• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Could a closed Facebook Group work for TUG member direct exchanges?

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
I’ve been reading the thread about how to faciitate TUG member direct exchanges with great interest. I tend to agree with the members who find the marketplace exchange set-up cumbersome, but I am relatively new to time sharing with first (resale) purchase in De 2017, and that may be why.

As I was reading, I got to thinking about Facebook groups, and thought I would put this out there for some discussion.

I am a member of a Facebook group where folks buy & sell Worldmark memberships - it’s how I found the owner of a Whalepointe fractional that we purchased last summer.

I also am an administrator for a buy & sell group focused on vintage clothing and accessories, my longtime hobby. I think a similar group could work well for member to member exchanges.

• Closed group, meaning the group can be searched for on FB but interested parties have to apply to join. Groups can also be Private, meaning supposedly invisible to the general facebook population.
  • Build in screening questions, which could be used to ascertain that applicants are TUG forum members, and perhaps longevity
  • Admins approve applications to join, and decide whether new member is “pre-approved” to post comments and items “for sale” (exchange) without review or whether the listing is pending until reviewed by admin.
  • Members who don’t follow the agreed upon rules are removed from the group, and if necessary, blocked.
  • As a member, when I “sell” my listing, I mark it Sold and FB deletes it.
Facebook does require folks to use their personal profile to apply to and join groups. That means it would be important to review your profile privacy settings before joining a group that can be seen.

I would be willing to help work on a facebook group project if there is interest

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would think this would work other than two things.

Make sure Brian is ok with a group bearing his business name is ok with him.

We have a homebrew club and getting people to go to facebook (especially now) is not easy.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Not everybody might want their real name and info shared. For instance, my real last name is not Banjo. I’m sure there would be a certain percent who see this as a way to increase business, but many may not want the exposure.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The essential problem with direct exchange on TUG: most TUGgers don't want an equal exchange. They want a good deal. The exceptions tend to be the people who own high-end/in-demand stuff (i.e.: any exchange is either equal or a step down.) And, those people generally aren't worried about saving every last dollar---that's why they are willing to pay MFs on high-end properties---so they don't really mind using third party exchange companies.

This isn't to say that lowering friction in direct exchange is a bad idea. It's a good idea. But, it's also not going to open the floodgates of exchanges the way many people think.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Understand completely about Brian needing to OK use of TUG name.

Re: facebook itself, obviously someone who is not comfortable having a facebook profile page wouldn’t be able to access and participate in a facebook group.
... for instance, my real last name isn’t banjo
:eek:
Kidding aside, a “secret” (I mistakenly called this “private” in my first post) group would be an alternative to a “closed” group. Secret groups do not show up in a facebook search and don’t show up on your personal page under groups you belong to. The only way to join a secret group is to be invited by one of the group admins.Member profile names are only visible to other members.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The essential problem with direct exchange on TUG: most TUGgers don't want an equal exchange. They want a good deal. The exceptions tend to be the people who own high-end/in-demand stuff (i.e.: any exchange is either equal or a step down.) And, those people generally aren't worried about saving every last dollar---that's why they are willing to pay MFs on high-end properties---so they don't really mind using third party exchange companies.

This isn't to say that lowering friction in direct exchange is a bad idea. It's a good idea. But, it's also not going to open the floodgates of exchanges the way many people think.
In this instance I would think the framework would be to find a "mutually beneficial" exchange -- not a Bargain Hunter's paradise.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Been wondering if it would work to only show:
"Here is what I have"
Only one unit per listing.
with an open ended invite for another person to offer something in return. For example,
Timber Lodge, 1 BR, 5/23 -30
A person would reply with what they are able to trade.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
how about a TUG TS exchanges group on Facebook moderated by TUG? Facebook is a free platform and would not require additional programming costs for @Brian. And if it uses the TUG brand name and experience, it has a much better chance of success than if it is just another FB group

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
But would TUG moderators want to take on a Facebook group in addition to all they do here?

B2bailey, that is pretty much what I had in mind - not bargain hunting, but providing a safe space for vetted TUG forum members to share exchange options with each other.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
If you would like to see a sample group, go on facebook and search “Worldmark by Wyndham Timeshares” - click into the group for buy & sell resale Exclusive (not Ovation).

This is a closed group, meaning you have to apply to join and if i remember correctly they do have a screening question. You cannot post until/unless you become a member. However, other facebook users can see the posts and can see the names of members.

If TUGgers wanted more privacy, it would have to be a “secret” group, accessible for joining only by invitation from an administrator. That could work if the group administrators accepted PMs here in the TUG forum from TUG members who wanted to join and could then be issued an invitation.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I would love a fb group. I think there is a group of tuggers who don’t advertise on marketplace because they want a fair exchange of prime week and/or higher end units. We understand the system and what our unit is worth. We aren’t trying to get a trade up and might accept a trade down for prime week/location. It’s the “trade up” people that we want to avoid. Such as when I used markeplace, I got emails offering what I could easily trade into such as shoulder ski weeks, Orlando, etc.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I know we are all thinking of creating something new but my feel is our tug leader wants us to try and use what exists.

Maybe we should first start trying to use what exists to our fullest and see what happens. Many of us want trades between tuggers but do not list what we have. Even for those who feel the placing of these ads are a pain and not optimal, the pain can be worth saving hundreds in trade fees.

Maybe tug will allow us to have a thread that is labeled “ I just posted an exchange “ and the posts would simply list the resort. No comments or questions. This could be a nudge for us to go look at the exchange listings.

When one places the exchange listing they can put in the title their name, eg. “Tug Pmpanina”, this way we immediately know who. In the ad body we each have the choice to add I will only trade with tug members and will only answer messages sent to me on the tug forum through conversation. Yes, more steps but keeps our email private from others we don’t know. We also can be specific and state only interested in like for like, etc or as broad as we want.

My two cents, maybe worth one but ultimately the success of the exchanges is not where and how implemented but more on participtation. Could it be easier yes but it can work this way too if we all put effort into it.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I like the idea of “I just posted an exchange.”
I’m going to post my 4th of July hhi week on marketplace tomorrow and try it again. Otherwise, I’ll deposit with Rci soon.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like the idea of “I just posted an exchange.”
I’m going to post my 4th of July hhi week on marketplace tomorrow and try it again. Otherwise, I’ll deposit with Rci soon.
I think we all come often to the tug forum but do not go as often to the exchange. Nudge here, nudge there, more traffic.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

I agree that it will not open the floodgates. :cool:

However I disagree that those with high-end/in-demand don’t really mind using third party exchange companies. I’ve posted my Four Season Residence Club Aviara in the Marketplace in the past because I was hoping for better availability compared to Interval International.

I would say about 75% of the replies weren’t what I consider “mutually beneficial” exchange and some totally ignored the requested resorts/locations. The other 20% were ok offers however I could easily exchange into the ones being offered with one of my cheaper weeks so it didn’t make sense for me to give up my top week. Luckily I was able to find what I consider a fair trade (Four Season Aviara for Westin Maui). I eventually ended up selling my Four Seasons week and buying a mandatory Vistana Resort ;).

Folks that own a hotel brand timeshare in a high demand location simply expect something similar in return. I currently own a two bedroom oceanfront villa at destination resort in Waikiki (Lagoon Tower at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Gold Season). The only way I would give up that week for a private exchange is for another high demand hotel brand timeshare that I couldn’t easily get via RCI or Interval International. :cool:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some totally ignored the requested resorts/locations.

:cool:

My last ad I got a nice number of responses but all ignored the requested resorts/locations. Next time I will have to add a line that makes it clear I am not interested in anything else.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
My last ad I got a nice number of responses but all ignored the requested resorts/locations. Next time I will have to add a line that makes it clear I am not interested in anything else.

I updated my ad specifying that too but I still got replies.
Perhaps I should have ignored their replies since they clearly ignored my requested resorts/locations. :cool:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
In this instance I would think the framework would be to find a "mutually beneficial" exchange -- not a Bargain Hunter's paradise.

I’ve done three private exchanges, and this was the nature of each one. They all came together as a by product of posting on TUG. “Hey I read you have X, want to try to exchange, here’s what I have”.

Each time I was offered something very comparable, sometime better than what I had.

Yes I’ve also been offered stuff I wasn’t interested in or that wasn’t comparable too. But I feel like long term tug members are good about offering like for like to someone else they “know”.

I’m not sure about the FB format though. Posts are just listed chronologically, and the actual exchange posts would be mixed in with general comments/discussion. How well do the FB pages work for Wyndham, Marriott, etc.?

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
not sure about the Facebook format... Posts are just listed chronologically, and the actual exchange posts would be mixed in with general comments/discussion

If a group is set up as “Buy & sell”, the “for sale” listings are organized into an easy-to-access and review section. in my experience, they are even randomized so that earlier listings rotate to the top now and then.

Here’s a link to the buy & sell group for which I am an admin. It’s for vintage clothing, not timeshares, but hopefully, you can get a general idea.
Https://www.facebook.com/groups/VFG Shop/

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I agree with Panina. Timeshares are too varied to have a one size fits all format, whether on tug or facebook. Add to that the variations in what we as individuals want and things get very complicated very quickly. What will look like an upgrade to one person is something that doesn't matter to another. Tug is open to everybody and has the built in credibility already established. The xyz exchange ad in the direct exchange section is about as good as you are going to get. Moving it to a facebook group will eliminate some who don't use facebook (like me and there are more of us out here than you think) and add the step of vetting the users.
The difficulty with direct exchanges will exist regardless of platform. In theory, it's an easy thing. In reality, there are lots of variations that make it more difficult. I am open to direct exchanges, but I am always looking for something different and am not always interested in a week. I care about location and don't care about granite countertops or activities so I own Worldmark and VI. As a result, many who do care about those things, and paid extra to own Marriott etc, will see a trade with me as a downgrade. From my end, I can trade into those higher quality locations for less points and, even with the exchange fees, it's cheaper and easier for me to exchange vs doing a direct exchange. I did a direct exchange in the past as a favor for somebody who wanted a National Park location for a couple of nights and I had a couple of nights to fill in between 2 exchanges so I thought I'd try their resort vs my resort a few miles apart. For me, it was a wash, even though it would seem to be an upgrade on my part because the things that made it an upgrade just aren't important to me. In addition, I'm an off season traveler so trading a prime time and higher point stay for an off season stay doesn't seem equal either. An even trade is going to be whatever the two traders are happy with. So the bottom line, is that you have to match up a lot of variables to make this work and that is going to be the exception rather than the rule. Starting a new forum or platform isn't going to change that.

Looking at the xyz post in the direct exchanges. Again, I think it's about the best you are going to get. The wish list is laid out and what you have to trade is all there. Now you just have to get somebody who both wants something you want and has something you want and can see the possibilities. I have something you want and can see the possibilities, but am not ready to decide what I want so you need all three to line up at the same time. There were a lot of suggestions in the direct exchange thead and I liked a lot of them, but when thinking of how they would actually play out, it gets pretty complicated. I think that working within the direct exchange format here on tug is the best option.

Sue

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I like the facebook group for Worldmark. I haven't rented any points or units from this group. I do like being able to see the profile of person I am trusting.

I do use the VI owner direct exchange program. It works pretty good but is fee based. There is a fee to deposit and a fee to acquire. The weeks get deposited on a page that shows offerings for each month.

I have better luck renting my timeshares to people on my email list. I haven't tried the tug exchange as it seems too specific. That is why the exchange doesn't work for me. If the available trade units were actual deposits it would be easier to trade, imo.

Bill

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
If someone wants to start up an exchange group on FB, they can just go ahead & do it. They don't need permission from anybody.

Personally I don't think it would get used all that much, but I'd love to be wrong about that.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
I would not attempt to develop a Facebook upper end TS exchange group all by myself - I've absorbed a lot of information over the last 16 months (and accumulated 7 weeks per year in the process!), but don't have the breadth of knowledge held by the many longtime members here.

I do have experience setting up and running a Facebook buy & sell group. If there are any TUG members who would be interested in working on this, please send me a direct message. A small group of ~3 could put this together in a month or less IMO.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Regarding exchanges between timeshare owners, it does work well for profit, not so much otherwise, imo. Especially with a group of people like tug members, who know how to exchange their unwanted week for a great week.

I rarely look at the tug owner exchange because almost every add is so specific about what they are willing to take. This occasionally works for some people but for the most part doesn't work. Too me it makes more sense to just rent out my week, or rent an advertised week, from a tug member, instead of trying to find a trade.

Bill