• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Crucial change to HGVC - We must take action, stand together and be heard

whatsburning

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just stumbled onto this thread and have/did not do anything to help this cause... Is it too late to add my voice, hearing that all of your efforts have already made a difference? Would it keep the "pressure" on by putting my two cents in?

TTom

Reaction score
Hilton has already responded positively to our campaign. No additional pressure is necessary at this time. If you wanted to weigh in, you could acknowledge their positive response. The same way they deserved pressure to act, they deserve credit for their actions, so that they know we care.

What we will need is continued vigilance, since it is likely that this scenario could be repeated next year.

Tom

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess would be:

a) they will get out in front of any decision for 2016 and provide earlier and better notice, and
b) they will be at least a little wary of a backlash similar to what just occurred if they attempt to implement something outrageous and unjustified, and
c) we will see a somewhat significant increase in Open Season rates.

I guess the combination of all these factors will determine what, if any, our response will be. We will need to be ready, willing and able to mobilize once again, should we be treated next year the same way we were treated this year. Wouldn't seem like a wise political decision for them.

I'm reminded of Einstein's definition of insanity: doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result. Somehow, I don't think HGVC management is "insane."

I made it clear to HGVC as I did here at TUG if the inventory comes from what is not reserved during Club Season by owner/members, the rates should be about the same as they are now with no SIGNIFICANT INCREASE. That will be my position in 2015, 2016 and as long as I own Hilton Timeshares as it was in the end of 2014 when I found out about their ridiculous increases.

That is exactly how I feel on this subject....if the inventory is coming from us, then there should be no huge rate increases; WE ARE THE OWNERS, HGVC is just the management company...

jestme

Reaction score
It has been weeks now since they announced the prices will stay the same for the whole year, but the "Classic" website still has the 2015 ranges of rates as before their announcement" . How long should it take to put last years rates back?

TTom

Reaction score
HGVC has not shown themselves to be the most technology-savvy web presence. I don't see anything wrong or amiss with asking them (either on the phone or on social media) when they will get things updated.

Tom

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the prices are currently where they are going to stay ... booking a studio on a weekend we want in Feb at I-Drive is still $120 a night - which is hardly the bargain it was a few years ago. We will watch it, but we decided to book at Marriott Grand Vista down the street for just a few dollars more and build some points.... (and a golf course right there).

We really used to use open season a LOT -and gold season still seems somewhat reasonable - but we will be using other options if it stays this high. Open season was attractive to us because we like to stay 2 nights and then visit relatives and friends in Tampa, the Villages, and Clearwater. I really loved this part of our ownership - and it is a shame to see them make this so much less attractive to owners. And we tended to spend money at the restaurant/bar - so they probably underestimate some of that lost income.

Dojan123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree. I am starting to book for a few dollars more and get points with the other chains like Marriott.

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just picked up 2 additional 7000 pt affiliate resales in the last month.

I for one am ecstatic that HGVC is holding off on this massive change.

I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to write a letter had the sample not been posted as I am not very creative and had always thought that in situations like these letters and complaints never would do any good. I was sure wrong.

Thanks everyone who participated in this campaign to make HGVC treat us fairly.

nlehvac

Reaction score
We had [influential] help

Just got back from a week at Fiesta Americana in Cabo and went to an owners update. Because they work with HGVC so closely, I of course brought up the open season "uprising." To quote him, "we were part of that uprising." They were quite upset, because it affected their owners wanting to exchange into HGVC, which has been a major selling point for them. Was their pressure what did it? Was the owner outrage more important? Was it getting hit from 2 sides that did it? Who knows. But it will be interesting going forward. Maybe if something like this comes up again, I can contact him for inside info from the FA side!

letsgosteelers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Somehow I think the joke is on us.

You notice they have just played lipservice saying they will credit the fees which is only obvious to those here on the forum. If other owners make reservations and don't know about this fee increase I'm sure they will happily take their money and not say a word.

If they really meant what they said they would have changed the fees in the system.

USDave

Reaction score
So back in 2015 - HGVC Tried to hike the Open Season rates astronomically 100% plus and break a part of our membership. After seeing a post about this I started a campaign that had hundreds of people to action.

This was through calm, professional and polite relentless objection to these changes. Hundreds of Tuggers tweeted HGVC, posted on Facebook and emailed regarding what I described as an Open Season Heist.

HGVC took action and reversed this decision which was a major achievement and announced that they would reverse the changes.

So I went to add on 2 days to a points reservation but amongst the rates was 2 nights at Parc Soleil for $598!!!! for a 2 bed unit. I expect there to be small increases but this again is scandalous and HGVC have clearly hoped why we weren't looking that would seek to take advantage......

I had asked Barbara Rinks for a breakdown of the increases in the last few years and got an email saying most increases have been 2.5 to 3.5%..........I don't believe this and have asked for a further breakdown. I believe it was approx $270 for 2 nights in a 2 bed unit in Pac Soleil in 2015 and now its $598!!!!!

We are fighting for a principle - will the cost of those 2 days bankrupt me?....that is not the point. Whether you have used Open Season in the past you may in the future or your children may if they inherit it. So get involved.

So I urge you all again to tweet HGVC and Hilton
Post comments on the HGVC Facebook wall
and email Barbara asking for an understanding, facts and ACTION to stop the rip off

Who is up for the challenge again?

Barbara Rinks
Sr. Director - Owner and Club Services
brinks@hgvc.com

Hi,

As you may be aware. HGVC have announced a new variable price hike to the Open Season rates by 100% from 2014 to 2015 even after a considerable increase in 2014. The rates are allocated with a massive price bracket without any explanation or justication to allow anyone to understand in advance what the rate may be, after all I thought that is what HGVC had silver, gold and platinum for! So there was clarity for us all. This is a major change to the system. Please take a minute to read, understand and take action.

I have added another post with a sample letter on this thread if you need a time saver.

Whether you have never used the Open season, occasionally or a lot. It is crucial that we are not passive to this change to double the rates. We all expect from time to time that prices will increase we see that with our dues but to double the open season rates is unacceptable and disgraceful. It demonstrates a view that Hilton has of its customers and one that if we let ride on this occasion will soon creep into other areas, yearly dues, food, drinks.

I read many posts voicing disappointment about the change so let's do something about it!

I am sure like lots of us our jobs involve dealing with customers who on earth would think doubling prices from one year to the next was ok needs their head examining. They claim it is to be inline with other hotels in the area, I don't buy that even the Waldorf doesn't charge as much admittedly maybe with a smaller room, but the current system has also minimised empty rooms too for Hilton.

I rang up HGVC to get an understanding of the new system and wanted to know how to understand the variances. For example in Gold season a 2 bed apartment could cost another between $135 and $270 but how did I know what this was based on? occupancy? Time of year? They couldn't give me send answer and the advisor told me they didn't know themselves but suggested I email in. If they don't know how are we supposed too!

So not only is the increase insulting to us all but it is badly thought out without any real logic applied to how any why it is done. We now have no certainty of what the rates will be and that was the fundamental aspect of the system.

CALL TO ACTION Please take 5 minutes to email input@hgvc.com voicing your disapproval in the change in the strongest possible terms. 5 voices may be brushed aside but 500 would be much harder to do and if possible post those comments to the Facebook page and Twitter account of HGVC. They have so far ignored many of the posts and hope it will go away. Let's make sure it doesn't.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
So I went to add on 2 days to a points reservation but amongst the rates was 2 nights at Parc Soleil for $598!!!! for a 2 bed unit. I expect there to be small increases but this again is scandalous and HGVC have clearly hoped why we weren't looking that would seek to take advantage......

That’s probably due to the ridiculous unit type permutations at Parc Soleil. :mad:

Unlike the other Orlando resorts (SeaWorld and Tuscany) which only offer a single standard category per unit size, Parc Soleil has higher level categories for each unit size with increasing cost (costing HGVC members either more points or more cash). It’s basically a ripoff so I would make sure you book the standard two bedroom at the Orlando resorts if you want the better deal.

A “standard” two bedroom in Platinum Season during Open Season, will cost you the following plus tax:
  • In 2015, $145 per night for Monday - Thursday and $170 per night for Friday - Saturday
  • In 2018, $185 per night for Monday - Thursday and $211 per night for Friday - Saturday

2018 OPEN SEASON RATES for Orlando

E995C72C-ABAE-4036-8135-19987D273238.jpeg

2015 OPEN SEASON RATES

81D77C58-7597-4280-A743-E85D67108762.jpeg

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't think they will lower any fees.. they are a public company and want to show revenue growth. ..that being said a 2br normal is rentable for equivalent of around 19 cents a point. ..which when looked at that way isn't terrible. . It just isn't a screaming bargain. .

(My mf at bay club run mid 20s a point so I still end up ahead paying cash vs using points ).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

USDave

Reaction score
That’s probably due to the ridiculous unit type permutations at Parc Soleil. :mad:

Unlike the other Orlando resorts (SeaWorld and Tuscany) which only offer a single standard category per unit size, Parc Soleil has higher level categories for each unit size with increasing cost (costing HGVC members either more points or more cash). It’s basically a ripoff so I would make sure you book the standard two bedroom at the Orlando resorts if you want the better deal.

A “standard” two bedroom in Platinum Season during Open Season, will cost you the following plus tax:
  • In 2015, $145 per night for Monday - Thursday and $170 per night for Friday - Saturday
  • In 2018, $185 per night for Monday - Thursday and $211 per night for Friday - Saturday

2018 OPEN SEASON RATES for Orlando

2015 OPEN SEASON RATES

That is a very good point and is an extreme example and the cost can't be justified. so really need to keep on at them to avoid these hikes!

USDave

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't think they will lower any fees.. they are a public company and want to show revenue growth. ..that being said a 2br normal is rentable for equivalent of around 19 cents a point. ..which when looked at that way isn't terrible. . It just isn't a screaming bargain. .

(My mf at bay club run mid 20s a point so I still end up ahead paying cash vs using points ).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

But Jason - that is what people said in 2015 that they wouldn't back down or change it but that is exactly what they did.......the key is public pressure in an age of social media companies have to react but it isn't hidden any longer.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
That is a very good point and is an extreme example and the cost can't be justified. so really need to keep on at them to avoid these hikes!

JMHO... I suggest starting a new thread with a link to this old 2015 thread otherwise this new 2018 charge will simply get lost since it’s buried on page 7 of this 2015 cause.

It will also be helpful to clearly state your case (expected outcome and why).

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Yes, they backed down prior but quickly went back up in price thinking we did not notice.

They will continue raising rates as long as the customers pay these amounts, supply and demand.

Wheras the open season benefit is not what it was originally, this shows that a system can change at any time. For those who purchased to get the great open season rates disapointment is real.

Still think buy exactly where and when you want to travel even in a system so if things change you are still happy.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
JMHO... I suggest starting a new thread with a link to this old 2015 thread otherwise this new 2018 charge will simply get lost since it’s buried on page 7 of this 2015 cause.

It will also be helpful to clearly state your case (expected outcome and why).

THIS MAY BE A WEBSITE MISTAKE: Last December I went on line to add 2 nights via Open Season adjacent to an existing reservation and saw some prices extremely higher for some nights in the same resort than others. I called the call center and the first representative I spoke to couldn't explain. I called up again and the call center representative recognized the problem and then let me book the nights at the published rates. It was a mistake and the call center representative recognized and handled the problem appropriately. She also contacted the IT people to correct the website.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
If it’s a website problem, 6 months is a long time for the HGVC website to be charging members incorrect rates :wall:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
If it’s a website problem, 6 months is a long time for the HGVC website to be charging members incorrect rates :wall:

The mistake wasn't a "website problem" it was a particular room type in the Grand Islander that had the wrong open season dollar amount for that room stay. The rest of the open season rates were fine. I never checked back to see if they fixed it or was it a recurring problem.

As far as the time for HGVC to fix website problems. I reported a problem to them last spring about extending stays beyond 26 days. The problem still exists. When I called the call center I got it extended but the representative stated that others had no problem extending vacations beyond 26 days. Then I started to e-mail. It took 3 e-mails before I got to someone at HGVC who understood the problem and didn't respond with an answer like you can't extend a vacation for that long, or that the website has a problem with extending stays on line so you need to do it by calling in.

They reported yesterday that they are working on the problem and hope to have it fixed next week. I will see the next time I need to extend a vacation beyond 26 days.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still think buy exactly where and when you want to travel even in a system so if things change you are still happy.

Respectfully disagree. While anything could change, I don't think that being able to book other resorts will change any time soon. Still happy to own Vegas points and use them in Hawai'i :)

And the "when" is not relevant since points are just points.

Cheers.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I didn't buy-in for the OS "benefit." I used it 1x in 11 years.
If I'm paying cash, I compare HGVC to other hotel rooms +"suites."
Often, I find other Hilton properties or even Marriotts w-better deals.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I didn't buy-in for the OS "benefit." I used it 1x in 11 years.
If I'm paying cash, I compare HGVC to other hotel rooms +"suites."
Often, I find other Hilton properties or even Marriotts w-better deals.

Thats the same for me. Since my wife and are still working, there only a limited number of HGVC locations we would book on short notice for open season anyways. In any event once i am paying cash, i will place some value on the daily housekeeping and loyalty points i could earn staying at a hotel.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
HGVC has lost me as an OS customer with their games since 2015.
I have way too many options in RCI, SFX and II to bother with this anymore.
I get an AC for pretty much anything I throw into II these days and a full week
at a comparable competitor suits me just fine over just 2 over priced OS nights.

I'm sorry to see the benefit go, but apparently they are not, so they can keep it.
I am sad to see it gone with the SW Florida properties but then again I can still
use my points in the club as I originally intended.

So goes the never ending game of developer devaluation of our products.
Apparently they could care less if they have cheer leaders or not.
I'll certainly share my disdain in the hot tub with anyone who will listen. ;)