• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering Purchasing Hyatt RC Kaanapali Resale - seeking advice

Echoboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Newbie here to TUG and the timeshare system. Please excuse me if I've violated procedures but let me know for the future.

Attended HRC Kaanapali sales pitch, and though enticing, the costs were prohibitive.
Came across a resale (odd year) on a 2bd unit midlevel week 49 for $22000. Closing costs will be $1848 ($848 closing, $650 transfer and $349 admin). Maintenance fee $2200.

I am new to this world and would like advice from the experienced pro's.

Seems like the deal is decent. We've stayed here and love it and the kids love it. We can easily see ourselves coming here every other year. I understand that there are restrictions about converting the HRC points into WOH points, which I could care less about. We would like to purchase it but have heard about the deathtraps of timeshare ownership. I've read the newbie purchasing list of questions, which is great. Could you please advise me on the following?

1) Is Timesharebrokerservices a reputable company to work with?
2) Odds of Hyatt exercising Right of first refusal with this purchase?
3) Have there been problems with Hyatt and exorbitant maintenance fee management and increases?
4) What are the other "fees" and forced memberships I will be required to join if I purchase? I've read there's some ILG membership that I will be forced to join. Am I able to opt out of that?
5) Any last "pearls of wisdom" about the resort and the process would be greatly appreciated. I can't believe the info I've come across in an hour of browsing.

Thank you much in advance.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Newbie here to TUG and the timeshare system. Please excuse me if I've violated procedures but let me know for the future.

Attended HRC Kaanapali sales pitch, and though enticing, the costs were prohibitive.
Came across a resale (odd year) on a 2bd unit midlevel week 49 for $22000. Closing costs will be $1848 ($848 closing, $650 transfer and $349 admin). Maintenance fee $2200.

I am new to this world and would like advice from the experienced pro's.

Seems like the deal is decent. We've stayed here and love it and the kids love it. We can easily see ourselves coming here every other year. I understand that there are restrictions about converting the HRC points into WOH points, which I could care less about. We would like to purchase it but have heard about the deathtraps of timeshare ownership. I've read the newbie purchasing list of questions, which is great. Could you please advise me on the following?

1) Is Timesharebrokerservices a reputable company to work with?
2) Odds of Hyatt exercising Right of first refusal with this purchase?
3) Have there been problems with Hyatt and exorbitant maintenance fee management and increases?
4) What are the other "fees" and forced memberships I will be required to join if I purchase? I've read there's some ILG membership that I will be forced to join. Am I able to opt out of that?
5) Any last "pearls of wisdom" about the resort and the process would be greatly appreciated. I can't believe the info I've come across in an hour of browsing.

Thank you much in advance.

Hi Echoboy ,

There's a Hyatt Forum on this site with very helpful information for current and future Hyatt owners.
Here's the link - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/hyatt-residence-club.48/ (see the STICKY threads at the top of the forum).

Don't make a decision based on what your heard at your timeshare presentation (FACT vs FICTION). Definitely take the time to learn about the PROs vs CONs before you buy any timeshare. Here's a thread on HRC Kaanapali - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/kaanapali-things-to-know.269260/

Good Luck and Welcome to TUG :thumbup:

Echoboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Alwysonvac. I actually came across one of your replies with a picture of the Redweek resales for HKB and looks like my "deal" isn't the "one that got away" deal that was, of course, told to me. Silly newbie mistake by me. Now I need to search for SMTN, seems like they have a questionable reputation. Thank you.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
This is a low demand fixed week 49. It is easy to exchange into internally using 2,200 points from another Hyatt week. If you must stay during week 49 every other year, then it may make sense to buy it. Otherwise buying a 2,200 point week elsewhere in the Hyatt system makes more sense since maintenance fees are so much lower. For example, a Florida 2,200 point annual week with about $1,200 maintenance fees recently sold on eBay for about $4,000.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
You will also pay program fee in even years actually increasing your fees more.

Echoboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to you both Echino and breezez. How do I find out which are low demand weeks? I'm confused by the yearlong diamond status for HKB, and thought that made the demand the same.

Also, isn't the program fee in the maintenance fees? I thought I would pay that during my year of use. Please advise.

Thanks

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Hawaii is popular all year but the demand is higher for school holiday weeks, so all summer, fall break, spring break, thanksgiving, xmas/ny.

Its possible Hyatt designated all weeks diamond status so they all get the same number of points.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thanks to you both Echino and breezez. How do I find out which are low demand weeks? I'm confused by the yearlong diamond status for HKB, and thought that made the demand the same.

Also, isn't the program fee in the maintenance fees? I thought I would pay that during my year of use. Please advise.

Thanks

The best way to determine whether Hyatt thinks these are low demand weeks is by Hyatt's original developer prices for, for example, a week 49 unit and a week 51 unit; the difference was substantial (original retail varied between ~ $45K and ~$90K).

Weeks 48-50 were the cheapest originally; those weeks are low demand virtually everywhere. But they are excellent weeks to be on Maui: whale season and very cold in many U.S. locations.

Echoboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the insight. Interesting to look st it from the developers viewpoint.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
This is a low demand fixed week 49. It is easy to exchange into internally using 2,200 points from another Hyatt week. If you must stay during week 49 every other year, then it may make sense to buy it. Otherwise buying a 2,200 point week elsewhere in the Hyatt system makes more sense since maintenance fees are so much lower. For example, a Florida 2,200 point annual week with about $1,200 maintenance fees recently sold on eBay for about $4,000.

We had the opportunity to stay at the HRC Ka’anapali twice on one of their special rate 5 day deals (this last time on the 10th floor, center!) - not sure how we got so lucky! And of course, we were wowed as much as the 1st time and started looking into resale. Many properties seem to go for cheap on eBay, including the Ka’anapali location, but they don’t all pass ROFR, especially diamond season (there is a link on here somewhere of ROFR database). However, it’s worth a try!

I know that this is not exactly comparing apples to apples, but we ended up buying a 2BR platinum season contract at Westin Kierland on eBay for just $9800; including closing costs and transfer fee (WKV - transfer still pending), primarily so that we could trade into one of the Westin Ka’anapali resorts. From what I understand, we got an amazing deal! We love Maui and we love high end time sharing, but we didn’t want a high buy in or high MF... plus we’d visit Maui at most EOY. From what I gleaned after much research here on TUG, since Westin has quite the collection of properties at Ka’anapali, using Star Options to trade into it (esp during less popular times, most likely island view) would be fairly easy (easier than if AI were to buy Hyatt Pinon or Beach House, for example, and try to trade into Ka’anapali). This is moot if you really want that guaranteed oceanview or oceanfront room at Hyatt Ka’anapali. I do understand that THAT property is top notch, and not just the accommodations and location, but the staff as well.