• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cruise Questions

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am planning to go on my first cruise next year to Alaska. I have read the cruise info on the website for the trip I m looking at, but I still have some questions. So if any of you that cruise can help I would really appreciate it.

1. Cruise says port charges are included. I realize that I will have to pay for my round trip flight to/from Seattle. But what other taxes and fees will I be expected to pay?

2. Tipping, is the amount they show mandatory or left up to my discretion?

3. Will I need an adapter for charging my cell, tablet and camera batteries?

4. What hotel is closest to Seattle Cruise ship port? And what is best way to get from SEATAC Airport to the hotel and port?

I would appreciate anyone's help. I will be traveling alone so at my age safety is an important factor.

Suzanne

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a start.
1) extras are not so much taxes and fees, but shore excursions are extra and can be fairly costly. Also drinks, both alcoholic and such things as sodas or 'fancy' coffees.
2) tipping. depending on the line, they automatically tack $12-$14 per day on your bill. You can challenge that if you wish, but we never have. I think they would put a guilt thing on you if you went to the desk to challenge it much.
3) Your cabin will have a normal household power outlet to plug your charger into. (it will also have European 240v outlets)
3) Can't help you there. Inquire on Cruise Critic (see below)
4) the least expensive would be the light rail in to Seattle Center (where the Space Needle is), but you may want to use a shared shuttle direct to a hotel.

By all means sign onto www.cruisecritic.com and go to the 'Roll Calls' and sign on to your exact ship and sailing date. There you will 'meet' people who will be on the cruise with you. You can join discussions on hotels, shore excursions (most at lower cost than the cruise line offers) 'sail away' party, meet 'n' greets aboard that the cruise line really caters to Cruise Critic members and gives them special perks.

Have Fun. Those are fun cruises and a good way to 'get your cruising feet' wet.

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
By all means sign onto www.cruisecritic.com and go to the 'Roll Calls' and sign on to your exact ship and sailing date. There you will 'meet' people who will be on the cruise with you. You can join discussions on hotels, shore excursions (most at lower cost than the cruise line offers) 'sail away' party, meet 'n' greets aboard that the cruise line really caters to Cruise Critic members and gives them special perks.
I have found that Cruise Critic roll calls have severely diminished in value the last few years. It seems the tide has changed toward Facebook groups. So I also suggest searching for Facebook groups for the specific ship and sail date. They tend to get a lot more action than the roll calls I am also following.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding transportation, we don't do Uber or Lyft due to safety concerns, there is no vetting of drivers... We use SuperShuttle from airports extensively, and apply our AAA discount. Most hotels have taxis to the port, and some hotels that are close to the ports will usually have shuttles that take you to the port, sometimes for a small fee.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
There is more than one pier used for cruise ships in Seattle, so make sure you check w/ the cruise line to find out which one your ship will be at.

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have found that Cruise Critic roll calls have severely diminished in value the last few years. It seems the tide has changed toward Facebook groups. So I also suggest searching for Facebook groups for the specific ship and sail date. They tend to get a lot more action than the roll calls I am also following.
Interesting that the role calls are going out of favor; I never use them but I do find Cruise Critic to be a great resource for information about the ship, itinerary, and especially researching the excursions that are available at each port.

Kurt

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
As mentioned you wont need an adapter but if you have a few things that need to plug in (ie;cell charger, camera battery charger...) you might want to pack a small power bar. On the few cruises we've taken there was only 1 outlet in the bathroom (too high for me to reach) and one outlet at the desk, so being able to plug 6 things into a power bar at the desk was handy.

~Diane

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As mentioned you wont need an adapter but if you have a few things that need to plug in (ie;cell charger, camera battery charger...) you might want to pack a small power bar. On the few cruises we've taken there was only 1 outlet in the bathroom (too high for me to reach) and one outlet at the desk, so being able to plug 6 things into a power bar at the desk was handy.
Double-check w/ the cruise line first, as some lines strictly prohibit power strips in the rooms (fire hazard). Instead, since almost all of our devices can be charged with a USB charger, I just get a multi-port charger so we can charge up all phones, ipads, cameras, etc. with just one plug.

https://www.cruisehabit.com/power-s...-ships-and-how-safely-gain-some-extra-outlets

Kurt

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Double-check w/ the cruise line first, as some lines strictly prohibit power strips in the rooms (fire hazard). Instead, since almost all of our devices can be charged with a USB charger, I just get a multi-port charger so we can charge up all phones, ipads, cameras, etc. with just one plug.

https://www.cruisehabit.com/power-s...-ships-and-how-safely-gain-some-extra-outlets

Kurt
Good advice. Royal Caribbean stopped allowing power strips. It used to be you could take one as long as it didn't have surge protection, but now people have reported having any power strip confiscated from their luggage.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
The link light rail is an easy way to get from the airport to downtown Seattle, but it will depend on how much luggage you'll have as you'd have to be able to manage it by yourself getting on the train and walking to your hotel. A taxi, Super Shuttle, or Uber/Lyft are alternatives.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we need a hotel prior to a cruise (usually depart from east coast), we use a website called buyreservations.com. I looked up Seattle, and one hotel (Radisson) was provided for the date I selected. It was located at the airport, so I assume they have a free shuttle from the airport. They offer a shuttle to the port for $14 pp.

Can’t guarantee they will have something you are interested in, but you can give them a try. We use them all the time for park/fly packages, and have found their prices to be very good, usually lower than anything else we can find.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Surge protectors are prohibitive on all Celebrity Cruise Line ships
Tipping is a suggestive amount given by you for service on a cruise ship. Ex. cabin steward, chief eng, dinning room server & assistant. Each cruise line will breakdown this information for you on a daily costs.
There are several hotels nears the cruise port. Check Trip Advisor for this information.
Cruise Critic is still a good source for free cruise information. Check cruise critic reviews for the information on your cruise ship and check cruise critics for the Roll Call for the date and of your cruise ship. Example: Celebrity Edge February 10,2019. Roll Call.
I would use a hotel shuttle to the cruise port it is cheaper IMHO.

Last edited:

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we need a hotel prior to a cruise (usually depart from east coast), we use a website called buyreservations.com. I looked up Seattle, and one hotel (Radisson) was provided for the date I selected. It was located at the airport, so I assume they have a free shuttle from the airport. They offer a shuttle to the port for $14 pp.

Can’t guarantee they will have something you are interested in, but you can give them a try. We use them all the time for park/fly packages, and have found their prices to be very good, usually lower than anything else we can find.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

This is probably a good choice, but also check other hotels close to the airport that have free transportation. The Raddison is in a good location because there is a walking bridge across Highway 99 that goes right to the hotel and it is an easy walk from the airport. We went last year and stayed in the Double Tree and the hotel had a service to drive people to the cruise ship which was cheaper than Uber or using the ship’s transportation. I think the rate from the ship was $35 pp and we paid $60 for a big SUV that carried four people and all our luggage. So the $14 rate above is a good as it gets. We spent three nights in town before the cruise and rode the train downtown and Seattle Center. The train was very convenient and an easy walk from the Radison, but it doesn’t go anywhere near the cruise ship. Look at Google maps for more detail.

I bought an extension cord that has three plug receptacles and that works great for travel. I take two of them everywhere we travel.

If you didn’t buy your cruise yet, Princess, Celebrity, and Holland America are the ones you might want. Also, Costco Travel and Vacations to Go have great prices. Princess has coin operated washers onboard that come in handy.

We have done that cruise four times. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai

You know, it's funny. We booked two cruises this year, both about March. Regal Princess in June got up to about 30 pages of posts before sailing. Celebrity Reflection, sailing in November, had 40+ pages by then and 113 now! I guess it depends on who's going, and going where.

But at least it's easy to find the "roll call" and I'm sure if there's a Facebook group it will be mentioned there. One thing they're very good for is organizing solo travelers into groups for dining, games, tours, etc.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Princess has coin operated washers onboard that come in handy.
Do you know the cost of the washer and dryer? Also, do you need to bring your own detergent? We have a cruise planned on the Pacific Princess next year and noticed the laundromat is on our deck.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your help. The cruise is on the Holland Oosterdam ship, thru Vacations To Go. It loads from Pier 66. Flying from Tallahassee, Florida I will need to arrive a day prior to boarding the ship and stay over a day after getting back into Seattle, due to connections.

I did not know about the extension cords. I always take a power strip when I travel but never used a USB strip thing. Definitely getting one of those. I will check out the links you all provided as well. Since I am older and traveling alone, I will want to use shuttle service if hotel does not offer transport to and from the port.

Thank you all again for your help.
Suzanne

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know the cost of the washer and dryer? Also, do you need to bring your own detergent? We have a cruise planned on the Pacific Princess next year and noticed the laundromat is on our deck.

The cost goes up all the time, but if I remember right it was $3.00 to wash and $2 for a dryer and that was a lot more than places charge in town, but way cheaper than paying the ship to wash or bringing an extra suitcase. The ship will give you change and sell you soap. But, call Princess to make sure they still have soap and quarters onboard. I bet they went digital in the last couple years, but maybe not all ships have done that.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your help. The cruise is on the Holland Oosterdam ship, thru Vacations To Go. It loads from Pier 66. Flying from Tallahassee, Florida I will need to arrive a day prior to boarding the ship and stay over a day after getting back into Seattle, due to connections.

I did not know about the extension cords. I always take a power strip when I travel but never used a USB strip thing. Definitely getting one of those. I will check out the links you all provided as well. Since I am older and traveling alone, I will want to use shuttle service if hotel does not offer transport to and from the port.

Thank you all again for your help.
Suzanne
I recommend you call the hotel you are staying in to get a quote and make a reservation. Also, call Vacations to Go or Princess to buy a transfer should you decide to go that way. One thing about boarding the ship is they tell you to board between 1-3 pm and if you ride with the Princess transfer, they will leave later. I like to depart the hotel around 11 am and get to the ship before noon. They might not let you into your state room until 3 pm, but you can go to the buffet and walk around the ship until your room is ready.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The cost goes up all the time, but if I remember right it was $3.00 to wash and $2 for a dryer and that was a lot more than places charge in town, but way cheaper than paying the ship to wash or bringing an extra suitcase. The ship will give you change and sell you soap. But, call Princess to make sure they still have soap and quarters onboard. I bet they went digital in the last couple years, but maybe not all ships have done that.
I just spoke with someone at Princess and she said it was $3 for wash and $3 for dry, but you can use your ship card to pay so it must be some kind of digital equipment where you insert your card. She said detergent was available for $1.25 but you can bring your own, too.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just spoke with someone at Princess and she said it was $3 for wash and $3 for dry, but you can use your ship card to pay so it must be some kind of digital equipment where you insert your card. She said detergent was available for $1.25 but you can bring your own, too.

Thanks for the update. I will be on a Princess ship Oct 6-13 and will use that. We are just doing a seven day coastal cruise with family out of LA. But, it is nice to have clean clothes before getting off the ship and starting phase three of our vacation.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the update. I will be on a Princess ship Oct 6-13 and will use that. We are just doing a seven day coastal cruise with family out of LA. But, it is nice to have clean clothes before getting off the ship and starting phase three of our vacation.
We're doing a 12-day Mediterranean/Adriatic cruise followed by an 11-day trip to Israel with our church. Having access to a laundromat onboard the ship is phenomenal!

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recommend you call the hotel you are staying in to get a quote and make a reservation. Also, call Vacations to Go or Princess to buy a transfer should you decide to go that way. One thing about boarding the ship is they tell you to board between 1-3 pm and if you ride with the Princess transfer, they will leave later. I like to depart the hotel around 11 am and get to the ship before noon. They might not let you into your state room until 3 pm, but you can go to the buffet and walk around the ship until your room is ready.
Thank you for this info as most hotels have a 10 or 11 AM checkout time. I will try to board early and go to the buffet and relax til my room is ready. The flight from Florida to Seattle is very tiring.
Zuzanne

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one other question, how far in advance should I book my cruise. Its not until August 2019.
Thank you all.
Suzanne