• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco Rotisserie Chicken $4.99.... Riddle when is it less than $4.99

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today I got lost going south on I15 and decided to get Costco gas at some Podunk town in Idaho was it Chubbuck or Pocatello. Geez where am I certainly not Kansas or Queens how the heck did I end up here?. Anyway I digress.

So I go in to get some protein shakes, protein bars, go in the back to the meat section ... you all know the drill. Salivate at the Prime Beef yum.. Then I look at the Rotisserie Chickens. Some are priced $4.65, $4.15.. Is this how they do it in Idaho? Sign on top still said $4.99.

What gives?

Last edited:

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Today I got lost going south on I15 and decided to get Costco gas at some Podunk town in Idaho was it Chubbuck or Pocatello. Geez where am I certainly not Kansas or Queens how the heck did I end up here?. Anyway I digress.

Pretty condescending attitude. You might want to rethink that attitude if you plan on spending anytime in the west (or anyplace outside of NYC).

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sue all in good humor. I embellished the post with an inside joke between myself and a select few that know why mentioned the location.

I really would like to know if anyone can answer the Riddle. Why some Rotisserie chickens at Costco are less than the posted $4.99.

Last edited:

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Sue all in good humor. I embellished the post with an inside joke between myself and a select few that know why mentioned the location.

I really would like to know if anyone can answer the Riddle. Why some Rotisserie chickens at Costco are less than the posted $4.99.

When I asked this question while in our local club they explained it was due to size! Although, I never saw a variety of prices. It was either $4.99 or $2.99

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
They do post a sticker on the package it that is the time the chicken was put on the shelf, so while 415 makes sense, the 465 does not.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a question for DaveNW. I think that at our Costco, all the chickens are the same $4.99 price. This bears some research. Very scientific research. 'Bout time for a rotisserie chicken anyway. :)

Jim

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here at the ones in BC, they're $7.99 CAD. That's still cheaper than what you would find in local supermarkets.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Billy, here's your answer: It isn't random, regional, or anything else. The price on Costco rotisserie chicken has to do with the weight of the bird. When it weighs below a certain number, it is priced lower. When it is above a certain weight, it is priced at $4.99, regardless. They do that to control the sales price, and so you get fair value for your money, because chickens weigh different amounts.

If every chicken was priced at $4.99, and the one you select, for example, happens to be a half pound lighter than the one next to it, you just paid more per-pound for the product you received. You'd feel like you were not getting treated fairly. By setting a limit (and I don't know the weight they choose), that everything over that weight sells for $4.99, Costco can say they sell a rotisserie chicken for $4.99. If you want a smaller sized bird than that, look for prices lower than $4.99 - that will give you a lighter bird, sold at a fair per-pound price. But if you want to maximize your savings, look for the heaviest bird you can with a $4.99 price tag. The weight is on the label. If all you see offered is the lower-priced birds, it means the heavier ones have already been sold. Check with them to see if they have a new batch coming out soon - chances are they will, since they refresh the selection all day long. Take a lap or two around the warehouse and get your other purchases, and by the time you get back to the deli, the new chickens will probably be out there.

What Costco tries to do with lighter birds is use them in products they make, like their deli chicken pot pie. But sometimes they get shipments with enough lighter birds that they can't do that, and they end up on the rotisserie chicken sales shelf. You have options.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If every chicken was priced at $4.99, and the one you select, for example, happens to be a half pound lighter than the one next to it, you just paid more per-pound for the product you received. You'd feel like you were not getting treated fairly. By setting a limit (and I don't know the weight they choose), that everything over that weight sells for $4.99, Costco can say they sell a rotisserie chicken for $4.99. If you want a smaller sized bird than that, look for prices lower than $4.99 - that will give you a lighter bird, sold at a fair per-pound price. But if you want to maximize your savings, look for the heaviest bird you can with a $4.99 price tag. The weight is on the label. If all you see offered is the lower-priced birds, it means the heavier ones have already been sold. Check with them to see if they have a new batch coming out soon - chances are they will, since they refresh the selection all day long. Take a lap or two around the warehouse and get your other purchases, and by the time you get back to the deli, the new chickens will probably be out there.

What Costco tries to do with lighter birds is use them in products they make, like their deli chicken pot pie. But sometimes they get shipments with enough lighter birds that they can't do that, and they end up on the rotisserie chicken sales shelf. You have options.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why does it DO that? I hit 'Reply' type a great comment, click 'Post' and my intellectual input has disapperated. Poof!

Anyway, we can always count on Dave to iron out any Costco mysteries. I will check those labels. Up to now, I just picked my birds by color, and let the weight fall where it is. Now I have to look at that too. Sheesh!

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Why does it DO that? I hit 'Reply' type a great comment, click 'Post' and my intellectual input has disapperated. Poof!

Anyway, we can always count on Dave to iron out any Costco mysteries. I will check those labels. Up to now, I just picked my birds by color, and let the weight fall where it is. Now I have to look at that too. Sheesh!

Jim

HAHA! I hate when that happens. I always try to proofread what I type to make sure it hasn't gotten messed up, before I hit Post. Sometimes it works, but I still have to edit things after the fact. (And thanks for the props for answering C-store questions. I'm happy to do it, and it kind of goes with the territory.)

As to Costco chickens, it's not intended to be that hard to pick one. Not everyone needs that extra few ounces of chicken. Just know that if you grab a $4.99 bird, you're getting a conscientious, pre-calculated, best value for your money. And obviously, if it IS important, then compare weights. They aren't going to vary by all that much. The bigger point is knowing that if you grab a lower-priced chicken, you're paying a reasonable price per-pound for the one you bought, based only on the weight of that particular bird.

It's a fact that Costco has your back, but they also want your money. LOL! :D

Dave

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
And for those with extra time on your hands you could look for the lowest weighted $4.99 chicken and then look through the lower priced chickens that is closest in weight to that one. Maybe you might find a lower priced chicken only an ounce lower in weight than the higher priced chickens. That is getting the most bang for your chicken buck.

These are the types of things I plan on doing when I retire. :)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
These are the types of things I plan on doing when I retire. :)
It's MUCH more satisfying to save people 10's of thousands of bucks pointing them to rescission and away from scams on TUG. You already do an expert job at that. :clap::clap:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I asked Dave about this a while back when I found the same phenomenon at our Costco here. I thought I was buying a $4.99 bird and at checkout it was only $4.25 or something like that. Ultimately it was determined that if the bird is 3lbs or more, they price it at $4.99. If it weighs in less than 3lbs, then they price it at $1.66/lb. The $1.67/lb works out to the $4.99 when buying at least a 3lb bird. Of course, if the bird you actually buy is more than 3lbs then you get a lower price per pound. Of course, they don't mark the weight on the birds you buy, unless it is under 3lbs, so you would have to weigh it yourself to find out what you really paid per pound, but in reality it doesn't really matter.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Maybe it is a discount based on the time the chicken was cooked, when a new batch comes out previous ones not sold are reduced in price to encourage you to pick it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Maybe it is a discount based on the time the chicken was cooked, when a new batch comes out previous ones not sold are reduced in price to encourage you to pick it.
That doesn't seem to be it at all, it is purely based on the weight when the weight is under 3lbs. I always felt ripped off when I went to pick up a bird for dinner and all that was left were a few scrawny ones and they were priced at $4.99. Often if I saw them getting ready to pull a new batch from the ovens I would wait it out for a fresh, and fat, bird.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I asked Dave about this a while back when I found the same phenomenon at our Costco here. I thought I was buying a $4.99 bird and at checkout it was only $4.25 or something like that. Ultimately it was determined that if the bird is 3lbs or more, they price it at $4.99. If it weighs in less than 3lbs, then they price it at $1.66/lb. The $1.67/lb works out to the $4.99 when buying at least a 3lb bird. Of course, if the bird you actually buy is more than 3lbs then you get a lower price per pound. Of course, they don't mark the weight on the birds you buy, unless it is under 3lbs, so you would have to weigh it yourself to find out what you really paid per pound, but in reality it doesn't really matter.

I remember our discussion, but couldn't find the thread. I didn't have the exact amounts, but you remember them, which is good to know. And if I read things right - you're saying the weight isn't on the $4.99 labels? I thought it was. I've never checked, to be honest. Now I have a new thing to check, next time I'm in the warehouse. LOL! :)

Bottom line - Costco rotisserie chicken is a pretty darn good deal, no matter what you pay for it. It's right up there with that $1.50 hot dog deal. (Don't get Jim started on that one again... ;) )

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the Costco chicken but my husband does not. I love that it is so juicy but my husband likes dry meat. I offered to nuke his portions to death before serving to him... I haven't had their chicken for something like 5 years now. :(

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I like the Costco chicken but my husband does not. I love that it is so juicy but my husband likes dry meat. I offered to nuke his portions to death before serving to him... I haven't had their chicken for something like 5 years now. :(

You could get one and save it for yourself. For the few dollars you spend, it'd be a nice treat. :)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bottom line - Costco rotisserie chicken is a pretty darn good deal, no matter what you pay for it. It's right up there with that $1.50 hot dog deal. (Don't get Jim started on that one again... ;) )
I was in the warehouse just last week and had a hankering for a smoked sausage & a Coke. Y'know what? They couldn't talk me into that acai bowl. I went down the street to a nearby smokehouse and spent a LOT more than a buck-and-a-half!. :)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Love the Costco chicken. Have one in my fridge now. Lasts several meals when my kids aren't around.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I was in the warehouse just last week and had a hankering for a smoked sausage & a Coke. Y'know what? They couldn't talk me into that acai bowl. I went down the street to a nearby smokehouse and spent a LOT more than a buck-and-a-half!. :)

You know, they still sell the Polish dogs in a package in the refrigerator section. I got one, split it up into individual pieces, and froze the package. Now when I have a hankerin' for a Polish dog, I just open the freezer. Works slick. I haven't tried doing one on the grill yet, but there's that.

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I remember our discussion, but couldn't find the thread. I didn't have the exact amounts, but you remember them, which is good to know. And if I read things right - you're saying the weight isn't on the $4.99 labels? I thought it was. I've never checked, to be honest. Now I have a new thing to check, next time I'm in the warehouse. LOL! :)

Dave
It wasn't a thread but rather a PM. I don't know for sure if the weight is not on the $4.99 birds. I don't think it is though, I will have to check the next time I am there too.