• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DaveNW- Say it Ain't True- Costco Drops Polish Sausages from Menu [2018]

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Went to our local Costco yesterday and found out they already did away with the Polish Sausage and the Verry Berry Sundae. No more non fat swirl. I voice my disappointment and asked them if they were selling a lot of the Acai Bowls. The guy just rolled his eyes.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never noticed that they sell polish sausage, but the two in Wisconsin I visit do sell brats, same price as hotdogs.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have never noticed that they sell polish sausage, but the two in Wisconsin I visit do sell brats, same price as hotdogs.
They are likely the same thing.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Still have the polish dogs at our costco. Phew! (Not that I'm going to eat one anytime soon though).

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dh worked about a block away from Costco in California for awhile. He would go over there quite often, many times for lunch. They had a boss, who was a real cheapskate. I don't remember if they actually did it, but the group was talking about taking him to the Costco food court for his retirement meal. :)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Still have the polish dogs at our costco. Phew! (Not that I'm going to eat one anytime soon though).
Where is your sense of adventure? And taste???

Be brave!!!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Where is your sense of adventure? And taste???

Be brave!!!
Oh, I love them, but the heartburn isn't worth it anymore. :D

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Costco: Polish Dog's Demise Probably Won't Be Postponed By Polemics
By Benjamin Romano/ Seattle Times Business Reporter/ Business/ Food & Drink/ Retail/ The Seattle Times/ seattletimes.com

"An outpouring of love for the Polish hot dogs sold at Costco's food courts may not be enough to save it.
With digital pitchforks in hand and sauerkraut on their minds, Polish hot dog fans took to social media to implore Costco to restore the recently nixed menu item. But don’t get your hopes up.

A deluge of broken heart and hot dog emojis, childhood memories, pleas for leniency, threats to cancel Costco memberships and outright anger has poured forth from Polish dog partisans in the week since The Seattle Times confirmed the menu change, which happened more than a year ago at some locations. Other customers complained about the replacement of chocolate soft serve, and Costco’s new açai bowls giving other açai bowls “a bad name.”...."

07052018_Sinegal_hotdog_185626-640x420.jpg

Jim Sinegal, co-founder and former CEO of Costco, with one of the retail giant’s signature deals, a hot dog and drink for $1.50. (Rod Mar / The Seattle Times, 1997)

Richard

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In looking at this a bit closer.......

..."An outpouring of love for the Polish hot dogs sold at Costco's food courts may not be enough to save it.
With digital pitchforks in hand and sauerkraut on their minds, Polish hot dog fans took to social media to implore Costco to restore the recently nixed menu item. But don’t get your hopes up.
A deluge of broken heart and hot dog emojis, childhood memories, pleas for leniency, threats to cancel Costco memberships and outright anger has poured forth from Polish dog partisans in the week since The Seattle Times confirmed the menu change, which happened more than a year ago at some locations. Other customers complained about the replacement of chocolate soft serve, and Costco’s new açai bowls giving other açai bowls “a bad name.”...."

Richard

I think I see the implied message here .... as long as we know what bowls we are referring to........

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sam smells an opportunity. And you don't even have to be a member.

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a22142284/sams-club-polish-dogs/

If your local Costco has an outdoor Food Court, you don't have to be a Costco member either. And if the Food Court is indoors, if you can get into the building, you can buy at the Food Court. They don't check membership cards.

Doesn't help the Polish dog lovers. And I think Sam's is kind of low rent to try and capitalize on something like this, instead of bringing their own options to the table. But that's just me.

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The biggest disappointment is the loss of the chocolate frozen yogurt. That is a big hit. I don't have a problem with adding a menu item, Acai Bowls. If you want to do that, add another machine, don't take away from something that seems to be pretty popular. Sorry, but I hope they never sell a single Acai Bowl. I go to the Costco Food Court for a decent meal at a bargain price, the Acai Bowl doesn't meet that definition for me. Perhaps they will sell a lot of these in California or Hawaii, who knows?

Last edited:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect that since Costco does not like to raise prices, they are most likely losing money on those polish dogs. As a way to save face they are switching menu items that will most likely cover their cost.

We all know they lose money on those rotisserie chickens. I suspect they also lose money on their pizza as well. If not they barely break even on the pizza.

Either way I still love Costco!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I suspect that since Costco does not like to raise prices, they are most likely losing money on those polish dogs. As a way to save face they are switching menu items that will most likely cover their cost.

We all know they lose money on those rotisserie chickens. I suspect they also lose money on their pizza as well. If not they barely break even on the pizza.

Either way I still love Costco!

It's a known thing that the $1.50 hot dog and soda is a loss leader. But if you sell hundreds every day, and the average member spends much more money in the warehouse because the kids aren't screaming to be fed, it's a win for Costco. If a member is happier, they'll stay longer and spend more. "Get it and get out" doesn't always apply. (Why does IKEA put a restaurant in the middle of their stores? Because they know how people get. Brilliant marketing.)

My concern is the Costco Food Court is becoming too fancy, and expensive. They claim "healthier options," but it doesn't mean the average customer wants to ONLY buy those healthier options. Consider the huge volume of cookies and chips and candy and baked goods Costco offers, and sells quite well, and it should be obvious many Costco customers are not all that concerned about "healthy options." A "Death by Chocolate" cake, that incredible monstrous two-story chocolate decadent cake Costco sells so many of, sells for $16.99 in my warehouse. You couldn't make it for that. So if they continue to offer it for sale, what's the big deal with revamping the Food Court? Sure, add in those healthy options for those who want them, but leave the junk food for those who want that as well. My guess is at the end of the day, you'll sell a lot more Polish dogs and Chocolate Swirl than you will Acai bowls and high-end salads.

Dave

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I haven't seen it yet ... but it sure seems like $4.99 is their new price point. Bye-bye $1.50??

At first, I would reject it on price ... but then again ... it is organic beef. What about the lettuce, tomato and other elements ... ?? We'll have to wait and see.
Organic or not, I will pass on a $5 burger.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Organic or not, I will pass on a $5 burger.

Have you been to a McDonald's lately? It's like taking out a loan to afford a hamburger.

Dave

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Have you been to a McDonald's lately? It's like taking out a loan to afford a hamburger.

Dave

On the rare occasion that we eat at McD's (or raunchy Ronald's as DH calls it) we eat off the value menu. It used to be called the $1. menu (in the US only as nothing was just $1 in Canada due to the exchange). Now the cheapest basic burger or Jr chicken is closer to $2. We don't eat or need fries (I hate shoestring ones anyways) and we don't drink pop/soda, so we get a free glass of water. When we are stateside DH loves the sweet tea (probably about a thousand calories) and during our US road trips he will go through the drive though for a small pail of it. We don't have sweet tea in Canadian McD's, just sweet ice tea which DH says doesn't taste the same.

We did enjoy another Costco sausage last Thursday on our shopping outing! :banana:

~Diane

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Dave
I got ya. Eating out at fast food isn't cheap any more. We went to Godfather's Pizza the other day and it was almost thirty bucks for what turned out to be a mediocre pizza. I usually go for the bargain deals from the dollar menu or from LJS just a single piece of fish and some fries for $1.99. Perhaps not a lot of food, but a little better for the waistline than a huge combo meal or platter.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
On the rare occasion that we eat at McD's (or raunchy Ronald's as DH calls it) we eat off the value menu. It used to be called the $1. menu (in the US only as nothing was just $1 in Canada due to the exchange). Now the cheapest basic burger or Jr chicken is closer to $2. We don't eat or need fries (I hate shoestring ones anyways) and we don't drink pop/soda, so we get a free glass of water. When we are stateside DH loves the sweet tea (probably about a thousand calories) and during our US road trips he will go through the drive though for a small pail of it. We don't have sweet tea in Canadian McD's, just sweet ice tea which DH says doesn't taste the same.

We did enjoy another Costco sausage last Thursday on our shopping outing! :banana:

~Diane
He should hit Chic-fil-a, they sell their tea by the gallon.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sam's Club is going to sell a polish hot dog. I wonder did Sam's Club mean that they are going to sell a polish sausage liked Costco ?

The food court war is on.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I must admit, I have never had a polish sausage and I don’t even know what an açaí bowl is.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I must admit, I have never had a polish sausage and I don’t even know what an açaí bowl is.

And you will be a much better person if you never know......

Sincerely,

Your Digestive System