• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dealing with all the Orlando Florida Tolls......

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently took a 4 day trip to Orlando. We had cash and coin - so we shut off the toll transponder in the car to save the $3.95 per day charge for its use.

On the 3rd day - something strange. I toll guy just waived me through as I tried to hand him my $1. He said you are all set. Hum....did I smile nice at him or something? Next toll - I paid. The one after that the guy said your all set, I can see on my screen your transponder picked up the charge. Looked at the transponder, still in off position. Huh. The rest of the tolls for the trip I paid.

Today came the charge to the credit card: $20.55 I looked it up on E-Toll
5 tolls were charged over the last 2 days- well, I was only told not to pay 2. Guess someone pocketed the other 3.

$3.95 per day for 4 days ($15.80) charged for convenience fee - even though it appears to only have been "on" for two days. I get it, they charge for the entire rental period.

I can only assume on day 3 the transponder malfunctioned and turned itself on - even though the switch was set to off. It isn't worth the aggravation to try and dispute the charge - I will eat that and treat as a live and learn.

With that said.....I'm looking to learn for the future.
How do you deal with tolls in Orlando?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If the transponder is removable, put it in the glove compartment. Maybe it won't connect. I recently used a rental car to breeze thru tolls. Then I found the transponder in the glove box when I returned the car. The agent said the prior renter must've put it there.

He also said not to worry about not paying... The toll peep would see the car was a rental and bill them "as if."

The alternative of driving only toll-less roads, while doable, can be a real time-killer.

I use SunPass when driving my own vehicles in Florida. The state is migrating to toll-by-plate and SunPass only exits, so anyone who frequents the toll-roads here should have one.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We set the TomTom or the cell phone navigator so it takes us on toll-free routes to our timeshare resorts.

Saves $$$ & does not add much driving time.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can buy a Sun Pass toll transponder at Publix, and then you can add as much money anytime you want. I've had one for many years when I visit Florida and it's great to have whenever you need it.

It will be far more convenient when Florida goes to an all Pay by Plate system (and eliminate all toll booths) so that visitors won't continually be inconvenienced by the unexpected tolls while driving a rental car.

Massachusetts has eliminated all toll booths in 2016 and uses a pay by plate system. No one is inconvenienced by the Pay by Plate system other than having to pay the tolls themselves when the bill finally arrives. And, there

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pay by plate has the potential to be way less friendly for tourists, imo, because rental car companies can charge whatever they want then.

We had one once where the choice was $20/day of the rental for unlimited tolls, or pay the actual costs plus a $50 PER TOLL processing fee.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Why do I get the idea that pay by plate is going to lead to more stolen plates...

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
In Colorado we have the pay by plate everywhere (no toll booths), but we also have transponders and we get a discount on the tolls when using the transponders. Seems to work well, but I agree that with only a pay by plate system, the rental agencies could really screw the customer.

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Why do I get the idea that pay by plate is going to lead to more stolen plates...

I seriously doubt that anyone will steal a plate to avoid paying tolls.
Someone using their discarded plate would run up their tolls.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I seriously doubt that anyone will steal a plate to avoid paying tolls.
Someone using their discarded plate would run up their tolls.

When the Express Toll Highway (407) opened in the Toronto area several years ago many people came up with devious ways to avoid the toll camera. The regulatory office had a whole department devoted to try to track down owners of partially unreadable plates, and dealing with billing errors. Some people muddied up their plates, others bought smoke tinted or reflective plate covers to avoid their plate from being identified. The police did regular patrols looking for drivers where were trying to avoid the tolls by masking their plates. I never heard of anybody stealing a license plate to use for the toll highway.

The only problem we had with the 407 was the first few times we towed our camper on it we got a bill for the truck (has a transponder) and a different bill for the camper, which always said had gotten on or off at a different exit than the truck. It took many phone calls with the office to convince them that an RV with no motor/driver had to get on and off at the same exits as our truck since it was being towed! :wall:

Like AwayWeGo, we set our GPS to avoid toll roads in the Orlando/Kissimmee area and most other areas we visit. We have never had any problems getting around Orlando/Kissimmee on the non-toll roads.

~Diane

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Like AwayWeGo, we set our GPS to avoid toll roads in the Orlando/Kissimmee area and most other areas we visit. We have never had any problems getting around Orlando/Kissimmee on the non-toll roads.

As I said, it's doable. However, I'm an impatient driver and willing to pay so I don't have to wait at traffic lights. IMHO, Orlando should do what Jacksonville, FL, did in 1989: Assess a penny sales tax to eliminate local tolls.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the Express Toll Highway (407) opened in the Toronto area several years ago many people came up with devious ways to avoid the toll camera.
~Diane

Was the 407 the 21 lane highway near Toronto? Trying to remember which highway had 21 lanes (4 x 5 + 1 in the middle when I was there), at least for a fair stretch. I recall using it, and, it also did not move.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Well, they have to match the make, model, and color of car that the plate is registered to begin with.....

So the toll photo booth gets a shot of the entire vehicle as - every - car passes? And in sufficient detail to track down stolen plates? That's a lot of info to have to capture, process and hold on to...

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Was the 407 the 21 lane highway near Toronto? Trying to remember which highway had 21 lanes (4 x 5 + 1 in the middle when I was there), at least for a fair stretch. I recall using it, and, it also did not move.

No, you are thinking of the 401. It is very wide though Toronto, and still gets plugged up in rush hour. I don't think the 407 is even 1\2 that wide - yet.

~Diane

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
If I'm renting in Orlando, I always go with one of the companies that only charges when the toll is used (National/Alamo/Enterprise, but there could be others). Saves a lot when if you avoid toll roads, but it's pretty tough to get in and out of MCO without hitting a toll road. At least you'll only pay a fee for the 2 days you use it.

We've been driving to Orlando for the last few years from Ontario. Both our cars have SunPass. The transponder pays for itself on the first trip since tolls are about 40% less with a transponder. This doesn't help with a rental however. For next 4-5 years (i.e. 8-10 years) while the I-4 is under expansion, I will always use the 417 to avoid the construction zone. Toll roads will be a way of life for a while.

What I really look forward to is the universal tolling that your Congress mandated to be in effect a few years ago (where is it now?) It will be really nice when my transponder works on the interstates in the North East as well.

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between a transponder and the SunPass? We are heading to Orlando in September and we heard that you can go to Publex and get a device to use through the cashless toll booths. We will have a rental car from Dollar and they offer a device called a PlatePass to cover the tolls you encounter. But their charge is ridiculous $10.49 per day. There is no way we would be using a toll road everyday during our trip which is 7 days for a total of $73.43.
So, is it wise to use the device from Publix? Has anyone used this before? How does it work? Thank you for any help.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Yes, get the device from Publix, or order one online. I purchased a SunPass online years ago. It has suction cups to attach it to the windshield. I keep it in my suitcase for my Florida travels. No monthly or daily fees for use. Only pay the toll price. With the SunPass phone app you can enter info for your rental cars, including vehicle make, model, license plate and rental start/stop dates.

If you drive your personal vehicle, they used to have an option for a SunPass window sticker. I'm not sure if they still do.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
What is the difference between a transponder and the SunPass? We are heading to Orlando in September and we heard that you can go to Publex and get a device to use through the cashless toll booths. We will have a rental car from Dollar and they offer a device called a PlatePass to cover the tolls you encounter. But their charge is ridiculous $10.49 per day. There is no way we would be using a toll road everyday during our trip which is 7 days for a total of $73.43.
So, is it wise to use the device from Publix? Has anyone used this before? How does it work? Thank you for any help.

We live in Florida and have a transponder we bought at our Publix in 2011. The transponder is a small black box that attaches by suction cups to your windshield. You can buy them online and they are $19.99 on the SunPass website. SunPass can also be purchased at all Turnpike service plazas, Turnpike gas stations, SunPass Service Centers, select Florida Welcome Centers, Visitor Centers, Rest Areas, and select county tax collector’s offices. After you purchase the transponder you get it registered online with SunPass and link your credit card to your SunPass account. You select how much money you want to start with in your account but the minimum is $10 and set the account up to add the dollar amount you specify when the original amount has been used. You can go into your SunPass account and see the record of the tolls you were charged for.

The transponder can be transferred to different vehicles. Make sure you tell the rental car company that you have your own transponder so they don't charge you. You also have the option of adding parking to your SunPass.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I live in Virginia and have Virginia tags. When in Florida, I just blow through toll plazas. If they track me down and send me a bill, I'll pay it. But, it hasn't happened yet.

It would be wonderful if SunPass and EZPass could work out compatibility issues, which were supposed to have been resolved back in 2016.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't advise you to continue doing this as when they catch up with you they may add all sorts of ridiculous trumped up charges which could be very painful to pay!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even better would be to eliminate all toll roads. It's possible if politicians are willing to meaningfully address the issue.

As presently structured, toll authorities often fail to keep their roads in good repair and moving anywhere near the promised speed in urban areas.

If National Parks are one of our greatest success stories, toll roads are one of our greatest failures.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I wouldn't advise you to continue doing this as when they catch up with you they may add all sorts of ridiculous trumped up charges which could be very painful to pay!

What is my alternative? Get a SunPass for the week?

Even better would be to eliminate all toll roads. It's possible if politicians are willing to meaningfully address the issue.

As presently structured, toll authorities often fail to keep their roads in good repair and moving anywhere near the promised speed in urban areas.

If National Parks are one of our greatest success stories, toll roads are one of our greatest failures.

While eliminating tolls would be nice, I think the trend is the other way. At least that's the way it looks in the DC Metro area. HOV/Toll lanes are being extended in all directions.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
While eliminating tolls would be nice, I think the trend is the other way. At least that's the way it looks in the DC Metro area. HOV/Toll lanes are being extended in all directions.

I wonder though if these extensions are motivated more by a desire for increased traffic efficiency or a desire for increased tax revenue. To be sure, efficient traffic movement is a complex issue and metropolitan areas need to get in front of this instead of being reactionary. I wish our mass transit options would have significantly improved over the last two decades but that just hasn't happened.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
What is my alternative? Get a SunPass for the week?

We have one of the sticky cheaper ones they offer. There is no monthly fee, we have used it the last few years with no problems.