• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CRAIGS LIST FOR TIMESHARES, open and read

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you folks have ever been to Craigs List, but if you haven't it's a great location to buy and sell EVERYTHING. No charge to list anything, and this website not only populates the entire United States, but all around the world!

The Timesharing business has become a big business, a very, very big business.

That said, it is my belief that it would be beneficial for everyone if Craigslist were to offer a dedicated "Timeshare" heading where owners could advertise their weeks for sale or for rent.

I have emailed Craigs List about this suggestion but to no avail.

I am asking all you TUGers to check out Craigslist and shoot them an email making the same suggestion if you agree with my observations.

By the way, you can advertise in Craigs List your Timeshares for sale under Real Estate, and for rent under Vacation Rentals, however I think it would be better for Timeshare owners to see a dedicated Timeshare category.

Feedback from anyone about this idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention this because just the other day I went to Craig's list for the first time looking for deals on T/S rentals and was surprised when I DIDN'T find a dedicated section to timeshare sales/rentals. I had to look a bit before I figured it out, so I definitely agree with you.

Timeshare sales and rentals are only going to get more popular with the present economy and it would also help some people discover the joys of timesharing.

If it's easy to do and I can find it I will try to email craig's list and make this suggestion also.

Janna

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've posted available units on CL several times, even at rock bottom prices. Never had any luck. Anyone had any luck?

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I never had luck renting mine on CL...I rarely rent but when I do its for a reasonably cheap rate. The only site I have had luck on was redweek. I have rented 5 weeks on that site as well as points.:cheer:

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I think that if there was a Timeshare section on craigslist, we would see a glut of timeshares and timeshare rentals, and that it would be harder to rent ours out. The more popular it is, the less effective it will be for us. I think it is fine the way it is (don't fix it if it isn't broken).

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only downside to Craigslist is that you are almost guaranteed to get scam emails. At least I always have.

My theory is to use all the major sites. "Though a rock in all directions and see who you hit". That maximizes chances IMHO.

Aussiedog

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
no luck

I have had no success renting my weeks on Craigslist, even with great prices and using the tips that TUGGERs have shared. But....Redweek rocks!

I would not mind a separate section on Craigslist for timeshares - I see Denise's point but I generally favor more efficient markets for all goods and services. If you look at their other ad sections they do not seem to be adverse to parsing other categories into very small pieces, so why not real estate?

Ann

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Why would you deliberately place a period and a blank space in the first line so that you can't see what the first line of the note is about by pointing at it? I figure you know what you were doing, since you said "Open and read" in your title. Therefore, know that I'll never answer a note that deliberately tries to make it more important than the rest.

JMHO, of course, and you'll get many other responses, but not mine.

Fern

Not sure how many of you folks have ever been to Craigs List, but if you haven't it's a great location to buy and sell EVERYTHING. No charge to list anything, and this website not only populates the entire United States, but all around the world!

The Timesharing business has become a big business, a very, very big business.

That said, it is my belief that it would be beneficial for everyone if Craigslist were to offer a dedicated "Timeshare" heading where owners could advertise their weeks for sale or for rent.

I have emailed Craigs List about this suggestion but to no avail.

I am asking all you TUGers to check out Craigslist and shoot them an email making the same suggestion if you agree with my observations.

By the way, you can advertise in Craigs List your Timeshares for sale under Real Estate, and for rent under Vacation Rentals, however I think it would be better for Timeshare owners to see a dedicated Timeshare category.

Feedback from anyone about this idea?

KevinRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had GREAT luck on Craigs list

I have had better luck renting units on Craigslist than on Redweek. I get a LOT of responses, the only problem is that many people keep asking me about other weeks, they don't get the fixed week concept.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had better luck renting units on Craigslist than on Redweek. I get a LOT of responses, the only problem is that many people keep asking me about other weeks, they don't get the fixed week concept.

are you posting in only one craigslist (one closest to your resort) or many? What are you posting, like a ski week?

richinfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Craigs list is a joke

I posted a platinum Grande Ocean Week for rent last year on Craigs List last year asking $2400. I did get a number of respones but most were from people crying poverty or those looking for desparate owners who needed rent money saying I only have $1000 for my vacation budget for my family of 5 will you accept something less.
Maybe some TUG users were lucky to a decent sale or renter but with my experience, let the lister beware of the Craigs List responses.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
There are things about Craig's List that defeat it's purpose, IMO, like not being able to place the same ad in multiple markets.

As an example, for Branson I would like to place ads in the markets where the renters/buyers are located, perhaps KC, St. Louis, OKC, Tulsa, Little Rock, but I can't do that.

The best I can do is put an ad in Springfield, the nearest market, and not one likely to be looked at for Branson. Or, select one and only one of the major markets.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Why would you deliberately place a period and a blank space in the first line so that you can't see what the first line of the note is about by pointing at it? I figure you know what you were doing, since you said "Open and read" in your title. Therefore, know that I'll never answer a note that deliberately tries to make it more important than the rest.

JMHO, of course, and you'll get many other responses, but not mine.

Fern

I'm sure it's a typo, so I'll fix it for the OP. ;) There was a misplaced space in the web addy for craigslist that I removed as well.

I am also curious about, "open and read." ???

Last edited:

KevinRS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the best luck close in

I post in the area closest to the area, Salt Lake City for my Park City weeks, Reno/Tahoe for my Tahoe Units, Vancouver for my Whistler weeks etc.

I have the best luck with less than 30 days prior to check in... I have rented a couple with only 1-2 days prior to check-in...

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
I placed three ads on Craig's list and another website sponsored by a local TV station.

I got a suspicious reply on one of the Craig's List ads, suggesting they had not even used the link I provided (and that's all the ad was, a link to another, detailed ad).

The 3 I placed on the other website all received the same scam email reply, which I forwarded on to the TV station.
- - - - - -
This morning I noticed that the Craig's List reply had left a letter out of their email address, which explains why it came back. I have since replied to the correct address.

Last edited:

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried selling a ts in the usual places and got no replies. I was asking thousands less than other ads - definitely the lowest price of all units. Got no replies. Had thousands (literally) of lookers at bidshares over a few months and had only 2 ridiculous bids. Maybe the low price was scaring people away.

Anyway, I place an ad on Craigslist and got a real hit right away. It's taken over a month so far, but the payment arrived before the contract did. Ready to go to closing now, as the signed contract just arrived yesterday.

I certainly would use Craigslist again - the price was right and I got a buyer.

Sue

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
spam from Craigslist ??

Only downside to Craigslist is that you are almost guaranteed to get scam emails. At least I always have.

My theory is to use all the major sites. "Though a rock in all directions and see who you hit". That maximizes chances IMHO.

I think this has to be repeated .... you will win MILLIONS from the scam and junk e-mail after just one post on Craigslist. It was a fair time ago - so I can
't remember if I was dumb enough to list my e-mail in the body ...think I did it ( myname@myisp.com vs using mynameNOSPAM@myisp.com )

The spam eventually tappers off ... what a mess .... I made a new e-mail and watch what I get on the older e-mail

Greg

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
One of my Craig's List ads is just a link to our ad on another site. Anything wrong with doing that?

LauraS93

Reaction score
Craigslist is a nice resource. I posted on it quite frequently last year and got lots of inquiries. No takers to rent my week 25 though. Like one of the pp said, they don't get the concept of fixed weeks. Lots of inquiries were to rent the week after mine, etc.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
To non-timeshare people, that would not be unusual.

To most people, owning a vacation rental means full-ownership. You know, lake house, cabin, condo, etc.?

Even here, with a glut of TS, that would be the case.

I put the specific dates in my ads. There being other vacation rentals in the same development and the area--TS, full, and fractional ownership--I said condo, not timeshare anything, condo being a more acceptable term to more of the public.

The ads have been in one day now and I haven't rented anything. :D

Lots of inquiries were to rent the week after mine, etc.

Last edited:

wbtimesharer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Craigslist is a nice resource. I posted on it quite frequently last year and got lots of inquiries. No takers to rent my week 25 though. Like one of the pp said, they don't get the concept of fixed weeks. Lots of inquiries were to rent the week after mine, etc.

I get about 1 - 2 rentals a month from it. Its weird but each cities Craigslist has a different rule about how long postings stay on the sight. I try to utilize cities in and around my resorts and I get a lot of last minute requests. I have also gotten some spam and some lookey lous.

I really would like to see a different approach to the 1 posting per city rule especially in vacation rentals. I don't thinka timeshare rental entry is needed as vacation rentals is fairly self explanatory and most vacations don't know and don't care that its a timeshare but just that its in a place they want to go.

Now a timeshare resale category would be very useful.

Bill

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Craigs List

Bill, I agree with you.

A "TIMESHARE RESALE" category would be extremely useful.

Here's hoping!

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Am I missing something?

I placed a real estate for sale and a vacation rental ad on Feb. 13. They are both now so buried--you have to go back 100s of listing and many pages to get to them--that I doubt that anyone is seeing them.

Is that the way it is, what people have to do on Craig's list to see your ad?

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
Am I missing something?

I placed a real estate for sale and a vacation rental ad on Feb. 13. They are both now so buried--you have to go back 100s of listing and many pages to get to them--that I doubt that anyone is seeing them.

You have to keep reposting. I repost my ads once a week.

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something?

It really depends on the area. Orlando is flooded, while Minnesota's list is rather short. I have had very good success on Craigslist. It seems that most serious inquiries come very close to check in date- a real nail biter. I had people responding up to the day of check in for my Las Vegas wk 52 ad.