• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CPAP Users: How long to get used to it?

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
"Cannot tolerate" because of comfort? If that (or leaking) is the issue, I suggest he play around with the harness settings. It took me awhile to get mine to where the fit was comfortable, with little leaking around the edges. I also find I sleep better and have less leakage if I wear a chinstrap (the mask does not need to be so tight then).
The broad, white chinstrap that fits around my jaw has been much more effective than the sexier tailored ones that fit just under the tip of your chin. It's also the least expensive. Chinstraps, though, can cause contact dermatitis. This has been a strong (earlier) to mild (now, white chinstrap) issue for me, but I have an ointment from my wife's doctor that seems to take care of that, though I now don't always need it.
Tell your husband not to give up. I'm sleeping 7 to 9 hour a night now, instead of the 4 hours I was experiencing before my CPAP. Life is much more pleasant.
We have been working on this for 20 months. We have tried chinstraps, and just about everything 7 or 8 sleep studies, multiple visits to doctor and supplier. Putting the mask on him is like trying it on a manikin,he makes no effort to adjust anything himself. I have one too, don’t have the problems he has.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been working on this for 20 months. We have tried chinstraps, and just about everything 7 or 8 sleep studies, multiple visits to doctor and supplier. Putting the mask on him is like trying it on a manikin,he makes no effort to adjust anything himself. I have one too, don’t have the problems he has.
I'm sorry. I wish I could offer exactly the right suggestion that would work for him, but that seems impossible. Without some constructive help from him, I'm afraid there's nothing to be done. Maybe in order that at least one of you gets proper restful sleep, the best answer is separate bedrooms. You wouldn't be the first couple to come to this conclusion.

Best Wishes

Jim

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
DH flunked his C-PAP. The memory card showed he wasn't complying (kept taking it off in the night) and they made him return the machine. He went to a dentist for an oral appliance and has been using that successfully for about 5 years.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may do one more doctor visit,but ready to give up. He is definitely not in compliance. My husband gets up, eats, sits in front of tv and falls asleep again, he will fall asleep in the car before we get out of our subdivision. I have to wake him up and make him go to bed in the evening. Having multiple apnea’s each hour makes his dementia worse, but I have to get some sleep too.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'll reincarnate this thread. I went back to the sleep lab one more time 2 weeks ago. I was sleeping pretty much through the night on the Bi-Pap. Pressure from about 4 to 9 (whatever those numbers represent). I slept better at the sleep lab because I was already used to the headgear and mask (I use the full nose/mouth mask). During the night the technician cranked the pressure up and had to tighten the mask.

Next day, I get the report that they want me to get a new, more powerful machine called IVAPS. It's part ventilator and part Bi-Pap. It apparently times it's 'breathing' to mine more accurately and pushes more air than the current 'loaner' machine. This thing really inflates my lungs with pressure up to 23. It does need a tighter mask fit that is not as comfortable, but it is at least bearable. My 'events' stay sub-10 per hour, which is about the same as with the Bi-Pap. It is supposed to treat my 'Central Sleep Apnea' where my lungs detect high carbon dioxide but don't trigger my brain to breathe. I guess time will tell. At least, I'm no longer on supplemental O2 and have returned that machine to the supplier. The IVAPS(CPAP) machine is easier to transport and more socially acceptable. It comes with a nice fitted case and is not subject to airline carry-on restrictions. I'll take it to Maui next week.

Jim

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an appointment for my husband tomorrow morning. Hopefully some adjustment on bipap machine will result in my husband using his longer.
Ever since I got replacement mask, very uncomfortable. I wake up with wet face and lots of marks. End up not using all night like I was doing.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an appointment for my husband tomorrow morning. Hopefully some adjustment on bipap machine will result in my husband using his longer.
Ever since I got replacement mask, very uncomfortable. I wake up with wet face and lots of marks. End up not using all night like I was doing.
I am using a ResMed F40 mask. The 'standard' silicone lined mask was uncomfortable, and unless super tight, leaked air. I found (on Amazon) a memory foam lined F40 that doesn't need to be nearly as tight to seal. My facial hair is probably the culprit. The memory foam provides a better and more comfortable seal. My provider gave me a brand new foam lined mask to switch to when my first one shows wear. They say to replace it at 2 months, but who knows? I use the pop-up Citrus II wipes on it daily and after a month still looks brand new. I have my humidifier set at '4' and it uses almost a full water reservoir every night. My throat seems dry and my face is not wet by any means, and there is just a little red mark on the bridge of my nose.

I hope you are able to find a comfortable mask and you and your husband are able to get restful sleep. It makes a world of difference in your life.

Jim

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
i have tried the memory foam with husband. nothing works
I did fine for a year with mine, and suddenly it is bothering me. I need to get the wipes and take better care of the equipment.
every so often, I can smell the humidity in the air, and I must have started leaking. I used to get a 99 or 100 every night.