• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Craigendarroch Questions

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Have some questions on buying at Craigendarroch.

1. Living in the US, are there any additional taxes buying or owning in Scotland above what we would pay here?

2. How does one start the process? I know brokers or transfer companies will usually take care of the transfer, but without a deed, how does that work? Could you use escrow?

3. What are the fees charged to purchase a week at Craigendarroch and how are they different than buying HGVC weeks here in the US?

4. Are all of the units at Craigendarroch HGVC or are some out the scope of the system? Is there an issue with anybody buying a non HGVC unit (like I have read about MarBrisa)?

5. Any other intricacies or anomalies other members have experienced buying and/or owning there?

6. Craigendarroch is an affiliate, correct?

7. Does Hilton have ROFR on Craigendarroch?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I want as much information on as many HGVC properties before we purchase. My wife and I view this purchase as 10-20 year investment don’t want have any do overs. You all have been so helpful and I appreciate all of your help!

Last edited:

Roamer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure I can answer all of your questions but I'll chip in what I can, starting with a bit of an email sent to me from the salesperson at Craigendarroch:

"Thanks for your enquiry. Lodge resales at Craigendarroch purchased through Hilton Grand Vacations count towards Elite Status. I currently have 7000 point weeks available for £5275 and 8400 point weeks for £6595.

Further Information.

7000 point week is a 2 Bedroom Platinum Week and the 2018 Maintenance Fee is £606.11.
8400 point week is a 3 Bedroom Platinum Week and the 2018 Maintenance Fee is £709.98.
Legal Fees ( Closing ) are £195 per week purchased.
There is a one time fee of £277 to add a week to your HGVClub membership.
If you are not an existing HGVClub member it costs £457 to join which includes your 1st years annual membership.
As a matter of interest the current annual membership of HGVClub is $204.

If you require more information or if I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind Regards
John Pringle

John Pringle
Sales Executive, Lodge Sales

T +44 (0) 13397 53454
Braemar Road, Ballater,
Royal Deeside, Scotland, AB35 5XA
E JPringle@hgvc.com W hiltongrandvacations.com"

1. I don't believe there are any additional taxes. I've bolded the transaction fees in the email above

2. You can contact John with the details above and that is an "official" resale in that it counts towards elite status, but you don't pay the full "new buyer" fee that you would at a presentation. Or you can contact a seller directly at the owners website http://www.craigendarroch.co.uk/sale.htm this will be cheaper to purchase and the fees and points will be the same but it will not count towards the elite status.

3. Fees are listed above, the only difference I'm aware of is they will be denominated in sterling and you pay a slightly higher ongoing annual fee for having an International membership.

4. I believe they are all HGVC units, albeit some are affiliates.

5. The only slight oddity I'm aware of is you pay for the electricity you use as a separate cost at the end of your stay. There are other quirks, but I couldn't say if they were different to elsewhere.

From this thread: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/elite-status-at-resale-prices.267443/
ConejoRed - "I own in Scotland and it is a perpetual right to use certificate. It made the purchase very easy (no deed) and there is no end date. Currently the exchange rate is favorable, but that could change, but the amount I saved up front will last me a while if it gets to an unfavorable position. The only quirk is that it is a fixed week and automatically reserved each year so you have to call HGVC to cancel it to revert it to points, but it is a simple call.
You have up until 30 days before the start of the fixed week to cancel and have the points go to your account. If you don’t cancel then you would just have the week to use, but you would then need to make travel arrangements on short notice. Depending on when your fixed week is, if it is close to the end of the year you may then need to roll them forward as well. Since I don’t plan to use my fixed week (although I have been to the resort, but used the points to stay in the Suites section), I just cancel it as soon as I am able to (you can do it about 18 months out I think) so I have the points available for other reservations."

On renting from Mosescan - "I own several. HGVC in Scotland will also rent your unit out for you. Their fee is 20% plus 4% VAT. Depending on what week you own you will cover your maintenance fees or make much more if you have a high season week. I’m currently trying to rent out my two summer weeks. "

6. Correct, Craigendarroch Lodges are an affiliate, the Suites are HGVC is my understanding.

7. No, there doesn't appear to be ROFR. Well not on the lodges, can't say for certain on the suites.

Caveat to say I have not bought there yet as I'd prefer the 9,600 points, but there is only one lodge which offers that and there is no availability at the moment. Pricing for the that lodge is:
Purchase 1 x 9600 point weeks ( 9600 points ) for £7,950 and Maintenance Fees £868.93

Hope this helps.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for replying, you did help a lot! I wonder if I purchase from a private seller, could I hire a transfer group like LT Transfer to help with the transaction even if there isn’t a deed involved? I guess I’m hung up on it not being a deed, but a certificate of holiday and how that’s affects the deal. I would be buying for the points, not the weeks at the resort and I’m not really all that’s concerned about elite status.

Maybe @Mosescan or @ConejoRed can shed some light on that. Someone in a different thread mentioned that LT Transfers were on TUG. Does anybody know what their user name might be? (I searched LT Transfers and a couple of variations with no luck).

alexb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Scotland,Marriott Grande Chateau,pga golf village
My understanding is there is no benefit to using a third party.
The transfer is done by the inhouse department at Craigendarroch Resort.
If you use anyone else they have to go through Craigendarroch and it adds in an extra cost.
I have bought 5 weeks at this resort with no problems at all.

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham
If you use anyone else they have to go through Craigendarroch and it adds in an extra cost.

I second this - no reason to use a transfer company. In my experience, the in-house department was competent and approachable when I bought my week resale.

Fees are listed above, the only difference I'm aware of is they will be denominated in sterling and you pay a slightly higher ongoing annual fee for having an International membership.

I might be wrong on this, but I think the higher ($204) international membership fee only applies to international HGVC members, and is not linked to a resort being located internationally.

Any other intricacies or anomalies other members have experienced buying and/or owning there?

Your fixed week is automatically booked for you and you have to call each year to convert it to points. Payment of maintenance fees is not handled by HGVC but directly by the resort - and they charge an extra fee for credit card payments. Not deal breakers in my opinion but thought you should know. The other "anomaly" is how approachable the resort is to owners - I've found it easy to speak to people in membership and finance when necessary, and can't say the same about HGVC.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

So private, non-HGVC resales still go through Craigendarroach? I would send my purchase funds directly there and they would distribute them to the seller? Am I correct in that regard? That would make things much easier.

alexb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is what happened on a previous sale I had to a Canadian

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know concerning the affiliated resorts where you have to call to deposit to get the HGVC points: can you still see availability in the corporate RCI account without having the points yet and deposit after you found something suitable or you have to deposit and have the points first before the (OG) search?

alexb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You call hgvc Orlando and yes you can see what is available in rci account.