TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Costco - I'm blaming TUG

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by Jan M., Mar 1, 2019.

1. Bucky

Bucky TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    LOL. We did the same. Moved our 55 to the BR and got a new 65 to replace it. In retrospect a new 75 would have been better! I probably should stay out of Costco until this urge goes away!!

easyrider, Jan M. and DaveNW like this.
  2. dms1709

dms1709 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Coconut Point (4), Marriott Legends Edge, Mansfield Au,
    I found Costco car rental to almost always be the cheapest.

DaveNW likes this.
  3. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 50,000
    Royal Solaris San Jose del Cavo
    The Costco in Salem is less than 3 miles from our House. So we treat it as a grocery store with good free samples. Fred Meyer (Kroger) is 2 miles so not a lot of travel distance difference. Unfortunately Costco is trying to build at a new location which will add a mile each way. But it will be a lot larger and more than double the gas pumps. If you are ever in SLC visit the Costco. It is the largest in North America. Has whole pigs (like Hawaii), half a beef, etc.

Jan M. likes this.
  4. "Roger"

"Roger" Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I am surrounded by four Costco's. One is 50 min. away, one 55 min. away, a third is an hour away, and a fourth is an hour an 5 min. away. I think that they are running out of locations about an hour away. I am convinced that this was how they chose their locations. Still I joined and about once every six weeks my wife and I make a Costco run.

Jan M. likes this.
  5. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    We have talked to Costo Managers involved with the Ordering/Managing of Alcohol Sales. None of the Costco Vodka is distilled by Grey Goose. Heck Grey Goose does not even distill their own Vodka.

6. dayooper

dayooper TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC at The Flamingo
    Absolutely. We are driving from Michigan to Myrtle Beach in June. Instead of taking 2 cars to fit our family of 5 and all of our gear, we are renting a Suburban for the trip. We are paying $770 for 11 days and that includes tax and fees. Awesome deal.

7. dayooper

dayooper TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC at The Flamingo
    Their tequila is very good. For $28, you get 1.75 L of very good tequila. It’s on par with Patron Anejo ($80 for a 5th). Pop it in the freezer and you can sip it straight like scotch!

dmurray007 likes this.
  8. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    I was a Price Club member in Canada. When I first moved to Texas 23 years ago I had to suffer 7 years without a Costco, as TX did not have them back in the late 1990s through early 2000s. Thank goodness they are hear now.

There is a store about 20 minutes from me, it was badly flooded in Hurricane Harvey and the entire contents and furnishings of the store had to be ripped out and thrown away. I really missed it when it was closed for 5 months for repairs.

9. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I used to find this. But lately I've been getting pricing by registering the rental I find on Costco with AutoSlash.

dms1709, Icc5 and Jan M. like this.
  10. lockewong

lockewong TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, HGVC Sea World, Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
    Getting my rebate check bzackthis week for being an "Executive" member. Dave is right.

Jan M. likes this.
  11. lockewong

lockewong TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, HGVC Sea World, Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
    It was Price Club versus CostCo and they merged in the late 80's/early 90's. Costco had better food and Price Club had better large ticket items.

12. jackio

jackio Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sand Pebbles, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, Quarter House
    I have a Costco about a mile from me. It sells gas about 10 to 20 cents a gallon cheaper than the local gas stations.
    But it does not sell any hard liquor, only beer and wine. There is an independent liquor store attached to it, but they are expensive and do not sell Kirkland brand.

13. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    That has to do with your state liquor laws. TX is the same NO Liquor only wine and beer. However other states it is different, I know that LA, NV, SC do sell liquor.

jackio likes this.
  14. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Back in the 70's, Sol Price and Jim Sinegal were executives at FedMart, a membership shopping club. I shopped at their San Diego locations. My memory is that it cost $1 for a forever membership to FedMart, (although that may have been at Memco and Gemco stores, and the FedMart membership may have been free.) FedMart had excellent values, and was a great place to shop. (If memory serves, FedMart was later sold and became Target. Don't quote me - I could be wrong about that.) After both men moved on from FedMart, Sol Price opened Price Club, and Jim Sinegal opened Costco. They were friendly competitors who operated in different locations, but had similar business models. Several years later Costco bought Price Club, and for a time the merged storefronts had a combined name of Price-Costco. During that time, Costco determined which Price Club and Costco locations were less profitable, and they closed a number of warehouses. Eventually, the name was changed again, to become the Costco brand it is today. They've never looked back.

My marriage notwithstanding, the last 40 years of my life without Costco would have been very different. :)

Dave

Stressy, Jan M. and Beachclubmum like this.
  15. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Washington State was the same. Jim Sinegal took it personally, and Costco spent MILLION$$$ fighting them, to allow local stores to sell hard liquor. It finally went to a voter ballot on a statewide level, and the voters won. There are still private liquor stores, and Washington state taxes are high on alcohol compared to other states, but Costco and local grocery stores now sell hard liquor here, at prices well below what the State-run stores used to sell it for. Competition in the marketplace is a good thing.

Dave

16. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Salem's Costco warehouse opened in 1992, when the whole area was probably a lot less developed, and a lot of warehouses were in leased buildings. Costco's convenient locations can be a victim of their own popularity. Local warehouse relocations are usually due to shopper demand for more merchandise, more cash registers, better gas stations, and more parking. If the current warehouse is too small, it's more cost effective to build an entirely new building, with updated facilities and features, and close the smaller one or give up the old leased location. If Salem has grown to the point of them needing a larger location, it's a sign your warehouse is doing well. It'll be worth it. :)

Dave

17. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Costco started with locations based on local populations and availability for easy access. That's why most are located along freeways and major streets. Here in Washington, along the I-5 corridor, they have a warehouse roughly every 25 miles. In larger cities like Seattle, they have locations located in more populated urban areas, because that's where the shoppers live. I think they know if you have to drive too far to get to a warehouse, you're more likely to shop with other businesses instead. It's a carefully planned thing.

Dave

18. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

We are fortunate (Costco-wise). Our smallish 50,000 lol city is the shopping magnet for a gigantic, though sparsely peopled area that touches 4 states. If you live on a cattle or sheep ranch or have a gold mine in Northern Nevada, central Idaho, Western Montana, N.E. Cal or Oregon, it might be 300 miles of 2 track dirt road, but if you need a new pickup, or a freezer, or grub to feed hungry sheep or cattlemen, you'll find yourself at Costco in Twin Falls. Rubbing shoulders with the movie stars and billionaires just in with their jets to Sun Valley, 70 miles up the road. You never know who you'll run into. For us, though it's about a 7-10 minute drive (if we can find a parking place).

Jim

Jan M. and DaveNW like this.
  19. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    The Twin Falls warehouse is in a great location, and is a nice, well-run warehouse. We stop there each time we're heading through town.

Dave

20. Beachclubmum

Beachclubmum Guest

The only thing keeping me from living full time in Hilton Head is the lack of a Costco! It's been rumored for years, but who knows.

I can claim getting to shop at FedMart as a child too. My favorite part...the giant long and skinny bag of freshly popped popcorn for 35 cents that my mom would buy for us to keep us occupied. She was allowed to get a membership at the time as she was taking classes at a California State college....membership was limited to federal and state employees (plus state college students apparently).

Jan M. and DaveNW like this.
  21. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    We do not buy Tequila unless it is smooth enough to drink straight like Good Whisky.

dayooper likes this.
  22. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I am one of those people who dislikes alcohol. It disturbs my sleep as it makes me sleep for an hour and lay there awake for the rest of the night. Drinking alcohol usually gives me a headache too. I guess I should be thankful that it saves us some money although my husband drinks on my behalf. :)

Patri and Lydlady like this.
  23. dayooper

dayooper TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC at The Flamingo
    I am an amateur tequila snob. This is pretty good tequila. I have drank it straight no worries. For the price, you can’t beat it.

dmurray007 and Jan M. like this.
  24. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    You're not alone. I am not a non-drinker, but I may as well be. Calling me a social drinker is a stretch. If I order a beer with dinner at a restaurant, I usually leave about half of the glass leftover when we leave. And that's on the rare occasion when I do order something. I'm a lousy partier, but I'm a great designated driver. My friends and family love me for that. :)

Dave

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    geoand, Glynda and Jan M. like this.
  25. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Yep, designated driver, that's me. I do all driving when out with our friends in the evening.

Glynda, Jan M. and DaveNW like this.