TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Curious on your dental expenses

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by Patri, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

When I was covered through work our dental premiums were reasonable and well worth it. After I retired I was still covered until I reached 65. Now I can purchase dental coverage, but it doesn't make sense due to the premiums, and that the cost of procedures isn't covered fully.

Icc5 and mpumilia like this.
  2. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Yeah- and the premiums were taken out of our paychecks pre tax, making them even more affordable.

Actually we pay $36 every 2 weeks for it out of my husband' check. Plus his employer credits $8.18 per paycheck for it, essentially bringing it down to $63 per month for the 2 of us. The plan caps at $1500 and is an Aetna PPO. I believe COBRA for it will be $79.00 for both of us per month if we choose to continue it.I also think VIA Benefits has plans that are around $35 per person. But again, these have to be paid with after tax money. Plus the Via Benefits ones cap at $1000. The there are deductibles and networks and co pays.

With now having to pay big bucks for hubby's Medicare supplement (we are choosing Plan F btw) and my Cobra health insurance, we are taking dental insurance off the table.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Luanne likes this.
  3. bnoble

bnoble TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Sea Gardens, Peppertree at Tamarack, Kauai Beach Villas
    Insurance *should* cost you money, on average. The point of insurance is that you are buying a reduction in the risk of experiencing large losses. Even if the carrier paid out 100% of the premiums, most people would end up spending a little more so that some people could avoid huge charges.

This is why I don't e.g. buy trip insurance most of the time, nor do I buy the extended warranties on most electronics. I'm willing to just eat the loss if something goes wrong with those. But, for a large non-refundable trip (like a cruise) I buy it.

Some of this is hidden by employer contributions. For example, mine pays the full cost of premiums for a basic dental plan. It covers routine cleanings and preventative care. I think I pay all (or maybe just most) of any other work. I can kick in to get better coverage, but our teeth are generally in good shape, so I haven't bothered.

4. DancingWaters

DancingWaters TUG Member

mpumilia, what made you go with plan F for,your husbands supplemental? Hope my husband made the right decision. We were used to primo health insurance for free so I want good insurance

5. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    You know, it was either G or F as they are the most comprehensive with no or little out of pocket costs.

Ok- so the F premium was $240 more per year than the G. But the G has the Part B deductible that has to be met first- for 2020 that is $197. For the few bucks more per month for F- and the fact that I believe the Part B deductible and G plan premiums will continue to go up as more people will not be able to sign up for F anymore and choose G as the next best option, I felt it was worth it for him to take F and not have to meet the Part B deductible.

Then when I am eligible for Medicare in 2021, more than likely I will take G since F will no longer be offered. Therefore- diversification of Medigap plans in the household. LOL!

6. Patri

Patri Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

That was true for us too, in the good old days. Coverage for a family of 7 was wonderful and worth the premiums we paid. Everyone got in twice a year.

Snazzylass likes this.
  7. Brett

Brett Guest

In the good old days I had a family member who was a dentist :)
    now it's $300 a year which includes two cleanings and xrays

8. aandmrun

aandmrun TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

My husband and I are fortunate to be signed up for dental care at the UCLA school of dentistry. We get excellent service with state of the art equipment. The Professors that oversee the students are certified dentists. Not all work is done by the students, if it is complicated, a resident dentist will do the work. The prices are reasonable and they also take our Delta Dental insurance. I highly recommend anyone that has access to University programs, that you look into it. It is a process to sign up and be accepted, but once you become a patient, you are given a long range plan that you schedule according to your schedule and needs.

mpumilia likes this.
  9. Luanne

Growing up my grandfather was my dentist, then when he retired my uncle stepped in. I didn't have a non family dentist until I moved out of the area when I was in my 30's. It was quite traumatic. At that time my uncle helped my find a dentist in my new location by contacting the dean of his dental school and getting a referral. Since then, I've been on my own. But having my grandfather as my dentist all those years instilled some expectations in me, it also made it so that I don't fear going to the dentist. When you're allowed to play with the chairs and the spit bowls it takes a lot of the fear out of the office. :D

rapmarks and mpumilia like this.
  10. bobpark56

bobpark56 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista, Westin Lagunamar, Westin St John, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, DRI (Hawaii & US Collections)
    If someone is selling you insurance of any kind, they are making money on it. My belief is that you should insure only for major disasters...events that would devastate you if you had to pay out of packet. Major automobile accidents are an example, as is life insurance when you have family that depends on your income. Also home insurance for fires floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, subsidence, etc., and major medical expenses. Otherwise you will save in the long run if you self-insure for the lesser impositions on your pocketbook.

mpumilia likes this.
  11. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Ah but you can come out ahead with dental insurance. I pay $300 per year and it covers 2 free cleaning and xrays and up to $1500 per year in coverage. I had a pain which came on suddenly and the dentist did a bunch of xrays and tests and told me that there was no problem and it would settle down. My insurance paid this claim and it cost me nothing.

mpumilia likes this.
  12. Luanne

You have very good dental insurance then. What I would have been able to purchase didn't cover anything completely.

mpumilia likes this.
  13. VacationForever

This is a Dental PPO add-on insurance offered by my private market individual medical insurer. It was a no brainer.

mpumilia likes this.
  14. presley

presley TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I paid $150. for the same 3 services. No insurance, no discounts.

15. mpumilia

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Wow! Where might that be?

16. presley

presley TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

It's in San Diego County. Might be too far for you. :D

mpumilia likes this.
  17. Luanne

The problem we had with dental PPOs, when they were offered through the company I worked for, was that they did not cover the dentist we used. We wanted to stay with him, so took the less comprehensive coverage that allowed us to use anyone.

mpumilia likes this.
  18. VacationForever

It is less of an issue for me because we are new to the area and we found that most dentists we have here are bad (I posted earlier) and it took several tries to find a good one.

mpumilia likes this.