered" last year, and we'd like to return. The first week of October would still be quite warm, with a chance of getting hit by storms. Hurricanes have changed my plans last minute a few times in the past, so I learned to always have a Plan B.

It all boils down to, do you want a beach or mountain vacation? Another factor might be if one resort is much nicer than the other?

I think Pam nailed it! If only there were a way to do both!

OBX will be nearly vacant the first week in October. A few years ago, we checked in to a place in OBX on the Saturday before Labor Day. It was very busy and crowded but by 6 PM on Labor Day itself, it was like we had the island to ourselves.

We were also at Smugglers' Notch starting Labor Day weekend in 2017. Smuggs about half shuts down starting Labor Day weekend. A number of restaurants and activities at the resort close until the winter season starts. I would expect the same from other VT resorts.

Early September is too early for fall colors although we could see the beginning of the changes. Except for Labor Day itself, it rained all week. We got up Mount Mansfield on the one nice day but were unable to get to Mount Washington. There would have been no point.

However, there are a ton of things to do in that part of Vermont. The biggest problem is distance -- most everything is a couple hours away. Recommendations: the granite quarry at Barre, downtown Burlington, Montpelier, Cabot Creamery, Ben & Jerry's, any of the many maple farms. The huge Stowe complex and the Von Trapp Lodge are just the other side of the Notch. Take your passports and day trip to Montreal.

If you catch fall colors at or near their peak, all the better. But, you can have a great week regardless and, this being "mud, excuse me, STICK season," you can do it without the crowds.

A question for the OP: If you are in Eastern Tennessee, how are you about equidistant from OBX and VT? You have to be starting someplace else. One tip -- don't even think about traveling through or around NYC on Friday.

Last edited:

Dollie

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you catch fall colors at or near their peak, all the better. But, you can have a great week regardless and, this being "mud season," you can do it without the crowds.

Having owned property in Vermont from 1974 to 2017, and been a resident there from 2002 to 2017, living on a Vermont "improved" dirt road, I can say that Sept-Oct is not mud season. Mud season is at the end of winter beginning of spring when the snow and frost starts to melt. The dirt roads are soaked and muddy, some impassable, the paved roads develop frost heaves. Once the leaves drop in the fall, Vermont enters stick season which continues until the snow falls. Vermont has 6 seasons: winter, mud, spring, summer, fall, stick.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And don't forget "black-fly!" ;)

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Having owned property in Vermont from 1974 to 2017, and been a resident there from 2002 to 2017, living on a Vermont "improved" dirt road, I can say that Sept-Oct is not mud season. Mud season is at the end of winter beginning of spring when the snow and frost starts to melt. The dirt roads are soaked and muddy, some impassable, the paved roads develop frost heaves. Once the leaves drop in the fall, Vermont enters stick season which continues until the snow falls. Vermont has 6 seasons: winter, mud, spring, summer, fall, stick.

I did the best I could to edit my mistake! ;)

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Much like Jacob prevailed upon God to release him, you have prevailed upon us for a decision for our fall break trip! It shall be Vermont and we have started planning using your advice and recommendations to start our planning.

Hat tip to Chapjim! We are indeed departing not from our home in East Tennessee but from an area just north of Cincinnati, where we will be visiting with family for a few days before we depart upon our trip.

We are considering Warren and Smugglers Notch as our base camp for our Vermont fall colors week. Warren seems to be a good central location and Smugglers Notch is perhaps more highly regarded. That said, we will not be there for the , "resort" but for a true base camp to take in the greater area. Welcome your thoughts!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like strange but interesting things, see if you can visit Mount Washington over in New Hampshire. Amazing mountain! You may (or may not) know about wind records. It may depend on how lucky you are in early October though, could be ok, could be impossible. For oddballs like us, it would be my #1 place to see. You'll need a good winter coat in case you do get to go.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
October is a good time to visit OBX because all the tourist are gone home until next summer. The walk along the beaches are must more enjoyable than June, July, August because of less tourists & their is no humility. Please check this year hurricane forecast for October for OBX before booking? Just a suggestion.

We have never stay at timeshare in Vermont, thus no opinion.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Much like Jacob prevailed upon God to release him, you have prevailed upon us for a decision for our fall break trip! It shall be Vermont and we have started planning using your advice and recommendations to start our planning.

Hat tip to Chapjim! We are indeed departing not from our home in East Tennessee but from an area just north of Cincinnati, where we will be visiting with family for a few days before we depart upon our trip.

We are considering Warren and Smugglers Notch as our base camp for our Vermont fall colors week. Warren seems to be a good central location and Smugglers Notch is perhaps more highly regarded. That said, we will not be there for the , "resort" but for a true base camp to take in the greater area. Welcome your thoughts!

That is the week we are at the Seasons in Warren. I assume that is your Warren Base. That is a nice place to base. The timeshare is old and is more like a renovated double hotel room. We actually like it because it is in a great area for us. If your room is important I would suggest Smugglers. If it is Warren I owe you a beer. Smuggs puts you farther north and depending on how much you want to travel it precludes the Woodstock area with the Tourist attractions there. It does put you a bit closer to Burlington.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We've stayed at Smuggs loads of times. We also liked Jackson Gore Inn in Ludlow, and the Grand Summit Mt. Snow in Dover. Ludlow is more centrally located. Woodstock was an easy drive.

Enjoy making plans!

Last edited:

Cheapseater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please forgive me however I am not familiar with Woodstock. I note there is a Woodstock in both Vermont and New Hampshire. To which do you all refer to?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Please forgive me however I am not familiar with Woodstock. I note there is a Woodstock in both Vermont and New Hampshire. To which do you all refer to?

There is a Woodstock in both states and even one here in NY! All nice places.

But- as you will be in Vermont- yes- Woodstock there is wonderful. Lots of shops and restaurants- beautiful-but will be busy that time of year. A lot to see and do in that area if you choose to stay near there.

You can't go wrong with either Warren or Smuggs. I like to stay in a nice condo with nice amenities (pool, activities and excursions, tours, etc), which Smuggs can offer. It is a bit more secluded, but you still can visit Stowe, take the auto road up Mt. Mansfield (on a clear day for awesome views), take a trip up to Montreal, take a ride out to Lake Champlain, the islands and Burlington.

Endless possibilities no matter which area you choose to stay.

PS I personally would forget about visiting NH unless you have another week to use. I love NH, but if you are visiting VT, visit VT. You can't do a place justice ion just a few days. Immerse yourself in everything VT. Save NH for another time

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
BTW- if you do decide to visit Woodstock, make sure you visits the Billings Farm and Museum.

https://billingsfarm.org/

And across the street the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park.

And- The Calvin Coolidge Homestead is nearby in Plymouth. Beautiful grounds and very interesting. There is a visitor center and some tours go one on the site as well. But you can just walk and visit the various buildings and take in the scenery and the atmosphere. The President and the Coolidge family are all buried in the unassuming cemetery nearby.

The town of Plymouth is pretty much the original buildings from that time. There is a shop also where you can purchase artisan cheeses made there.

Last edited: