• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Crucial change to HGVC - We must take action, stand together and be heard

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It would seem to me that Open Season inventory probably has a lot to do with the ability of HGVC owners to cancel reservations (either Club or Home) at the 30 day mark without incurring a points penalty. If we wait until 30 days out to cancel our fixed week @ Regency, it automatically becomes Open Season inventory, and we still have our points to use for another interval or exchange.

That having been said, @Tamaraderann indicates that the same inventory is available during Club Season (at the target resorts). That would indicate to me that the intervals are not fixed, and that owners have not reserved their time. Exchangers may be playing "roulette" with their points, hoping (or assuming) that OS will allow them to bag a choice week for a small investment of $s. The system kind of makes sense to me. Perhaps, the HGVC logic is to drive those people to make their commitments earlier, thus stabilizing the inventory.

The downside to trying to stabilize the inventory is simply that people who choose to wait until late in the game may not see any availability once it becomes less cost effective to wait.

I don't know what the ultimate solution is! My upset comes from a LARGE increase with little or no notice and no real explanation why.

Maybe, HGVC should implement a sliding scale for OS reservations, e.g., at 30 days, you pay $200; at 14 days, you pay $100; @ 5 days, you pay $50. Again, counterintuitive, but more like the actual rental market. If you are not renting it, you drop the price. The people who wait take a chance on getting a good deal or missing out completely. Interesting?

Perhaps, if there was some indication (other than greed) as to why this change could make things better for a significant segment of owners, it would be easier to swallow. The lack of transparency relegates the decision to an indication of greed and lack of concern. That should really be the focus of our upset.

On reflecting, I think that HGVC's prompt answers to my messages (ALL of them) may indicate that they know they blew it and are trying to make amends of some sort. I guess I can hope!!

Tom

You do realize that some don't book HGVC locations for a whole week at a time and instead book partial weeks of 3-6 days correct? That is where the gaps come into play. (E.g. I book a fri - mon reservation and someone else books a Thur to sun reservation leaving tues and Wed open and not availabel for club season due to being less than 3 nights).

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, which weeks are inventory owned by HGVC?

They pay hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not millions) of MF for all the units they own (the ones they keep trying to sell to people and the ones they use to generate the bonus points).

It's pretty obvious which weeks are HGVC owned...they're on hilton.com...

Just picking random dates in January 2015, there is no availability at Lagoon Tower or Grand Waikikian under Open Season, but hilton.com is selling 1-br units at HGVC Hilton Hawaiian Village for $389 a night. If they put them on Open Season they'd have to sell them for much less under the old rate chart. So they're skipping that and selling them for retail on hilton.com If they're able to get the increased Open Season rates past us, I think they'll then list them both on hilton.com and Open Season at the same retail rates.

toontoy

Reaction score
I called and emailed and even posted on Facebook and I received the same canned answer.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just picking random dates in January 2015, there is no availability at Lagoon Tower or Grand Waikikian under Open Season, but hilton.com is selling 1-br units at HGVC Hilton Hawaiian Village for $389 a night. If they put them on Open Season they'd have to sell them for much less under the old rate chart. So they're skipping that and selling them for retail on hilton.com If they're able to get the increased Open Season rates past us, I think they'll then list them both on hilton.com and Open Season at the same retail rates.

Pick a week in April and look again. Look at December next year, look at thanksgiving. Strange, if Hilton was reserving weeks and "stealing" them from owners, then those are the weeks they would reserve and rent out, list them ASAP... They arn't... how strange.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Good Answer George

That is a good answer to Jason. May I add that any inventory that is listed in the club reservation inventory while it is also listed in the Open Season Inventory is owner/member inventory and should be at the old/current lower open season rates.

I don't think they will be getting to the point of making the Hilton.com rates the same a Open Season Rates, but they have already indicated that they would be listing the availability on Open Season at a discount, even though very small discount, off the market rack rate. That is not acceptable for owner/member inventory.

USDave

Reaction score
A Hilton response whilst still side stepping the main issue.

So I emailed and got the canned response however I emailed back and then in fairness to Barbie Rinks she emailed me back.

My response back to the canned response was

Hi Barbara,

It is disappointing that your reply is a standard fob off.

You indicate you will let us know the status of the 2015 increases when will this be?

Do you genuinely believe a 100% increase in Open Season rates can be justified in any way?

Could you give me any other examples of another multinational company trying to implement 100% year on year?

Is Kim Robert Kreiger personally aware of this issue?

Take a look at TUG BBS to see the strength of feeling about this.

This is a PR disaster for HGVC please let decency and common sense prevail.

If you could reply to my individual questions it would be appreciated.

Barbie responded

I am sorry for your disappointment with my response. Communication regarding Open Season will be provided in the near future. An exact rollout date has not been determined.

In some cases, a 100% increase can be justified. Open Season rates have not changed in several years and as a result have not kept up with the diversity of accommodations available through HGV. The costs associated with the occupancy of a one-bedroom in Hawaii or New York do not compare with those in Myrtle Beach or even Orlando, so paying the same rate for both is not justified.

I am not qualified to answer your question about other multinational companies, as I have not personally studied that.

Kim Kreiger is aware and your feedback has been shared with him.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Barbie Rinks

So I responded

Thank you Barbie for coming back to me. I do appreciate that.

I do understand there is a commercial value and basics of supply and demand that there will always mean Hawaii and New York have a higher commercial value to HGVC particularly against the wider market in those locations. However part of that pitfall is of HGVC own doing.

Did nobody see that when the open season was created? This is pretty basic stuff.

I expect there to be price increases over time that is just life, but even for those areas 100% is extreme and creates bad feeling and distrust. There is better ways to generate revenues.

I run a business and we run a price increase programme considering the balance between commercial necessity, profit and yes what won't cause uproar.

Clearly on the last point this has failed without question.

Who actually decided on even that basis alone this would be a good idea?

There are lots of ways to generate further income and when the rates are in some cases more expense than the resort hotel rates that sticks in people's throats. Why not promise to be 35% cheaper than the best online rate ever for that date for those resorts. If it will predominately affect those resorts why not spell that out and take away the horrendous table that leaves people guessing. What you may gain in people planning more you will lose in referrals and good will from customers. I see people thinking about a family get together and now worrying if they can afford it because of a sudden change.

I would urge yourself and Kim to read the TUG boards and if people have it wrong then tell them but when there is a vacuum of communication it creates uncertainty and that is exactly what people don't want. The whole system is based on if you stay in X resort at Y time of year you will pay Z.

You know what those rates are given any time of year and we all know where we stand. I appreciate that the open season may get used more particularly by retired people who have the flexibility and may have started to use this instead of points but it does help in many resorts with lower occupancy levels.

I do know NY and Hawaii could sell out many times over but as those rooms are "paid for" for those weeks by MF's so why is there a real need for the increase? Isn't this just bonus money? If I can get a real reason then it will help us to actually understand.

I do love the resorts, many of the fabulous staff but with nearly 10,000 views on 2 threads and Facebook posts and tweets this will also put people off buying and none of us want that it doesn't help anyone,

I would urge you to get Kim around a table with the senior team quickly and say this ain't working. How do we fix it? How do we communicate it? How do we get back to a simple table/grid that takes away the guessing? Not just for the club members but even the reservations staff don't understand it! Then how do we ensure we communicate with all our members to calm the waters.

If Kim wishes to consult and stand up and be counted then ask him to join the debate it is not a lions den. I know not everyone will agree but he will get credit for facing the issue.

Boston Red Sox owner John Henry met supporter groups in the past and even has had online conversations.

Do you think the new OS table is easy to understand or does it create more questions that answers? Questions that your own staff can't answer. It may as well just have a huge question mark on it.

I then got this response from Barbie

I assure you I have shared your feedback with the Club Executive Team. There is no further information I am able to provide relating to this matter.

Thank you for writing. I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year.

Sincerely,

Barbie Rinks
T 407-722-3198 | F 407-722-3177
6355 MetroWest Blvd., Suite 180
Orlando, FL 32835
brinks@hgvc.com

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I emailed and got the canned response however I emailed back and then in fairness to Barbie Rinks she emailed me back.

My response back to the canned response was

Hi Barbara,

It is disappointing that your reply is a standard fob off.

You indicate you will let us know the status of the 2015 increases when will this be?

Do you genuinely believe a 100% increase in Open Season rates can be justified in any way?

Could you give me any other examples of another multinational company trying to implement 100% year on year?

Is Kim Robert Kreiger personally aware of this issue?

Take a look at TUG BBS to see the strength of feeling about this.

This is a PR disaster for HGVC please let decency and common sense prevail.

If you could reply to my individual questions it would be appreciated.

Barbie responded

I am sorry for your disappointment with my response. Communication regarding Open Season will be provided in the near future. An exact rollout date has not been determined.

In some cases, a 100% increase can be justified. Open Season rates have not changed in several years and as a result have not kept up with the diversity of accommodations available through HGV. The costs associated with the occupancy of a one-bedroom in Hawaii or New York do not compare with those in Myrtle Beach or even Orlando, so paying the same rate for both is not justified.

I am not qualified to answer your question about other multinational companies, as I have not personally studied that.

Sincerely,

Barbie Rinks

So I responded

Thank you Barbie for coming back to me. I do appreciate that.

I do understand there is a commercial value and basics of supply and demand that there will always mean Hawaii and New York have a higher commercial value to HGVC particularly against the wider market in those locations. However part of that pitfall is of HGVC own doing.

Did nobody see that when the open season was created? This is pretty basic stuff.

I expect there to be price increases over time that is just life, but even for those areas 100% is extreme and creates bad feeling and distrust. There is better ways to generate revenues.

I run a business and we run a price increase programme considering the balance between commercial necessity, profit and yes what won't cause uproar.

Clearly on the last point this has failed without question.

Who actually decided on even that basis alone this would be a good idea?

There are lots of ways to generate further income and when the rates are in some cases more expense than the resort hotel rates that sticks in people's throats. Why not promise to be 35% cheaper than the best online rate ever for that date for those resorts. If it will predominately affect those resorts why not spell that out and take away the horrendous table that leaves people guessing. What you may gain in people planning more you will lose in referrals and good will from customers. I see people thinking about a family get together and now worrying if they can afford it because of a sudden change.

I would urge yourself and Kim to read the TUG boards and if people have it wrong then tell them but when there is a vacuum of communication it creates uncertainty and that is exactly what people don't want. The whole system is based on if you stay in X resort at Y time of year you will pay Z.

You know what those rates are given any time of year and we all know where we stand. I appreciate that the open season may get used more particularly by retired people who have the flexibility and may have started to use this instead of points but it does help in many resorts with lower occupancy levels.

I do know NY and Hawaii could sell out many times over but as those rooms are "paid for" for those weeks by MF's so why is there a real need for the increase? Isn't this just bonus money? If I can get a real reason then it will help us to actually understand.

I do love the resorts, many of the fabulous staff but with nearly 10,000 views on 2 threads and Facebook posts and tweets this will also put people off buying and none of us want that it doesn't help anyone,

I would urge you to get Kim around a table with the senior team quickly and say this ain't working. How do we fix it? How do we communicate it? How do we get back to a simple table/grid that takes away the guessing? Not just for the club members but even the reservations staff don't understand it! Then how do we ensure we communicate with all our members to calm the waters.

If Kim wishes to consult and stand up and be counted then ask him to join the debate it is not a lions den. I know not everyone will agree but he will get credit for facing the issue.

Boston Red Sox owner John Henry met supporter groups in the past and even has had online conversations.

Do you think the new OS table is easy to understand or does it create more questions that answers? Questions that your own staff can't answer. It may as well just have a huge question mark on it.

I then got this response from Barbie

I assure you I have shared your feedback with the Club Executive Team. There is no further information I am able to provide relating to this matter.

Thank you for writing. I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year.

Sincerely,

Barbie Rinks
T 407-722-3198 | F 407-722-3177
6355 MetroWest Blvd., Suite 180
Orlando, FL 32835
brinks@hgvc.com

I think it is great that they are responding at all. I know that it isn't an answer we would like to see, but it is an answer.

I can only hope that they start being a little more transparent.

TTom

Reaction score
Let's give Barbie credit

I'm sure some of this comes wih the position, but she seems to be trying and, at least, she has indicated that this is visible at the executive level. Beyond that, I don't know what she can do.

Philosophically, if HGVC screwed up by not addressing discrepancies in OS rates, they are taking a big risk by attempting a "broad brush," immediate solution to a long term problem, largely of their own making. That makes the solution seem arrogant and uncaring. There are probably a number of ways they could have accomplished their goal without arrousing member anger, even if it might have taken a while longer to get there.

Oh well, they will do what they will do and we will do what we will.

Happy New Year!

Tom

piyooshj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice work Jason. There is discrepancy in demand supply for some markets and that ought to be fixed. I am not an avid user of OS as my schedule is not fixed. I am sure there are some/few users who benefit the most from OS.

At the end if these increase in OS decreases MFs for everyone so that it is more equitable I am happy. But if only goes towards the profit of corp.....its another story.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice work Jason. There is discrepancy in demand supply for some markets and that ought to be fixed. I am not an avid user of OS as my schedule is not fixed. I am sure there are some/few users who benefit the most from OS.

At the end if these increase in OS decreases MFs for everyone so that it is more equitable I am happy. But if only goes towards the profit of corp.....its another story.

As much as i would like to take credit for the work of another, it was not me, I was just quoting USDave

It has already been confirmed that revenue from OS does not go to HOA.

nlehvac

Reaction score
I'm sure some of this comes wih the position, but she seems to be trying and, at least, she has indicated that this is visible at the executive level. Beyond that, I don't know what she can do.

Philosophically, if HGVC screwed up by not addressing discrepancies in OS rates, they are taking a big risk by attempting a "broad brush," immediate solution to a long term problem, largely of their own making. That makes the solution seem arrogant and uncaring. There are probably a number of ways they could have accomplished their goal without arrousing member anger, even if it might have taken a while longer to get there.

Oh well, they will do what they will do and we will do what we will.

Happy New Year!

Tom

I was also glad to see a "real" response from Barbie, even if not all questions could be answered. I'm sure she isn't in a position to do so until further executive discussion. I think I mentioned the other day that as Barbie indicates, there are what could be considered rational reasons for this system, and if the system had STARTED this way, there would probably have never been this problem. However, as you point out, trying to fix it in one giant step is NOT the way to do it. Even health insurance companies know they can only go so far per year!! Hopefully, someone there WILL look at the BB, as I think several alternatives have been suggested. Of course, since they have more info than we, some may not be workable for one reason or another. However, I think there may be some cracks of light appearing. Notice she now states they don't know when it will be implemented. Maybe this run up the flagpole has shown it needs to be taken down and another approach taken. I had HOPED she'd indicate some plan to include some member(s) in the executive discussion before actions are taken. When my college campus "blew up" in the 60's, an elected undergrad was included on the board of trustees from then on to bring their point of view to decisions. It may be time for HGVC to do the same.

USDave

Reaction score
It's a human response but only a start

So Barbie responded why shouldn't she that's her job and we are club members. I am glad she did but it is not a cause for celebration as such. I know I sm hard to please!

Are we any further on? No not really, nothing has changed.

We can't settle for "well we tried and we told them" mentality. I read a post by George on the other thread that said all timeshare companies will do it either sell up or live with it.

I couldn't disagree more. WE CAN AFFECT this situation.

We now know that Kim Krieger Snr VP at HGVC is personally aware and so is the executive team and whilst they may not want to be rushed if 10,000 views of a topic don't get you moving very rapidly then we needs to INCREASE THE MOMENTUM not take our foot off the gas!!

I am not talking pie in the sky here I have worked at an exec level and know that things reach a tipping point and companies hold out trying to take the sting out and see if they get away with it later on.

When you get paid the big bucks you have to step up to the plate to answer and deal with customer opinion. We are not being aggressive or rude but we are asking for answers and asking them to explain and justify the decisions.

Barbie was kind enough to respond and we have her telephone number and email address to be able to contact her. SO LET'S DO IT. Do we really just except the canned response? Do they actually know the strength of feeling? Let us leave this in NO DOUBT. This ain't about Barbie at all but about Kim not dealing with this swiftly and taking away uncertainty. However it is part of Kim's job remit to deal and respond to these issues.

They could come out and say we got this wrong we are doing XYZ about it and we will come back to you with a new OS table in 2 weeks. So we need action and decisions if the can't make a decision at the level quickly then they shouldn't be in post.

I do appreciate they may be thinking we made a hash of it first time so we must get it right but get a move on!

CALL TO ACTION
Keeping the momentum please continue to post on Facebook but Twitter as well but not just the overall HGVC Twitter and Facebook but the resorts too especially the newer ones. I would suggest you give your view but also pose questions.

If you get a canned response and for those that have - challenge it!

If you are reading these posts as a prospective buyer as I was before I bought JOIN IN - Let Hilton know that this change impacts your view of HGVC. All this uncertainty creates instability and instability has an impact on sales.

Steel yourself for a challenge it can't simply be that I've sent it and let's hope.

Let's create the tipping point.

It is not aggressive or rude it is just right thing to do.

USDave

Reaction score
Funnily enough I have only used OS for a few days and was planning to again this year but to me it is not really about how much you actually use it......

TTom

Reaction score
More thoughts

I have also not used OS much, but am upset by the way the situation was handled.

I have already thought about contacting the resorts where I own to express my displeasure with this and how it might conceivably impact their reservations.

I guess I am always skeptical about large corporations (or anyone, for that matter) taking the time to respond to people who are not standing in front of them (including the customer service or support people on the phone who pay lip service, but never really do anything). For that reason alone, I am grateful for Barbie's attempt to respond, as feeble as it may have been to the overall situation.

I guess we will see how Kim and the rest of senior management at HGVC respond. We should definitely be prepared to continue the discourse, but we also need to give them a chance to do something. It is, after all, the holiday season, and the start of a new year. Unlikely that the executive leadership of HGVC considers this enough of a crisis to move in a matter of hours or days.

That is not to say that we should not expect something from them in a matter of a week or two, even if it is only an announcement that they will be making an announcement.

Tom

jestme

Reaction score
Barbie responded

Sincerely,

Barbie Rinks
My response to Barbie would be:
Barbie,
FYI, Open Season rates went up 70% last year as well, in the same way. No prior announcement, no explanation, etc. Also, you should understand that the HOA at the local resort pays for the costs, not HGVC. Therefore, any associated costs for Hawaii or NY you refer to are irrelevant to these new charges. Those additional costs are already built into the MF's at the resorts. Perhaps, if HGVC wants to share ALL the Open Season revenue with the HOA to offset the additional costs, then those who own at the " high demand" resorts might be more receptive. They currently carry the costs, without any revenue to offset it.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
So Barbie responded why shouldn't she that's her job and we are club members. I am glad she did but it is not a cause for celebration as such. I know I sm hard to please!

Are we any further on? No not really, nothing has changed.

We can't settle for "well we tried and we told them" mentality. I read a post by George on the other thread that said all timeshare companies will do it either sell up or live with it.

I couldn't disagree more. WE CAN AFFECT this situation.

We now know that Kim Krieger Snr VP at HGVC is personally aware and so is the executive team and whilst they may not want to be rushed if 10,000 views of a topic don't get you moving very rapidly then we needs to INCREASE THE MOMENTUM not take our foot off the gas!!

I am not talking pie in the sky here I have worked at an exec level and know that things reach a tipping point and companies hold out trying to take the sting out and see if they get away with it later on.

When you get paid the big bucks you have to step up to the plate to answer and deal with customer opinion. We are not being aggressive or rude but we are asking for answers and asking them to explain and justify the decisions.

Barbie was kind enough to respond and we have her telephone number and email address to be able to contact her. SO LET'S DO IT. Do we really just except the canned response? Do they actually know the strength of feeling? Let us leave this in NO DOUBT. This ain't about Barbie at all but about Kim not dealing with this swiftly and taking away uncertainty. However it is part of Kim's job remit to deal and respond to these issues.

They could come out and say we got this wrong we are doing XYZ about it and we will come back to you with a new OS table in 2 weeks. So we need action and decisions if the can't make a decision at the level quickly then they shouldn't be in post.

I do appreciate they may be thinking we made a hash of it first time so we must get it right but get a move on!

CALL TO ACTION
Keeping the momentum please continue to post on Facebook but Twitter as well but not just the overall HGVC Twitter and Facebook but the resorts too especially the newer ones. I would suggest you give your view but also pose questions.

If you get a canned response and for those that have - challenge it!

If you are reading these posts as a prospective buyer as I was before I bought JOIN IN - Let Hilton know that this change impacts your view of HGVC. All this uncertainty creates instability and instability has an impact on sales.

Steel yourself for a challenge it can't simply be that I've sent it and let's hope.

Let's create the tipping point.

It is not aggressive or rude it is just right thing to do.

Barbara has been very responsive to my e-mails in the last month. I was the first one to bring this up to the HGVC Elite Group call center at 8:05 on the morning of December 4th. They gave me Barbara's e-mail and I wrote to her later that morning. She called me back early that afternoon. I sent this e-mail to Barbara a few days ago. Her response was the same as you got Dave. She indicated that she was forwarding my comments to Executive Management and they are working on the issue and will be sending out a decision on Open Season Rates.

By the way when I called the call center on December 4th it was to book January 1st and 2nd at a 1 BR+ at the Hokolani in Honolulu for $305. I have never stayed at the Hokolani so it was something that I was looking forward to. I initially thought that the website must be wrong since it was charging me $570. Well I am leaving tomorrow morning to stay at the Hokolani for $305. I will then be moving to the HHV on January 3rd. I will probably not be on the website for some days until I get settled.

Hi Barbara,
I have watched the open season availability specifically in Honolulu and Miami South Beach over a period of time. It appears to me that the open season availability is the availability in Club Reservation Season that wasn't reserved by owners/members by the 30 day check-in date. The HGVC statement that was placed on social media sites indicates that the open season availability is primarily derived from members depositing their points for Partner Perks.

What is the the derivation of the Open Season Availability?

Areas with very limited availability like Honolulu and Miami South Beach and perhaps Big Island are the only ones that the true derivation of open season availability really matters since they will be the ones to have increased open season rates. Many of the other resorts have so much availability that just getting the rooms filled at any price is an accomplishment.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My follow-up to Barbara's Last Response

Hi Barbara,

You have been very helpful in addressing this issue. However, the question on derivation of Open Season Availability does not appear to be one in which Executive Management needs to huddle to come up with a new policy. It should be a matter of record. HGVC made a statement on the derivation of Open Season Availability. One of the areas that I am particular interested in the derivation of open season availability is Honolulu and South Beach. These are also one of the main areas which were to be effected by the raising of open season rates.

Please be sure that Executive Management addresses this particular point in their statement and policy revision.

nlehvac

Reaction score
Who is on the HGVC Exec committee?

Just wondering ... are any HOA presidents (or other officers -- like a specific "liason officer") on that committee?

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wondering ... are any HOA presidents (or other officers -- like a specific "liason officer") on that committee?

Kim is on the board of all the HGVC properties... since none of the open season revenue goes to the Association, the only thing you can do is threaton to remove HGVC as management of a resort (not likely to be feasable unless you own an affiliate, and even then, it is an empty threat given the muscle that HGVC has).

nlehvac

Reaction score
Exec committee makeup

Kim is on the board of all the HGVC properties... since none of the open season revenue goes to the Association, the only thing you can do is threaton to remove HGVC as management of a resort (not likely to be feasable unless you own an affiliate, and even then, it is an empty threat given the muscle that HGVC has).

That's the reverse direction, though. Even if he knew last April when my HOA met that this was in the wind, he was not required to mention it. If it was reversed, the committee would get feedback on what current member reaction might be OR, as it has been pointed out, losing out a "selling point" which could help them sell more weeks directly, or decreasing the number of referrals to new possible members by current members. They might have gotten these views which may have been missing at the policy meeting(s) that basically tend to include company lawyers and bean counters only looking from one side of the equation. We have to remember $$ is what it all comes down to.

PS Unless I found an outdated page showing the membership of the Executive Committee, Kim Kreiger is not on it. I also found this paragraph in a Jan 2014 "New Year's Greeting" from him I don't think I noticed before ...

"We continue to see strong demand for Open Season reservations and simply want to offer the reminder that this travel option offers last-minute access to unreserved or cancelled accommodations. Rates vary by property, unit type and season. If you're able to travel within a 30-day window, and you are flexible enough to select from available resorts, Open Season reservations are a great option to consider."

Interesting, no?

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the reverse direction, though. Even if he knew last April when my HOA met that this was in the wind, he was not required to mention it. If it was reversed, the committee would get feedback on what current member reaction might be OR, as it has been pointed out, losing out a "selling point" which could help them sell more weeks directly, or decreasing the number of referrals to new possible members by current members. They might have gotten these views which may have been missing at the policy meeting(s) that basically tend to include company lawyers and bean counters only looking from one side of the equation. We have to remember $$ is what it all comes down to.

I am confused as to what you are getting at. HOA has as much say in HGVC exchange system decisions as it does in RCI (none).

The only thing an HOA can decide on is whether it wants to participate in those systems (or so I thought).

nlehvac

Reaction score
I am confused as to what you are getting at. HOA has as much say in HGVC exchange system decisions as it does in RCI (none).

The only thing an HOA can decide on is whether it wants to participate in those systems (or so I thought).
I see what you mean - a particular resort could revolt and decide to "go it alone" or decide to go Mariott for management? I guess I do have it backwards. Just thought as a way of "good client relations," if indeed the HOA's are only "clients," they might want to know their opinion. Just like my university decided it was a good idea to have THEIR clients (the students) on the board to express that point of view. Those clients could certainly go elsewhere!

BTW ... I see now the board I was able to find was Hilton Int'l, not HGVC. The only site I found that tried to show the HGVC committees without spending all day looking said the info was unavailable.

TTom

Reaction score
HOA Voice

While the individual HOA's may have little or no voice in HGVC's decisions, it could not help for them (who, after all, represent a significant portion of HGVC's owners) to voice the collected opinion of their owners.

If, instead of just "bolting" from HGVC, the resorts saw a spike in resales (not that I expect that to happen), they might have a vested interest in applying pressure to HGVC to do something to stem the tide of individual owners jumping ship.

In any case, it cannot hurt for us to express our concern to anyone who might be inclined to listen.

Tom

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see what you mean - a particular resort could revolt and decide to "go it alone" or decide to go Mariott for management? I guess I do have it backwards. Just thought as a way of "good client relations," if indeed the HOA's are only "clients," they might want to know their opinion. Just like my university decided it was a good idea to have THEIR clients (the students) on the board to express that point of view. Those clients could certainly go elsewhere!

BTW ... I see now the board I was able to find was Hilton Int'l, not HGVC. The only site I found that tried to show the HGVC committees without spending all day looking said the info was unavailable.

There is a link (the website is down, otherwise I would give it to you) on the HGVClub site that gives all the legal disclaimers (PDF file dozens of pages long) regarding rules and regs and key people for HGVC.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
While the individual HOA's may have little or no voice in HGVC's decisions, it could not help for them (who, after all, represent a significant portion of HGVC's owners) to voice the collected opinion of their owners.

If, instead of just "bolting" from HGVC, the resorts saw a spike in resales (not that I expect that to happen), they might have a vested interest in applying pressure to HGVC to do something to stem the tide of individual owners jumping ship.

In any case, it cannot hurt for us to express our concern to anyone who might be inclined to listen.

Tom

HGVC developed resorts would have a very hard time getting out of the HGVC system. Only the affiliates could do this, and even those might have a hard time since HGVC probably owns some significant number (for that resort) of time intervals at each of them that would give them a strong voice on the board.