• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

current year club dues for new resale owner

David Yuan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV
WLRx3
HRA
WKORVN-OF
HGVC Elarax3
Dear all, (sorry if this has been asked before, quick search didn't see much)

I just bought a 7000 pts Elara resale, and I got a bill for 2019 club dues ($176) and a club activation fee ($609). I was fully aware of the $609 I have to pay, but it seems weird I'd need to pay the 2019 club dues when my points are in 2020.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs

I just bought a 7000 pts Elara resale, and I got a bill for 2019 club dues ($176) and a club activation fee ($609). I was fully aware of the $609 I have to pay, but it seems weird I'd need to pay the 2019 club dues when my points are in 2020.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Because you can still use your 2020 points for a 2019 reservation. It's called borrowing and there is no additional charge for borrowing. Just the reservation fee

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Please advise.

Thanks.

Yup, they bill you this years club dues. Theoretically, you could borrow all of next years points this year so they want to make sure you are a club member. You can look at it this way; it’s the only time you have to do it.

I got lucky. I created my account in October of last year. They billed the 2019 dues before they billed the activation fee. Since the bill was set, they didn’t bill me for 2018.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
... and you could book open season as well.

Even if you have an EOY you must play club dues every year.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Have no clue about HGVC. Had a friend buy from developer and made her rescind as soon as I found out. Anyway, she likes HGVC and I had some resale questions. I don’t want to give her wrong info. Are there any restrictions with buying resale? Some Vistana properties and DVC have restrictions on resale. Was wondering if there restrictions with HGVC so I can direct her to buy resale

Thanks

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Timeshare Elite status is completely separate from Hotel Elite Status. They are NOT the same thing.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As you read, resale owners get eggsactly the same perks and benefits as retail owners, except only:
(1) it won't count for HGVC elite status which starts at 14K (no great loss); and
(b) resale only buyers don't get invited to "owner's updates" (sales sessions).
-- Boo Hoo. Back when we did, I went to one & swore never again. --

I own two HGVC TS's resale, and like their quality, flexibility & quality of service.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
As you read, resale owners get eggsactly the same perks and benefits as retail owners, except only:
(1) it won't count for HGVC elite status which starts at 14K (no great loss); and
(b) resale only buyers don't get invited to "owner's updates" (sales sessions).
-- Boo Hoo. Back when we did, I went to one & swore never again. --
And of course, there are exceptions to both points, but that is a topic beyond the scope of this HGVC 101 class...

Kurt

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
... and you could book open season as well.

Even if you have an EOY you must play club dues every year.
and you get an rci account this year rather than waiting until next year.
They do kind of double dip for those who transfer in the middle of the year. They charge the original owners and the buyers both for the same year instead of transferring that to the new owner but that is the way it is..

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
They do kind of double dip for those who transfer in the middle of the year. They charge the original owners and the buyers both for the same year instead of transferring that to the new owner but that is the way it is..

I never thought about that but you are correct. Well, just like many other businesses such as airlines, TS systems certainly do like their fees.

David Yuan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV
WLRx3
HRA
WKORVN-OF
HGVC Elarax3
Thanks all! I didn't know I could borrow points already, that's awesome.
I went ahead and paid it...

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks all! I didn't know I could borrow points already, that's awesome.
I went ahead and paid it...

In HGVC system, it is ALWAYS better to be in a borrow position than a save position. It costs NOTHING to borrow, but you have to pay $$ to save points expiring, and you only get 1 additional year to use those saved points up.

So be a borrower in HGVC, not a saver.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In HGVC system, it is ALWAYS better to be in a borrow position than a save position. It costs NOTHING to borrow, but you have to pay $$ to save points expiring, and you only get 1 additional year to use those saved points up.

So be a borrower in HGVC, not a saver.

My wife is freaked out about borrowing. It might work in my favor as I’m trying to convince her we need more points!

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
My wife is freaked out about borrowing. It might work in my favor as I’m trying to convince her we need more points!
More points and more cow bell!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

Please advise.

Thanks.

I am sure you got a very good price on the resale purchase in 2019 with points that won't be available until 2020. We are contemplating selling some of our timeshares since we now have too many points with our place to stay in Waikiki. So I guess when we are ready to sell it is OK for us to put some timeshares on the market with points for the next year.

WahooWah

Reaction score
Is there a Club Activation fee if you buy from the developer? If so, how much is it? I was told it was about $370. If that is true, why would there be a different Club activation fee amount between developer and resale?

Perhaps this owner is talking about some other kind of fee at the time of purchase from Hilton?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
ACTIVATION FEES:
[For HGVC Resorts]
Purchased through HRC or its Affiliates - $377
Ownership Change Fee - $409

[For Affiliate Resorts]
Activation Fee Voluntary - $399
[Ownership Change Fee - Up to Resort (may be -0-)]
Affiliate owner changes are outside of HGVC's purview.

Vee Ts

Reaction score
Yup, they bill you this years club dues. Theoretically, you could borrow all of next years points this year so they want to make sure you are a club member. You can look at it this way; it’s the only time you have to do it.

I got lucky. I created my account in October of last year. They billed the 2019 dues before they billed the activation fee. Since the bill was set, they didn’t bill me for 2018.

So if you buy HGVC toward the end of the year you can avoid the Cub Fee? If so, what month would you want to wait until to purchase HGVC Resale for the first time?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So if you buy HGVC toward the end of the year you can avoid the Cub Fee? If so, what month would you want to wait until to purchase HGVC Resale for the first time?
The post you quoted indicates that October is safe, and possibly September.
But 'member, its when the docs finally get submitted to HGVC, not when you buy.
The process of closing a deal may take 2-3 months.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

We made our offer in the beginning of June and it didn’t close until late September. It took a couple weeks for HGVC to get it into the system.

I wouldn’t worry about the extra fee. If you find the right deal, take it and don’t worry about the extra fee. In the long run, it really doesn’t make that big of difference.