TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Currently at Lagunamar

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by byeloe, Dec 31, 2018.

1. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

So the guy was on the computer at 12AM to snap a booking for week 52. Oh i am sorry, i forgot, Vistana does not need to do that since it controls the booking system and can block as many condos as they wish before the 12 month window opens for any week of the year including 51 and 52.
    It is obvious what is happening and it does not smell good.

2. carpie99

carpie99 TUG Member

If the week hasn't been sold then it is Vistana inventory right?

TravelTime likes this.
  3. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

As far as i know Vistana has sold all event weeks at Lagunamar so I will go with the simplest explanation: Vistana owns a number of platinum plus weeks but because they can they keep the lion's share of 51 and 52.

4. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MVC, Westin, Hyatt, DVC, Four Seasons
    Prices in Mexico are going up for many reasons.

The price to enter Chichen Itza is increasing from 242 to 480 pesos for foreign visitors.

https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/g...ase-chichen-itza-fee-by-110-percent/2019.html

I have read the price of concrete is going up 20%, electricity tariffs have gone up 500%, wages are doubling in some areas, to name just a few recent articles I have read in Mexican Daily News. These are all of the inputs for tourist destinations so it will need to be passed along.

This is why the Fed in the USA increased rates. They want to slow down inflation before it spirals out of control.

5. Bobw

Bobw TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV
    WMH
    WLM
    Any ideas as to where to rent a car for a week? Looking online, cheap prices for car but huge prices for insurance! Do you take insurance?

Arriving 1/5

6. vistana101

vistana101 TUG Member

I saw some reports a while back of crime/people coming into villas at the resort, which made me a little hesitant. Do you feel safe there?

7. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Check out the Mexico forum. Plenty of threads in there about renting cars in Mexico. My recommendation is to just take all the insurance you can add. Though your credit card CDW will cover you in Mexico, but having the added liability is a good idea.Of course, credit card CDW is where you pay for the damage and your credit card company reimburses you. Car rental CDW means you may pay nothing, except perhaps any deductible.

8. byeloe

byeloe TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Lagunamar (4)
    SVV- Bella
    SVV- Key West
    I have always felt safe in Cancun

9. maddog497

maddog497 TUG Member

I was looking into this earlier this week. I found a site that you could include complete coverage. The car rental itself was next to nothing for 15 days. The included insurance brought it to just over $180 Canadian.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

10. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

considering the cost of the 2 way airport-hotel transfer, you have the car virtually for free

11. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Regency - Marco Island
    Lagunamar - Cancun
    Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
    I have always felt safe, just concerned when I see the heavy guns here and there.

12. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Regency - Marco Island
    Lagunamar - Cancun
    Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
    You might be thinking of the posts where there was a concern that employees were entering rooms and stealing things like phones and tablets. That problem has been fixed.

13. bobpark56

bobpark56 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista, Westin Lagunamar, Westin St John, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, DRI (Hawaii & US Collections)
    That's bad news. We arrive in 2 days...guess we will be dining out a lot. We are just finishing a 2-week stay in Puerto Aventuras, where dining is half the price of what it is in the Zone Hotelera in Cancun.

14. bobpark56

bobpark56 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista, Westin Lagunamar, Westin St John, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, DRI (Hawaii & US Collections)
    We may see you there...we arrive on Sunday for 20 Nights. Emma Bohigas at the concierge is our central contact. We highly recommend her.

15. mrpaulytx

mrpaulytx Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HRA wk24, HRA wk28, SVV wk26
    Anyone in the Lagunamar Pool and how warm is it? I heard some forums they heat and some others point out its not heated. We usually go in the summer but thinking of a small vacation in mid January.

16. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Is the full coverage through the rental company or supplemental through something like Expedia?

17. maddog497

maddog497 TUG Member

It is through the rental company. I did not save my results so I will have to look back through my history to find which car rental it was. There was an option after picking the car for including insurance. I check that box and the pic I posted is what the total came to.

I found the site https://www.economybookings.com/?crcy=CAD

I have not used them and can not vouch for them.

We actually liked riding the bus everywhere, which for most will seem weird I am sure but we found it to be part of the experience. We would not travel at night time on them, but we have no reason to either.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  18. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    The busses are great and we have rode them at night, at least in the evenings. As for the car rental. There are a lot of smaller agencies in Cancun that do offer full coverage car rentals. They ultimately make their money on the insurance part of the rate. If you are only going up and down the hotel zone, it doesn't make sense to rent a car and drive it as parking is often a problem at many establishments. I would only rent a car to drive south to Tulum or west to Chichen Itza or Merida. Round trip transportation for two people is only $55USD through either USA Transfers or Canada Transfers, it still makes sense to take transfers if you are not leaving the hotel zone.

maddog497 likes this.
  19. grgs

grgs TUG Member

Hi Bob,

I hope you had smooth travels yesterday. We'll be here through Sat. Hopefully, we can meet up for a chat. PM me if you'd like to arrange a poolside meeting once you're settled.

Any other Tuggers around?

Glorian

20. dms11

dms11 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Vistana
    We are here now. Painting going on around Building 14. Can be quite intrusive....

21. dms11

dms11 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Vistana
    I don't know how anyone else feels about Lagunamar but we love it here. Not only is the place beautiful and well-kept (reminds us of the way they are constantly cleaning and painting at Disney World), but the people who work here are incredibly nice. If something is missing from your room, they bring it to you ASAP. If anything is wrong, they will do what it takes to make it right. In our case, Giuseppe Stefanoni was gracious enough to move us to a different room to get away from the painting in Bldg. 14. We did the Owner's Update today and bought an Explorer package which seems like an incredibly good deal...a one BR unit (NOT a studio) for six nights plus 210,000 Marriott points for $2770, paid off in monthly increments of $141 with no interest. The points alone are worth $1900 according to The Points Guy, so the six nights cost $880 or $146/night. Can't beat that, IMO, especially since we get to save our options and use them elsewhere...or even here, to extend our stay.

22. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

@TravelTime :)

23. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MVC, Westin, Hyatt, DVC, Four Seasons
  24. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    They wouldn't let us sign up for an Owner's Update. Well they would have, but were offering no incentives because we last did an update in October. No incentive, no update!

25. maddog497

maddog497 TUG Member

They offered us an "update" in exchange for 40% to use on a excursion. The update has no offer to buy and is not dependent on any time limits for us to stay.

We have friends coming on Monday and they will be offered the same 40% plus 100 gift card. (visa I think).

We too were not eligible as we did an update in December in SVV.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk