• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco Rotisserie Chicken $4.99.... Riddle when is it less than $4.99

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort
Blue Whale
Gee... I just check the time sticker to make sure it hasn't been sitting around for a while. Even if it's a few ounces less I still can't roast one myself for $4.99.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again to Costco I can try to roast one.
20180921_181754.jpg

Grill originally $899. End of Season Closeout. Check out this price. I could not resist.

20180921_181714.jpg

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Deleted post.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks again to Costco I can try to roast one.View attachment 8295

Grill originally $899. End of Season Closeout. Check out this price. I could not resist.

View attachment 8296

And that little asterisk in the top right corner of the price tag indicates they won't be getting more of these. So for that price, buy it right now, because it'll be gone any minute.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never since this in 20 years shopping at Costco in Virgnia. All of our rotisserie chicken are $4.99 in that plastic container.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have never since this in 20 years shopping at Costco in Virgnia. All of our rotisserie chicken are $4.99 in that plastic container.

My guess is the local supplier of chickens to that store has better weight range choices.

Dave

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I went to Costco yesterday for shampoo and bought a table/chairs/fire pit set. Most expensive bottle of shampoo ever.

That's the way it works, isn't it? And I'll bet your Executive rebate check just bumped by a fair amount. If you put it on your Costco Visa, even better. So you can keep telling yourself, "Look at all the money I saved!" LOL! :thumbup: :D

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave,

Thanks for the very detailed reply. I started to panic that Costco may somehow try and work up the cost of the Chicken. Definitely a great value. Really respect Costco for their business practice. Up until yesterday the Chicken has always been $4.99. Never more, never less.

Sometimes I go to Sams Club but I just don't get the same fuzzy feel like I do at Costco.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave,

Thanks for the very detailed reply. I started to panic that Costco may somehow try and work up the cost of the Chicken. Definitely a great value. Really respect Costco for their business practice. Up until yesterday the Chicken has always been $4.99. Never more, never less.

Sometimes I go to Sams Club but I just don't get the same fuzzy feel like I do at Costco.

The Costco business model is limiting that rotisserie chicken price to $4.99. It has a good ring to the sound of it, and "everyone" knows they can get a good value cooked chicken that will feed several people, or last several days, for less than five bucks. Use it in other things you make, and there's dinner for not a lot of money.

You will never get the same fuzzy feeling from another warehouse that you do at Costco. It boils down to how the companies are designed. Costco was built from the ground up, with a clear vision. Sam's Club is a spin-off from Walmart, and is an attempt by the Waltons to capitalize on the warehouse concept originally put forth by Sol Price and Jim Sinegal. (Sol went on to found Price Club, and Jim founded Costco. A number of years later Costco bought Price Club, and it has never looked back.) Walmart may be able to claim they're the largest retailer, but their Sam's Clubs are a pale imitation of Costco, and will never be as good. The base problem with them is they don't pay reasonable wages to all those employees, and Costco does. The problem starts with employee attitudes and loyalty. A rank beginner at Costco, on their first day, starts out earning something like $13 an hour, and earns regular raises and benefits going forward from there. A Walmart (or Sam's Club) employee starts at minimum wage and has to work YEARS to get up to that level. They are taught during their employee orientation how to apply for food stamps. (What kind of multi-billionaire employer does that to their employees?) Costco is about profits to the members, Walmart is about profits to Walmart. It's an old argument.

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The Costco business model is limiting that rotisserie chicken price to $4.99. It has a good ring to the sound of it, and "everyone" knows they can get a good value cooked chicken that will feed several people, or last several days, for less than five bucks. Use it in other things you make, and there's dinner for not a lot of money.
And they put the d@mn things in the back of the store! It means i have to walk past, and end up buying, all the other stuff along the way. I hate Costco!:D

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And they put the d@mn things in the back of the store! It means i have to walk past, and end up buying, all the other stuff along the way. I hate Costco!:D

HAHAHA! Nobody ever said they weren't really, really, REALLY smart at what they do. Do you think they hand out those free samples for fun? Nope, they think you're likely to buy the product, and something nearby it, too. Maybe something that goes with it. The conversation usually goes like: "Oh, and while we're back here getting a rotisserie chicken, let's look at the deli cheese and fresh fish. Oh yeah, I forgot, we have that barbecue coming up this weekend - what should we make?" and then as you turn toward the bakery, it's "Ooh! Look at that gorgeous pie! What? Only $8.99?? We need that! And oh yeah - Muffins!!" And suddenly you have a cart full.

It never ends. If you can get out of the warehouse without spending $100, maybe $200, often more, you're not trying nearly hard enough. ;)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
They also rearrange the goods in the store so you have to go on a scavenger hunt for stuff you usually buy. "I know the coffee was on this aisle over here, and now it isn't. I guess I have to conduct a search. Oh look- there are some pickled asparagus spears for just $13.99."

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
You are my hero. I have great sales resistance but Cosco gets me every time.
The only time I have gotten out of there for less than $20 is when I have been in a hurry - on the way to a party picking up shrimp, or having 30 min for dinner - only time for Costco chicken. Otherwise it's almost always an hour and over $100. Always. I am sure that they know that. :D

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The only time I have gotten out of there for less than $20 is when I have been in a hurry - on the way to a party picking up shrimp, or having 30 min for dinner - only time for Costco chicken. Otherwise it's almost always an hour and over $100. Always. I am sure that they know that. :D

They do. It's a carefully managed experience. :)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Listening to NPR today, there was a bit about Costco building a chicken processing plant near Fremont Nebraska to have 'vertical control' of the rotisserie chickens from incubation to processing to roasting so they can keep them at $4.99. This plant will supply the Western US and Alaska and Hawaii. Read or listen here: https://www.npr.org/2018/10/22/6595...ka-supply-chain-for-its-5-rotisserie-chickens

Jim

PS, I learned that Costco sells 60 MILLION Rotisserie chickens a year!!