• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cruise Questions

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
WOW! So much info about cruising. I am so glad I asked for help from you all. I am going to book a Balcony cabin because I do a lot of photography and want the ability to take photos from my balcony. Also I love watching the water. That being said which deck and cabin area would be best for me to request? Dining options also state 2 nights in the main dining room are formal. Is it worth packing along formal clothes for those 2 nights or skip them and eat in one of the other dining areas on the ship? I would rather use the space in my luggage for my camera equipment. :)
Suzanne

Balcony cabins are great. However, I found that I spent more time on deck than on my balcony, so now only book a balcony if the price is very reasonable. Ironically, I very much enjoyed a lower deck ocean view cabin for watching the water more than from a higher deck.

Formal is not always "formal" and you will find lots of people in more casual clothes on formal nights. Don't worry about it.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
BTW, in my opinion, Costco offers the best no hassle and plenty of cash refund back to your pocket for cruise booking. There is no change fees and their agents are all very good.

I booked with Costco many times. They are great. But, you have to call for everything. When I started using an independent agent and found he was happy to communicate via email or text, I found everything much easier and faster (he also offers more OBC than Costco, so it's also a savings).

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
On Dining- I don't remember how H/A does it, but unless you like the regimentation of set dining, sign up for whatever they call the 'anytime' dining (Celebrity calls theirs Select Dining, and costs pre-paid gratuities to qualify but I'm not sure about H/A). We like to be able to go to the dining room whenever we want to and sit with different people rather than same time, same table, same people. In case you decide to just stay casual, about the only options are the buffet, or on-deck burger bars. Incidentally, I really liked the taco bar- right side of the pool deck. Great place for lunch.

This is a great example why the new(er) trend to offer both set dining table and time along with "anytime" dining is appealing. Jim prefers anytime dining, and I prefer getting to know the same people at the same dining table for the entire cruise. I've met great people (and some not so great), some of whom I am still in contact with and others whom I've been with on other cruises. I've often been invited to, and coordinated, private excursions with those at my dining table, and it generally makes for a pleasant cruise. I've often had breakfast or lunch in the main dining room and sat with others, and while nice, it's not the same as getting to know people over many meals.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Unfortunately, you are forced to call to cancel any prepaid services such as Internet, spa, etc. I agree that this should be possible online.
We don't usually book those, so I wasn't aware of that. We did purchase a four night dining package on the Allure for this December and I see the option there to cancel it, so I thought that was an option for other items as well.

FYI, I buy my travel insurance from squaremouth.com.
I have also used Squaremouth in the past, but now seem to like Nationwide. They probably sell through Squaremouth and InrureMyTrip also, but we usually just go direct. They provide coverage for pre-existing conditions as long as you buy before final payment where many others require you to buy within a certain number of days of initial booking.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked with Costco many times. They are great. But, you have to call for everything. When I started using an independent agent and found he was happy to communicate via email or text, I found everything much easier and faster (he also offers more OBC than Costco, so it's also a savings).
I use your agent too :D. The part that is annoying is that sometimes I have to ask him to match Costco's savings. His customer service is fabulous.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
WOW! So much info about cruising. I am so glad I asked for help from you all. I am going to book a Balcony cabin because I do a lot of photography and want the ability to take photos from my balcony. Also I love watching the water. That being said which deck and cabin area would be best for me to request? Dining options also state 2 nights in the main dining room are formal. Is it worth packing along formal clothes for those 2 nights or skip them and eat in one of the other dining areas on the ship? I would rather use the space in my luggage for my camera equipment. :)
Suzanne
When you choose your cabin look at deck plans for your ship and determine what is above your cabin. Try to get other cabins above yours and don't get a cabin with nightclub or dining room or public area above you. We like mid-ship upper decks as they seem to be fairly stable. As to formal nights, we found on both the Alaska cruises we did, folks didn't really dress up that much. Nice pants, pantsuit, skirt, blouses were all fine. I don't believe I saw anyone in a formal gown on an Alaska cruise.

We've enjoyed two seven-night cruises to Alaska out of Seattle and had very calm seas both times.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We don't usually book those, so I wasn't aware of that. We did purchase a four night dining package on the Allure for this December and I see the option there to cancel it, so I thought that was an option for other items as well.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I saw that cancel button but it didn't work for me. The agent canceled it and then booked the new package for me, and that one *can* be canceled (I just looked). Glad to see it!

I have also used Squaremouth in the past, but now seem to like Nationwide. They probably sell through Squaremouth and InrureMyTrip also, but we usually just go direct. They provide coverage for pre-existing conditions as long as you buy before final payment where many others require you to buy within a certain number of days of initial booking.

That's the same as the plan I buy from Squaremouth. I only buy it for the medical coverage and self-insure the trip cost, so I've only been paying ~$47 per trip. This reminds me to submit a medical receipt today for my last trip...

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I use your agent too :D. The part that is annoying is that sometimes I have to ask him to match Costco's savings. His customer service is fabulous.

Yes, I remember. You can't reasonably assume he'll check Costco, or any other provider, for you, but he does do his best to match or do better than others! His customer service really is the best. :)

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I enjoy taking cruise pictures of the ocean from Aft and of the ship bow when it is in the different cruise ports.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
When you choose your cabin look at deck plans for your ship and determine what is above your cabin. Try to get other cabins above yours and don't get a cabin with nightclub or dining room or public area above you. We like mid-ship upper decks as they seem to be fairly stable.

Great advice. I also prefer cabins on decks with other passenger cabins above and below mine. I've heard from others who were above the dining room and they hear all sorts of noise late at night and early in the morning. Also, I prefer a cabin that is not next to a service room (which shows up blank on the deck plans) as that could be a service supply room which may have stewards entering very early.

I use https://cruisedeckplans.com/ for ship deck plans. It's a helpful resource as it has pictures of many cabins and other areas of the ship taken by passengers.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
To get the best balcony views on 1-way Alaska cruises:
When heading North, get starboard (right) side.
When heading South, get port (left) side...

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
To get the best balcony views on 1-way Alaska cruises:
When heading North, get starboard (right) side.
When heading South, get port (left) side...

Thank you, good to know. Since mine is a roundtrip to/from Seattle I was looking at the port side heading North and the star board side heading South. Right now cabins are available across from each other so I can book as you suggested.
Suzanne

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, good to know. Since mine is a roundtrip to/from Seattle I was looking at the port side heading North and the star board side heading South. Right now cabins are available across from each other so I can book as you suggested.
Suzanne
I can't disagree with this, but obviously it will require a move, and actually, you won't be spending a whole lot of time- especially when the scenery is excellent- in your cabin. They have naturalists aboard who will be giving a kind of play-by-play when you are in the Glacier Bay, and tighter areas of the Inside Passage, and the narration will be broadcast in the public areas and on deck. You won't hear the Naturalists in your cabin unless your door is open, and even then it will be muffled. You will want to be on the upper deck - above the pool deck- unless the weather is inclement and you'll want to be in the lounge at front of the Observation Deck. That's where the Naturalists will be. It's indoors with a great view-m if you can get close to the windows. Understandably it's a very popular place.

If you want to avoid the move, I'd take a Right (Starboard) cabin mid-ship to forward, high deck.

Jim

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...[Y]ou won't be spending a whole lot of time- especially when the scenery is excellent- in your cabin...

Beg to differ, just a bit.
We watched glaciers go by while sitting on our balcony, wrapped in blankets.
The view was excellent... like being on the 50 yard line at a stadium.
But up front, on top was cool, too. The Naturalist didn't have much to say.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one other question, how far in advance should I book my cruise. Its not until August 2019.
Thank you all.
Suzanne

I hope there is a good reason to go in August. That is the most expensive time to be in Seattle and hotels and airfare will cost more. Also, you will get a better deal on the cruise during May or September. You can book anytime you want and cancel 90 days prior without penalty. I think that is the policy Vacation to Go has. The price should stay the same during that period. During the last 90 days, the price often gets cheaper based on the number of cabins and the best price might be two weeks prior to departure. But they might sell out too. So if you are meeting someone and that date is set, buy now with a small deposit and reserve the best stateroom. But, if you are free to travel anytime, start checking prices in April for a cruise in May and save a lot of money. Regarding staterooms, I like to be between the middle and back elevator on an upper floor.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I just spoke with someone at Princess and she said it was $3 for wash and $3 for dry, but you can use your ship card to pay so it must be some kind of digital equipment where you insert your card. She said detergent was available for $1.25 but you can bring your own, too.
Actually you MUST use your cruise card on the machine in the laundry room, which will dispense token(s), either for the wahsers and dryers or for the soap machine. I'd just bring a couple of pods in a Ziploc bag for the typical 7-day cruise. Or buy a dollar-store amount of powder to bring.

The washers run about 25 minutes as I recall, and on busy days you'd better be there to get your clothes out and into a drier (these run a little longer) or someone will do it for you.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only time we used cash on our cruises is for tipping for exceptional service by a crew member . Everything else is on the cruise line card.

To the OP just sit back and enjoy your cruise experience.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Cruise lines with Self-Serve Laundries:
American Cruise Lines - Free
Azamara Club Cruises - Free
Carnival Cruise Line - Pay
Crystal Cruises - Free
Cunard Line - Free
Disney Cruise Line - Pay
Holland America Line - Pay (most)
Oceania Cruises - Pay
Princess Cruises - Pay
Regent Seven Seas - Free

Seabourn - Free
Silversea Cruises - Pay
Viking Ocean Cruises - Free

Not Provided - Pay for Service Only
Ama Waterways
Avalon Waterways
Celebrity Cruises
Costa Cruises
MSC Cruises

Norwegian Cruise Line
Paul Gauguin
Royal Caribbean
Viking River Cruises
Windstar Cruises

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can book anytime you want and cancel 90 days prior without penalty. I think that is the policy Vacation to Go has.
The cancellation policy for a cruise is not based on the travel agency but rather the cruise line. Some cruise lines have now gone to 120 cancellation policies for 7 night cruises. Best to check the cruise lines website for their individual policies.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Beg to differ, just a bit.
We watched glaciers go by while sitting on our balcony, wrapped in blankets.
The view was excellent... like being on the 50 yard line at a stadium.
But up front, on top was cool, too. The Naturalist didn't have much to say.

Agree with a balcony for an Alaska Cruise. We woke up in the very early AM to see a wonder world of floating ice reflecting colors like gems. It was so quiet in the fijord and was one of the top sights I have ever seen. Seeing it in our bathrobes from our own balcony just added to the experience.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our last port before arriving back in Seattle is in Victoria, BC. unfortunately we don't arrive until 6 PM depart at 11:30 PM. Had hoped to see Butchart Gardens but they close at 5 PM that day. Any recommendations for what to see or do during the evening hours near the port?
Suzanne

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our last port before arriving back in Seattle is in Victoria, BC. unfortunately we don't arrive until 6 PM depart at 11:30 PM. Had hoped to see Butchart Gardens but they close at 5 PM that day. Any recommendations for what to see or do during the evening hours near the port?
Suzanne
Just walking around the waterfront or harbor is great and plenty to see with boats and sea planes coming in. The Queen Victoria hotel is interesting to walk through and the museum that is a block away is one of my favorites with a lot of ocean related displays. The water front is actually an easy walk of less than 30 minutes or five minute cab ride. The sun set is late and it stays light out until 10 pm so sight seeing is easy.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Suzanne, are you locked in to that specific cruise? Could you maybe change it? We went to Alaska last year, and found that leaving from Vancouver, BC, rather than Seattle, gave a much better itinerary. We went to the same ports, but we were in port at much better times. (e.g. Ketchikan from 10:00 to 6:00PM instead of 7:00 to 1:00PM.) You may find a better trip to be in Victoria when you want to be there.

An alternate option: Extend your stay after the cruise by a day or two. From Seattle you can catch the Victoria Clipper ferry, enjoy a nice ride, and spend time in Victoria on your own terms. Here's a link: https://www.clippervacations.com/vi...MI_pOHh9TR3QIVlIR-Ch3p-AcoEAAYASAAEgLwofD_BwE

Dave

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suzanne, are you locked in to that specific cruise? Could you maybe change it? We went to Alaska last year, and found that leaving from Vancouver, BC, rather than Seattle, gave a much better itinerary. We went to the same ports, but we were in port at much better times. (e.g. Ketchikan from 10:00 to 6:00PM instead of 7:00 to 1:00PM.) You may find a better trip to be in Victoria when you want to be there.

An alternate option: Extend your stay after the cruise by a day or two. From Seattle you can catch the Victoria Clipper ferry, enjoy a nice ride, and spend time in Victoria on your own terms. Here's a link: https://www.clippervacations.com/victoria-packages/victoria-fall-sale/?mkwid=s5iwHeSnj_dc|pcrid|295645476937|pkw|victoria clipper ferry|pmt|e&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_pOHh9TR3QIVlIR-Ch3p-AcoEAAYASAAEgLwofD_BwE

Dave

That's an idea Dave. There is only 2 cruise lines allowed in Glacier Bay and that's a must see for me. Both Holland America and Princess Cruise arrives at 6 & 7 PM in Victoria. Friends in Oregon have decided to drive up to Seattle and meet up with me there to do the cruise. Plus flights from Florida to Seattle are much cheaper than Florida to Vancouver.
I will check out the ferry and extending my stay an extra day or two.
Suzanne

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just walking around the waterfront or harbor is great and plenty to see with boats and sea planes coming in. The Queen Victoria hotel is interesting to walk through and the museum that is a block away is one of my favorites with a lot of ocean related displays. The water front is actually an easy walk of less than 30 minutes or five minute cab ride. The sun set is late and it stays light out until 10 pm so sight seeing is easy.

The water front may be my best option for the time I will have there.
Suzanne