• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Could someone explain the Viking Ship metaphor?

Luvstotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of us do not live on these message boards.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who doesn't read every post, and has not been reading them for months.

I keep seeing reference to "Viking ships", like "...the Viking ship approach". Can someone explain?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This is the newest scam in timesharing. A "rescue company" takes your timeshare off your hands for a large fee. Then they deed it to an LLC, bankrupt the LLC, and abandon the timeshare, making it a long costly process for the HOA to recover it.

-----------------------

Why a "Viking Ship"?

The company creates an LLC (the Viking Ship.)
The company acquires a bunch of unwanted timeshares (the bodies)
The company deeds the timeshares to the LLC (loads the bodies on the ship)
The company bankrupts the LLC and abandons the timeshares (sets the ship on fire and sets it adrift at sea)

Last edited:

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing reference to "Viking ships", like "...the Viking ship approach". Can someone explain?

more colorful explanation per wiki:

One Viking custom was to bury dead lords in their ships...The man would be placed on his ship, along with many of his most prized possessions. The Vikings firmly believed that the dead man would sail to the after-life in his ship, a belief similar to that of the ancient Egyptians.

in keeping with the metaphor, the postcard companies load all the timeshares into a ship (LLC), set it on fire and push it away... ;)

Luvstotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

Where does the phrase come from? I thought at first it had something to do with the Viking cruise line. I guess not?

chalee94, I was typing as you were posting. Thanks for the explanation of the origin of the phrase.

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Thank you.

Where does the phrase come from? I thought at first it had something to do with the Viking cruise line. I guess not?

Phase comes from historical fact that the Vikings were not very nice people. Just ask the Irish.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The viking ship also refers to any person that starts a trust to do away with bad assets. A person can set up a family trust and place all their good assets in the trust and keep all their timeshares as personal property. When they die the heirs get the trust and the hoa or resorts are notified of the death and get the timeshares back.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The viking ship also refers to any person that starts a trust to do away with bad assets. A person can set up a family trust and place all their good assets in the trust and keep all their timeshares as personal property. When they die the heirs get the trust and the hoa or resorts are notified of the death and get the timeshares back.

I have never heard it used this way on TUG, and the analogy doesn't really work, because there is no "Viking Ship" in your example.

Several attorneys have posted regarding the way that an undesired inheritance is refused, and there is more involved than just notifying that resort that the owner is dead. The estate is still responsible, until the heirs have legally refused to inherit the timeshares.

The fact that the "good assets" are in a trust would have no impact on the Timeshares which are not in the trust.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have never heard it used this way on TUG, and the analogy doesn't really work, because there is no "Viking Ship" in your example.

Several attorneys have posted regarding the way that an undesired inheritance is refused, and there is more involved than just notifying that resort that the owner is dead. The estate is still responsible, until the heirs have legally refused to inherit the timeshares.

The fact that the "good assets" are in a trust would have no impact on the Timeshares which are not in the trust.

How this works is a person has a bunch of assets that include their house, rentals, stocks and anything that is desirable placed in a trust. After 5 years these assets are protected or shielded from everyone but the heirs.

This person would own their timeshares as personal property not in the trust. After this person dies or 5 years after the trust is established, the heirs could decide if they wanted any of the timeshares or could just say Im not interested and inform the resort of the death or if the person is still alive they could just stop paying as they are impoverished. If the person that has started the trust has 10 - 50 timeshare contracts that were used for rental income these assets would not affect the trust since they are personal property.

Other personal debt, such as medical bills, do not affect the assets in the trust either.

Bottom line is if your estate has zero assets, no one gets anything but a notice if they are lucky.

Bill

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bill - There is a legal procedure for refusing the inheritance - you can't just tell the resort that the owner has dead. The heirs can refuse the TS inheritance whether or not there is a trust with other assets in it. This has been discussed a lot.

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
How this works is a person has a bunch of assets that include their house, rentals, stocks and anything that is desirable placed in a trust. After 5 years these assets are protected or shielded from everyone but the heirs.

This person would own their timeshares as personal property not in the trust. After this person dies or 5 years after the trust is established, the heirs could decide if they wanted any of the timeshares or could just say Im not interested and inform the resort of the death or if the person is still alive they could just stop paying as they are impoverished. If the person that has started the trust has 10 - 50 timeshare contracts that were used for rental income these assets would not affect the trust since they are personal property.

Other personal debt, such as medical bills, do not affect the assets in the trust either.

Bottom line is if your estate has zero assets, no one gets anything but a notice if they are lucky.

Bill

it wouldn't be better to go the other way Bill? Put the TS's in a trust or LLC with only your name on it, no heirs...that way when you die there IS no one to inherit it, the LLC will just go bankrupt and your personal assets will be seperate

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
it wouldn't be better to go the other way Bill? Put the TS's in a trust or LLC with only your name on it, no heirs...that way when you die there IS no one to inherit it, the LLC will just go bankrupt and your personal assets will be seperate

Very similar to what the LLC's are doing, except no one dies!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Ride - That's not how it works - even if you don't name your family as heirs, they still inherit your property. Otherwise, the families of all the people who die without wills would inherit nothing.

Think about it - if you died today, would the state of New York get your estate or would your daughter? Obviously, it would go through probate, and then to your daughter:

Who Gets What: The Basic Rules of Intestate Succession

Every state has laws that direct what happens to property when someone dies without a valid will and the property was not left in some other way (such as in a living trust). Generally, only spouses, registered domestic partners (in states where that's an option), and blood relatives inherit under intestate succession laws; unmarried partners, friends, and charities get nothing. If the deceased person was married, commonly the surviving spouse gets the largest share. If there are no children, the surviving spouse often receives all the property. More distant relatives inherit only if there is no surviving spouse or children. In the rare event that no relatives at all can be found, the state takes the assets.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bill - There is a legal procedure for refusing the inheritance - you can't just tell the resort that the owner has dead. The heirs can refuse the TS inheritance whether or not there is a trust with other assets in it. This has been discussed a lot.

What if a person just gets sick or old ? Their assets would be used to pay their bills, including the mf of the weeks they own. If I have 25 mf per year at an average of $800 per unit it would be 20K a year. If this person is sick then you could add medical bills of whatever. If this person ends up in the nursing home it wouldn't take long for the estate to go broke.

With a trust, after 5 years, none of these bills can affect what is in the trust.

So the viking ship is used to eliminate debt in many ways.imo

Bill

Reaction score
on a lighter note...

Can we start using a metaphor that is a bit more appropriate, such as eating their young? ;)

Comparing TS resale companies to the Vikings is unfair to the Vikings! :D The “Viking ship” ritual was something symbolizing honor, valor, and respect, as well as a belief in the afterlife... not quite the stuff of your average TS scammer. As for not being nice people, I’m sure the Vikings would disagree… vehemently! :eek:

Violence however, has always had its historical perspective. The Nordic Tribes were a people and culture of great accomplishment and they exhibited dominion over their world; as did the Romans during their reign, the Prussians during theirs, the Spanish during theirs, the French during theirs, and the British during theirs. And I suppose, the U.S. can be said to as well.

If nothing else, maybe we can take some comfort in the fact that all great civilizations come to an end, and some day the same will be true of TS scammers… or at least we can hope! :cool:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

The point of this approach is to not have other assets in the estate, like money, that would be wasted paying timeshare maintenance fees. Other valuable assets either held jointly wros or in a trust will pass without probate.

If the heirs just say no...(thats the legal procedure) the timeshares will rot in the estate,

Of course the administrator can advise the hoa that the owner died. In fact I think he should give them the first opportunity to buy the timeshare

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I was really considering starting a LLC to aquire some of my favorite destinations for profit. I would honestly try to stay legit but in the end I think the LLC would fail and I would start another.

In my fantasy, I collect two years of MF and 3k from each person wanting out of their contract. Then after 6 months we travel using reservations made from these contracts I now own and spend money collected as fees. All of this resort travel becomes a tax write off as I research the resorts I plan to sell. If 1000 people used this service I would earn 2000 vacation weeks worth posibly $1,700,000 and 300K cash.

Then if we run out of money I close the LLC and start another.

Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What if a person just gets sick or old ? Their assets would be used to pay their bills, including the mf of the weeks they own. If I have 25 mf per year at an average of $800 per unit it would be 20K a year. If this person is sick then you could add medical bills of whatever. If this person ends up in the nursing home it wouldn't take long for the estate to go broke.

With a trust, after 5 years, none of these bills can affect what is in the trust.

So the viking ship is used to eliminate debt in many ways.imo

Bill

Bill - The analogy still doesn't work - your example has no, "burning ship." After this person dies, the timeshares will still have to be disposed of by the estate. This strategy did not get rid of the timeshares...

Last edited:

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the newest scam in timesharing. A "rescue company" takes your timeshare off your hands for a large fee. Then they deed it to an LLC, bankrupt the LLC, and abandon the timeshare, making it a long costly process for the HOA to recover it.
maybe this will encourage resorts to take deedbacks instead of refusing, since they will get the week back anyways and less cost involved that way. If resorts took deedbacks, the owner wouldnt be pressed to use a up front fee company, and then the scam company wouldnt get their business, and the resort wont get burned. Its cyclical!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The point of this approach is to not have other assets in the trust, like money, that would be wasted paying timeshare maintenance fees. Other valuable assets either held jointly wros or in a trust will pass without probate.

If the heirs just say no...(thats the legal procedure) the timeshares will rot in the estate,

Of course the administrator can advise the hoa that the owner died. In fact I think he should give them the first opportunity to buy the timeshare

Almost right. The money is in the trust being shielded from debt, not the personal estate.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bill - The analogy doesn't work - your example has no, "burning ship." After this person dies, the timeshares will still have to be disposed of by the estate. This strategy did not get rid of the timeshares...

Yes, this is true at death unless there was a collection for past due mf or special assesments owned.

But if your assets were in a trust after, 5 years you could say Im not paying any more mf. If you have a bunch of TS contracts the hoa couldn't get to the trust to collect. So all of the contracts are forclosed on.

The viking ship theroy is to make debt uncolectible. A trust serves this purpose.

Bill