• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CUP vs EEE

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I don’t normally exchange, I’m not as up on exchanging as I should be. Something that appeared in another thread raised a question for me. WalnutBaron in another post said this, “At six months, their HRPP expires and they now have a decision--either use their CUP points for an internal exchange or deposit their points into the EEE external exchange with Interval.“ I’m a little confused.

I own a week 4. I would like to stay during week 5 or 6. Since I have to either reserve my week or let it go, before weeks 5 and 6 get released, I have pretty much resigned myself that I will never get the week I really want. Have I been thinking about this wrong? If I’m willing to take a chance and give up my week 4, could it be possible to get a week 5 or 6? I might be willing to try and do that once in a while. Not often though, week 4 in Key West is still a lot better than week 5 or 6 in Michigan!

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
It's definitely a negative in the Hyatt system to try to use weeks right after your owned week.

You can put in an exchange request 18 months out. Say we're talking about a Feb 2020 stay: you can make that request in Aug 2018. In Jan 2019, you will have access to your Jan 2020 points (which can be used to make the Feb 2020 reservation) so if you're at the top of the wait list then, you may get your unit.

But the problems are:
1. In Feb 2020, your Jan 2020 points will be in LCUP so if you don't use the reservation for some reason you'll be out of luck
2. If you don't get your internal exchange between Jan 2019 and June 2019, you have to decide whether to give up and book your owned unit vs continuing to take your chances with the wait list. Your 6 month mark will come up before the 6 month mark of the Feb week owners. So the unit might well come available but if you wait for it you could wind up with nothing
3. If you continue to wait, you could miss your EEE window too, which happens 4 months prior to your owned week or in this scenario, Sep 2018.

I didn't realize this when I bought either. But it's better IMO to own a week that is deeded slightly later in the year than when you'd ideally like to trade. For example, I own an early June Tahoe week and if trading into mountain resorts, I'd like to visit, June-Sept. I'd be better off owning a Sept gold week vs a June gold week. Live and learn, I can still make things mostly work.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I don’t normally exchange, I’m not as up on exchanging as I should be. Something that appeared in another thread raised a question for me. WalnutBaron in another post said this, “At six months, their HRPP expires and they now have a decision--either use their CUP points for an internal exchange or deposit their points into the EEE external exchange with Interval.“ I’m a little confused.

I own a week 4. I would like to stay during week 5 or 6. Since I have to either reserve my week or let it go, before weeks 5 and 6 get released, I have pretty much resigned myself that I will never get the week I really want. Have I been thinking about this wrong? If I’m willing to take a chance and give up my week 4, could it be possible to get a week 5 or 6? I might be willing to try and do that once in a while. Not often though, week 4 in Key West is still a lot better than week 5 or 6 in Michigan!

The best way to manage the "own a week 4, but would like to stay week 5 or 6" is to have your owned weeks staggered by 4-6 months. (obviously only works if you own multiple weeks - which I'm thinking you do.)

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best way to manage the "own a week 4, but would like to stay week 5 or 6" is to have your owned weeks staggered by 4-6 months. (obviously only works if you own multiple weeks - which I'm thinking you do.)

Bdh, you are correct. I own a week 22. But it’s only 1880, not 2200. Suggestions?? Even if it’s every other year.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Part of the dilemma is this: how badly do you want to stay in a Hyatt property? If you're flexible, your Hyatt week will exchange very well within II and allow you a chance to get a Florida week 5 or 6 at a top-rate resort, including visibility on Marriott, Vistana, and other top-rated properties. As you're probably aware, though, if you deposit your Hyatt week into II, you cannot trade back in to a Hyatt property. It's one of the quirks of the Hyatt system but, fortunately, Hyatts carry excellent trading value.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bdh, you are correct. I own a week 22. But it’s only 1880, not 2200. Suggestions?? Even if it’s every other year.

WB's suggestion of an II exchange to a Florida non-Hyatt is an option. That said and nothing against the rest of Florida, but its not Key West - so another option is to drop back from a 2 bedroom (2200 pts) to a 1 bedroom (1450 pts).

Not sure a 2 bd via an every other year scenario would work. While you can borrow points from a future deeded week by pre-paying the next year's MF, I think the borrowing has to done within 60 days of the reservation check in date. So by the time you'd be able to borrow points for a week 5 or 6, there wouldn't be any units available. Note that I've never read the rules on the borrowing scenario, so suggest a call to the Go-Hyatt team for verification.

TBipp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Beach House and Windward Pointe, Key West, FL
The Banyan Resort, Key West, FL
I have been in your shoes. Speaking from experience, I would feel comfortable though putting in 18 months ahead of time onto the waiting list for week 5 or 6. Here's why: we have requested week 8 and 9 at Sunset Harbor for the last three years. Our requests were put in 18 months in advance. We own weeks 6-9 at Beach House. We have gotten every request, and Sunset Harbor is the smallest of the KW resorts. I also think you would be especially likely to get your request if you are going for one of the larger Hyatt KW resorts. Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! A lot of great ideas. I’m going to try to do both, try for a one bedroom and try 18 months in advance for a two bedroom. Worse case scenario, I have my week 4 townhouse at Sunset Harbor. Not exactly a bad alternative. Thanks again and Happy New Year!!